PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Cowher POS, rooted against Pens

thumper
05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
I was waiting to see if Cowher would "fire up the crowd" for the Canes - as he had done with other play offs series - when his hometown Pens came to town. Yup, he did so. They showed him, last night, winding up the siren and being all "Cowher."

It would be one thing if he merely coached in Pgh, but didn't grow up there. But surely he grew up a Pens fan, and there he was, rooting against them, just because he now lives in NC.

I think that show low class and poor character. Pgh ppl do not turn on their teams just because they move. Cowher some how didn't learn that lesson.

And mods, I feel this belongs here. Yes, it is re: another sport but it involved the former coach of the Pgh Steelers, hence it belongs here IMO.

Oh, and Cowher? HA HA HA, your turncoat, traitorism didn't help the Canes. Go PENS!

BlastFurnace
05-27-2009, 05:46 PM
As long as he is a Steelers homer, he could pull for anyone else he wants to in any other sport as far as I'm concerned. To me, he showed his Pittsburgh loyalty when he turned down the Browns with their open ended check.

Personally, I think he has a man-crush on the Panther's job.

Fire Haley
05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
weak

you could have at least found a pic like I did

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/fail-demotivational-poster-12434237.jpg

bigjamesharrison2
05-27-2009, 06:15 PM
hahaha....FAIL

Burghfan58
05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Cowhers a dope. He mailed in his last season as a head coach and now he pulls this stunt. His explanation during the game interview as to why he roots for the Canes was ridiculous. :rofl: I just bumped him to #3 on my Steelers coaches list. I hope he doesn't show up at the Igloo and jinx the Pens.

Nighthawk
05-27-2009, 06:41 PM
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Who cares who he roots for outside of football. The man showed the Steelers loyalty he doesn't have to show every Pittsburgh team loyalty - the man is allowed to root for who he wants.

HometownGal
05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Who cares who he roots for outside of football. The man showed the Steelers loyalty he doesn't have to show every Pittsburgh team loyalty - the man is allowed to root for who he wants.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

He is playing his cards right and has become a Caniac so that when John Fox is booted if the Panthers don't make the Super Bowl next season, he has another checkmark on his resume - supporting the "hometown" teams. Personally, I don't care who he roots for - he was an awesome HC here and that is what I'll remember him for.

thumper - this really doesn't belong in the Steelers forum because Cowher isn't affiliated with the Steelers any longer. I'm going to move it to the NFL forum. Hope you understand.

thumper
05-27-2009, 07:04 PM

Sure, and a man can choose to be a big no-ball wuss. It might not an honorable thing, but he can choose to do it. Same with this.

fansince'76
05-27-2009, 07:04 PM
....The man showed the Steelers loyalty....

Yep, including being very obviously livid about the stunt LenWhale and company pulled last December with the TT.

thumper
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

He is playing his cards right and has become a Caniac so that when John Fox is booted if the Panthers don't make the Super Bowl next season, he has another checkmark on his resume - supporting the "hometown" teams. Personally, I don't care who he roots for - he was an awesome HC here and that is what I'll remember him for.

thumper - this really doesn't belong in the Steelers forum because Cowher isn't affiliated with the Steelers any longer. I'm going to move it to the NFL forum. Hope you understand.

That's fine. But if someone posts about a former Steeler is it also not allowed on the main board? Just checking.

fansince'76
05-27-2009, 07:14 PM
That's fine. But if someone posts about a former Steeler is it also not allowed on the main board? Just checking.

Depends - if the ex-Steelers player is retired and he played most or all of his career with the Steelers, we generally leave it in the Steelers forum. If he got traded or went to another team via FA and is still active with the other team, then we move them here.

HometownGal
05-27-2009, 07:17 PM

That's the way it's supposed to work. If I missed a thread involving an active player who was a former Steeler, please let me know.

Texasteel
05-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Sure, and a man can choose to be a big no-ball wuss. It might not an honorable thing, but he can choose to do it. Same with this.

