THE RUMBLE
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06072009/sports/moresports/the_rumble_173005.htm
Last updated: 2:35 am
June 7, 2009
Posted: 2:34 am
June 7, 2009

Swann strikes again

Steeler great rolling into Bowling Hall

Former Steelers Super Bowl champion Lynn Swann is being recognized as a super bowling champion. The graceful Hall of Fame wide receiver will be the third inductee into the Bowling Hall of Fame Celebrities Exhibit June 24 at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Convention Center. He will be the first to be inducted into the spanking new International Bowling Museum, which is scheduled for completion next year in Arlington, Texas. "I've been bowling ever since I was a kid," Swann told The Rumble. "It was really kind of a fun family outing for us." Swann, whose average is 125-130, joins fellow former Steelers great Jerome Bettis and ex-Dodgers and Indians knuckleballer Tom Candiotti, currently a radio analyst for the Diamondbacks.

If Swann were an NFL GM, would he take a flier on Plaxico Burress?

"Probably not," Swann said, "but then I wouldn't have drafted him if I were the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didn't think he was a good fit for that team. I don't believe that Plaxico made the Steelers a better football team. Nor do I believe he was a good leader -- or he had been a leader for teams he's been on." Told that the Jets had done their due diligence on Burress, Swann said: "There's something telling in the fact you have to do due diligence."

As for Michael Vick, Swann said: "I don't believe Michael Vick will ever, ever again in his life do the things he was convicted of. Ever." But when does NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell let Vick back into the NFL? Swann points out that Vick's involvement in gambling inside his dogfighting ring undoubtedly will give Goodell pause. "The commissioner and those who are in charge of protecting the integrity of the game have other things they need to weigh," Swann, 57, said. "I think that's a huge consideration for them. They've got to be comfortable."

Preacher
06-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Dang.

Talk about a guy with a head on his shoulders.

fansince'76
06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Knew the Bus loved bowling and is really good at it to boot, but didn't know that about Swann.

Shoes
06-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Good find mesa! Thanks

mesaSteeler
06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Good find mesa! Thanks

You are welcome.

LVSteelersfan
06-07-2009, 11:51 AM
125-130 average gets you into a Bowling Hall of fame? What? I bowled 150 average in the last league I was in and was the worst by far bowler on the team. Swann, you were a great WR, but you really suck at bowling which you said you have been doing since you were a kid. (j/k but I thought that was too funny) BTW, his thoughts on Plaxico and Vick are right on target.

Preacher
06-07-2009, 11:54 AM
125-130 average gets you into a Bowling Hall of fame? What? I bowled 150 average in the last league I was in and was the worst by far bowler on the team. Swann, you were a great WR, but you really suck at bowling which you said you have been doing since you were a kid. (j/k but I thought that was too funny) BTW, his thoughts on Plaxico and Vick are right on target.

I wonder if that is a misprint. Maybe 225-230?

mesaSteeler
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I wonder if that is a misprint. Maybe 225-230?

I was wondering about that to but I haven't been able to find any references on the net to his average.

LVSteelersfan
06-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I am sure it has to be a misprint. It just struck me as hilarious. I am sure he has a much better average than that if he has been bowling since he was a kid.

Galax Steeler
06-08-2009, 03:25 AM

I was thinking the same thing it has to be a miss print.

GBMelBlount
06-08-2009, 05:38 AM
As for Michael Vick, Swann said: "I don't believe Michael Vick will ever, ever again in his life do the things he was convicted of. Ever."

I tend to agree.