PDA

View Full Version : Steelers of '70s dismiss Tarkenton's comments

mesaSteeler
06-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Steelers of '70s dismiss Tarkenton's comments
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/06/07/sports/steelers/doc4a2b388217d42639500710.txt
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Sunday, June 7, 2009 8:06 AM EDT

A sore subject within the proud Pittsburgh Steelers organization is conjecture that the Super Bowl teams of the 1970s had a bunch of steroid users on the roster.

That topic was brought up recently by former NFL quarterback Frank Tarkenton, and some of the “Steel Curtain” Steelers were not happy about it.

Tarkenton, the losing quarterback in Super Bowl IX when the Steelers beat the Minnesota Vikings 16-6, made the comments during a radio interview on 790 The Zone in Atlanta.

“We’re playing the Steelers in the Super Bowl in ’75 or ’76, and I’m warming up with my center, Mick Tingelhoff, who’s an eight-time all-pro, Tarkenton said. “He’s my roommate … he’s about 6-2, 245 … we’re on the field warming up, and I see these Steeler offensive linemen with their sleeves rolled up, and they’ve got these bulging muscles.

“Later, we found out it that you know, it was Mike Webster and these guys were juiced … Steve Courson … these guys were juiced … all of them. We talk now about (former baseball stars) Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds. But how about the Steelers of that era? Did that make a difference? Yeah, it made a difference. It increased their performance.”

On Monday, The Times asked a few Steelers of that era about Tarkenton’s remarks as they played in the Tony Dorsett/McGuire Memorial Celebrity Golf Classic. They were upset and disappointed that Tarkenton would still bring up that topic.

“That’s ludicrous,” said Randy Grossman, a rookie tight end in 1974. “We played at a time when things were happening, I suppose, (with steroids). We may have had some players who were involved in it. But there were probably 25 other teams that may have had some players involved with it.

“Maybe Fran was just going over the deep end because he took of much of it.”

Tarkenton, now 69, did get some of his facts wrong when ripping the Steelers for steroids use.

For one thing, Courson, a guard, didn’t play for the Steelers then. He was just starting college.

And in the ’74 season when Webster was a rookie, he was only 6-foot-1˝ tall and weighed only 238 pounds. Plus, Webster wasn’t even the starting center. Ray Mansfield, who was never linked to steroids, started in SB IX.

And remember, the Steelers’ first Super Bowl win was noted more for a terrific defensive effort that held the Vikings to no offensive touchdowns and just 17 rushing yards while intercepting Tarkenton three times and scoring the game's first two points on a safety.[/B]:tt03::tt03: (Damn I remember that game. It was a thing of beauty. - mesa)

[B]None of the Steelers’ core defensive players of that era were ever linked to steroids.

“At that time we beat them, I would say this, none of our defensive guys did (steroids),” ex-running back Franco Harris said. “So, if Fran’s talking about our (offensive) linemen, if they did (steroids), probably only a couple. That would have been it.

“But I would think he’d be talking about our defense, because our defense really shut him down and really won the game for us more than anything else.”

Webster, who died in 2002 of a heart attack, did admit to steroid use during his career. So did Courson, who died in 2005 when a tree fell on him.

A Pittsburgh sports writer told ESPN 1250 Radio last week that running back Rocky Bleier admitted to steroid use, but only to heal his injuries. Even quarterback Terry Bradshaw admitted to using steroids, but again, only for healing purposes.

In 2005 while coaching the New Orleans Saints, former Steelers defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said steroid use in the NFL “started, really, in Pittsburgh. They got an advantage on a lot of football teams.”

Haslett also admitted that he used steroids as a player.

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney gets infuriated when the Steelers of the ’70s are linked to steroids.

“This is totally false (that steroid use in the NFL) started with the Steelers,” Rooney told two newspapers after Haslett’s comments. “(Our coach) Chuck Noll was totally against it ... Haslett, maybe it affected his mind.”

When told about Tarkenton’s remarks, ex-Steelers running back John “Frenchy” Fuqua was disappointed in his former teammate.

“I played with Fran in New York my rookie year. He was the Giants’ quarterback then,” Fuqua said. “I would hope that he’d have more class than that, to make statements like that. I would hope he was misquoted.”

When told Tarkenton was not misquoted, Fuqua said, “Fran’s probably getting up there in age. Sometimes, older people have a tendency to vent. Let’s just hope he was venting. But no, I don’t agree with him in any way whatsoever.”

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com.

