PDA

View Full Version : Blame Game: who do you blame for SB XXX?

Stevo
06-07-2009, 08:46 PM
--The Cards blame the ref's and the no-replay for the Steelers winning Super Bowl XLIII.

--The Seahawks are STILL crying about them not being able to beat the 12th man (the ref's).

--LA fans say Ferragamo cost the Rams a SB victory.

--The 70's Cowboys blame their guy Jackie Smith for dropping a TD during their SB 13 loss to Pittsburgh. And naturally, they blame the ref's too.

--Now Fran Tark is blaming steroids for Super Bowl 9.

Who do you blame for Super Bowl XXX? Neil and his two INT's? Heck, after that game I would have bet a millions dollars that O'Donnell was paid off for those two bizzare throws.

WHY CAN'T A TEAM JUST LOSE???????????????? Everyone has to cry and complain about something.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-07-2009, 08:56 PM
If I was a Steelers Fan, I'd blame this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlSv0ZD0ps8

One has to remember that the Cowboys at that time had probably one of the greatest Corners of all time suiting up for them. So from the sound of it O'Donnell sounded like he had the right idea. Throw it away from Deion or risk a pick 6. Problem is, Larry Brown had a "Once-in-a-lifetime" type of game with the Cowboys, which just happened to be on the World's Biggest Stage.

theplatypus
06-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Both of those passes were so bad they make me wonder if there was a miscommunication between O'donnell and ????. I want to say it was Holiday, but that doesn't seem right.

SteelCityMan786
06-07-2009, 09:09 PM
As far as I am concerned, Neil O'Donnell made the most costly mistakes. But if you can't overcome them, odds are pretty good you don't deserve to win.

Dino 6 Rings
06-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Neil

he choked

devilsdancefloor
06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
i personally blame the sun! erm the stadium lights um um we lost to a good team as much as it pains me to say it. im sure if we had to do it over again bam would have gotten the ball more:noidea::noidea:

Scott La Rock
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Jerry jones paid Neil O'Donnell off.

Preacher
06-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I blame Bruce Arians.

MongoSteeler
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
There's really only one thing to blame the loss on, being on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

StainlessStill
06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Everyone is so quick to blame N.O for the loss of XXX, but what people do not realize is that even though the first pick was a bad one, the 2nd one was a mis-communication between Quarterback and receiver, and I feel it was the receivers fault.

Courtney Holliday, who was a ROOKIE at the time and only played a few snaps in the regular season, was the hot route on that play. N.O should of known the personal on the field and checked down to Holliday where he was supposed to run a different route.

O'Donnell threw the check down route, and Holliday (a rookie mind you) ran the same pattern, and that is a recipe for disaster. To this day O'Donnell blames himself when really it was Chan Gaily and Cowher's coordinators for putting Holliday on the field as the hot route. No excuse for that.

Steelerfreak58
06-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Neil

he choked

Right there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Tough to really know if it was O'donnell's fault or Hastings on that pick 6 in the super bowl.

Either way, I think if that football gets thrown over the WR's head instead of into the hands of Larry Brown..........the Steelers have 7 SB's instead of 6.

tony hipchest
06-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Everyone is so quick to blame N.O for the loss of XXX, but what people do not realize is that even though the first pick was a bad one, the 2nd one was a mis-communication between Quarterback and receiver, and I feel it was the receivers fault.

Courtney Holliday, who was a ROOKIE at the time and only played a few snaps in the regular season, was the hot route on that play. N.O should of known the personal on the field and checked down to Holliday where he was supposed to run a different route.

O'Donnell threw the check down route, and Holliday (a rookie mind you) ran the same pattern, and that is a recipe for disaster. To this day O'Donnell blames himself when really it was Chan Gaily and Cowher's coordinators for putting Holliday on the field as the hot route. No excuse for that.

y. thigpen
e. mills
c. johnson.
a. hastings
k. stewart

how the hell did holliday even make the 53 man roster, let alone be able to suit up for the sb, LET ALONE be able to set foot on the field that day? :banging:

players like breuner, pegram, morris, stewart, or any of out other wr's were taken off the field to allow him to make that f--k up.

i woulda rather had jim miller running that hot route.

with that being said, i blame bush/obama (take your pick).

