PDA

View Full Version : Mangini will name Quinn or Anderson as Browns' QB late in preseason

Fire Haley
06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Ha ha!

He'll end up flipping a coin just like Jelly Donut. Good luck.

BEREA, Ohio -- First-year Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini says he will not decide on Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson as his starting quarterback until late in the preseason.

Mangini said before Thursday's voluntary practice that he will take his time evaluating the two quarterbacks and wants to see how they play in preseason games before making his choice.

Anderson was a Pro Bowl selection in 2007, but he lost his job midway through last season to Quinn, a former Notre Dame star and first-round draft pick. Both Quinn (finger) and Anderson (knee) suffered season-ending injuries last season, when the Browns' offense failed to score a touchdown in the team's final six games.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810a96a7&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

RoethlisBURGHer
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Does it really matter who plays quarterback for the Clowns? I don't think so.

Pro's to Anderson:

1. Strong arm to throw through the winds coming off of Lake Erie.

2. Throws a nice deep ball.

3. Gunslinger mentality will allow him to forget about interceptions.

Cons to Anderson:

1. Can't read a defense.

2. Has no touch on short and intermediate throws.

3. Gunslinger mentality will lead to many interceptions.

Pros to Quinn:

1. Smart and cerebral quarterback will make good decisions with the football.

2. Weaker arm allows for more of a ball control offense, keeping the defense playing closer to the line of scrimmage. letting him eventually go over-the-top.

3. Has command of the huddle.

Cons to Quinn:

1. Weaker arm might not be able to cut through the strong winds coming off of Lake Erie.

2. Doesn't like to go deep due to his weaker arm.

Psyychoward86
06-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I wanna see Pretty Boy get beat up.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-06-2009, 12:04 AM
http://www.surpriseattackrecords.com/store/images/record_covers/smokeandmirrors-flashthunderdemo.jpg

Quinn will get the job. From the sounds of Mangini's offense he's trying to make it a ground game favoring, ball-control offense and which would sort of favor a smart QB like Quinn over DA. If you take a look at our draft class, Mangini went after the smart kids like Mack on purpose for this exact reason.

It's going to be a rough year for us 6-10, but, eh, I'm used to do it and will watch every game.

I'm sort of happy that at least we're starting to build our o-line up at least, if we can get that going. Who knows?

RoethlisBURGHer
06-06-2009, 01:09 AM
http://www.surpriseattackrecords.com/store/images/record_covers/smokeandmirrors-flashthunderdemo.jpg

Quinn will get the job. From the sounds of Mangini's offense he's trying to make it a ground game favoring, ball-control offense and which would sort of favor a smart QB like Quinn over DA. If you take a look at our draft class, Mangini went after the smart kids like Mack on purpose for this exact reason.

It's going to be a rough year for us 6-10, but, eh, I'm used to do it and will watch every game.

I'm sort of happy that at least we're starting to build our o-line up at least, if we can get that going. Who knows?

Ball control would work well for your team. Short passes and a strong power run game means less turnovers, and the less time for the opposing offense to score.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Ball control would work well for your team. Short passes and a strong power run game means less turnovers, and the less time for the opposing offense to score.

Agreed on that, I thought our offense two years ago was great, but for the type of climate a typical AFC North team has to deal with, it doesn't work for half the season all that well. If lets say, we played in a dome, it would. Part of us missing the playoffs in '07 was because rather than run the ball against Cincy in December, they decided to have DA just chuck the ball in windy and snowy conditions. That won't win ball games.

..and as our defense is probably still a work in progress (we have nobody really standing out at LB quite yet, and our Corners are...well..I'd rate a C), it probably would be best to use that type of offense.

Now the problem the Brownies have is, Who's going to run the ball effectively in this offense? Lewis is on his last legs. Harrison is awesome, but not an every-down back, and Davis, while a great RB at Clemson, split carries with another great back in CJ Spiller. So while the Browns did get a lot better at receiver and on the o-line, they're lacking the guy that would have been Jamal Lewis about 6 years ago. I'm really hoping to pick up a Solid Running back in the 2nd-3rd round after we either draft a Safety, RT/RG or Linebacker with the 1st.

STEELtownHAVOX
06-06-2009, 06:12 AM
browns should just sign vick, he's better than quinn and anderson

AllD
06-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Didn't they pay Anderson a $5 million roster bonus? If he is not prepared to start, that is a lot of money to pay a back up.

revefsreleets
06-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Mangina actually likes DA better. Both have sucked ass in drills so far, but Quinn was always a player who stepped up in games and was ineffective in practice.

DA is just awful, and there's really no way he wins this spot. He's a career back-up at best, and the end is in sight for him. It was a good run...he fooled a lot of people, and made a killing in the meantime. But back to reality now...

St33lersguy
06-06-2009, 07:59 AM
In the end neither of those guys are going to beat the steelers

RoethlisBURGHer
06-06-2009, 09:37 AM
browns should just sign vick, he's better than quinn and anderson

:rofl: Vick is a horrible quarterback!

KeiselPower99
06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Is favre still gonna show up at Browns camp?

xfl2001fan
06-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Is favre still gonna show up at Browns camp?

Unlikely. I honestly believe that Favre is done...but that he is weighing his options...and if he comes to camp as a "consultant" then any team that is considering bringing him in as a QB will consider that he is definitely done.