PDA

View Full Version : Levon Kirkland and Kordell Stewart

The Definiti0n
06-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm watching America's Game on NFL Network and Robert Grirrth is talking about about Levon Kirkland being a 300 pound linebacker. I'm still mad we lost that 1997 AFC Championship game lol. I wanted Kordell to at least start in a Superbowl.

I was 16 years when Kordell and Kirkland were the faces of our Offense and Defense. I wanted to be Kordell sooo bad. lol

Cheppy
06-03-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm watching America's Game on NFL Network and Robert Grirrth is talking about about Levon Kirkland being a 300 pound linebacker. I'm still mad we lost that 1997 AFC Championship game lol. I wanted Kordell to at least start in a Superbowl.

I was 16 years when Kordell and Kirkland were the faces of our Offense and Defense. I wanted to be Kordell sooo bad. lol

I'm still mad at Neil O'Donnell for handing the super bowl mvp trophy to Larry Brown............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .Kordell was not a good QB.

fansince'76
06-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm still mad we lost that 1997 AFC Championship game lol. I wanted Kordell to at least start in a Superbowl.

Why, so he could throw 3 picks (or more) in the SB as opposed to the AFCCG (which he was great at)? No thanks, watching O'Donnell do it once in a SB was enough for me.

The Definiti0n
06-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Hind sight yea Stewart would have been better served as a WR/PR. But come on, I know I wasnt the only one exicted when he initally became the starter.

Cheppy
06-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Hind sight yea Stewart would have been better served as a WR/PR. But come on, I know I wasnt the only one exicted when he initally became the starter.

You weren't the only one but I wasn't one of'em. He was an abomination at the QB position & the fact that he & his block-head now proclaims that he woud've won a super bowl behind the Steelers 08 defense just makes him even more worthless.

Steeldude
06-04-2009, 12:56 AM
But come on, I know I wasnt the only one exicted when he initally became the starter.

i was extremely upset when they made kordell the starting QB. i caught heat for years when i made long, detailed posts explaining how he is not a QB and so on. i will never understand how so many people bought into this idiotic experiment.

don't worry Definition, you are right, you weren't the only fooled by this abusrd experiment of trying to make WR into an NFL QB. the kordell experiment is one of the biggest blunders in the history of the pittsburgh steelers organization.

steelwall
06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Kordell was never a LEADER and much less a QB.....but Kirkland,,,,wheeewwww straight man he was. I like 300 pound line backers that can run like 275.........freight train commin.

steelreserve
06-04-2009, 03:13 AM
aww, man. The title of this thread made me think they finally found out who Kordell was gay with.

Galax Steeler
06-04-2009, 03:42 AM
aww, man. The title of this thread made me think they finally found out who Kordell was gay with.

Thats funny.:toofunny:

The Definiti0n
06-04-2009, 05:26 AM

Rumors like this one ran Kordell out of Pittsburgh. Mean obviously gay QB's (Mark Sanchez, Troy Aikman) are given the key to the city.

WeegiesWarriors
06-04-2009, 07:53 AM

profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter you. Kirkland deserves to be considered in the discussion of All-Time Steeler Linebackers (I'd put him in the top 3). The guy would stop a RB cold in the hole and then run with him down the seem in perfect coverage. He tops the list as my favorite all time Steeler. He's no catcher for Kordell.

Steel Head
06-04-2009, 07:54 AM
I hope you guys realize that Kordell being gay was a rumor and not true

Steel Head
06-04-2009, 07:55 AM
profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter you. Kirkland deserves to be considered in the discussion of All-Time Steeler Linebackers (I'd put him in the top 3). .

I am a big Kirkland fan but top 3 is ridiculous (Lambert, Ham, Russell, Lloyd)

WeegiesWarriors
06-04-2009, 08:05 AM

Lambert, Ham, Kirkland, Lloyd.

atlsteelers
06-04-2009, 08:39 AM

i have been around kordell and shot the sh*t with him a few times. my buddy used to live in the same building as kordell in atlanta. there is no way he is gay. you should have seen the girl he is always with she was simply smoking hot. kordell is a really friendly dude - i liked him as a player (although sometimes he was frustrating to watch) and i like him more as a person.