Steelers & I
06-08-2009, 02:55 AM

I blame O'Donnell, always have and always will. What you're forgetting to point out is the fact that O'Donnell's accuracy, and I'm excluding the damn interceptions, was HORRIBLE the entire 1st half of the game. The Steelers receivers had no trouble getting open versus the Cowboys but O'Donnell's passes were horrendous during the 1st half. Hell, the Steelers would have scored 21 points in the 1st half alone had O'Donnelll been the slight bit accurate.

O'Donnell's SB XXX performance came as no suprise to me. I fully expected him to throw the game away after witnessing the near interception that he threw to Quentin Coryatt in the AFC Championship game. Ernie Mills last second swat of the ball saved O'Donnell's A$$ on that particular play. That was PICK 6, GAME OVER if not for Mills.

I do believe that O'Donnell purposely threw Super Bowl XXX away. I don't believe that anyone paid him off, I believe that he did it because Cowher had basically tuned out offensive coordinator, Ron Earhardt, and had turned to WR's Coach, Chan Gailey, for offensive play call advise. O'Donnell and Earhardt were pretty tight so I'm sure that Cowher's treatment of Earhardt played a role in O'Donnell's SB XXX performance. How ironic it was that both O'Donnell and Earhardt were on the Jets staff the following season. Thicker than thieves I tell you, thicker than thieves.

Galax Steeler
06-08-2009, 04:05 AM
I have to say O'donnell those passes were just plain sick.

steelreserve
06-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Personally, I blame Bush.

You can still do that, right?

BlastFurnace
06-08-2009, 06:08 AM
I blame global warming causing the humidity in the air that caused Neil to lose his grip on the ball and make two bad throws.

HometownGal
06-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Personally, I blame Bush.

You can still do that, right?

Well . . . he was the Governor of Texas at the time. :chuckle:

Seriously, I don't blame anyone. Steelers fans should be above that.

stlrtruck
06-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I blame the OC for not continuing to run the ball and control the clock.

OH and I also blame Neil O'Donnell.

T&B fan
06-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I have to say put the blame on me ... I had my one and only SB party and let in not just one but 3 cowboy fans in my house ,feed them and gave them drinks . sorry to all the fans .

BlastFurnace
06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
The funny part about this is this....this was the Dallas Cowboys last post season victory. Think about that. Since January 1996, they have not won a single playoff game.

I still hear about that SB from the Cowboy fans I live around. They still brag about this game like it was last year.

CanadianSteel
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Agree with previous poster... Neil was just horrible that game with his accuracy and his receivers were forced to make acrobatic catches most of the game.

BlastFurnace
06-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Agree with previous poster... Neil was just horrible that game with his accuracy and his receivers were forced to make acrobatic catches most of the game.

That was the ironic thing about the entire game. Neil was the team MVP that year and was known for his accuracy. That first pass was horrible. The 2nd was said to be the wrong route ran by Corey Holliday, but who knows. The final INT was a Hail Mary.

Without Neil, we wouldn't have been in that game. Unfortunately, he had a terrible game.

We have won 2 since then. I can live with that.

Dino 6 Rings
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
someone who believes in Black Helicopter Consipiracies may point out these facts.

The Steelers were the first AFC Team to cover in a SB in years. So if you bet on the Steelers, you won on the books. However if you were a Cowboy Fan or the Owner, you won the title. which is all that mattered for that guy.

Jerry Jones made his money with Oil.

Leon Hess owner of the Jets was a huge Oil man and his buddy was Jerry Jones.

Leon Hess then paid Neil to come to the Jets to "pull a muscle" and ride the pine for two years after the interceptions.

Al Davis has had an Anti-Steeler hatred since Franco ran that tipped ball into the endzone. Al Davis then pays the "MVP" Millions of dollars to Ride the Pine in Oakland.

After the first INT, Neil comes to the sidelines and there is footage of Cowher saying "what happened, did it just slip out" and Neil says "yeah, it slipped out". Then after the second INT Neil doesn't go anywhere near Bill, and Bill is looking over at him like WTF? and you can tell Bill's brain is thinking "what is going on here?".

Follow the Money.

WeegiesWarriors
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Had Ernie Mills not been injured that piece of **** Holliday would not have been on the field. I put the blame squarely on Holliday.

NOD missing receivers in the first half isn't anything new in Super Bowls. Fact is he righted the ship and got the team in a position to win the game.

