PDA

View Full Version : Why's Big Ben at a Cavs game?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-28-2009, 10:20 PM
pardon me, I guess we'll welcome him?, but I don't understand why he's supporting a team of a rival city?

Weird that Quinn was at the same game. (Him and Joe Thomas are there a lot.)

Does that mean Quinn can show up to a Pens game now? :noidea:

Preacher
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Let's see... Pittsburgh, no basketball team.

Cleveland. . . basketball team.

Closest team to Pittsburgh. . . Cleveland.

Makes sense to me. Especially when Ben grew up in Ohio.

Psyychoward86
05-28-2009, 10:24 PM
pardon me, I guess we'll welcome him?, but I don't understand why he's supporting a team of a rival city?

Well he IS an Ohio native :noidea:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-28-2009, 10:25 PM

I guess?

I'd root for the Pens, but I would feel really guilty about it , because It's against Cleveland ethic to pull for any team from Pittsburgh.

Actually the Pens make a bit envious, I really want to see Cleveland get a hockey team one day.

Nighthawk
05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Maybe he just wanted to watch some B-Ball in person, and two of the best players in the league right now.... What is up with some of these threads lately... does it really matter that much?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Maybe he just wanted to watch some B-Ball in person, and two of the best players in the league right now.... What is up with some of these threads lately... does it really matter that much?

I just found it funny.

I mean he is in the Biggest Rival city of the Steelers (Sorry, I don't consider the Rats your guys true rivals, they're punks).

tony hipchest
05-28-2009, 10:45 PM
are you kidding me? ben was a findlay HS standout in hoops. his sister is a collegiate baller for a final four team. he holds a charity basketball team for his hometown for the past 2-3 years.

no thanks. we got ben. you can keep the rest of your trash in ohio. :flap:

devilsdancefloor
05-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I just found it funny.

I mean he is in the Biggest Rival city of the Steelers (Sorry, I don't consider the Rats your guys true rivals, they're punks).

sorry until the browns are competitive they are not a rival. The purple browns are our rivals ATM:noidea:

But i do fear for bens in cleveland he might get staph :wink02:

BlastFurnace
05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm as big of a Reds fan as I am a Steelers fan. Both teams of rival cities. Sometimes, it just works out that way.

X-Terminator
05-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I guess?

I'd root for the Pens, but I would feel really guilty about it , because It's against Cleveland ethic to pull for any team from Pittsburgh.

Actually the Pens make a bit envious, I really want to see Cleveland get a hockey team one day.

Cleveland actually did have an NHL team - the Cleveland Barons back in 1976 after they moved from Oakland. They lasted 2 seasons before folding and merging with the Minnesota North Stars in 1978. The Pens also had their minor league team there for a while in the early 90s - the Cleveland Lumberjacks in the IHL after moving there from Muskegon in 1992.

You're welcome.

BTW, the Cavs are considered Pittsburgh's "local" NBA team.

tony hipchest
05-29-2009, 12:00 AM
BTW, the Cavs are considered Pittsburgh's "local" NBA team.as a rooter for all teams pittsburgh i always found it much more loyal to pull for the sixers.

of course having dr. j, barkley, and iverson, always made it that much easier.

MDSteel15
05-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Maybe he wanted to show LeBrat what a championship ring looks like! :rofl:

7willBheaven
05-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Just because the cities might be rivals in football doesnt mean all the players hate the city, players, teams, etc from there. I live in Ohio (near the oh, pa, wv borders), root for the Steelers first and foremost...the Pens (i've gotten more into it over the last handful of yrs)...and i root for the Cavs....not a big deal. Yeah Cleveland is a rival city...but i dont hate everything Cleveland. Its all good...let the guys enjoy their time off before they get back to work.

MasterOfPuppets
05-29-2009, 01:05 AM
i hope he took one of them decontamination showers before he returned to the burg to get that clevland funk of him.....:laughing: ....but i'm sure it was a thrill for the browntown clowns too see what champion looks like....

OneForTheToe
05-29-2009, 01:41 AM
He should be rooting for this team:http://www.soulstrut.com/images/reviews/crates/motown/Fish-That-Saved-Pittsburgh-.gif

:applaudit:

I'm surprised Santo wasn't with nim considering he seems to like Lebron.

