PDA

View Full Version : Because I'm hungry and it's almost lunch.........

trauben
05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Any of you got any good marinade recipes for grilling some chicken?

I've been searching online for some and would like to know what you guys like to douse the bird with.

Got anything good? I'll be grilling some chicken later this week and would like to know what to pick up on the way home.

Something I've realized you don't do at work when you're hungry........
http://www.black-olive.com/images/Grilled%20Chicken.jpg
Google food recipes.:drooling::drooling::yummy:

GBMelBlount
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
LOL.

I cooked up 6 chicken breast tenderloins this morning while I made eggs, sausage, toast (and coffee) for my wife. That is all I eat 8a - 5pm Monday thru Friday.....chicken. :chuckle: Needless to say I would love some input too!

As you probably know, Steelerstrength is a world champion bodybuilder and eats a lot of chicken. I know he has some very good chicken marinades/recipes. :thumbsup:

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Depends on what you're going for when you like your chicken.

I like to take a barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is the best IMO) and a good Rub (Canadian Steak Seasoning) and combine the two.

The salt from the rub will keep most of the juices inside the bird and give you a very pasty coating. (This is for when you forget to actually prepare a marinade, which I often do.) It's good with Steak/Ribs as well.

Some good marinades...

If you're into spicy chicken (or steak/ribs)

I like to layer the bottom of a baking dish with some thinly sliced sweet onions. Take half a jar of jalapenos and layer the onions with the peppers. I place the chicken on top of the veggies and then dump the rest of the jar (juice and all) on top. Cover and chill in the fridge for 24 hours. I have a small "marinade" fridge so that the smells don't get into the rest of the food. If possible, consider doing that as well.

trauben
05-27-2009, 11:48 AM
LOL.

I cooked up 6 chicken breast tenderloins this morning while I made eggs, sausage, toast (and coffee) for my wife. That is all I eat 8a - 5pm Monday thru Friday.....chicken. :chuckle: Needless to say I would love some input too!
Holy Smokes! Thats some serious eating there! I got full just reading that menu! LOL

I had Banana Nut Cherrios and skim milk around 5:30 myself. Your menu sounded better by far!

As you probably know, Steelerstrength is a world champion bodybuilder and eats a lot of chicken. I know he has some very good chicken marinades/recipes. :thumbsup:
No, I didn't know. I'll look forward to reading his input.

Depends on what you're going for when you like your chicken.
"Edible" and filling! LOL!

I like to take a barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is the best IMO) and a good Rub (Canadian Steak Seasoning) and combine the two.

The salt from the rub will keep most of the juices inside the bird and give you a very pasty coating. (This is for when you forget to actually prepare a marinade, which I often do.) It's good with Steak/Ribs as well.

Some good marinades...

If you're into spicy chicken (or steak/ribs)

I like to layer the bottom of a baking dish with some thinly sliced sweet onions. Take half a jar of jalapenos and layer the onions with the peppers. I place the chicken on top of the veggies and then dump the rest of the jar (juice and all) on top. Cover and chill in the fridge for 24 hours. I have a small "marinade" fridge so that the smells don't get into the rest of the food. If possible, consider doing that as well.
Man, that sounds good. I'm not really all that into "hot" spicy stuff. I like to keep my "A" player cool, calm and collective, if ya know what I mean! :wink02:

I think I'm beginning to regret only having those grapefruit halves for lunch. But I got a 3k coming up in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to "lighten" the load so I don't look too pathetic out there versus my daughter. Thats why the chicken is hitting the menu big time.

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Obviously, I'm a spice nut:

SPICY CHICKEN MARINADE/BASTING SAUCE

1/2 c. Zesty Italian salad dressing
1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. wine vinegar

Place contents into small saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring continuously. May be used to baste chicken while barbecuing or broiling, or as a marinade by placing mixture in baking dish and soaking chicken for 30 to 45 minutes, turning once, prior to cooking

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1839,159161-249197,00.html (I have this site saved into my Faves at home.)

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry, the last post won't do you much good...the nice part about my BBQ/Rub mix is it's not spicy. (My wife is a spice wuss, so if she can handle it, you should be able to as well.)

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
CHICKEN MARINADE

1 c. salad oil
3/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. French's mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. liquid smoke

Marinade boneless, skinless chicken breast several hours and put on grill (gas or charcoal) medium to low heat 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on thickness.

The wife likes this one.

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Most of my family (especially my brother's who don't care for spicy food) enjoy this one:

FAJITA MARINADE FOR BEEF, CHICKEN, OR
PORK

1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. lime juice
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. skirt steak, chicken breast (deboned), or pork tenderloin
1/4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tbsp. paprika
1 can beer
1 lg. onion, sliced
Flour tortillas

Mix all spices together. Add beer to complete the marinade. Add meat.