I don't know how hot routes are determined, but if the Dallas D-coaches called a defense that put Holliday in a position to make a decision then a lot of credit goes there. My guess is that it all came down to luck.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
well i guess we should blame everyone but the players on our team.... that what it looks like other fans do...

BlastFurnace
06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
someone who believes in Black Helicopter Consipiracies may point out these facts.

The Steelers were the first AFC Team to cover in a SB in years. So if you bet on the Steelers, you won on the books. However if you were a Cowboy Fan or the Owner, you won the title. which is all that mattered for that guy.

Jerry Jones made his money with Oil.

Leon Hess owner of the Jets was a huge Oil man and his buddy was Jerry Jones.

Leon Hess then paid Neil to come to the Jets to "pull a muscle" and ride the pine for two years after the interceptions.

Al Davis has had an Anti-Steeler hatred since Franco ran that tipped ball into the endzone. Al Davis then pays the "MVP" Millions of dollars to Ride the Pine in Oakland.

After the first INT, Neil comes to the sidelines and there is footage of Cowher saying "what happened, did it just slip out" and Neil says "yeah, it slipped out". Then after the second INT Neil doesn't go anywhere near Bill, and Bill is looking over at him like WTF? and you can tell Bill's brain is thinking "what is going on here?".

Follow the Money.

LOL...Is this the sneak preview to an upcoming CBS 48 Hour Mystery show?

PisnNapalm
06-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Neil Freaking O'Donnell....

Psyychoward86
06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
O'Donnell, but the past is the past. leave it there :wink:

triphahn
06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Neil. How did he do the next year with the jets?

NJarhead
06-08-2009, 04:46 PM
I blame the refs for ALL Super Bowl losses. In fact, for all losses in general. I do this only because it seems to be "the norm" these days. :coffee:

:chuckle:

touchdownward
06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I blame the O-line. :chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I blame the refs for ALL Super Bowl losses. In fact, for all losses in general. I do this only because it seems to be "the norm" these days. :coffee:

:chuckle:

The fair weather ones at least.

LVSteelersfan
06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I still blame Hastings (or was it Holliday) because he dropped a first down pass one play before that which would have put us in a totally different position and we might have scored. Not totally ODonnell's fault. Sorry, but I liked Neil. He was ten times better than Kordell ever was and got us to a Super Bowl and an AFC Championship game.

BlastFurnace
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I still blame Hastings (or was it Holliday) because he dropped a first down pass one play before that which would have put us in a totally different position and we might have scored. Not totally ODonnell's fault. Sorry, but I liked Neil. He was ten times better than Kordell ever was and got us to a Super Bowl and an AFC Championship game.

It was Hastings. To his credit, Hastings had a heck of a game though.

I always like Neil as well. I think if we had him in 1997, we would have beaten Denver.

IMO, the biggest reason for our offense ineptitude from 1998 -2000 was the loss of Chan Gailey. Our offense clicked in 1995, 1996, and 1997 with him in charge. That was Neil's, T-Zak's, and Kordell's best year each under Chan.

Steelers & I
06-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Had the Steelers won that game, Hastings, without a doubt, would have been the MVP. Even in defeat, Hastings still should have been named the MVP of SB XXX.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Why does nobody blame global warming or El Nino any more?? :noidea:

Edman
06-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I try not to blame Neil O' Donnell, but it's very hard trying not to.

How can you throw two interceptions on the same side of the field to the same dude? Honestly? It just doesn't sit well and it's unfathomable. The Steelers had momentum and Neil's brainfarts ruined everything.

joeyssteelcurtain
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I will go to my grave thinking that Neil got paid off that year he was great and that one game 2 Int's on looks like to be the same play he was paid off by who i don't no but it happen

Dino 6 Rings
06-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I will go to my grave thinking that Neil got paid off that year he was great and that one game 2 Int's on looks like to be the same play he was paid off by who i don't no but it happen

I already posted about the "who" paid him off. I mean, if I was a nut that's what I would beleive.

Cheppy
06-10-2009, 05:24 PM
It's like reliving a traumatic incident. (pours a glass of jack)

StainlessStill
06-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I blame O'Donnell, always have and always will. What you're forgetting to point out is the fact that O'Donnell's accuracy, and I'm excluding the damn interceptions, was HORRIBLE the entire 1st half of the game. The Steelers receivers had no trouble getting open versus the Cowboys but O'Donnell's passes were horrendous during the 1st half. Hell, the Steelers would have scored 21 points in the 1st half alone had O'Donnelll been the slight bit accurate.

