PDA

View Full Version : Gay wants to earn towel, starting job

mesaSteeler
05-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Gay wants to earn towel, starting job
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/viewfromthepressbox/
Posted May 27, 2009 4 :46 PM

A black, rectangular hand towel has been a part of William Gay's ensemble during Steelers offseason workouts. It says "Big play #22," and it was given to the third-year cornerback by veteran safety Ryan Clark -- with the understanding that it can be repossessed at any time.

"I'll wear it just as a reminder that I have to go out there and make plays," Gay said, "because if I don't they're going to take the towel away from me."

Gay has the inside track to the starting job that opened up when Bryant McFadden signed with the Arizona Cardinals in March. What the Steelers have to like about Gay, who showed plenty of promise in 2008 while starting when McFadden was injured, is the approach he is taking to the upcoming season.

The reason: it really isn't any different than the one he took as a rookie when he was simply trying to make the Steelers as a late-round draft pick out of Louisville.

"I'm taking the approach of going out and working hard like I'm a nobody," said Gay, a fifth-round pick in 2007, "and just go out there and take it because I don't want (the starting job) given to me."

McFadden told Gay after he signed with the Cardinals, "There's your opportunity. Take full advantage of it."

Gay plans to do just that, and he will train with starting cornerback Ike Taylor among others in Orlando after the Steelers put a wrap on offseason practices in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, he'd rather not answer to "Big Play Willie Gay," one of several nicknames with which he has been tagged. The moniker was given to Gay by Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Brandon Johnson while the two were teammates at Louisville.

And Gay's point is that he got the name for what he did in college, not the NFL.

"I don't like to be called that just to be called that," Gay said. "They can call me that after I make a big play."

steelwall
05-31-2009, 01:25 AM
sorry....kinda funny title....Gay wants towel boy job.....

GBMelBlount
05-31-2009, 06:22 AM
"I'm taking the approach of going out and working hard like I'm a nobody," said Gay, a fifth-round pick in 2007.

Approaching this as a nobody shouldn't be difficult for him......:chuckle:

Hopefully after this year it will be.....

I'm hoping for big things from towel boy this year! :thumbsup:

AllD
05-31-2009, 07:44 AM
A few picks by Gay, a couple of KOs by Clark, and some TDs by Mendenhall should round things out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2009, 08:28 AM
I liked the selection of Gay and the comparison of him to a young DeShea Townsend 3 drafts ago. I just thought it was gonna take him longer to develop into a starter.

Hopefully Gay can earn the starting spot, but either way we still have some vets like Townsend and Ratliff on the roster if he cant.

Galax Steeler
05-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Hopefully Gay can earn the starting spot, but either way we still have some vets like Townsend and Ratliff on the roster if he cant.

I forgot we signed Ratliff I was sitting hear trying to think of the depth we had at corner. It should be a interesting battle in trainning camp.

Psyychoward86
05-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Im all for him. The '06 draft class has really shined imo.

DACEB
05-31-2009, 10:26 AM
I think it's possible Clark and Gay have established a chemistry early on that made it an easier decision for the release of B-mac.

I don't think it's a question that Gay's #2, he's got the time in the system. I think it's a great veteran move by Clark to motivate the youngster.

The Duke
05-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Gotta love the humble attitude. Hmm....I'd like one of those towels. and a jersey too, lol

and I gotta get a "Big play willie gay" sig

glad to see he'll work out in orlando with ike and potsie :thumbsup:

The Definiti0n
05-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Im all for him. The '06 draft class has really shined imo.

'07 you mean. Timmons, Woodley, Sepulveda, and Gay drafted in 07.

06' wasn't that good besides Holmes.

Willie Reid, Orein Harris, Anthony Smith, Omar Jacobs were all dissapointing. But Santiono's catch and Superbowl MVP makes up for all of that.:tt::tt::tt:

triphahn
05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
He's a professional football player. If he's not starting thats what he should be shooting for.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
I forgot we signed Ratliff I was sitting hear trying to think of the depth we had at corner. It should be a interesting battle in trainning camp.

I actually am loving the depth we have at corner. Vets like Taylor, Townsend, Ratilff, Bryant with young guys like Gay, Keenan Lewis, Burnett, Madison, Roy Lewis all trying to make the roster.