As long as he doesn't sound the horn at the Red Wings game, I perfectly ok with it.

ohiosteelerfan20
05-29-2009, 03:37 AM

Rival city?:chuckle:

Stlrs4Life
05-29-2009, 06:38 AM

What Preacher said. Who really cares about this? Now, if he is wearing a Browns hat, we have an issue.

trauben
05-29-2009, 06:44 AM
(Sorry, I don't consider the Rats your guys true rivals, they're punks).
All you Clowns say that and what you have to realize is that it doesn't matter what YOU think, that's irrelevant to us Steeler fans. It's what WE think! You can consider us your #1 rival, but we'll always consider the original franchise our #1 rival. So, Baltimore it still is and will always be, unless they move somewhere else. Like it or not!

SteelCurtain
05-29-2009, 06:56 AM
I'm as big of a Reds fan as I am a Steelers fan. Both teams of rival cities. Sometimes, it just works out that way.

I too am a die hard Steelers and Reds fan. Just never really liked the Pirates as much as the Reds, but I do cheer for them when they aren't playing the Reds... I absolutely hate basketball. It makes me sick to watch it. They way they act like they are the toughest dudes on the planet for makin a lay-up and then cry like babies when they catch a slap on the wrist. They need to watch a hockey game to see what real men act like...

HometownGal
05-29-2009, 07:07 AM

As others have said - he's an Ohio boy so it isn't out of the ordinary for him to be supporting an Ohio basketball team, especially since Pittsburgh doesn't have a pro basketball team at this time. Just as Jeff Reed is a huge hockey fan (and now a Pens fan), Ben is a big basketball fan having played it during college and his sister being a very good basketball player in her own right.

I wouldn't care if Brady Queer showed up at a Pens game. Athletes are just like the rest of us - outside of their own sport, they can cheer on any team they choose.

RJC
05-29-2009, 07:13 AM

If Brady Quinn was from the 'Burgh and played at either Pitt, or Penn St, then yeah, I don't think he have a problem. At the end of the day Ben is a Ohio guy. Born there. Grew up there. Played there. Played College there. He's Ohio. He's allowed...

The_WARDen
05-29-2009, 07:19 AM
How long til training camp?

:blah::blah: :coffee:

SteelMember
05-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I guess?

If going beyond the borders of Ohio is a problem, I'm pretty sure Columbus has a NHL team for you. You'll just need to wait until next season to watch though. Sorry.

Let's Go Pens!

KeiselPower99
05-29-2009, 07:59 AM
I guess?

They have the Lake Erie Monsters. If you really wanna support a Ohio NHL team then go for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

lilyoder6
05-29-2009, 10:33 AM
a-rod and rivera were there as well..

so maybe.. they just wanted to spend some money and get court side seats

Edman
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I hate the Browns, but I don't hate Cleveland. That petty crap is for bitter Browns fans.

Then again, it wasn't long ago that the Cavaliers used Steelers logos and picture mugshots to rile up the fans.

revefsreleets
05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Ben was also actively cheering for the Cavs, and was caught whooping it up for LBJ on camera couple times.

I'm sure he's probably a lifelong Cavs fan, so no biggie.

My question is, did perhaps having a two-time Super Bowl winning QB in close proximity remove the awful stench of failure from all Cleveland franchises?

Perhaps...but when I made this innocent suggestion to all the resident Browns fans at work, they greeted my hypothesis none too kindly:tt03::tt:

BlastFurnace
05-29-2009, 11:53 AM
I too am a die hard Steelers and Reds fan. Just never really liked the Pirates as much as the Reds, but I do cheer for them when they aren't playing the Reds... I absolutely hate basketball. It makes me sick to watch it. They way they act like they are the toughest dudes on the planet for makin a lay-up and then cry like babies when they catch a slap on the wrist. They need to watch a hockey game to see what real men act like...

I can't stand basketball for the exact same reasons you stated.

I used to love the NBA, but I just don't think the league is on the level. The game is controlled more by the refs than any other professional league

Nighthawk
05-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Maybe he wanted to show LeBrat what a championship ring looks like! :rofl:

I'm sure LBJ will get one but in the mean time :toofunny::toofunny:

ReedsGirl3
05-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I guess I'm one of the few that also disagree with our Big Ben rooting for the CLEVELAND Cavs... I think once you have PITTSBURGH in your blood, you can't even look at Cleveland the same way.

