PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy showing up, off at OTAs

Galax Steeler
06-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Players, coaches, even veteran personnel men have been impressed with No. 1 pick Ziggy Hood's showing this spring with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Charlie Casserly’s last No. 1 draft pick as an NFL general manager was defensive end Mario Williams, a surprise choice over everyone else’s favorite No. 1, Reggie Bush.

Casserly was fired after the season, but his pick of Williams has proven to be the right one. Now a draft expert for NFL Network, Casserly attended Steelers practice on Thursday. Did he like anyone in particular?

“I like Ziggy Hood,” said the 28-year NFL personnel veteran. “I like his quickness, his movements, his body type – stuff you can see better here in person than on tape.”

Everyone seems to like the Steelers’ first-round draft pick, and with good reason. On this day, the 300-pound Hood showed off his athleticism by running from sideline to sideline in pursuit of plays. When the defensive end got there in time, Coach Mike Tomlin let everyone know it with a “That’s it Ziggy!”

“He’s looking good,” said Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton. “From what I’ve seen he does a special job using his hands. Most guys who come in from college are used to being quicker than everybody, and used to running through gaps or ripping through guys. I don’t know if it’s been (line coach John Mitchell) Mitch getting on him, or if he’s been coached like that, but he can use his hands and keep guys off of him.”

Hood was drafted to bolster a defensive line that’s first five players will average 32.8 years of age this season. It’s a veteran unit that’s still playing at a high level, and one that’s probably grown tired of hearing about its age. So Hood figured he’d get the cold shoulder from the group this spring.

“I expected them to say, ‘OK, rookie’s coming in to get my job and I can’t talk to him, can’t give him tricks of the trade,’” said Hood. “But right now, they’re showing me – not everything because there’s probably a lot more to learn – but right now they’re showing me everything I need to help my game at this point.”

The development of proper hand usage is already a good sign. Hood said the biggest challenge right now is his playbook.

“The more confidence I have in my plays, the better my performance will be,” he said, adding: “It’s a lot more physical up front as opposed to going against a spread offense. These offensive linemen move like running backs on the line of scrimmage, so I’m trying to develop more speed off the ball.”

Any offensive lineman in particular?

“Is the right tackle number 74?” Hood asked about Willie Colon. “He was an eye opener for me, something I had to go in the film room and watch. It was rough out there. The first practice was going fine until he came along, and that really opened me up because he came right at me like a raging bull. There was nothing I could do about it.”

He’ll learn. Hood was a 4-3 defensive tackle for Missouri in the wide-open Big 12 Conference, and will initially step into the same role with the Steelers on passing downs. The rookie said that he doesn’t want to be rushed, and Casserly said the Steelers’ organizational patience will benefit Hood greatly. However, Hampton doesn’t see Hood wearing a redshirt all season.

“He’s a first-round pick, so I don’t think he has too much of a choice,” Hampton said. “The starters are there but I think he should be able to help.”

So, Hampton’s optimistic, but with caution.

“You know, everybody looks good without the pads on,” he said. “If we put the pads on and he still looks good, I think he’s definitely going to help us.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/868717.html

DACEB
06-01-2009, 07:02 AM
“He’s looking good,” said Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton. “From what I’ve seen he does a special job using his hands. Most guys who come in from college are used to being quicker than everybody, and used to running through gaps or ripping through guys. I don’t know if it’s been (line coach John Mitchell) Mitch getting on him, or if he’s been coached like that, but he can use his hands and keep guys off of him.”

That's what they saw in him to draft him. That's what set him apart from just being a 4-3 DT.

That's why I liked him in the 1st!! IMO, he used his hands better than any DT taken before him. He will suit up and be a presence on the interior on passing downs.

mulldog24
06-01-2009, 08:53 AM
That's what they saw in him to draft him. That's what set him apart from just being a 4-3 DT.

That's why I liked him in the 1st!! IMO, he used his hands better than any DT taken before him. He will suit up and be a presence on the interior on passing downs.

I totally agree! In colledge they moved him around alot to keep teams from focusing on him too much witch shows his versatility. With the vetrans helping "Ziggy" out given a little time and reps, "Ziggy" will be a great player for us imo!:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Any offensive lineman in particular?

“Is the right tackle number 74?” Hood asked about Willie Colon. “He was an eye opener for me, something I had to go in the film room and watch. It was rough out there. The first practice was going fine until he came along, and that really opened me up because he came right at me like a raging bull. There was nothing I could do about it.”

