PDA

View Full Version : Someone knock the stupid out of Burress

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-28-2009, 11:00 PM
profootballtalk.com

Burress was offered 2 months and 1200 hours community service and doesn't take it. What a stupid freaking idiot. He deserves to be in Rickers island for his shear stupidity. :doh:

We’ve been hearing for weeks now that former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress flatly has rejected opportunities to resolve criminal charges that could put him away for a minimum of 3.5 years, even though Burress would do far less time by pleading guilty to a lesser charge.

Bob Papa, the radio play-by-play announcer for the Giants and one of the hosts of Sirius NFL Radio’s The Opening Drive, elaborated on the situation today.

“This is what I’ve been told and what I’ve heard,” Papa said on the air. “They worked out something where they had it down to about a three-month jail term with actually only two months served and about 1,500 hours of community service. And I think his lawyers felt that they had a pretty good deal. He doesn’t want to go to jail at all. He shot down the deal. . . . He does not want to go to jail at all. So now coming up in another couple of weeks we’re gonna find out what’s gonna happen. But my guess is that the city of New York is not gonna back off any kind of jail time.

“Evidently, he’s gonna have to go to Riker’s Island,” Papa added. “He’s deathly afraid of going. . . . [I]f he would have just taken the deal when it originally was offered it would all be over with by now. But supposedly the community service hours and the jail time are not appealing to him. He does not understand that he is not in any kind of position of leverage. He has no leverage. He — not his representatives — he thinks he has leverage.”

Papa is right on the money. No one wants to go to jail. But when Door Number One entails two months and Door Number Two most likely will slide open to reveal a minimum of 42 months, the decision should be easy.

Then again, nothing is ever easy when it comes to Plaxico Burress.

Apparently, he thinks that lawyer Benjamin Brafman will be able to do for him what Brafman did for Sean P. Diddy Puff Daddy Puffy Hufflepuff Bo Diddley Combs, securing an acquittal on identical charges.

But there are two key differences between the two cases. For Combs, the unlicensed and loaded weapon that he allegedly had in his possession didn’t fire a bullet into his thigh. More importantly, Brafman destroyed on cross examination the witnesses who claimed that Combs pointed a gun at them.

For Burress, Exhibit A is the scar from where the bullet entered his leg. Exhibit B is the scar from where it exited. Add a dash of testimony from folks like former teammate Antonio Pierce who’ll confirm that the scars were obtained when a gun in Plax’s possession went off inside a Manhattan night club, and no amount of legal hocus pocus or mumbo jumbo or Chewbacca defenses will keep a reasonable jury from concluding that Burress is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

In America, our inalienable rights include the right to irrevocably screw up our lives. Unless someone can talk some sense into Burress soon, he’s about to provide a high-profile manifestation of that right.

fansince'76
05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
They worked out something where they had it down to about a three-month jail term with actually only two months served and about 1,500 hours of community service. And I think his lawyers felt that they had a pretty good deal. He doesn’t want to go to jail at all.

Funny, I kept hearing over and over how he was going to do "hard time" of 3½ years minimum behind bars, since New York supposedly has this "tough new law" against illegally packing a firearm and they would be making no exceptions for anyone. I said it then and I'll say it again now: riiiiight. :coffee:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Funny, I kept hearing over and over how he was going to do "hard time" of 3½ years minimum behind bars, since New York supposedly has this "tough new law" against illegally packing a firearm and they would be making no exceptions for anyone. I said it then and I'll say it again now: riiiiight. :coffee:

That "tough new law" would only apply to you and me -- athletes are exempt. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
05-29-2009, 12:11 AM
why do they call it a " minimum " sentence, then turn around and try to call the offence something else, just to avoid the " minimum " sentence ? the guy is undeniably guilty of what he was charged with, so i don't get the purpose of the whole plea bargaining thing..... its not like the prosecuters should have a problem getting a conviction ......whats the point of making laws, just to NOT enforce them.... :noidea:

steelwall
05-29-2009, 12:19 AM
why do they call it a " minimum " sentence, then turn around and try to call the offence something else, just to avoid the " minimum " sentence ? the guy is undeniably guilty of what he was charged with, so i don't get the purpose of the whole plea bargaining thing..... its not like the prosecuters should have a problem getting a conviction ......whats the point of making laws, just to NOT enforce them.... :noidea:

The judicial system has become so much about power and money than justice, thats the problem.