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Last recommended chicken dish:

MARINADE FOR CHICKEN

2/3 c. orange juice
3 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. honey
1/4 c. corn oil
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash

Mix together. Place chicken in container, pour mixture over chicken. Marinade 2 or 3 hours or overnight. Grill or broil.

(I double up on the honey to thicken it a bit more...but as with all recipes, adjust to taste.)

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
After your 3K, celebrate with:

S3X IN A PAN

1 devils food cake mix (can be delight)
1 jar Caramel Butterscotch Topping
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 (8 oz.) containers Cool Whip
4 regular size Snicker candy bars (freeze)

Prepare cake mix according to the directions on the package. (Bake in a 13x9 inch cake pan.) Remove cake from oven when done; make holes in cake with a straw. Pour butterscotch topping on cake.
Place cake back in warm oven - making sure the oven is turned off - for 10 minutes. Remove cake and pour sweetened condensed milk over top. Put chocolate chips over milk. Put 2 containers of Cool Whip on top of chocolate chips. Break SNICKERS® bars with a hammer and put on top of the Cool Whip. Place in refrigerator until ready to eat. This is better if made the day before.

trauben
05-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Damn. You da man (except for affiliation with football teams).

Thanks! I'm printing these out.

trauben
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
After your 3K, celebrate with:

S3X IN A PAN

1 devils food cake mix (can be delight)
1 jar Caramel Butterscotch Topping
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 (8 oz.) containers Cool Whip
4 regular size Snicker candy bars (freeze)

Prepare cake mix according to the directions on the package. (Bake in a 13x9 inch cake pan.) Remove cake from oven when done; make holes in cake with a straw. Pour butterscotch topping on cake.
Place cake back in warm oven - making sure the oven is turned off - for 10 minutes. Remove cake and pour sweetened condensed milk over top. Put chocolate chips over milk. Put 2 containers of Cool Whip on top of chocolate chips. Break SNICKERS® bars with a hammer and put on top of the Cool Whip. Place in refrigerator until ready to eat. This is better if made the day before.
Now I really didn't need to see that. :laughing:

I'll pass, but will remember it for the holidays. :thumbsup:

trauben
05-27-2009, 12:20 PM

1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. wine vinegar

Place contents into small saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring continuously. May be used to baste chicken while barbecuing or broiling, or as a marinade by placing mixture in baking dish and soaking chicken for 30 to 45 minutes, turning once, prior to cooking

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1839,159161-249197,00.html (I have this site saved into my Faves at home.)
Actually, I could use this one only take out the Tabasco sauce.

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Damn. You da man (except for affiliation with football teams).

Thanks! I'm printing these out.

My wife and I like to cook so much that we (literally) have two full kitchens (one upstairs and one down stairs, stoves, full size fridges, microwaves, pots, pans, the whole shebang.)

I do my own twists with all recipes anyways. Italian dressing with a few other touches is the simplest marinade that most people enjoy.

Vincent
05-27-2009, 01:11 PM

1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1/4 tsp. red pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. wine vinegar

That's a good marinade recipe.

I used Ken's Greek as a chicken marinade for years. My wife and I have a problem with MSG, so I had to develop an alternative. Decided to go toward balsamic. So this is where we are at this point...

1/2 cup Olive Oil - doesn't have to be fancy
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar - I use Star 15 yr old Balsamic vinegar from Modena. $10/qt @ Sam's - best Balsamic value on the planet!
2T ground D&A Tuscan Herbs - http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=8260
2T Flora granulated garlic
1T onion powder
1T fresh course ground mixed pepper to taste
Sea salt to taste. We use Tony Chachere's No Salt instead. http://www.cajunspice.com/seasoning/index.cfm#

These are guess amounts for 4 boneless skinless breasts. I eyeball everything.

Whisk all ingredients together in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Toss the chicken and cover. Or pop it all in a zip lock bag and mush it all around until everything is really coated. The longer it sits in the fridge the better. 6 hrs best.

Grill them hot for 2-3 minutes a side, then back off the heat until desired doneness. Baste before each turn with the remaining marinade.

Take off the grill onto the serving dish and quickly cover with foil. Let them "rest" for at least 5 minutes. That's the secret with any grilling - let them rest. My wife and I have spirited :chuckle: discussions about optimum rest time. I say the longer the better.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Any of you got any good marinade recipes for grilling some chicken?

Not the "healthiest" recipe you may get, but it is yummy....here ya go.