O'Donnell's SB XXX performance came as no suprise to me. I fully expected him to throw the game away after witnessing the near interception that he threw to Quentin Coryatt in the AFC Championship game. Ernie Mills last second swat of the ball saved O'Donnell's A$$ on that particular play. That was PICK 6, GAME OVER if not for Mills.

I do believe that O'Donnell purposely threw Super Bowl XXX away. I don't believe that anyone paid him off, I believe that he did it because Cowher had basically tuned out offensive coordinator, Ron Earhardt, and had turned to WR's Coach, Chan Gailey, for offensive play call advise. O'Donnell and Earhardt were pretty tight so I'm sure that Cowher's treatment of Earhardt played a role in O'Donnell's SB XXX performance. How ironic it was that both O'Donnell and Earhardt were on the Jets staff the following season. Thicker than thieves I tell you, thicker than thieves.

Your whole argument of O'Donnell not being accurate during the course of the game brings my decision even further to blame Cowher. Dallas couldn't stop Morris or Pegram all game, esp at that given moment/drive. We were REALLY laying the hatchet, and our running game was ticking. Score 20-17 and we were putting together a superb drive. The rest is history.

Why didn't Cowher stick to what was working? Pound them into the dirt, control the clock to keep Aikman and company off the field, and hit them where it hurts the most with ANY kind of points. No we put it in the hands of O'Donnell, and give him a formation that includes a rookie WR. Something doesn't add up right.

Even though O'Donnell almost threw the pick in the AFCC Game, he did make the biggest pass of game on 3rd and 10 where he hit Ernie Mills on a beautiful pass along the sidelines. That pass and REMARKABLE CATCH (MY FAV OF ALL TIME!) sealed the ticket to the Superbowl. He also hit Hasting's on a 4th down play. (WILLIE WILLIAMS SHOE STRING TACKLE WAS THE MIRACLE PLAY TO PUT US IN THAT SITUATION TO WIN.)

Another scenario where Cowher choked, and in similar situation, was '97 against Denver. Denver couldn't stop THE BUS, who was in his prime, all game long. We drove deep into Denver territory, (once before half WITH A LEAD).. instead of pounding them with Jerome, we opt to pass IN THE ENDZONE, and risk a pick. The one before half KILLED US. Instead of extending the lead, we are all of a sudden down to an Elway hungry team. That's exactly what happened. Coaching lost that trip to yet another SB birth.

Cowher time, and time again CHOKED in big time games, and even though he was a huge face for our football team, he never put our players in the right situation at the most important times.

AllD
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Cowher never threw an interception. His coaching was partly to blame, but N.O. choked big time. He never recovered and was flushed out of the NFL shortly thereafter like a bad kicker who lost it.

StainlessStill
06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Cowher never threw an interception. His coaching was partly to blame, but N.O. choked big time. He never recovered and was flushed out of the NFL shortly thereafter like a bad kicker who lost it.

Agreed. Cowher didn't throw the interception. Coaches coach, players play. Both sides have a importance of responsibility.

I just feel it's the coaches job to put his players in the right security of a situation since that's what football is all about, that given play/situation. Tomlin is big on "situational football." Cowher was pretty bad at this at crucial times in big games. But on the other hand, it's the player that needs to see what their seeing and respond to it. Even though O'Donnell DID make a slight adjustment, it was his receiver who ran the wrong route. It's a double edged sword if you ask me.

I always liked this debate because we will never get down to the bottom on that heart ache and WHYYYYYYYYY the f _ck it had to happen that way. I would of rather lost 34-3 in a total blow out rather than lose to them when we were knocking on the door and were good enough to beat the assholes. That's one we'll never get back.

I would love another Steelers/Cowboys rematch to settle XXX once and for all.

BlastFurnace
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Even though O'Donnell almost threw the pick in the AFCC Game, he did make the biggest pass of game on 3rd and 10 where he hit Ernie Mills on a beautiful pass along the sidelines. That pass and REMARKABLE CATCH (MY FAV OF ALL TIME!) sealed the ticket to the Superbowl. He also hit Hasting's on a 4th down play. (WILLIE WILLIAMS SHOE STRING TACKLE WAS THE MIRACLE PLAY TO PUT US IN THAT SITUATION TO WIN.)

