PDA

View Full Version : important stats on cowher. get off his back

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 08:04 PM
on the verge of cowhers 6th afc chamionship game appearance during his tenure:

no current coach has been with their team longer than that of the steelers.

no team has rushed for more yards than the steelers.

no team has posted a better regular season winning percentage than the steelers.

no team has been to the championship game and had more opportunities to go to the superbowl than the steelers.

this is no coincidence. the one constant has been the relationship between the rooneys and bill cowher. "just win baby" sounds good on paper but it does not equate to super bowl trophies.

in all actuallity cowher is seperated from greatness by about 8 turnovers that he had no part of committing.

as we go into this weekends game just remember cowher has won FIVE times in this exact situation, to get us into the afc championship game. i like our chances against the colts, based on coaching alone.

Prosdo
01-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Winning a superbowl is what seperates cowher from the next level. We need to get that championship soon. I mean so close so many times and it slips away.

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Dont take this as smack - I think most people now my position know my position on Cowher anyway.

If Cowher has been 'seperated from greatness by 8 turnovers he had no part of commiting' ...how can he take credit for the turnovers his own team creates during the regular season?

It just seems like cherry picking to me - the regular season wins are a sign of greatness - but the Championship game losses are written off as 'out of his control'.

The post-season is notorious for weeding out players who are not of the highest quality who appear impressive in the regular season - see Eli Manning this year Ben R last year - isnt this just the coaching equivalent?

BTW - I am am referring specifically to last years Ben - not this years.

NM

3 to be 4
01-12-2006, 08:27 PM
uh-oh....NOW you went and did it.

Infamix
01-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Nice stats, and I dont understand people's basis of hating on Cowher...the AFCC losses are not his fault. Also, alot of teams don't get to make it as far as the championship game (see Clowns), and not many teams have even won a Superbowl. Our time will come soon, if not now!

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 08:36 PM
The post-season is notorious for weeding out players who are not of the highest quality who appear impressive in the regular season - see Eli Manning this year Ben R last year - isnt this just the coaching equivalent?

BTW - I am am referring specifically to last years Ben - not this years.

NM if you believe that trent dilfer is greater than dan marino and barry switzer is better than bill cowher, well yeah, i guess it is.

(seems like you have a high expectation of 1st or 2nd year qb's in their 1st playoffs)
bad case of tom bradyitis? keep in mind brady needed the tuck rule and 2 miracle field goals just to advance to a afc champ game. one he didnt even have to win or probably wouldnt have won if he had played more than a quarter.

sometimes the hardest part of winning a superbowl is winning the championship game 1st.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Winning a superbowl is what seperates cowher from the next level. We need to get that championship soon. I mean so close so many times and it slips away.

That sums it up right there... so close yet so far away.. Its time for 1 for the Thumb and bring that trophy back to Pittsburgh !

3 to be 4
01-12-2006, 08:43 PM
if you believe that trent dilfer is greater than dan marino and barry switzer is better than bill cowher, well yeah, i guess it is.

(seems like you have a high expectation of 1st or 2nd year qb's in their 1st playoffs)
bad case of tom bradyitis? keep in mind brady needed the tuck rule and 2 miracle field goals just to advance to a afc champ game. one he didnt even have to win or probably wouldnt have won if he had played more than a quarter.

i love that b.s. that Bledsoe was this great hero that did what Brady could not. At the time
the Steelers rolled over Brady's ankle for the 2nd time to knock him out, the Patriots were leading 7-3 and Brady had just completed a beautiful pass to Brown to get the Patriots into Steeler territory. Bledsoe made 5 or 6 good throws in that game but he also did his usual throw the ball over his head crap and tried to throw a pass to a LB in the 4th. Bradys stats were better than Bledsoes in that game. But fine, we'll throw the Bledsoe people a bone, he did a great job for a backup and we couldnt have won without that contribution. But pu-leeeze, had Brady's ankle not been accidently rolled over for a 2nd time (did I say that again?! didnt mean to imply anything..) the Patriots would won that game by far more.

