PDA

View Full Version : NFL from the sidelines - Week 2 OTAs begin

mesaSteeler
05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/05/week-2-otas-begin.html
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Week 2 OTAs begin

As promised, I watched Rashard Mendenhall a little more closely today as the Steelers began their second week of OTAs.

Mendenhall looked good on the inside running plays and made an excellent cut on one play in particular, doing a nice jump stop and change of direction.

He looks like he's running with more confidence.

I hadn't noticed it before, but former Canadian Football League star Stefan Logan was working as a wide receiver.

The 5-6 Logan, dubbed "Half-Pint" by his teammates, was an explosive running back in the CFL, but probably wouldn't have the size to contribute at that position in the NFL.

He'll be fighting a numbers game no matter where he lines up, but playing wide receiver would give him a better chance of making this team.

The Steelers did some work out of a 4-3 defense at times today.

That should get the internet posters going.

I almost forgot this one, but it was interesting.

Former center Jeff Hartings was in the building today and I barely recognized him. Hartings looks like he's down to about 220 pounds.

Psyychoward86
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Wow, lots of interesting things going on. Working out of the 4-3 has mean particularly mesmerized.

Galax Steeler
05-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Good to hear that Mendenhall seems to be doing better and running with more confidence. I hope he comes out on fire this year and show why we picked him at no.1 last year.

PeckerWood
05-27-2009, 05:24 AM
i would like to see mendy take off with the help of a improved o-line this year

i like the 4-3 defensive look remember the titans ran the ball against the Steelers 3-4 last year

4-3 defense might get the #1 draft choice hood and second year LB Davis more playing time and LB Farrior / NT Hampton a rest

another dimension of the great Steelers defense, offenses will have to practice against

i have been waiting for the Steelers defense to become a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3 defense its the next evolution in a pro defense scheme

the first was in the defensive backfield, nickel and dime defenses

now throw in a 3-4 or 4-3 front with a base/nickel/dime behind it, the combinations of defensive schemes and blitzes are endless

Woodley DE / OLB
PolamaluSS/ OLB
Hood DE/DT
Timmons a LB with speed like Lambert that can get down field in a zone the tampa 2 defense which was one of the Steelers defense from the 70s when they were a 4-3 defense.

then in future drafts the Steelers can draft more players to fit this hybrid 3-4 / 4-3 defense.

I would like to see the Steelers defense always be the cutting edge defense that other football programs want to copy

heck a 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid defense with the right personnel might be the next defense to shut down or slow down the college spread offenses

ok i'm done rambling on about the 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid defense.

:blah:

LVSteelersfan
05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Now that slow of Foote is gone, that hybrid 4-3 might work occasionally. Timmons is fast enough to cover back there. Since Woodley can play some DE, it makes it possible especially if Hood can do his thing. I like it.

GO MENDY !!!!!!!!! We won't even remember Fast Willie by next year. (sorry, had to take a shot at Willie again but he is disappointing to me)

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, here comes the speculation about a 4-3, so Hampton is not resigned and Keisel is.....so the front 4 would be Woodley, Smith, Hood, Keisel.

Then the LB's become Harrison, Farrior, Timmons. The positive is that Timmons is the prototypical 4-3 weakside LB. but I dont know that Harrison is a better strongside LB. I think it may be more of a situational thing if it ever happens. Cant see switching to a 4-3.

BlastFurnace
05-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah, here comes the speculation about a 4-3, so Hampton is not resigned and Keisel is.....so the front 4 would be Woodley, Smith, Hood, Keisel.

Then the LB's become Harrison, Farrior, Timmons. The positive is that Timmons is the prototypical 4-3 weakside LB. but I dont know that Harrison is a better strongside LB. I think it may be more of a situational thing if it ever happens. Cant see switching to a 4-3.

I think as long as Lebeau is here, we won't be switching over to a 4-3. Besides, I don't want to mess with the best OLB tandem we have had in a 3-4 defense. Harrison and Woodley did in a 3-4 what no other OLB combo has ever done for us. They were even better than Lloyd and Greene.