(Sigh, More whining from a SB loser. I always knew that Tarkenton was a classless pile of crap. His behavior is exactly what I would expect from a three time super bowl loser. Of course there were no rules against steroids in the 1970's which never seems to be mentioned when this subject comes up. These loser teams and their fans can't beat us on the field so all they can do is whine. . - mesa)

Shoes
06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Just add Tarkenton to the loser pile :poop:

fansince'76
06-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Just add Tarkenton to the loser pile :poop:

Yep, just more sour grapes from another player who could never win the big one. :coffee:

Preacher
06-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Well, I guess we are back to being the most hated team in the NFL.

I just LOVE it, especially hearing from those Raider fans concerning the Immaculate Reception.

mesaSteeler
06-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I guess we are back to being the most hated team in the NFL.

I just LOVE it, especially hearing from those Raider fans concerning the Immaculate Reception.

Good point. Oh well, "let them hate as long as they fear". One of the Roman Ceasers when referring to barbarians.

Psyychoward86
06-07-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Later, we found out it that you know, it was Mike Webster and these guys were juiced … Steve Courson … these guys were juiced … all of them.

Tarkenton, now 69, did get some of his facts wrong when ripping the Steelers for steroids use.

For one thing, Courson, a guard, didn’t play for the Steelers then. He was just starting college.

And in the ’74 season when Webster was a rookie, he was only 6-foot-1˝ tall and weighed only 238 pounds. Plus, Webster wasn’t even the starting center. Ray Mansfield, who was never linked to steroids, started in SB IX.

This says it all....Tarkenton is either a Liar, a Drama Queen, or Senile.

stillers4me
06-07-2009, 12:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Waaaaahhhhhh-vi.gif

LVSteelersfan
06-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I suppose the Immaculate Reception was caused by steroid use as well. I am so glad that senile old Madden is finally gone so we don't have to listen to that whiny jackA$$ during our next Super Bowl telecast. He NEVER let that go. Tarkenton has shown his mind is going with these comments and the crap he is spewing about Favre. After hearing that crap, I hope Favre comes back and takes the Vikings to the Super Bowl. (only to lose to us of course)

mesaSteeler
06-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I suppose the Immaculate Reception was caused by steroid use as well. I am so glad that senile old Madden is finally gone so we don't have to listen to that whiny jackA$$ during our next Super Bowl telecast. He NEVER let that go. Tarkenton has shown his mind is going with these comments and the crap he is spewing about Favre. After hearing that crap, I hope Favre comes back and takes the Vikings to the Super Bowl. (only to lose to us of course)

" I am so glad that senile old Madden is finally gone so we don't have to listen to that whiny jackA$$ during our next Super Bowl telecast. " :applaudit: :hatsoff: :applaudit: I could not agree with more. I'm so glad that fat fool is gone.

SteelCityMan786
06-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I'll call the Whambulance.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YUUAn5bgpwo/Rd4b2GmzLlI/AAAAAAAAAGY/t8w87nzXTKQ/s400/whambulance.bmp

Vincent
06-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Imagine being that old and bitter. 69 years old and still can't come to grips with the fact that his offense was abused by what would become the best defense of all time. Abused. Bitch-slapped, rolled and abused.

This is 62 year old John Kolb. He is obviously NOT a current or former steroid user.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1278971073489723672

Message to Fran: If muscles frighten you, stay away from sports.

Edman
06-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Fran Tarkenton is an idiot.

I wonder what his excuses are for losing Super Bowls VIII and XI? Were the Dolphins and Raiders roided up too?

Dude's just mad that he got whipped on by the greatest defense of all time and is ringless. Throw the dude into the pile of losers "victimized by unfair tactics" against the Steelers. Seahags, Cards, and now the Vikes.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
06-07-2009, 02:06 PM
giveTarkenton the phone # to the Seahags and the Cardinals so they can all cry together over their super bowl losses.

devilsdancefloor
06-07-2009, 02:07 PM
this gets SOOOOOOOOOO old!
:yawn:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-07-2009, 02:17 PM
What else are they supposed to say?

If they say "Yeah we did it", their legacy would be tarnished

If they keep mum and say "No Comment" when asked about it, they look like they're keeping quiet as they don't want people talking about it.

If they say "Nope, we didn't do it", it makes them look favorable amongst Steeler fans who likely still believe they didn't do it.

Now, I hold by that they did do that not only did the Steelers do it in the '70's, but I'd include the Raiders, Cowboys and maybe even the Rams as likely candidates (see Jack Youngblood playing on a broken leg.). In the 80's, one has to think that the Giants DEFINITELY used it, If anyone has ever played Blitz the League with LT in it, there's definitely a good chance that is true. The Brownies? Judging by how they got beaten in the '70s by the whole wide world, I'd say were pretty clean. :chuckle: (Alzado being an exception, but remember he was a Raider castoff)

Everybody was guilty during the Roid eras of Baseball and Football and no one was safe to me, I think that my beloved Indians of the Mid-90's definitely did roids, and I'd be naive to not think so.

