PDA

View Full Version : Mangini not getting the love

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
05-30-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/05/sources_browns_rookies_and_age.html

Sources: Browns rookies and agents upset about 10-hour bus trip to work at Mangini camp
by By Mary Kay Cabot
Friday May 29, 2009, 11:14 AM

Thomas Ondrey | The Plain DealerBrowns rookies and their agents are upset at head coach Eric Mangini, according to multiple league sources.

Updated 11:39 p.m.

Multiple league sources said Friday the Browns rookies and their agents ranged from baffled to upset that Browns coach Eric Mangini took the rookies on a 10-hour bus trip to Hartford, Conn., Friday to work his football camp today and then will bus them back home tonight.

"It's a sophisticated form of hazing," said one league source. "I've never heard of anything like it."

Mangini's eighth annual football camp, for under-resourced children in grades 8-12, is voluntary for the rookies -- but all felt compelled to attend, a source said. It runs from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. today.

"It's voluntary, but it's not really voluntary," said one source. "These players are fighting for starting jobs and playing time. What are they supposed to do, say 'No, I'm not going?' "

Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis issued the following response in an e-mail:

"This was not mandatory. Eric had reservations about doing it at first, and then people told him they thought it would be a good opportunity for them to be exposed to this type of event, and having the chance to work with the kids.

"Since the rookies have been back, we have a lot of programs that are set up for them which are designed to improve them professionally, build team unity and also help serve the community. In fact, since they have been back in mid-May, they have visited a Veterans hospital and are scheduled to visit a school next week.

"Also, if anyone is 'dismayed,' nobody has expressed that to anyone in the organization."

One source said the rookies aren't opposed to charity work, "but put them on the plane. The camp comes right in the middle of voluntary minicamp and next week's organized team activities. They're expected to show up Monday and perform at a very high level after being on a bus for more than 20 hours over the weekend."

Another source said the trip most likely violates the rules of what's reasonable.

Profootballtalk.com reported late Friday night that according to a league source, both the NFL and the NFL Players Association are looking into the trip to determine if it violated the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

But an NFL Players Association source said the Browns are not breaking any rules as long as the trip was voluntary and that the players wouldn't suffer any consequences from not going.

"Even the Browns veterans are baffled by it," said one source.

A release from the Browns this week said the "entire Browns 2009 rookie class and the Browns coaching staff, as well as representatives of four other NFL teams, will be present to help work with the kids."

The camp, which serves 800 children, takes place at Mangini's alma mater, Bulkeley High School, in Hartford. Proceeds benefit the Carmine and Frank Mangini Foundation, named after Mangini's late father and uncle.

"It's really a great day," Mangini said at voluntary camp Thursday. "It gives kids a chance to get involved in football and get some coaching that they may not be able to otherwise get. I think it's as fulfilling for us as it is for any of the kids who take part. I can't thank all of the people who have helped me and helped us at the foundation put it together enough."

Mangini said he hopes to start a similar camp in Cleveland and that he and his wife, Julie, are looking forward to getting involved here. "I am excited about being able to do some things to give back," he said.

revefsreleets
05-30-2009, 05:05 AM
How to win in the NFL:

A) Watch what the Browns do
B) Do the opposite

Galax Steeler
05-30-2009, 06:30 AM
How to win in the NFL:

B) Do the opposite

exactly :toofunny:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2009, 08:14 AM
How to win in the NFL:

B) Do the opposite

Hahahahaha I love it! :tt03:

As for what Mangini did, just wow. I doubt it was truly voluntary, and I don't see it fair to stick the rookies on a bus for 20+ hours in a weekend and expect them to be there Monday full of energy.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
For some reason the local and national media has been hating on Mangini every chance they can get. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing at this point, because this is the same group of folks who wanted Belichick outta town.

Here's what Don Carey, our new CB and Ex-Steeler fan ;) said on his twitter.

@tenwatt lol the media can mislead info. sure it would have been better to fly, but no 1 was complaining on the bus we joked the whole time

PFT also stated something about how Kokinis was frightened of Mangini, and yet, there's an article in a connecticut paper stating pretty much the opposite.

http://www.courant.com/sports/football/hc-mangini0531.art0may31,0,5920329.story

They were in their 20s, a couple of eager guys at the bottom of the Cleveland Browns coaching ladder. Eric Mangini, from Hartford, and George Kokinis, from Wethersfield, grew up miles apart but never crossed paths until they were simultaneously scuttling around the Browns locker room, doing anything asked of them.