This was pretty interesting. Most of the fan base thinks Colon sucks and should be replaced because he goes offsides 8 times a season, but its pretty apparent to Hood and the rest of the Steelers that Colon is a nasty blocker. That's why he beat out Starks at RT for 2 seasons in a row.

steelreserve
06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I totally agree! In colledge they moved him around alot to keep teams from focusing on him too much witch shows his versatility. With the vetrans helping "Ziggy" out given a little time and reps, "Ziggy" will be a great player for us imo!:thumbsup:

Did you just spell it "colledge"?

LVSteelersfan
06-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Maybe the combination of Urbik and Colon will work better than Simmons and Colon or Stapleton and Colon. It just seems that the right side needs shoring up. I don't like Colon, but it is probably because of how many 3rd and shorts he has cost us by jumping too soon. Get that under control with Colon and Kemo and we might have a decent line. I hope Urbik pans out and knocks Stapleton out of there.

Dino 6 Rings
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Its nice also knowing that Rookie LBs and DLs have a better chance of actually making plays and seeing more time than say Rookie WRs or Rookie RBs. He looks like a solid addition that could have impact the way Woodley did his Rookie year. no longer with a 3rd and long be a breather for the Oline of the other team, now we have Ziggy coming in fresh and hungry and aggressively attacking.

The Definiti0n
06-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Gettin Ziggy with it, Na Na Na Na Na Na Na, Getting Ziggy with it

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-01-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't like Colon, but it is probably because of how many 3rd and shorts he has cost us by jumping too soon. .

How many false start penalties do you think Colon had last year during the 17 week NFL season??

How many times do you think they were on 3rd and short???

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Willie Colon had 6 False start penalties in 2007. They were as follows:

Week 3 vs. PHI..........on 1st and 10
Week 3 vs. BAL.........on 3rd and 11
Week 5 vs. JAX .........on 1st and 10
Week 8 vs. NYG.........on 3rd and 8
Week 15vs. BAL........on 3rd and 6
Week 16 vs TEN.......on 1st and 10

So, LVsteelerfan. Willie Colon cost the Steelers 30 yards on false start penalties all season and none in 3rd and short. Damn Him!!! :old:

Steely McSmash
06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Anyone else notice the uncanny similarity between Charley Casserly and Moe from the three stooges?

Both of them talk in such a way that you can see every bottom tooth in their mouths.

I'm a fan of Colon's mean streak personally.

The Definiti0n
06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Willie Colon had 6 False start penalties in 2007. They were as follows:

Week 3 vs. PHI..........on 1st and 10
Week 3 vs. BAL.........on 3rd and 11
Week 5 vs. JAX .........on 1st and 10
Week 8 vs. NYG.........on 3rd and 8
Week 15vs. BAL........on 3rd and 6
Week 16 vs TEN.......on 1st and 10

So, LVsteelerfan. Willie Colon cost the Steelers 30 yards on false start penalties all season and none in 3rd and short. Damn Him!!! :old:

lol where did you find this stat. I think you just stumped the Schwab.

Slanted August
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
This is going to be interesting how the coaches use Ziggy. I remember the three man lines the Steelers played last year like that damn play Tony Romo hit TO.

Travis was completed winded and I know its not easy for Brett , Casey and company to make plays when taking on two blockers, etc. but you gotta wonder if Ziggy would be able to quickly come off the blockers during a passing down and be quick enough to catch a Tony Romo. I cant wait...

Vincent
06-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Did you just spell it "colledge"?

Unforgivable. After all we have been shown. :chuckle:

http://strangeherring.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/belushi_in_animal_house.jpg

Psyychoward86
06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Awesome, the Steelers never do it, and for good reason, but id like to see one or some of our rookies get some god playing time. Keep it up Ziggy :tt:

Galax Steeler
06-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Awesome, the Steelers never do it, and for good reason, but id like to see one or some of our rookies get some god playing time. Keep it up Ziggy :tt:

He will be the one to get the most playing time this year. I hope he cracks the starting lineup the first day.

Preacher
06-02-2009, 07:03 AM
This was pretty interesting. Most of the fan base thinks Colon sucks and should be replaced because he goes offsides 8 times a season, but its pretty apparent to Hood and the rest of the Steelers that Colon is a nasty blocker. That's why he beat out Starks at RT for 2 seasons in a row.

There's no doubt that he is both mean and a workhorse.

I just don't know why he jumps... I STILL don't like the fact that he jumped 6 times last year. Not sure what that was about. But no, I don't think he sucks. As I have said before, I wanted to see our interior fixed. . . then worry about the exterior. Sure he can be upgraded, but he sure isn't the weak point on the line right now.

After this draft, if our RG comes along, I gotta say the weak point will be C, LG. LT will have to be taken care of when Starks walks. However, That'll probably happen through the draft next year. Shipley will fight for a center position in a year or two, which leaves only the LG to deal with. Hopefully, Kemo can settle down a bit there. I think he has a good upside. After a season under his belt, its time to show it too.

Oh wait. . . this is about the D line.... :doh:

:laughing:

Go Ziggy Go.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-02-2009, 09:50 AM
lol where did you find this stat. I think you just stumped the Schwab.

I went thru each game of the 17 week Steelers season on NFL.com and totaled Colon's penalties.

6 False Starts
5 Holding
2 illegal formations

all for a total of 75 yards penalized. Colon costs the Steelers an average of 5 yards a game in penaties. I wonder why he isnt released for that massive amount of infractions:noidea:

steelwall
06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I went thru each game of the 17 week Steelers season on NFL.com and totaled Colon's penalties.

6 False Starts
5 Holding
2 illegal formations

all for a total of 75 yards penalized. Colon costs the Steelers an average of 5 yards a game in penaties. I wonder why he isnt released for that massive amount of infractions:noidea:

Well seems the theme is more mental mistakes then anything else...these can be fixed. He's a mean blocker he just needs to concentrate a bit ore before the snap, and he'll be fine...IMO

DACEB
06-02-2009, 08:40 PM

6 False Starts
5 Holding
2 illegal formations

I'm not hatin on Colon, but I thought he had a ton more illegal fomations. At least to me.

SunshineMan21
06-02-2009, 11:01 PM

6 False Starts
5 Holding
2 illegal formations

My problem with Colon has nothing to do with his penalties. It's that he's a simply awful pass-blocker, a fact that isn't always reflected in "sack" stats (Colon usually looks fairly bad in these, but "sacks allowed" stats are pretty inaccurate) but is confirmed if you ever watch him try to handle a half-decent speed rusher.

He's always been a ferocious run-blocker, and most people agree he would make a pretty good guard. But he struggles mightily with fast, agile guys coming around the edge, and this is a major pass protection problem for us.

steelwall
06-02-2009, 11:04 PM
My problem with Colon has nothing to do with his penalties. It's that he's a simply awful pass-blocker, a fact that isn't always reflected in "sack" stats (Colon usually looks fairly bad in these, but "sacks allowed" stats are pretty inaccurate) but is confirmed if you ever watch him try to handle a half-decent speed rusher.

He's always been a ferocious run-blocker, and most people agree he would make a pretty good guard. But he struggles mightily with fast, agile guys coming around the edge, and this is a major pass protection problem for us.

This is true, same goes for the other side of the line too.

Steel-Bryan
06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I hate the word "illegal formation" my team got called for it this season in the playoffs, one game before the championship because we ran a Muddle and they said it was an illegal formation, even though it was legal. And we lost. But, you guys are talking about when the lineman lines up wrong.

Fire Haley
06-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Ziggy Stardust - now that's a cool nickname.

Get us another ring and I'll write a song.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I am very excited to see Ziggy's fresh legs in there this season making an impact.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-03-2009, 12:14 AM

Sunshine, this is where you are partially correct. Colon is a bit too short, with shorter arms than you would like in an OT. That is why he tries to cheat and get an extra jump (false start penalty) or line up farther off the line (illegal formation) to get depth on the rusher.

Colon is actually a very good pass blocker with quick feet and strong base. He just physically is too short with short arms and has to cheat to get an advantage on outside rushers and sometimes gets caught. Its why I think he should have been moved to guard.

I take exception with the fans that blindly think he sucks, because they dont know any better. The fact is that he is probably playing out of position......but doing a good job at it.

SunshineMan21
06-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Sunshine, this is where you are partially correct. Colon is a bit too short, with shorter arms than you would like in an OT. That is why he tries to cheat and get an extra jump (false start penalty) or line up farther off the line (illegal formation) to get depth on the rusher.

Colon is actually a very good pass blocker with quick feet and strong base. He just physically is too short with short arms and has to cheat to get an advantage on outside rushers and sometimes gets caught. Its why I think he should have been moved to guard.

I take exception with the fans that blindly think he sucks, because they dont know any better. The fact is that he is probably playing out of position......but doing a good job at it.

I can agree with that--I would say that it's tough to judge whether his problems in pass protection stem from poor technique/speed or short arms, but I don't really have any basis for saying his technique is poor other than that he gets beat a lot.

Basically, my end opinion is that I would be fine with Colon as a guard, and I'm sometimes fine with him at RT (when we're running), but he's a fairly serious problem in pass protection.

Maybe he and Stapleton should switch. :P