Steel Head
06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
i have been around kordell and shot the sh*t with him a few times. my buddy used to live in the same building as kordell in atlanta. there is no way he is gay. you should have seen the girl he is always with she was simply smoking hot. kordell is a really friendly dude - i liked him as a player (although sometimes he was frustrating to watch) and i like him more as a person.

Yeah, I've seen his wife who is very hot. It was a funny joke for a minute back in the day but is stupid to continue now

Dino 6 Rings
06-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Kordell couldn't forget mistakes. He didn't have the "calm" and "cool" it takes to be able to throw a pick in the 1st Qrt and forget it about it in the 2nd. When he was on, and having a great day, it was fun as helll to watch. But when on the 2nd drive, he fumbled a snap, or threw a pick, you knew, it was just going to be down hill from there all day.

We don't speak about Neil with kind words. He threw that game intentionally as far as I'm concerned.

Kirkland was a beast, no doubt, but so are most Steelers Linebackers. That's the thing about our Team, we always have monster linebackers. Its great fun.

atlsteelers
06-04-2009, 09:10 AM
kordell would struggle in the big games thats what made it hurt so bad. but i liked him a heck alot more than tommy turnover.

thats what makes ben such a special qb - he plays big in big games.

KeiselPower99
06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I liked Levon. That dude could move for his size.

scsteeler
06-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Get ready to get your bashing for wanting to be Kordell. :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

SteelMember
06-04-2009, 09:32 AM

He was probably not gay, but Cowher did say he was a good kisser. :laughing:

aries4972
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM

.... don't worry your secret is SAFE!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

revefsreleets
06-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Levon Kirkland was the best player on the field in Super Bowl XXX.

Dino 6 Rings
06-04-2009, 11:33 AM

I disagree. Rod Woodson

MDSteel15
06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I disagree. Rod Woodson

1a and 1b!!!

revefsreleets
06-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Just as a refresher, Kirkland had 10 tackles, a sack, and i think he broke up a pass downfield as well.

Steel Head
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Bam Morris

Kirkland was awesome that game but he did miss a tackle on an Emmit Smith TD run

tony hipchest
06-04-2009, 12:34 PM
10 tackles and a sack is nice, but as far as statlines is concerned is easilly trumped by browns 2 int or emmits 2 td's.

HOF's such as irvin and smith aside (who were both outplayed by our guys) plus potential HOFer d. sanders, and 5X SB champ c. haley, the best player on the field that day was the QB who DIDNT throw 3 interceptions.

i would gladly have traded kirkland for aikman (who did for dallas exactly what cowher wanted his qb's to do for him), and gladly watched him deliver the steelers 4-5 SB's from 94-01.

aikman had about as many yards as odonnell in about half the attempts. he wasnt rattled by our great defens, managed the game, and did exactly what a steelers qb has been expected to do all of these years.

manage the game and dont f- it up. go out and win it when you have to.

scsteeler
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
10 tackles and a sack is nice, but as far as statlines is concerned is easilly trumped by browns 2 int or emmits 2 td's.

HOF's such as irvin and smith aside (who were both outplayed by our guys) plus potential HOFer d. sanders, and 5X SB champ c. haley, the best player on the field that day was the QB who DIDNT throw 3 interceptions.

i would gladly have traded kirkland for aikman (who did for dallas exactly what cowher wanted his qb's to do for him), and gladly watched him deliver the steelers 4-5 SB's from 94-01.

aikman had about as many yards as odonnell in about half the attempts. he wasnt rattled by our great defens, managed the game, and did exactly what a steelers qb has been expected to do all of these years.

manage the game and dont f- it up. go out and win it when you have to.

Neil O'Donnell Should have been voted Dallas's MVP for that Super Bowl.

MaidenIndiana
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
O'Donnell was busy thinking about the big money he was going to get from the Jets instaed of thinking about the game at hand. To this day I'm still pissed about SB XXX and I want to know how much O'Donnell had bet with the bookies. To throw those passes straight to Brown, you know something was going on

revefsreleets
06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I said best player "on the field that day".