And I also have to agree with the Browns fan here... that your Browns are the Steelers Biggest Rival... and a lot of that might be because we both live in Ohio... I don't think that rivalry will ever be broken between the fans...

Just my 2 sense...

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2009, 09:56 AM
I live in Cleveland and I love the Cavs and Indians.

I also love the Steelers, Pens, and Pirates.

Pittsburgh doesn't have a NBA team, and the Cavs are actually considered the "local" NBA team for Pittsburgh.

I personally have no problem with it. He's a Pittsburgh Steeler, but he's not from the Pittsburgh area. He doesn't have to hate everything about Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Baltimore....just their football teams.

LVSteelersfan
05-30-2009, 10:03 AM
I have been a lifelong Lakers fan since the Jerry West days about 1968. Growing up in Montana I had to search for teams. I became a Pirates fan during the Roberto Clemente years which led me to become a Steelers fan in about 1970 when I started watching football. Right now a good buddy of mine who grew up in Pittsburgh has led me to start watching hockey and I am now also a Penguins fan. I doubt if the Burgh had a basketball team I would ever root for them over my beloved Lakers (the ONLY TEAM) but the rest of my allegiance to professional sports goes out to Pittsburgh teams.

KYsteelfan
05-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I dont really see what the big deal is with him being at the game. I mean, im not a fan of Cleveland cavs or Orlando, but being a sports fan, and its the thing to watch. i know im gonna be flipping back and forth between that and the pens game tonight. but its all anyone is talking about right now anyway. and its even better if you can see the game in person. everyone knows that. Ben, im sure, is just like most of us, we just love sports in general and wanna see it, especially when its as high caliber as these teams are. i wouldnt look too much into it

stillers4me
05-30-2009, 02:25 PM
HUH? I don't see the big deal. He can root for whoever he wants, even if Pittsburgh had a team.

Hapa
05-30-2009, 03:50 PM
I just found it funny.

Everyone wants the honor of being our rival :sofunny:

triphahn
05-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Everyone wants the honor of being our rival :sofunny:

Clevaland is not even close to being a rival. We have owned them since they came back to Ohio.

LVSteelersfan
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
I hate to tell Clowns fans but hiring Mangini was not a way to revive the rivalry. Cowher wouldn't touch their team with a ten foot pole. They should have at least talked to Shanahan or Gruden who can both coach circles around Mangini. When will the world realize that Belicheat disciples are not good coaching candidates. Of course I agree that the purple Clowns in Baltimore are much more of a rivalry.

xfl2001fan
05-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I hate to tell Clowns fans but hiring Mangini was not a way to revive the rivalry. Cowher wouldn't touch their team with a ten foot pole. They should have at least talked to Shanahan or Gruden who can both coach circles around Mangini. When will the world realize that Belicheat disciples are not good coaching candidates. Of course I agree that the purple Clowns in Baltimore are much more of a rivalry.

Mangini has one playoff appearance in three seasons...and was a busted Favre arm away from a second one. He's not Cowher...but that doesn't make him a terrible coach. People seem to forget that before he worked for Belicheat...he worked for Parcells. He's also the guy to oust Belicheat.

Back on topic:

Big Ben is an Ohio Boy...he can love whatever team he wants in any other sport outside of football. Now if he was seen wearing a Browns hat during the Steelers bye week, then questions would need to be asked.

fansince'76
05-30-2009, 08:51 PM
The Cavs need a Big Ben type of comeback right now.

ShutDown24
05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
The Cleveland/Pittsburgh rivalry begins and ends with the Steelers and Browns... And to be honest, it really isn't even much of a rivalry anymore. Regardless of how people in your city feel, we don't really pay that much attention to Cleveland. It's kind of like Pittsburgh dumped Cleveland and Cleveland is the jealous prior lover.... The party which was dumped pays a lot of attention to the person that dumped it, but not the other way around. That's pretty much how it is :noidea:

Steel-Bryan
05-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Wooohoooo MAGIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/16/fullj.3159abc08c63b44fa2f1acb02d767b33/3159abc08c63b44fa2f1acb02d767b33-getty-bkn-all_star-slam_dunk-howard.jpg