Just because you don't like who someone is pulling for, doesn't make them evil, or less of a man or woman. If he had coached the Pens for all those years I might have a problem with it, but he didn't, he coached the Steelers.

I also know a lot of people that grew up in the Dallas area, and can't stand the cowboys. Just because you grow up in an area does not automatically make you a fan of the local team.

Steely McSmash
05-27-2009, 08:30 PM
I was hoping that he was going to rip of that red shirt and have some black and gold on underneath. That would have been hysterical.

I don't see how it matters who he roots for. He knows Ron Francis and is a neighbor of Cullen I think. The political angle is there of course -- He gets no benefit by being seen as a dyed in the wool, blinders on 'burgh guy.

KeiselPower99
05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I dont care who he cheers for really. But to be honest the guy lives in Raleigh. Notice he didnt have a canes jersey on.

PeckerWood
05-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Bill Cowher who?

After he retired as head coach he is not important any more.

NEPAsteeler
05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Cowher will always have a spot in the hearts of the Steelers. That was then... This is now. The man can root for whoever he pleases. It's not football. It's hockey. He lives there now, what would you expect?

HometownGal
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
He's from there, what would you expect?

The Chin is a home-bred Pittsburgh boy. His wife is from North Carolina and they both went to North Carolina State U, where they met.

HometownGal
05-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Just heard The Bus on KDKA and he's rootin' for the Pens in the SCF! :tt03::hatsoff:

NEPAsteeler
05-27-2009, 09:43 PM
The Chin is a home-bred Pittsburgh boy. His wife is from North Carolina and they both went to North Carolina State U, where they met.

My bad. It's all the same. :chuckle:

Either way, he's rootin' for the Pens in the Finals, like he said he would during his interview during Game 4. I think he said something along the lines of "This towel will become Yellow if the Pens win". Works for me!

BozMan
05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
The Canes didn't even exist until the mid 90's. They were previously the Hartford Whalers. So Cowher could not have become a fan while he and his wife were attending college.

The only way he could have gotten his new loyalty was his move to Raleigh after he retired from coaching the Steelers.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
weak

you could have at least found a pic like I did

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/fail-demotivational-poster-12434237.jpg

His teeth creep me out. overdone --- like a bad hair piece.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Dude won you guys a Super Bowl, and led you to another, and may have got you another by helping to build this current team up.

Heck us Browns fans, still consider Paul Brown pretty highly even though he started another Rival "Franchise" ;).

SteelersinCA
05-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Yeah, bashing Cowher for rooting for the Canes is worthless, maybe the dude didn't like hockey until he went to a Canes game, who knows. Does he have to like the Pirates too, I sure don't?

Preacher
05-28-2009, 04:37 AM
That's like ripping a guy for also cheering for the Texans....

Oh, wait a second.

:chuckle:

Hammer67
05-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I'm not all that concerned about Billy Boy cheering for his current hometown team. Gets in good with the locals, takes Panthers job when it opens....it's marketing genius.

Or, the guy just likes the Hurricane's style of play and is good friends with Ron Francis.

The_WARDen
05-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Cowher rooting for the Canes is all well and good...EXCEPT that he's from Pittsburgh area and he even stated that he grew up a Pens' fan. He's lived in Carolina 2 minutes now? FRAUD!

trauben
05-28-2009, 07:01 AM
As long as he is a Steelers homer, he could pull for anyone else he wants to in any other sport as far as I'm concerned. To me, he showed his Pittsburgh loyalty when he turned down the Browns with their open ended check.
Bill Cowher who?

After he retired as head coach he is not important any more.
Cowher will always have a spot in the hearts of the Steelers. That was then... This is now. The man can root for whoever he pleases. It's not football. It's hockey. He's from there, what would you expect?
I can't agree with each of the above statements enough!!!