I'm not trying to come off as bitter a-hole here, I just think that a lot of sports that we have seen/see is likely a lot more seedier than meets the eye. Something I try to whistle around and ignore while watching a game. But I think that there's a lot of stuff out there that Pro sports leagues would never like us to know.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Now, I hold by that they did do that not only did the Steelers do it in the '70's, but I'd include the Raiders, Cowboys and maybe even the Rams as likely candidates

Your record is stuck. :coffee:

Heard you make this arguement before...unless you have any further proof than what you have mentioned before....???

Let me give you an example of a VALID argument...

Cleveland Browns tackle Ryan Tucker is suspended for violation of NFL steroid policy
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/08/cleveland_browns_tackle_ryan_t.html

fansince'76
06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
The Brownies? Judging by how they got beaten in the '70s by the whole wide world, I'd say were pretty clean. :chuckle: (Alzado being an exception, but remember he was a Raider castoff)

You realize that Alzado began his career with the Broncos, and played for them long before and for longer than he did for the Raiders, right? He also played for the Browns for 3 seasons before he went to the Raiders as well. But I'm sure he only juiced during his time with the Raiders. :rolleyes:

fansince'76
06-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Heard you make this arguement before...unless you have any further proof than what you have mentioned before....???

Sure, after all, a LB who played for the Bills in the '80s said steroid use in the NFL began and ended with the Steelers in the '70s, so it must be true. :coffee:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Your record is stuck. :coffee:

Let me give you an example of a VALID argument...

Cleveland Browns tackle Ryan Tucker is suspended for violation of NFL steroid policy
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/08/cleveland_browns_tackle_ryan_t.html

What did I say in the last paragraph?

The League is a lot seedier than people want to think it is. My Browns, I love them are not really excluded.

And I meant the not roided part as a joke, as during the '70s we took a nosedive.

OX1947
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
First of all, Steroids were not illegal in the 70's. Second, and most importantly, the Steelers didn't invent the damn thing. You are telling me that there wasn't a Viking on that team on them? If you believe that, you are not naive, you are a moron.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-07-2009, 05:02 PM
The Cleveland Browns have been linked to Steroids since the 1960's

The book Anabolic steroids in sport and exercise By Charles Yesalis states on page 60 that according to physicians and players. members of the Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Falcons, and Cleveland Browns used anabolic steroids in the 1960s. So I dont think we need to go there.

In regards to Tarkenton, he should have taken notes in the 70's to help him with his failing memory...not only does he "remember" steroid enhanced players in that Super Bowl game that A) didnt even start and B) werent even on the team....but he conveniently forgets the cocaine problem linked to the Vikings of the 60's and 70's.
Cocaine, by the way, WAS illegal at the time...unlike steroids. But ya know...Stones & Glass houses and all that.

Tarkenton is on a roll with self-promotion...feeling the need to give his two cents on Favre...the Steelers...yet strangely quiet about the skeletons in his own closet.

I am willing to bet that a former Steeler linemen can come up with more evidence about Tarkenton being taken to court, being found guilty of fraud by overstating earnings of $8 million, and subsequently being fined $100,000 dollars by the Security and Exchange Commision ...than Tarkenton can find for a 70's Steeler being guilty of breaking the leagues steroid policy.

Texasteel
06-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I watched Tarkenton threw most of his career, remember I grew up in Iowa.

Tarkenton should take his overrated career and keep his freakin mouth shut. Hoping that no one realizes that he was actually a SLIGHTLY above average QB on a fairly good team.

AllD
06-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I still had a little respect for Tark even after watching him sell swamp land and other assorted crap on informercials. Now he is just a whining old fool. There is no way he is going to scramble out of this one especially after his facts were incorrect.

MongoSteeler
06-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I really can't think of anyone who cares what Fran has to say about this or anything else. Not illegal or punishable by the league at the timeanyway!

GBMelBlount
06-08-2009, 06:32 AM
I like Fran. He was a good quarterback.

Regardless, I just lost a lot of respect for him.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-08-2009, 08:08 AM
First, I am pretty sure that steroids in football started with the Chargers where a coach supplied the team with steroids.

Second, steroids were not illegal by law or NFL rules at the time.That means they were ALLOWED.

Whenever this comes up I get so pissed, because people wanna point the finger at the Steelers but NEVER want to answer for the three fingers pointing back at THEIR TEAM.

WeegiesWarriors
06-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I'd say Turkey Jones was full of roid rage when he attempted to paralyze Bradshaw

St33lersguy
06-08-2009, 03:21 PM
He's just jealous that he was inable to win a SB. The steelers beat the chokers because they were the better team. Just like when the steelers beat the cowgirls, the rams, the seawhiners(and their classless coach Mike Holmgrem), and the cards