View Full Version : It's official; the Browns/Steelers games are a joke

mesaSteeler
05-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Joke is on Browns, Bills, Raiders
Comment Email Print Share
Wickersham By Seth Wickersham
ESPN The Magazine
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=4211874

Ike TaylorMichael Fabus/Getty ImagesIn dominating Cleveland, the Steelers typically put plenty of heat on Browns quarterbacks.

These Pittsburgh-Cleveland, New England-Buffalo and San Diego-Oakland divisional games are becoming jokes. In each case, the former has beaten the latter 11 straight times, dating to 2003, tying each other for the longest current win streak one team has over another. It's a parody of parity: The Cardinals won the NFC despite not being able to run or play defense; meanwhile, Barack Obama was three years from becoming a U.S. senator the last time the Browns, Bills and Raiders beat those particular division foes.

The winners are already in the losers' heads, of course. The Raiders, Bills and Browns don't know if they can beat these teams because they haven't; not for a while, at least. So how exactly did this ownership of one team happen? And what are the chances of the streak ending this year?

Browns and Steelers

Why the Steelers always win: Pittsburgh has a defense that's harder to read than an Augusta green. Browns quarterbacks -- Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Garcia, Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson and Bruce Gradkowski -- have completed only 51 percent of their passes during the losing streak and have been sacked once every 11.4 drop-backs. Meanwhile, Ben Roethlisberger and other Steelers QBs have hit 60.2 percent, getting sacked almost half as often, once per 19.6 passing plays.

The Steelers "blitz almost every down and get to the quarterback," said a former Brown. "Zone blitzes from everywhere, every down so they confuse you. The Browns run basic coverages and barely go get the quarterback. Not really any pressure at all. So the quarterback can sit back there all day and make his reads."

Chances of the streak ending in 2009: Not good. The Browns' schemes will be better under Eric Mangini, but not enough to faze or frighten the defending champs.

Raiders and Chargers

Why the Chargers always win: San Diego's blitz packages take advantage of Oakland's constantly reshuffled pass protection. Oakland has used 11 different starting offensive line combinations in the 11 losses. Couple that with an offensive playbook that forces quarterbacks to drop deep and hold the ball behind a line that can't protect them in the first place, and you see why Chargers players say privately that the Raiders are a "pad your stats" game. San Diego's substitution packages -- pulling two defensive linemen for linebackers, adding speed -- have accounted for 46 sacks during the winning streak. "The Raiders quarterbacks drop deep, hold the ball, and that always slows them down," said former Chargers DE Igor Olshansky, now a Cowboy. "That's why we had success against them."

Chances of the streak ending in 2009: Better than it appears. The Chargers open against the Raiders, and the past two years have taught us that San Diego is capable of anything during the regular season.

Bills and Patriots

Why the Patriots always win: Nobody adjusts like New England, and the Patriots have beaten the Bills 11 times by a combined score of 321-96 with a variety of schemes and players. In 2007, Tom Brady topped 300 yards in both games. Before last season's finale, the Pats designed a bevy of route combinations to expose backup CB Leodis McKelvin, subbing for injured Jabari Greer. But 30 mph winds and 65 mph gusts changed that plan, and the Pats won with 168 yards rushing, with quarterback Matt Cassel attempting only eight passes. "I played the Bills seven times," said former Patriots fullback Heath Evans, now a Saint, "and every single game plan was drastically different."

Chances of the streak ending in 2009: In theory, the Bills should have the offensive talent to surprise the Patriots, like the Dolphins did last year. But with Brady back, Buffalo might have to surprise the Patriots to the tune of 35-plus points, which would be a little too surprising.

Seth Wickersham is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine and a columnist for ESPN.com.

triphahn
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Its been official for a while. Remember the browns first game back in Ohio after they left for baltimore. They were so excited. With out looking it up I think the final was Pittsburgh 42 browns 0. Classic.

MasterOfPuppets
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
a joke ? but its rivalry :noidea: just ask a browns fan ...... but really though, sooner or later the browns will win a game.... :popcorn:

HometownGal
05-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Geez - all our D has to do is yell "BOO" to the Browns during pre-game warmups and we're guaranteed a W. :tt:

The Browns will win a game against us eventually, but probably long after I'm taking a dirt nap. :chuckle:

meanwhile, Barack Obama was three years from becoming a U.S. senator the last time the Browns, Bills and Raiders beat those particular division foes.

Oh how I wish we could turn back the hands of time. :shake01:

MACH1
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
One thing for sure, the Steelers will never go 0-16 as long as the browns are around.

Edman
05-31-2009, 06:30 PM
The Steelers will drop one to the Browns someday, that's why I'm enjoying this streak against them. All it takes is one loss and Cleveland will come out of the woodwork.

To this date, Ben still HAS NOT lost to the Browns.

LVSteelersfan
05-31-2009, 07:35 PM
The Clowns will pull one off somehow one of these days. Probably when the Steelers take them too lightly and Ben has one of his brain fart days with 3 or 4 INTs. It is bound to happen sooner or later. I don't see it happening with Mangini at he controls though.

rich4eagle
05-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Its been official for a while. Remember the browns first game back in Ohio after they left for baltimore. They were so excited. With out looking it up I think the final was Pittsburgh 42 browns 0. Classic.