"He'd be picking up towels off the locker room floor and I'd be driving guys to the airport or something," Kokinis said. "We would sleep in the office. We still sleep in the office. We're just making a little more money now."

"It's pretty neat to have a common bond with somebody," Kokinis said.

Said Mangini: "George was one of the original guys and I knew early what a special person he was."

The last part, I won't lie make them sound like a couple, which is creepy to say the least.

MasterOfPuppets
05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Kokinis was frightened of Mangini,

The last part, I won't lie make them sound like a couple, which is creepy to say the least. so you think manvagina was "forcing" himself on him ? :chuckle: ....i gotta get this to PFT....:laughing:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2009, 09:27 PM
so you think manvagina was "forcing" himself on him ? :chuckle: ....i gotta get this to PFT....:laughing:

Pretty much.

:flap:

I think that Mangini picked him out after he got the job, so he could pretty much not argue with him and do what he wants, after our pathetic owner pretty much handed him the keys.

Not sure how that'll turn out.

MasterOfPuppets
06-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Pretty much.

:flap:

I think that Mangini picked him out after he got the job, so he could pretty much not argue with him and do what he wants, after our pathetic owner pretty much handed him the keys.

Not sure how that'll turn out. you mean like tellin him to pick up the soap ? :toofunny:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2619/itsatrap.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/my.php?image=itsatrap.jpg)

:rofl:

revefsreleets
06-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Belichick was run out of Cleveland because he was 36-44, hardly Bill Parcells type numbers.

Then he went to NE and (alledgedly...cough cough) started taping, stealing playbooks, etc...and his record in NE is 105-40.

Hmmmmm...he was .450 BEFORE he alledgedly started cheating, and .724 after.

beSteelmyheart
06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
What I would like to know is "Why would a bunch of kids in Connecticut care about a bus full of Cleveland Brown rookie no names?" And secondly, "Why did Mangini spend good team money to ship these guys off to another state to act as role models?"
What about the kids in the Cleveland area?
Wouldn't you think that the kids in the Conn. area would be more interested in the Patriots rookies?
Where is Flounder's heart, anyway, because it doesn't seem to be in Cleveland.

revefsreleets
06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Good points all.

AllD
06-02-2009, 06:22 PM
What I would like to know is "Why would a bunch of kids in Connecticut care about a bus full of Cleveland Brown rookie no names?" And secondly, "Why did Mangini spend good team money to ship these guys off to another state to act as role models?"
Wouldn't you think that the kids in the Conn. area would be more interested in the Patriots rookies?

It was the "Mangina Show".

Dino 6 Rings
06-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Isn't it nice to not have these types of things with our team.

KeiselPower99
06-03-2009, 12:29 PM

I got 20 on him wanting the Pats job when cheater steps down. Mangini needs to make himspef the man in Cleveland not in Conn.

Big D
06-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I got 20 on him wanting the Pats job when cheater steps down. Mangini needs to make himspef the man in Cleveland not in Conn.

I think when the cheater steps down he will still have some sort of front office say.

xfl2001fan
06-03-2009, 01:07 PM

This is his 8th straight year of doing this camp. This camp is directly related to the Carmine and Frank Mangini Foundation to benefit under-resourced children. It wasn't just Browns players/coaches either. Rexy Ryan brought Jets coaches/players...plus there were other college/HS students in attendance to make this happen.

While I'd like for him to do something like this in Cleveland, the fact remains that he's taking care of his hometown and the area he grew up in first. So his heart is in his hometown.

Would the kids be more interested in NE players? Sure. But would you care which players came to your neighborhood when you were a kid...or would you be happy being around nearly any NFL player? Don't bother answering, we all know the truth fo the matter.

But that's good. Keep nitpicking with the BS. Apparently, the Browns are more important to you than you are willing to admit. You care about the rivalry more than you want to admit. This just proves it.

beSteelmyheart
06-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks, xfl, I didn't know this.
And any rivalry concerns will be addressed this upcoming season, not by me, but by Tomlin & Co. It will be interesting. I hope.:popcorn:
Just wondering if Tomlin sent any rookies on a bus to Connecticut.....

Edit:
And when I was a kid, yes I would have cared alot. I would have run over Roger Staubach to get at Rocky Blier.