Galax Steeler
05-29-2009, 05:29 AM
I think I would go ahead and exept it. If he had to serve about 5 years that would be funny because he didn't acept the lesser one.

HometownGal
05-29-2009, 08:01 AM
He does not understand that he is not in any kind of position of leverage. He has no leverage. He — not his representatives — he thinks he has leverage.”

He thinks he's the second coming of Jerry Rice, too. The guy is a total douchebag and should be made to pay for his crime - I hope the Judge lowers the boom on him and he gets the max.

XxKnightxX
05-29-2009, 08:38 AM
What a dumbass, youre gonna do time, regardless, get the plunger out of your ass , or matter of fact keep it on, youll need it when your in the joint.

KeiselPower99
05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I hope they threw him in the slammer. Never was I a fan of him. Hated the pick and really think the media needs to get off his pole.

Godfather
05-29-2009, 09:49 AM
But if you knock the stupid out of him there would be nothing left.

Dino 6 Rings
05-29-2009, 12:11 PM
The New York Daily News has this interesting article, headlined "Plaxico Burress faces tough gun laws in Manhattan," providing data concerning the application of gun laws throughout New York City. Here are some excerpts:

Plaxico Burress picked a club in the wrong borough to dance around with an illegal gun. Prosecutors in Manhattan have the highest conviction rate among the city's five boroughs against people collared in second-degree gun possession cases. About 22% of Manhattan defendants get convicted on that charge, according to a News analysis of state Division of Criminal Justice data from 2003 to 2007. The conviction rate hovered around 10% in three other boroughs: 9% in Staten Island, 10% in the Bronx and 12% in Queens. Brooklyn had the lowest conviction rate at 7%.

Citywide, 11.4% of the 9,729 defendants charged with second-degree gun possession were actually convicted of that charge, which carries a mandatory 3-1/2 year sentence. "To take a gun into a crowded nightclub where people drink and push each other around because of the density of people there," Mayor Bloomberg said in a radio address Friday. "There's a reason for this law and it is to convince you to not do this and to make the price heavy to stop it."...

Despite Bloomberg's call for Burress to get the maximum, the team distraction should be encouraged by statistics showing most people charged with second-degree gun possession don't get convicted of that crime. In all five boroughs, most have the charges knocked down to less serious crimes or see them dismissed. If Burress pleads to the lesser charge of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon — the crime has no mandatory sentence — he could still do some time. Last year, 60% of the men and women convicted of third-degree possession served time, state officials said....

Staten Island District Attorney Dan Donovan said his office uses the mandatory minimum sentence as leverage to gain gun intelligence and to convince defendants to plea to a class D violent felony, which can carry a year in jail. "While we will convict less people of the arrest charge, we're gaining intelligence on the gun traffickers," he said.

http://sentencing.typepad.com/sentencing_law_and_policy/2008/12/interesting-data-on-the-application-of-tough-gun-law-for-plaxicos-consideration.html

Reading that, I don't believe that "Because he's a Star" really applies. In fact, it could almost be argued that he's getting worse treatment because he's high profile. If only near 12% are convicted of what Burress is accused of, that means there is a 78% chance that any normal Joe off the street isn't going to do time for just carrying a weapon while NOT in the commission of a crime.

steelreserve
05-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't see how the prosecution can back down after the Mayor went on his little tirade. The fact that the Giants let him go isn't going to help his cause in a NY courtroom either. If he doesn't get a least one year in the can I'll be very surprised.

Easy. They can back down by saying they don't have the resources to take every case to a jury trial, what with the recent budget cuts, etc., etc., so settling it with a plea deal is in everyone's best interest. As long as he spends some actual time in jail, the mayor can save face. I'm betting on 30 or 60 days plus wearing an ankle bracelet, and maybe not being allowed to drink alcohol, which he'll probably screw up on by about mid-season.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=35075page=2

Somehow, I'm less than shocked.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, you take that deal rather than go to a jury trial and face a minimum of 3.5 YEARS in Rikers.

He would have probably been put in a very minimal security prison (does New York have one of those?). Two months there, then probation for a month or until his community service is up, whichever comes first.