PDA

View Full Version : Vince Wilfork

SaskSteeler
06-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Do you guys think that the steelers will/should make an attempt to sign him if he reaches free agency after this season? Even though big snack is one of my fav steelers i still think that wilfork would be an upgrade and he has already said that he isnt looking for the biggest contract which means that the steelers might have a chance.

NJarhead
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
He's looking for money. Not huge money, but big money. Plus, I don't like his character.

Dino 6 Rings
06-08-2009, 04:47 PM
We wouldn't dump Hampton for Wilfork, we'd lose Hampton for a Rookie or 2nd year guy to take over. That's just my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I think they would throw the money at Hampton instead of Wilfork...........and hope they do.

fansince'76
06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
How is he an upgrade over Big Snack? The only NT in the league I might consider to be an upgrade over Hampton would be Jamal Williams. Just because he gets constantly fellated by the media due to being a member of the bestest, most wonderfulest franchise ever while about the only time someone mentions Hampton is to crack a fat joke doesn't necessarily mean he's an upgrade.

HometownGal
06-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Considering that big lummox tried to gouge Brandon Jacobs' eye out a few seasons back on his way to 4 fines that season - -

HELL NO.

BlastFurnace
06-08-2009, 05:47 PM
It won't happen. He's going to be a high profile FA. The Steelers don't go after guys like that. Besides, high profile FA's that sign big money rarely pan out.

We will draft Snack's replacement...which has been a tried and true measure for the Steelers.

NJarhead
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Considering that big lummox tried to gouge Brandon Jacobs' eye out a few seasons back on his way to 4 fines that season - -

HELL NO.

When I mentioned character, that is the precise incident that came to mind.

SunshineMan21
06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
When I mentioned character, that is the precise incident that came to mind.

Agreed. I want no part of him.

The Duke
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
How is he an upgrade over Big Snack? The only NT in the league I might consider to be an upgrade over Hampton would be Jamal Williams. Just because he gets constantly fellated by the media due to being a member of the bestest, most wonderfulest franchise ever while about the only time someone mentions Hampton is to crack a fat joke doesn't necessarily mean he's an upgrade.

Thank You!!

I'm sick of the love affair the media has with this guy. I've never seen anything that special in him, at least not as a 3-4 NT. How the pats run D doing again? yeah, not that good

he's good, top ten NT in the league definitely, but the best? not even close

I still think Hampton won't be back next year, but I know for sure wilfork won't come here. Just draft a replacement in the next 2 years

SteelCityMan786
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I'll leave him for one of the other 31 to pick up.

NJarhead
06-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Since we're on the subject of Hamptons replacement... When is Haloti Ngata's (sp?) contract up? I like that guy! His strength reminds me of Kimo, but he's a bit more of a beast.

Preacher
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I think this thread shows the "problem" with the Fireblitz d-line.

People don't understand that Big Snacks MAIN JOB is to NOT BE MOVED... and to completely plug up two gaps. By doing so, he forces the RB to either side, where he can be met by our DT and LB's who are now mismatched with the O line.

On pass plays, he takes up the center and a guard, allowing the LB to slip through where the guard was supposed to be.

In all honesty, the best games a Fire Blitz NG can have, is a game where his name is never called.

devilsdancefloor
06-08-2009, 07:53 PM

People don't understand that Big Snacks MAIN JOB is to NOT BE MOVED... and to completely plug up two gaps. By doing so, he forces the RB to either side, where he can be met by our DT and LB's who are now mismatched with the O line.

On pass plays, he takes up the center and a guard, allowing the LB to slip through where the guard was supposed to be.

In all honesty, the best games a Fire Blitz NG can have, is a game where his name is never called.

AMEN!

The Duke
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM

Exactly, and wilfork is none of that. He still seems more of 4-3 DT to me, strong but not immovable. Plus he's asked to rush the passer more

I'd rather have chris hoke

pancake
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm hoping Big Snack gives us the home town discount.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Can somebody please educate me on what a "fire blitz NG" is in comparison to a regular "NG". ?????

JackHammer
06-09-2009, 12:09 AM

I'd take Haloti Ngata over Williams any day of the week.

Preacher
06-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Can somebody please educate me on what a "fire blitz NG" is in comparison to a regular "NG". ?????

A Nose guard playing in a fire blitz scheme... His job is different.

MasterOfPuppets
06-09-2009, 01:04 AM
2 names to watch for this year / next draft ......

1 terrence cody - alabama
2 boo robinson - wake forrest :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
06-09-2009, 03:40 AM
I would have to say no to Wilfork. I don't like him plus his character isues and the type of player he is.

steelreserve
06-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Not a chance. If he does make it to free agency -- a big if -- he'll be one of the blockbuster deals that happens in the first few days. In other words, he's well out of our price range if we want to keep the rest of the team mostly intact.

Seriously, keeping this team intact as-is, is the best thing we could possibly do right now. Barring anything weird, I'd be very surprised if we don't win at least one more Super Bowl with basically this same lineup.

We're much better off letting Hampton carry us as far as he can than we are by gambling on a replacement in the immediate short term. Even if Hampton is at 80% of his current skill level in two years, he's still well above average. If we draft well, we can prolong our window of opportunity to maybe the next 5-6 years; with luck, maybe we could win two or three championships.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
A Nose guard playing in a fire blitz scheme... His job is different.

How so, could you please elaborate??

My knowledge of a regular nose guard is a guy that is designed to be a 2-gap player that will attempt to occupy 2 defenders and allow the ILB's to flow to the play and allow them to make tackles. If the NG can get upfield to disrupt run plays, great!! and they normally come out on passing downs for a quicker d-lineman.

A NG playing in a "fire blitz(or just call it a zone blitz) scheme", to me seems to have the same responsibilities. A 2-gap guy, occupy 2 blockers, disrupt the run, come out on passing downs. The only difference I see is that very seldom, that NG might back out into an inside hook/curl zone, as part of a zone blitz.

I see the jobs of Casey Hampton, Kelly Gregg, Vince Wilfork, Jamaal Williams as all pretty much the same. The only thing I can say is that I have seen Hamp drop in coverage, but none of the others have because their teams dont zone blitz much.