He wasn't the best overall player, nor was his career the most stellar of all the people on the field, but he had a great game.

I know that I'm pretty much going to be relegated to having to defend every effing statement i ever make again on these boards, but, it is what it is...

Steel Head
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM

He wasn't the best overall player, nor was his career the most stellar of all the people on the field, but he had a great game.

I know that I'm pretty much going to be relegated to having to defend every effing statement i ever make again on these boards, but, it is what it is...

Bam Morris was the best player for the Steelers in that game

Kirkland played great but missed a key tackle on Emmit Smith

fansince'76
06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Kirkland was awesome that game but he did miss a tackle on an Emmit Smith TD run

I blame O'Donnell for that since he put them on our doorstep twice and it was his eff-ups that directly led to Smith's two TDs. We completely stuffed his ass otherwise the rest of the game. 13 years later and it still pisses me off when I think about it. :mad:

Cheppy
06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
13 years later and it still pisses me off when I think about it. :mad:

I'd have to egg his house if he lived by me.

The Definiti0n
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Kordell is the 3rd best QB in franchise history

tony hipchest
06-04-2009, 05:41 PM
is there an echo in here or something? :huh:

the best player on the field that day was the QB who DIDNT throw 3 interceptions.

:wtf: uh yeah, kinda caught that the first time there, cheif. (great job of quoting ME as something YOU said, though) :busted:

holy shit, just because somebody disagrees with the most simple of statements or concepts doesnt mean they are incapable of reading or comprehending. :shake01:

its really quite basic and universal that the qb is regarded as the most important player on the nfl football field. the difference of sb XXX was odonnell losing it and aikman NOT losing it.

theres a reason why qb's (like aikman) are #1 draft picks, raking in all the cash, multiple sb winners, mvp winners, and first ballot HOF'ers, etc. whereas stat leaders like kevin greene are on the outside looking in.

just a refresher- on kirklands only sack it was a jailhouse break and aikman tripped over his own feet backpedalling, giving kirkland an unmolested shoestring sack. a great play by levon coulda been made even worse by aikman, by throwing up a pick as opposed to taking the loss of yards and punting.

kirkland had a great game (as did kordell) but it was not mistake free. aikman played perfectly.

Preacher
06-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Kordell is the 3rd best QB in franchise history

Absolutely. I know people don't like him. But look at the stats. He actually did some pretty good things for us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Absolutely. I know people don't like him. But look at the stats. He actually did some pretty good things for us.

Stats Schmats. If you look at it, Mark Malone is #7 all time in Steeler passing yardage and most here say he was the worst Steeler QB ever.

Personally, I think KS was decent for the Steelers, but his mechanics caused him to sail balls high and was never an accurate passer. He put up some yardage, but I would take Tommy Maddox, Bobby Layne, Joe Gillam, Bubby Brister and maybe Mike Tomczak over Stewart.

Steeldude
06-05-2009, 12:18 AM
kordell was a cancer the team had to overcome in each game. i would gladly take stoudt over kordell. kordell was given a top notch running attack, defense and O-line and he could do nothing with it, but kill it. especially in the post-season where kordell had a QB rating of 47 or so.

IMO, kordell cost the steelers 2 SB trips.

WeegiesWarriors
06-05-2009, 06:09 AM
My feeling on Super Bowl XXX was if we won... Kirkland got MVP. A long shot, and probably wouldn't have happened, but that's who I would've voted.

xfl2001fan
06-05-2009, 06:21 AM
My feeling on Super Bowl XXX was if we won... Kirkland got MVP. A long shot, and probably wouldn't have happened, but that's who I would've voted.

If you would have won? Odds are, the only way that happens is Niel O'Donnel doesn't throw the INTs.... Didn't you have a WR with 10 catches? If so, and the INTs aren't given away...your WR gets the MVP.

10 Tackles by a LB isn't a special stat...it's a good stat...but not mind blowing. Same with 1 sack. 10 catches by a WR...especially in the SB against a team with Deion Sanders...that would have been what most people talked about.

