PDA

View Full Version : Mundy impresses Steelers with smarts, skills

Galax Steeler
05-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Twenty-nine has significance for Steelers safety Ryan Mundy beyond the fact that it is his uniform number.

It explains why coach Mike Tomlin, among others, call the Woodland Hills High graduate "Wonderlic."

When Mundy took the Wonderlic while visiting the Steelers prior to the 2008 NFL Draft, he tackled 29 of the 50 questions on the aptitude test during an allotted 12-minute time period. What earned Mundy his moniker from Tomlin? He didn't miss any of the questions he answered.

"I've never heard of that," Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton said.

If Mundy does as well on his the tests that lie ahead specifically the ones he will face in training camp he could find himself playing a significant role for his hometown team.

The Steelers, who are not deep at safety, could afford to get younger on the back end of their defense, especially after not spending a draft pick there in April.

All of that translates into an opportunity for Mundy that is as golden as the color of the jerseys he and the other Steelers defensive players have been wearing during offseason practice.

Not that Mundy, the Trib's WPIAL Class AAAA Player of the Year in 2002, will win a roster spot or a job over the next couple of weeks. Tomlin, after all, dismissively refers to this time of the year as "football in shorts."

But one thing that won't hurt Mundy is the favorable impression he has been making during the practices that resumed Tuesday at the team's South Side facility.

"I was just walking off the field thinking basically every day he's done something good," Horton said last week.

Mundy has been getting plenty of work while running with the first-team defense.

And with starters Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark not taking part in the offseason practices the former is training in California; the latter is still recovering from shoulder surgery Mundy has been playing both strong and free safety.

"It's a great experience for me," said Mundy, whom the Steelers drafted in the sixth round out of West Virginia in 2008.

The Steelers let Anthony Smith, once considered the team's future at free safety, leave in March as a restricted free agent. Tyrone Carter, the primary backup at both safety spots, is 33 and going into the final year of his contract.

If his young legs make Mundy, 24, an appealing prospect at safety, his lack of experience doesn't appear to concern the Steelers.

"Nothing fazes the kid," Horton said. "I don't think, 'Oh, he hasn't played a lot of plays' or 'Oh, he doesn't know what he's doing.' It's like he's a veteran, and we're treating him like that.

"We plan to give him a heck of a lot of work during the preseason and see what we have. We're counting on him."

Mundy got little playing time during his first preseason. The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder logged fewer than 10 plays before sustaining a high ankle sprain in the Steelers' 2008 preseason opener against the Eagles.

The Steelers took the calculated risk of releasing Mundy, figuring teams hadn't seen enough of him to sign him while he was recovering from the injury. They later re-signed Mundy, and he said the time he spent practicing with the Steelers has prepared him to make a significant jump in his second season.

"I just feel like I've got to stay healthy," Mundy said. "I know I'm going to be in shape. I know the playbook. So if I stay healthy, I feel like everything will take care of itself."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_626881.html

PeckerWood
05-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Twenty-nine has significance for Steelers safety Ryan Mundy beyond the fact that it is his uniform number.

It explains why coach Mike Tomlin, among others, call the Woodland Hills High graduate "Wonderlic."

When Mundy took the Wonderlic while visiting the Steelers prior to the 2008 NFL Draft, he tackled 29 of the 50 questions on the aptitude test during an allotted 12-minute time period. What earned Mundy his moniker from Tomlin? He didn't miss any of the questions he answered.

"I've never heard of that," Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton said.

If Mundy does as well on his the tests that lie ahead specifically the ones he will face in training camp he could find himself playing a significant role for his hometown team.

The Steelers, who are not deep at safety, could afford to get younger on the back end of their defense, especially after not spending a draft pick there in April.

All of that translates into an opportunity for Mundy that is as golden as the color of the jerseys he and the other Steelers defensive players have been wearing during offseason practice.

Not that Mundy, the Trib's WPIAL Class AAAA Player of the Year in 2002, will win a roster spot or a job over the next couple of weeks. Tomlin, after all, dismissively refers to this time of the year as "football in shorts."

But one thing that won't hurt Mundy is the favorable impression he has been making during the practices that resumed Tuesday at the team's South Side facility.

"I was just walking off the field thinking basically every day he's done something good," Horton said last week.

Mundy has been getting plenty of work while running with the first-team defense.

And with starters Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark not taking part in the offseason practices the former is training in California; the latter is still recovering from shoulder surgery Mundy has been playing both strong and free safety.

"It's a great experience for me," said Mundy, whom the Steelers drafted in the sixth round out of West Virginia in 2008.

The Steelers let Anthony Smith, once considered the team's future at free safety, leave in March as a restricted free agent. Tyrone Carter, the primary backup at both safety spots, is 33 and going into the final year of his contract.

If his young legs make Mundy, 24, an appealing prospect at safety, his lack of experience doesn't appear to concern the Steelers.

"Nothing fazes the kid," Horton said. "I don't think, 'Oh, he hasn't played a lot of plays' or 'Oh, he doesn't know what he's doing.' It's like he's a veteran, and we're treating him like that.

"We plan to give him a heck of a lot of work during the preseason and see what we have. We're counting on him."

Mundy got little playing time during his first preseason. The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder logged fewer than 10 plays before sustaining a high ankle sprain in the Steelers' 2008 preseason opener against the Eagles.

The Steelers took the calculated risk of releasing Mundy, figuring teams hadn't seen enough of him to sign him while he was recovering from the injury. They later re-signed Mundy, and he said the time he spent practicing with the Steelers has prepared him to make a significant jump in his second season.

"I just feel like I've got to stay healthy," Mundy said. "I know I'm going to be in shape. I know the playbook. So if I stay healthy, I feel like everything will take care of itself."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_626881.html

Would like to see Mundy really come on this year, it would be great for the Steelers defense to have two guys on the field at the same time who can play SS or FS. Just think what LeBeau could do with interchangable Safeties.

DACEB
05-27-2009, 06:07 AM
This kid will quickly become a fan favorite. I have him as one of the young guys to make an impact this season.

We're starting to put together a very heady defensive backfield. Troy, Clark, DeShea and Mundy will make for an extremely football savvy safety tandem.

MDSteel15
05-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Come on Mundy! Would love to see him succeed.....

stlrtruck
05-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Imagine that, the Steelers drafting a smart football player.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I really am beginning to think that Mundy must have been impressing enough last year to make the FO believe they could forego a safety in the draft this year.

He is definately one of the players we should be keeping ours eyes on this preseason. Hills, Sweed, Mendenhall, and Mundy are all at pivitol points in their career, and the progression of these four could be critical to us staying on top.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I really am beginning to think that Mundy must have been impressing enough last year to make the FO believe they could forego a safety in the draft this year.

He is definately one of the players we should be keeping ours eyes on this preseason. Hills, Sweed, Mendenhall, and Mundy are all at pivitol points in their career, and the progression of these four could be critical to us staying on top.

I agree that Sweed, Mendenhall will contribute this season. Mundy will fight to be active on gameday and play special teams. Hills would have to show that he is more capable than Trai Essex to dress on gameday and I dont think that happens this year unless there is an injury.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I agree that Sweed, Mendenhall will contribute this season. Mundy will fight to be active on gameday and play special teams. Hills would have to show that he is more capable than Trai Essex to dress on gameday and I dont think that happens this year unless there is an injury.

Mundy is still at a pivitol point in his career though....This year should be the year that he will need to show that he can contribute and be the replacement for Clark in the future.

Same with Hills...He needs to show THIS year that he is a player and can take over soon for some of the linemen who might demand high money in the near future.

lilyoder6
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
if mundy impresses enough, he could become the #1 backup safety for us...

it does seem tho, that either way, this is possibly the last yr for carter to be here

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
if mundy impresses enough, he could become the #1 backup safety for us...

it does seem tho, that either way, this is possibly the last yr for carter to be here

I agree, unless he decides to stay at vet minimum or at least at a price the FO considers a value.

steelreserve
05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Now this would be pretty great if it worked out.

Any time you can snag a good backup in the 6th round -- much less a guy who could potentially be a decent starter one day -- that's a bona fide draft steal.

SteelMember
05-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I think this guy was showing what he had last year, imo. Before the cheap shot he took in that pre-season game (Max Jean-Gilles I believe), I think he may have made a spot for himself then. :noidea:

With the absence of ASS.Smith, and the only proven safety backup T.Carter on the roster, I think he has a very good shot to make the final 53... Unless your of the school that thinks a CB can make the transition to save that extra spot. (Lewis or Townsend) Other than that, there's Tony's guy, Derrick Richardson, but I think he's PS material at his point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Mundy is still at a pivitol point in his career though....This year should be the year that he will need to show that he can contribute and be the replacement for Clark in the future.

Same with Hills...He needs to show THIS year that he is a player and can take over soon for some of the linemen who might demand high money in the near future.

I think most of these guys will get more than 2 seasons to prove themselves. Players like Willie Reid, Trai Essex, Kemo, Will Blackwell, Lee Mays, all got more than 2 training camps before they were "at a pivotal point".

I think the fact that the Steelers didnt draft any OT's indicates they believe the answer is already on their roster in Hills, Essex, Colon, Capizzi. Starks seems to want big money long term........or free agency.

The Definiti0n
05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Less reports on future camp cuts and more stories on Mendenhall. I need to know what he is doing 24/7.

LVSteelersfan
05-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Tyrone Carter will be gone. He is not that good to keep him hanging around into his mid and late thirties (unless he takes vet minimum to keep playing) I hope Mundy works out. That would be great.

steelreserve
05-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Less reports on future camp cuts and more stories on Mendenhall. I need to know what he is doing 24/7.

According to espn.com, this morning he went grocery shopping, and right now he's taking a shit.

Steelman16
05-27-2009, 02:03 PM
I know the playbook.

Let the man play then!

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-27-2009, 03:57 PM
According to espn.com, this morning he went grocery shopping, and right now he's taking a shit.

:rofl: Is that ESPN or TMZ??

msafford
05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
:rofl: Is that ESPN or TMZ??

You mean there's a difference?

Psyychoward86
05-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Besides the resignings and the draft, this is some of the best news ive heard about the Steelers since the Superbowl :tt:

DACEB
05-27-2009, 07:13 PM
if this kid can take over for carter, which i believe he can, that will show just how smart he is. carter was backup at both safety spots last year. i think mundy will this year, with deshea as an option.

that would impact st's as well. that's making an impact for a late round pick.

KeiselPower99
05-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I predict Mundy will be the backup to Clark this year and may be the starter in 2010.

HughC
05-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I can see Mundy having a big impact on special teams.

Other than that I don't really want to see him on the field till 2010.

The Definiti0n
05-27-2009, 11:13 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Galax Steeler
05-28-2009, 03:34 AM
I predict Mundy will be the backup to Clark this year and may be the starter in 2010.

Agreed I think we will see more of this kid this year.