The funny thing about that Mills catch is that it wouldn't be a catch in today's NFL.

StainlessStill
06-11-2009, 03:19 AM
The funny thing about that Mills catch is that it wouldn't be a catch in today's NFL.

True. He didn't maintain control as he hit the ground. Kordell's touchdown earlier in the game would of been overturned too because he stepped out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball when he came back in.

Steelers & I
06-11-2009, 06:06 AM
Your whole argument of O'Donnell not being accurate during the course of the game brings my decision even further to blame Cowher. Dallas couldn't stop Morris or Pegram all game, esp at that given moment/drive. We were REALLY laying the hatchet, and our running game was ticking. Score 20-17 and we were putting together a superb drive. The rest is history.

Why didn't Cowher stick to what was working? Pound them into the dirt, control the clock to keep Aikman and company off the field, and hit them where it hurts the most with ANY kind of points. No we put it in the hands of O'Donnell, and give him a formation that includes a rookie WR. Something doesn't add up right.

Another scenario where Cowher choked, and in similar situation, was '97 against Denver. Denver couldn't stop THE BUS, who was in his prime, all game long. We drove deep into Denver territory, (once before half WITH A LEAD).. instead of pounding them with Jerome, we opt to pass IN THE ENDZONE, and risk a pick. The one before half KILLED US. Instead of extending the lead, we are all of a sudden down to an Elway hungry team. That's exactly what happened. Coaching lost that trip to yet another SB birth.

Cowher time, and time again CHOKED in big time games, and even though he was a huge face for our football team, he never put our players in the right situation at the most important times.

Oh believe me Stainless, I totally agree with your Cowher/coaching staff assessments. In many situations, I always felt that Cowher was ultra -conservative in his approach, such as the AFC Championship game versus the Patriots in 2001. I mean the Pats were stuffing Bettis' A$$ but Cowher continued in his attempts to run the ball. I realize that the Steelers didn't have much under center but damn, they really should have passed more often early in the game.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on O'Donnell,:drink:. In my opinion O'Donnell truly choked whenever he was pressured. I distinctly remember Phil Simms' comment after O'Donnell's 2nd interception to Larry Brown in SB XXX. "Neil O'Donnell panicked, he thought that he was going to get hit, he threw the ball too soon"

steel9guy
06-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Neil O'Donnel-Let's throw it too a Cowboy with no STeeler within 10 yards.

joeyssteelcurtain
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Some of you say it was Cowher to blame what about the onside kick to start the 2nd half that set the tone for the rest of the game and i believe we scored on that drive

steelballs
06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
There's really only one thing to blame the loss on, being on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

BINGO!!! We have a winner.

I've grown weary over the years of others trying to give 1 or 2 play excuses for losses, the Steelers have always taken responsibility for their losses and that's how it should be.

The Pats (with their alledged cheating) has still never been offered by ownership and most of the team as an excuse for the tough losses we endured against them. Porter ranted about it last year as a Fish, but it's still not an excuse or reason for the losses. As Mongo stated previously, the loss was due to not scoring as many points as the opponent...period.

mmalone
06-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Who was the quarterback the next year???
So who got the blame???

mmalone
06-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Someone blamed arians. i'm in on that :-)..

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Ok, here is how it went. Halftime 13-7.

We get the ball, exchange punts, then we have the ball again and get to Mid Field. Neils FIRST INT happens. Dallas Scores a touchdown on their drive and go up 20-7.

4th qrt

We get the ball, crap out on downs, Dallas gets the ball, we force the punt.

We get the ball, we get a Field goal. 20-10.ONSIDE KICK NOW. in the 4th quarter. We Drive the Field Bam gets us a TD. 20-17 and all the momentum.

We kick off, force a PUNT. We have the ball back, with Momentum with over 4 minutes left in the game.

Ron Erhardt, known as a running Coach, approaches Cowher and Cowher says, "Do what got us here" Which was apparently, allowing Neil to Throw the ball a Ton. Even though Bam was Destroying the Cowboys Defense, they decided, the coaches, to Throw the ball with 4 minutes left.

1st down Incomplete/Drop.

2nd down, Interception. Game Over.

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 04:15 PM
When someone reaches into your chest and RIPS your heart out and shows it to you before stepping on it and laughing in your face...you remember every detail...

and I'm here to tell you...NEIL FCKD UP THAT GAME!!!