Steel Head
06-05-2009, 07:21 AM
The reason the Steelers got back into SB XXX was Bam Morris running the ball. He would have been our MVP

revefsreleets
06-05-2009, 08:10 AM
The stats only tell half the story for Kirkland that day. The guy wasa freak of nature, flying to the ball, plugging gaps, changing the direction of the plays. He had a great career, but that day was something special.

I suggest a re-watching of the game for anybody who's memory has been fuzzed up by time.

And, Tony, ease up on the paranoia, will ya? Football posting is your strong point, and there ARE other people posting opinions here besides yourself. My post was not specifically directed at you...

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-05-2009, 09:53 AM
If you would have won? Odds are, the only way that happens is Niel O'Donnel doesn't throw the INTs.... Didn't you have a WR with 10 catches? If so, and the INTs aren't given away...your WR gets the MVP.

. Hastings was big in that game in making timely catches, but his 10 receptions for 98 yards were not gonna get him the MVP if the Steelers win. If O Donnell only throws 1 INT instead of 3, he probably gets the MVP.

As good of a game as Kirkland played, you are right that 10 tackles by an ILB is pretty much expected and not that special. I think the only way that LB's get MVP consideration in the super bowl is if they make big INT's like Jack Squirek or Rod Martin did (or are overhyped players like Ray Lewis)

revefsreleets
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, realistically, they aren't very likely to name a defensive player SB MVP. Harrison's play last year was more deserving, and he was overlooked. That's not the point though...

As I stated, on that particular day, I didn't see a player on the field perform at a higher level than Levon Kirkland.

I know some people will argue with me regardless, even if I express utterly obvious things like the grass is green and the sky is blue or it's easier to convert 3rd and short than it is 3rd and long, but that won't stop me from posting my opinions. Sorry....

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
And similarly some posters will argue that Nick Mangold was not a highly touted center in the 2006 draft...........just because they can't admit they were wrong.

triphahn
06-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Certainly top 5. And you can argue about him going higher.

atlsteelers
06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I know some people will argue with me regardless, even if I express utterly obvious things like the grass is green and the sky is blue or it's easier to convert 3rd and short than it is 3rd and long, but that won't stop me from posting my opinions. Sorry....

its because of some of your other outrageous post...like the grass is green, the sky is blue, and OSU is better at everything...hehehe

revefsreleets
06-05-2009, 02:49 PM
And similarly some posters will argue that Nick Mangold was not a highly touted center in the 2006 draft...........just because they can't admit they were wrong.

Apparently it really stings to have being wrong, blatantly wrong, pointed out to you. SO much so that you feel the need to TWIST my posts about Mangold into something preposterously stupid in order to try and get a leg back up.

Whatever.

I clarified that. Mangold had some knocks on him. They weren't justified. They were wrong. I pointed out that he had some knocks on him, and you spun it into ME saying he wasn't the best center in the draft. Nonsense, and VERY transparent.

Move along, sir. You were very wrong about 3rd and short, and you feel like you need revenge, but try to find it elsewhere, okay? What you are doing here is petulant and petty...

Anyway, back on track...it's not only me who thought that Kirkland was awesome that day:

http://the-steelyard.blogspot.com/2007/11/levon-kirkland-first-time-eligible.html

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091100aab.html

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/story?id=dameshekcolumn090330

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/070201

The real shame of that game, I think, was had the Steelers not misfired so often, linebacker Levon Kirkland would have likely been the MVP. Kirk was a class act and a phenomenal, ferocious linebacker with great feet and a huge heart.

Cheppy
06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Anyway, back on track...it's not only me who thought that Kirkland was awesome that day:

http://the-steelyard.blogspot.com/2007/11/levon-kirkland-first-time-eligible.html

Pretty in-depth article. Saying he was clearly the best player on the field that day isn't a red flag either.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091100aab.html

The fact that you're using other people's opinions is lame enough, but you're going to use an article from his alma mater? It even says he had 16 tackles instead of 10:laughing:

Screw you for making me say anything remotely negative about Kirkland.

Kirkland & Lloyd were my favorite players of the 90s but even I have to admit Aikman was the most deserving of MVP that day. One thing I think we all can agree upon is Cowher's onsides call being one of the most epic ever.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Revs, I could care less about "getting a leg back up".