Actually, it was 43-0 nothing and when teams and fans start blowing smoke about their greatness and others inability................

turnabout is around the corner

This thread is NOT good for Steeler football:tt03:

AllD
05-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Actually, it was 43-0 nothing and when teams and fans start blowing smoke about their greatness and others inability................

I agree with the above mentioned superstitions. Didn't one of the Browns' players stomp on a terrible towel last week and predict winning the division?

KYsteelfan
05-31-2009, 08:59 PM
the browns will get a game in there eventually.... lol i didnt think i could get that out without laughing. they have turned into a pitiful excuse of a franchise since they have come back. however, i do think that the steelers and the purple browns down in baltimore has continued the rivalry

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
05-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Eh, one day it'll turn around.

I can say with confidence that at least we're not the worst run franchise in all of the league.

I think ranked in order it's this

1. Lions
2. Raiders
3. Bengals
4. The Brownies

And maybe, maybe the Cards depending on how they handle their franchise. I think they may have a shot at being the Steelers of the NFC West (cheap owner and a franchise that really didn't see a lot of success for a long time), it just depends on how Bidwell handles things.

I think the Browns are a .500 team, they just have horrible luck in terms of injuries and just how close games go sometime.

I'm really liking what Mangini is doing, he's trying to build us up depth wise, but we're a couple years away from being able to compete with the Steelers and Ravens.

I think we'll look better as a team and might be able to put a scare into the Steelers and Ravens like we've been able to do the past couple of years (theres always one close game, and one blowout the past 3-4 years.).

I think we go 6-10, finish in third ahead of the Bungals, and draft a RT in 2010.

Stu Pidasso
05-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Hell, the Browns can't even beat one staph infection...

Galax Steeler
06-01-2009, 05:19 AM

Not in this life time.:toofunny:

WeegiesWarriors
06-01-2009, 07:43 AM

I remember it to be 43-40. 43 points for the Steelers; 40 TOTAL YARDS for the browns. We actually scored more points than they had yards. The most complete domination of a game that I've ever seen in the NFL.

And no it wiill never turn around; as in a 180 turn. There will be a day the teams split and even cleveland might even sweep once or twice in a row; but the the browns will never go on a streak like this. I believe too much in the Steeler management to think that will ever happen. The brown's time ended in 1970.

Dino 6 Rings
06-01-2009, 12:02 PM

Same season, second matchup, Browns beat us with a last second field goal. Rooney said after the game, "that's why its called a Rivalry"

LVSteelersfan
06-01-2009, 01:08 PM

And maybe, maybe the Cards depending on how they handle their franchise. I think they may have a shot at being the Steelers of the NFC West (cheap owner and a franchise that really didn't see a lot of success for a long time), it just depends on how Bidwell handles things.

I think the Browns are a .500 team, they just have horrible luck in terms of injuries and just how close games go sometime.

The difference between the Steelers and Browns is that when the Steelers have those horrible injuries, there is someone right behind them to pick up where they left off without much of a dropoff. I don't agree on the Cards. They have an excellent corps of players and a great coaching staff (how could they be otherwise being ex-Steeler coaches) Bidwell did a great job once he finally got rid of Dennis Green as coach. That is why they made it to the Super Bowl last year. The Clowns are not even in the same conversation as Pittsburgh West at the moment.

steelax04
06-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately, when the day does come that the Browns pull one out it'll be the "Browns are the new king of the AFC North" banter until the next time the teams meet.

St33lersguy
06-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Same season, second matchup, Browns beat us with a last second field goal. Rooney said after the game, "that's why its called a Rivalry"

It can't be considered a rivalry anymore. The Steelers have been the most successful franchise in the past 5 years while the browns have forgotten the definition of the word win.

triphahn
06-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Ebbs and tides are part of life. Talking about or not talking about it ain't going to change that. I enjoyed the hell out of that game. And sure eventually the browns will field a good team and kick our ass and they will talk about how great they are and how crappy we are. But until then we are all just Steelers fans talking about our recent domination of the browns. In the words of Conan when asked "What is good in life?' "To crush your enemy, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women":drink:

HughC
06-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm old enough to remember a time when the Browns were good and the Steelers were not, but that was a very long time ago. (Yes folks, that rumor about professional football being played prior to the '70's really is true.) The Browns had Jim Brown - who, as blaspemous as this may seem like to some - I still consider the greatest player in the history of the NFL. I remember the Steelers had a QB by the name of Bill Nelsen and the one year he started he won two games. A couple years later he was traded to the Browns and right away he made it to the Pro Bowl and playoffs. It was amazing how a player could be so bad on one team and good on another due to the talent of the other players on thise teams. If I'm not mistaken the Browns made it to the NFL championship, one game away fom the Super Bowl two or three years in a row.

So can the Browns turn it around? Of course, anything is possible. However, I don't think they have enough quality people in their front office at this point in time to make it happen any time soon. I just don't believe the changes they made this past offseason will have much of an effect, either short-term or long-term.