1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of garlic powder (I use more but I LOVE garlic)
3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 lime, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup of brown sugar (sorry)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Whisk together all the ingredients beginning except olive oil and pepper...Then go ahead and them in. Place 6 chicken breasts in the mixture, cover and let
chicken marinate in the fridge 8 hours or overnight.

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 01:51 PM
1/2 cup Olive Oil - doesn't have to be fancy
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar - I use Star 15 yr old Balsamic vinegar from Modena. $10/qt @ Sam's - best Balsamic value on the planet! LOVE This stuff
2T ground D&A Tuscan Herbs - http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=8260
2T Flora granulated garlic Granulated? Have to look into that
1T onion powder
1T fresh course ground mixed pepper to taste
Sea salt to taste. We use Tony Chachere's No Salt instead. http://www.cajunspice.com/seasoning/index.cfm#

Now that sounds like a good recipe...I think with the Tuscan Herbs, I'd toss in some of my cajun spice with it. No-Salt makes me retch...so I'll stick with the sea salt.

All the good cooks eyeball it. I take a recipe and say, that looks likea a T. It's how my momma raised me.

Vincent
05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
No-Salt makes me retch...so I'll stick with the sea salt.

I understand the salt thing. We need to avoid sodium to the extent possible, so I don't use salt except sea salt occasionally where necessary. Having said that, Tony's is an excellent substitute. It's Cajun. Has as much pepper as no-salt.

But in the meantime, enjoy your salt!

All the good cooks eyeball it. I take a recipe and say, that looks likea a T. It's how my momma raised me.

And the corollary is "real men" are good cooks. That has to be true, because just as men won't use maps or read instructions, seldom do measures come into play. Except some down and inches.:chuckle:

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I understand the salt thing. We need to avoid sodium to the extent possible, so I don't use salt except sea salt occasionally where necessary. Having said that, Tony's is an excellent substitute. It's Cajun. Has as much pepper as no-salt.

But in the meantime, enjoy your salt! :drink:

I try to avoid salt as well, though my rubs (like the Canadien Steak) is chock full of it. The only salt on my food is the salt cooked into the food. Fresh (or frozen) veggies (as opposed to can), the whole nine-yards. High blood pressure is rampant in my family. Unfortunately, I can't eat No-salt. I have every flavor of Mrs. Dash they make and sell in my area.

trauben
05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
And the corollary is "real men" are good cooks. That has to be true, because just as men won't use maps or read instructions, seldom do measures come into play. Except some down and inches.:chuckle:
:rofl::toofunny::rofl:

Vincent
05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I try to avoid salt as well, though my rubs (like the Canadien Steak) is chock full of it. The only salt on my food is the salt cooked into the food. Fresh (or frozen) veggies (as opposed to can), the whole nine-yards. High blood pressure is rampant in my family. Unfortunately, I can't eat No-salt. I have every flavor of Mrs. Dash they make and sell in my area.

You know what's bizarre? No-salt anything is potassium. Has the same effect on high blood pressure as salt. :banging: So the only no-salt I use is Tony's, and usually its in a preparation that requires salt - eg taco seasoning or Rendezvous dry rub for ribs. I rationalize that "its OK cuz there's no salt". :rolleyes:

Mrs Dash in any form is the bomb. :applaudit::tt02::tt::tt03:

Vincent
05-27-2009, 02:15 PM
:rofl::toofunny::rofl:

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/elvis/elvis.wav

NJarhead
05-27-2009, 02:16 PM
CHICKEN MARINADE

1 c. salad oil
3/4 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. French's mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. liquid smoke

Marinade boneless, skinless chicken breast several hours and put on grill (gas or charcoal) medium to low heat 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on thickness.

The wife likes this one.

Even though I hate French's Mustard, I may try this one XFL. The rest of the ingredients are many of my faves.

xfl2001fan
05-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Even though I hate French's Mustard, I may try this one XFL. The rest of the ingredients are many of my faves.

Just remember, that recipe calls for French's...but I don't carry French's mustard in my shopping list. Nobody in my house likes the flavor of that mustard, so the wife get's something else. (Don't remember what though...as I don't eat mustard on anything...it's only good to cook with.)

Change it up to taste. If you have a different mustard you like, by all means. Most of my favorite recipes are so basic/simplistic that you'd wonder why they're good...but it's the little tweaks, changes and additions that make them work.

One of my favorite game day recipes is an old family recipe called Alpo.

1lb Ground Beef
1lb Sausage
1 big block of Velveeta Cheese.

Brown the beef/sausage together, drain/rinse. Cut the velveeta up into small blcoks and toss all into a crockpot...stir occasionally. Makes a cheesy-sloppy joe like mixture. Slap on a bun and you're ready to go.

Variations involve: Fresh veggies cooked in with it (chopped pepper/onions is the easy choice)

Spiced with your favorite spices (i.e. garlic, anything Mrs. Dash, dried habanero powder).

You could toss in some salsa and substitute a couple of small blocks of mexican velveeta for a siesta style party.

Use your imagination when you cook. If you know what you like already, it's hard to go wrong.

Vincent
05-27-2009, 02:53 PM
One of my favorite game day recipes is an old family recipe called Alpo.

1lb Ground Beef
1lb Sausage
1 big block of Velveeta Cheese.

This is the big one!!!! Lizbith Honey, I'm comin'!!!! :rofl::toofunny::rofl:

Alpo. I freekin love it!!! That has got to be in another world. But I think a pound of sausage added to anything is great. :chuckle:

Lizbith Honey, I'm comin'!!!!

If you know what you like already, it's hard to go wrong.

The compass of good cooks.

nojobny
05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I usually just make my own. No recipe just whatever jumps out at me. But if you want to actually buy one, I've found this one is fantastic.

http://www.lawrys.com/~/media/Images/Sites/Lawrys/ProductDetail/product_steakchop.ashx?w=240&h=271&as=1

http://www.lawrys.com/Products/Marinades/Steak--Chop.aspx

tony hipchest
05-27-2009, 09:11 PM
my quickest, easiest, favoritest chicken-

boneless skinless breast or tenders
1 bottle of Kikkoman "teriyaki baste and glaze"

throw chicken on grill.

baste with sauce.

keep basting.

use unused sauce for dip.

eat leftovers cold the next morning while pouring the remaining amount of cold sauce on.

i love that stuff. its like candy in a bottle.

HometownGal
05-27-2009, 09:19 PM

I would think you could substitute some Gulden's dark brown or even Dijon to give it that extra "kick". :thumbsup:

I agree with Vincent - Mrs. Dash is awesome! :thumbsup: I don't use anything else in any of my recipes.

tony hipchest
05-27-2009, 10:08 PM
grilled buffalo wings anyone?

marinate separated wings in Newmans Own "oil and vinegar".

put on grill and repeatedly baste with Franks red hot sauce.

feel free to coat finished wings with additional butter and red hot sauce mix. (just dont put the sauce in the microwave- it sparks and flames.)

X-Terminator
05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Speaking of Mrs. Dash, I'm sure some of you know they make marinades as well, that are salt-free? They have 5 different versions and all of them are good. Give those a shot and see how you like them!

steelax04
06-01-2009, 12:11 PM
For those spice freaks... this is my fave.

Jamican Jerk

1/2 cup ground allspice berries
1/2+ cup packed brown sugar
6 to 8 garlic cloves
4 to 6 Scotch bonnet peppers (or habanero since Scotch bonnets are tough to find)
1 tablespoon ground thyme or 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
2 bunches escallions (green onions)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons soy sauce to moisten
Preparation:
Place allspice, brown sugar, garlic, scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, scallions, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and soy sauce in a food processor and blend until smooth.

You may use allspice berries, if available, but use enough to give the equivalent of 1/2 cup ground. (Allspice berries and scotch bonnets are key ingredients.) Keep this sauce refrigerated and it will keep forever. Feel free to increase the hot peppers and garlic.

Rub the meat (chicken, pork or beef) with the seasoning. If using a pork shoulder, score the fat and rub in. With chicken, be sure to rub under skin and in cavities. Can also be used with fish, but use a firm-fleshed fish like grouper.

Marinate overnight. Grill over a low fire until done. Charcoal is best, but not essential. Meat will be smoked "pinkish" when done, and the skin will be nice and dark. Chop meat into pieces, and serve traditionally with hard-dough bread and Jamaican Red Stripe Beer.

I've done wings, breasts, thighs, beef ribs, and pork so far with this. The best, by far, has been the pork. Just a regular pork roast marinated for two days and cooked over indirect heat for two+ hours. I've also switched the recipe up by varying the brown sugar (more) and allspice (less) for a more mild sauce. I don't think there's really a way (moral or otherwise) to make a 'mild' Jamaican jerk sauce though...

xfl2001fan
06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Print

Awaiting filing into my recipe book at home

Thanks bud! That looks awsome...and I know I'll be making some in the near future. I wonder if I could put some Balsamic Vinegar in it, to thin the sauce out and make more of a "hot sauce" instead of just a rub.

steelax04
06-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I use the soy sauce to work the consistency. However, the traditional Jamaican jerk is cooked to almost black on the meat, so having it a little thicker to really stick to the meat helps. But there's no reason why this couldn't be more of a sauce!