You claim that others on this board are wrong and condesendingly refer to them. But, when Steel Head said Mangold was considered one of the best Center prospects in the past 15 years ......you vigorously objected.

Now, when I posted opinions from Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock and Tony Pauline that backed up Steel Head's statement.............you said "I'm done".

If anybody will argue the grass is not green for the sake of arguement on this board, it is you.

rich4eagle
06-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm still mad at Neil O'Donnell for handing the super bowl mvp trophy to Larry Brown............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .Kordell was not a good QB.

Cheppy, I am just wondering if the mob had O'Donnell under contract for those two throws which were way past unbelievable bad.

On second thought I wonder if AL Davis was part of the mob for offering Brown a zillion dollars for being out of position and having the ball thrown to him.

Three of worst in NFL History, O'Donnell el chocko or worse, Brown in cement feet a recipient and then being an MVP............and then a team paying him a gazillion for being useless

That game created a major threepeat of incompetence............O'Donnell, The NFL, and Oakland!:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

revefsreleets
06-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Revs, I could care less about "getting a leg back up".

You claim that others on this board are wrong and condesendingly refer to them. But, when Steel Head said Mangold was considered one of the best Center prospects in the past 15 years ......you vigorously objected.

Now, when I posted opinions from Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Mike Mayock and Tony Pauline that backed up Steel Head's statement.............you said "I'm done".

If anybody will argue the grass is not green for the sake of arguement on this board, it is you.

That's certainly possible. Steel head is one of the least informed posters on this board, and I may have reacted to that.

But I doubt it.

Sorry you don't like my posting style. You are more than welcome to put me on ignore. I just put that idiot Cheppy on mine.

Cheppy
06-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Cheppy, I am just wondering if the mob had O'Donnell under contract for those two throws which were way past unbelievable bad.

On second thought I wonder if AL Davis was part of the mob for offering Brown a zillion dollars for being out of position and having the ball thrown to him.

Three of worst in NFL History, O'Donnell el chocko or worse, Brown in cement feet a recipient and then being an MVP............and then a team paying him a gazillion for being useless

That game created a major threepeat of incompetence............O'Donnell, The NFL, and Oakland!:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Wish I knew man, wish I knew.

Dino 6 Rings
06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Kirkland & Lloyd were my favorite players of the 90s but even I have to admit Aikman was the most deserving of MVP that day. One thing I think we all can agree upon is Cowher's onsides call being one of the most epic ever.

Noll called an Onside kick in the SB as well back in the Day, think it was during Super Bowl X.

Also, the Onside kick in SB 30 wasn't Cowher's idea, the Special Team's coach runs up to Cowher right after we get that field goal and says "Suprise Onside Coach, Suprise Onside!" and Cowher agreed. It worked out perfectly. We drive down, score a TD, then Kick off, again, stuff them, get the ball back and then, Thigpen drops a wide open pass on 1st down, and instead of Running the ball with Bam who was having an Epic game on the ground vs the Cowboys who had Killed Thurman Thomas the previous two SBs vs the Bills, we continue to Throw and what happens? Neil Choked. (or intentionally threw the 2nd int.)

Cheppy
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Noll called an Onside kick in the SB as well back in the Day, think it was during Super Bowl X.

Also, the Onside kick in SB 30 wasn't Cowher's idea, the Special Team's coach runs up to Cowher right after we get that field goal and says "Suprise Onside Coach, Suprise Onside!" and Cowher agreed. It worked out perfectly. We drive down, score a TD, then Kick off, again, stuff them, get the ball back and then, Thigpen drops a wide open pass on 1st down, and instead of Running the ball with Bam who was having an Epic game on the ground vs the Cowboys who had Killed Thurman Thomas the previous two SBs vs the Bills, we continue to Throw and what happens? Neil Choked. (or intentionally threw the 2nd int.)

That's right.. I remember the sound byte. "We're not leaving anything in the bag." I think I popped a blood vessel when we got the ball back. Man, we had them reeling.....I have to stay away from this thread now:laughing: (about to start steelers/ratbirds afc championship game, on blu ray:grin: