PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall seems ready for bigger role in Steelers' RB corps

mesaSteeler
05-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Mendenhall seems ready for bigger role in Steelers' RB corps
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2009/wwhi052809.htm

By Mike Wilkening
May 28, 2009

RB Rashard Mendenhall has caught the eye of observers at the Steelers’ OTAs, the way we hear it, looking stronger than he did as a rookie. Mendenhall, who does not turn 22 until June 19, missed most of last season with a broken left shoulder blade, but he is poised to have a regular role in the offense this season. At 5-10 and 225 pounds, Mendenhall may be the Steelers’ back best-suited to handle the short-yardage and goal-line carries, especially with bruising fifth-round pick Frank Summers perhaps still a ways from contributing regularly.

However, a source close to the club cautions it is too early to get a clear read on how those carries will be parceled out. Nevertheless, a healthy Mendenhall will significantly strengthen the Steelers’ RB depth and could go a long way in keeping Willie Parker — who has averaged 20.7 carries a game the last three seasons — fresh throughout the season.

LVSteelersfan
05-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Please, oh PLEASE, don't run FWP until the wheels fall off again this year. The wheels have been falling off too easy on him the past couple years. Mendenhall needs to show that he is ready to supplant FWP as our future RB. Slamming Willie into the line up the middle on first and second down is a lesson in futility and stupid. I wish the coaches would get it into their stupid heads that Willie runs better to the outside and Mendenhall will be the inside guy. Willie has no moves. Mendenhall showed he can cut very well in the little time we got to see him last year.

The Definiti0n
05-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Finally a Mendy update. :wink02:

He needs a nickname.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't wait to watch Mendenhall take a carry up the middle and break it for a looooooooooooong TD. The guy runs with tons of power and has that extra gear to take it all the way.

Him and Parker should make one helluva combo this year as long as both stay healthy, plus we have Moore who is also a good rusher with very good hands out of the backfield.

Something tells me this year will be a bit more of old school Steelers football. I don't wanna see Big Ben get drilled 47 times again, and a strong run game will help.

brick
05-30-2009, 11:08 AM
a fresh and ready mendy would be huge for us, or just any run game in general so we have SOME options on 3rd/4th and short. memo stepped in well last season but we need a fit willie and a solid 3rd down back to really have the gears in our offense working smoothly.

Psyychoward86
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Willie has no moves. Mendenhall showed he can cut very well in the little time we got to see him last year.

Willie has nothing but moves. That's why he cant run up the middle :wink:. He's using the wrong concept at the wrong time.

mmalone
05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
hate to mention it again. but i think BA has been ruining our RB's for two years. literally breaking them. i cant stand watching the parker up the middle on 1st and 2nd. i swear a few times last year it looked like willie was scared to hit the middle. with no blocking back helping out. its like suicide.

MaidenIndiana
05-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I hope Mendenhall is healthy and can contribute this year. But I'm going to take a wait and see attitude on it. People forget that he was an average running back at Illinois until his last season when he seemed to come from out of nowhere. The Steelers don't need an average running back.

scsteeler
05-30-2009, 12:31 PM
A healthy Strong Mendenhall will mean a very good RB tandem for the Steelers while there are those that seem to think parker has outlived his football life and needs to be replaced it has been shown that you really need 2 good backs one with the ability to take it to the house at any moment ALA Fast Willie and one back that can be a bruiser ALA Mendenhall if he shows that he can be that guy this year.

RJC
05-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Finally a Mendy update. :wink02:

He needs a nickname.

I like "Menden-Haul".....

The Definiti0n
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I like "Menden-Haul".....

How about "Menden-Hulk"

Galax Steeler
05-31-2009, 08:26 AM
This is good news on Mendenhall. I hope he comes out this year and shows us why we drafted him no.1 last year. He will be the guy we need to run between the tackles and with his size and speed he could take it to the house.

The Duke
05-31-2009, 01:19 PM
hate to mention it again. but i think BA has been ruining our RB's for two years. literally breaking them. i cant stand watching the parker up the middle on 1st and 2nd. i swear a few times last year it looked like willie was scared to hit the middle. with no blocking back helping out. its like suicide.

Damn that Arians!! next thing we'll hear is e wants to kill his players :rolleyes:

looking stronger than he did as a rookie.

well....he better. I like what I'm hearing from him, but honestly I don't think we'll see as much from him as we're thinking. Keep willie fresh, give rashard some carries (5 a game?)

now next year....

Galax Steeler
06-02-2009, 05:01 AM
Damn that Arians!! next thing we'll hear is e wants to kill his players

:toofunny: