PDA

View Full Version : Cornerback Ratliff says decision to sign with the Steelers was a no-brainer

mesaSteeler
06-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Cornerback Ratliff says decision to sign with the Steelers was a no-brainer

By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, June 6, 2009
John Harris is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail or at 412-481-5432.
Home Delivery
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_628377.html

The Steelers got to know cornerback Keiwan Ratliff up-close-and-personal during the 2008 season when he was a member of the Indianapolis Colts.

Ratliff's interception of a Ben Roethlisberger pass set up a Colts' touchdown late in the second quarter of Indianapolis' 24-20 victory at Heinz Field.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin reminded Ratliff of that interception during practice this week.

"Coach Tomlin was teasing me," Ratliff said. "I dropped an interception in practice (Tuesday). He was saying if I dropped that one last year, the game could have gone the other way.''

An unrestricted free agent after last season, Ratliff believed the Colts would re-sign him. When they didn't, he signed a one-year deal with the Steelers.

"Coming here was a blessing," he said. "Who could turn down a team who was basically No. 1 in every major defensive category in the league? If you've got a chance to play with the Steelers, it's kind of like being a wide receiver and having an opportunity to play with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

"No matter what, if (the Steelers) offered, this is where I was going to be.''

Ratliff gives the Steelers veteran depth. In addition to lining up at backup cornerback at Steelers' practices, he has filled in at safety in the absence of Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter.

"Guys who can play multiple positions have a greater opportunity of being on the field,'' said Ratliff, 28. "The Steelers lost a good player in Bryant McFadden. As a cornerback, when you see something like that, a guy on the Super Bowl winning team who goes elsewhere, you know there's going to be an open spot.''

A second-round draft pick in 2004, Ratliff played three seasons with Cincinnati before being released. He joined Tampa Bay briefly and signed with Indianapolis toward the end of the 2007 season. The Colts released him twice last season but re-signed him after cornerback Marlin Jackson went on injured reserve.

Ratliff recorded 32 tackles and two interceptions in four starts last season. He also returned an interception 35 yards against the Jaguars' David Garrard for his first NFL score.

"The thing I do best is make plays,'' said Ratliff, who has five career inteceptions. "Some guys are physical corners or cover corners. I consider myself a playmaker.

"Last year was the first time in a couple of years I got a chance to play 70-plus snaps a game and actually put extensive filmwork out there.''

Galax Steeler
06-06-2009, 06:17 AM
I like what I am hearing from this guy. Sounds like he is ready to play some football and contribute on the field.

CantStop85
06-06-2009, 07:11 AM
He'd be a really good CB if he weren't slow as molasses. I always thought he would be better as a FS, ala Artrell Hawkins.

Texasteel
06-06-2009, 08:00 AM
"Coming here was a blessing," he said. "Who could turn down a team who was basically No. 1 in every major defensive category in the league? If you've got a chance to play with the Steelers, [B]it's kind of like being a wide receiver and having an opportunity to play with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

''

First live drill Ben's gonna throw right at his head.:chuckle:

stillers4me
06-06-2009, 08:38 AM

That's what I was thinking when I read that. :helmet:

St33lersguy
06-06-2009, 09:13 AM
The steelers are happy he's a steeler, most of us fans are happy he's a steeler, he's happy to be a steeler. Boy how things work out

scsteeler
06-06-2009, 09:55 AM

"Coming here was a blessing," he said. "Who could turn down a team who was basically No. 1 in every major defensive category in the league? If you've got a chance to play with the Steelers, it's kind of like being a wide receiver and having an opportunity to play with Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Another note on Ratiliff's statement:

Comments like that will only go to fuel the fire to make Ben show that when they talk of great QB's his name will be mentioned as one of the Best if not the best for years to come.

I also think Ratliff will be a fine addition to the team.

mulldog24
06-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I had actually hoped that we would draft him but we got Ricardo Coclough. I am glad we signed him I think he will be pretty good for us this year.:thumbsup:

Psyychoward86
06-06-2009, 04:51 PM
With our perennial starters, Gay, the rookies, and Keiwan, we seem pretty much set at cornerback. Maybe he'll be this year's surprise player for us.

The Definiti0n
06-07-2009, 01:42 AM
.......when does the season start?

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I dont know if he sticks. Gotta show some return value and hope we keep 6 CB's

Taylor, Townsend, Gay, Lewis, Ratliff, Burnett.

KYsteelfan
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM
im pretty excited that he is here. he really seems to be happy, and what defensive player wouldnt jump all over the oppurtunity to play with the steelers? i think he will be a solid addition this year

Dino 6 Rings
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Can he cover kicks?

devilsdancefloor
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
if i remember right i think he returned some punts last year for the dolts

Steel Head
06-08-2009, 01:01 PM
hopefully we've found another diamond in the rough like when we signed Ryan Clark

pancake
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
How good can this guy be??? The Gals cut him and didn't he get cut twice last year? I'm pulling for the rookies to beat him out.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Ratliff was signed as depth after McFadden left and a guy that can return punts and kickoffs as he was successful at Florida in doing both.

Now that 2 rookies were drafted he must fight them off for a roster spot, but he has a chance to be the #4 CB and return kicks. Yeah he his happy to be a Steeler, but might not be one next year........even if he does make the roster.

Fire Haley
06-08-2009, 02:18 PM
At least he can hold on to the ball and make an INT - maybe that novelty will rub off on Ike.

chucoblack&gold
06-09-2009, 01:16 AM
At least he can hold on to the ball and make an INT - maybe that novelty will rub off on Ike.

ouch!!:chuckle:

agree, nonetheless