It's what I've been saying to co-workers and friends............who cares? It's NOT football!!!!!!!
His wife is from North Carolina and they both went to North Carolina State U, where they met.
Who can blame a man for wanting to continue to get some tail by playing his cards right? LOL

Now he's rooting for us, as I'm sure he rooted for the Pens last year this time as well! That's all that matters.

Now, is it training camp yet? :noidea:

trauben
05-28-2009, 07:54 AM
Here you go thumper.......
http://www.angelhugsnsmiles.com/quiltPassBambi/thumper.gif
......here's a little something that should get that foot of your's tapping.

If you think Cowher turning coats is bad?

I'm sure the Wing fans are livid with this.................

Jerome Bettis: 'It's Time For Pens To Win It'

PITTSBURGH -- While the Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings prepare to face each other in the Stanley Cup finals for the second straight year, one person with ties to both cities is making his prediction.

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis, a Detroit native, was neutral during last year's Cup run, but this time, he's rooting for the Pens.

"Now, I think it's time for Pens to win it," said Bettis.

"Because these young guys have paid their dues. They're ready to win a championship, and they need to bring it, bring it home to Pittsburgh."

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/19588091/detail.html

I always liked the bus! :thumbsup::drink:

atlsteelers
05-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Who cares its hockey. i thought the NHL died a fews years ago! oh yeah they moved to the VS network.

just kidding i must admit i watched my first hockey of the season during the caps series.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Why would anyone care who his hocke team is....I am a pen fan however, if I lived closed to a NHL team and had the money to buy season tickets I would most likely become a fan....
Ohhh.... I do not have the same opinion on my Steelers..... GO STEELERS!

HughC
05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Ehh, no big deal; he's a former coach and not a current employee of a team from Pittsburgh.

Would be a whole lot different if he was still the current coach of a Pittsburgh team, but that's not the case.

That's where he lives now; he's rooting for the local team. Big deal.

If he starts rooting for the Panthers over the Steelers let me know. Until then, this is a non-story.

MasterOfPuppets
05-29-2009, 01:12 AM
who is this cowher you speak of ? .....:huh:

pitt
05-29-2009, 08:25 AM
I can't figure out why it matters who he roots for.

Hammer67
05-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Who cares its hockey. i thought the NHL died a fews years ago! oh yeah they moved to the VS network.

just kidding i must admit i watched my first hockey of the season during the caps series.

Blasphemy!! LOL!!

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Eh, who cares. He lives there and is supposedly good friends with Matt Cullen. If Cullen hooks him up with tickets, it's kind of rude to show up sporting the other team's gear and openly supporting them. In his heart of hearts, he was rooting for the Pens to win the series.

Not to mention, it's great pub to get his foot in the door to the hearts of Carolina fans since he's got a hard on for the Panthers job when/if it opens up.

thebus36idf
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Kind of seems weird, a coach who has been backed, paid, and admired by the fans of Pittsburgh, and he's routing against them in hockey. I love Cowher, but should he have been nuetral in this case?

I also heard on this site earlier that Pittsburgh was entertaining getting Johnson the reciever from the lions. Any word on this?

BlastFurnace
06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
I've been a lifelong diehard Steelers fan, but I have no problem pulling for my Reds against the Pirates. It happens. It's no big deal. Bill gave us 15 years of his life. I don't have a problem if he pulls against the Penguins.

I highly...highly doubt that the Steelers talked to the Lions about Calvin Johnson.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I highly...highly doubt that the Steelers talked to the Lions about Calvin Johnson.

Really that's out of character of the Rooney's if something like that did happen. I think the last big trade that may have been made was the trade for Bettis.

Isn't the motto "Build through the draft"?

WeegiesWarriors
06-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Maybe he's gunning for the NC State job.

oldschool
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
He is DEAD to me!:coffee:

AllD
06-11-2009, 02:03 PM
If he would have rooted for the Pens against the Canes his house would have been egged and TP'd.