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 08:51 PM
i love that b.s. that Bledsoe was this great hero that did what Brady could not. At the time
the Steelers rolled over Brady's ankle for the 2nd time to knock him out, the Patriots were leading 7-3 and Brady had just completed a beautiful pass to Brown to get the Patriots into Steeler territory. Bledsoe made 5 or 6 good throws in that game but he also did his usual throw the ball over his head crap and tried to throw a pass to a LB in the 4th. Bradys stats were better than Bledsoes in that game. But fine, we'll throw the Bledsoe people a bone, he did a great job for a backup and we couldnt have won without that contribution. But pu-leeeze, had Brady's ankle not been accidently rolled over for a 2nd time (did I say that again?! didnt mean to imply anything..) the Patriots would won that game by far more.

brady lacked the big game experience that bledsoe brought to the table. as we saw last weekend that counts for something where 1st time play off qb's are concerned. and bradys experience vs. oakland can be equated to ben vs. the jets last year. brady wouldve went on to do exactly what roethlisberger did last year vs. the pats. especially against the #1 defense in the league. hell, it took special teams and kordell turnovers just to bail bledsoe and their offense out. brady went into the superbowl with no pressure. ben wouldve done just as good against the eagles last year as brady did against the rams. no pressure = good.

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 09:01 PM
if you believe that trent dilfer is greater than dan marino and barry switzer is better than bill cowher, well yeah, i guess it is.

sometimes the hardest part of winning a superbowl is winning the championship game 1st.

Think of the QB's I mentioned purely as an anecdote on how the intesity of playof football is much, much higher than regular season games comparison - not literal equivalents.

What I am saying is - why is Cowher not to blame for turnovers given up by the Steelers in Championship games - yet somehow he is close to greatness because of what happens in regular season games.

I dont see how you can attribute good Steeler results to Cowher - and bad ones to his team.

Surely a team that turns the ball over in the post-season must be lacking some kind of coaching, be it physical or mental - or else why dont they do it during the regular season?

Also Cowher has had many players in his rosters during his reign - are all these players somehow allergic to championship football - or is there a more obvious common factor?

NM

3 to be 4
01-12-2006, 09:02 PM
brady lacked the big game experience that bledsoe brought to the table. as we saw last weekend that counts for something where 1st time play off qb's are concerned. and bradys experience vs. oakland can be equated to ben vs. the jets last year. brady wouldve went on to do exactly what roethlisberger did last year vs. the pats. especially against the #1 defense in the league. hell, it took special teams and kordell turnovers just to bail bledsoe and their offense out. brady went into the superbowl with no pressure. ben wouldve done just as good against the eagles last year as brady did against the rams. no pressure = good.

????
first of all, Ben SUCKED vs the Jets last year while Brady passed for 300 yards vs the Raiders in the snow (all but 14 yards of it before the tuck play before you even say it)

and your point about special teams and Kordell's mistakes bailing out Bledsoe and the offense. EXACTLY. Bledsoe was hardy doing anything. Brady was moving the ball against the Steelers in the first half. Bledsoe finished one drive.

And why exactly is there no pressure in playing in a Super Bowl? Especially when its VITAL to any chance of winning that your QB makes ZERO mistakes?
yeah, im sure Ben would have pulled the team onto his back in the lat minute with no timeouts left and the defense totally gassed ( making it a must the game not go to OT, had it gone to OT, the Patriots defense would never have stopped the RAms, Brady HAD to engineer that drive for survival, and he did in a championship Game)
not just anybody can do that. Unitas,Starr, Montana,Elway..Kelly nearly pulled it off. You cant just assume your boy has what it takes to do that.

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 09:05 PM
patfans sure seem to have a problem with steelerfans singing the accolades of cowher on a steelers board. is there an underlining inferiority complex? they seem to hate the fact that some fans may actually appreciate a coach who hasnt won 3 sb's

woe is me! i wish i were a jets fan. what an honor it would be to be walked out on by parcels and belichick. thats so much better than being coached by cowher. after all, atleast they were super bowl winning coaches.

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Im not sure how Brady became more experienced by sitting on the sidelines watching Bledsoe throw.

Some players are just natural winners - we are lucky enough to have one in Brady.

I dont like to make comparisons between Brady and any other Qb becasue its not really fair on the other QB - Ben last year for example - he had a great year for a rook...but then had to put up with crazy comparisons with a caliber of player who only comes along once in a generation.

As you know I prefer to deal with what has actually happened - not what people think may have happened if certain circumstances prevailed.

NM

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 09:08 PM
What I am saying is - why is Cowher not to blame for turnovers given up by the Steelers in Championship games - yet somehow he is close to greatness because of what happens in regular season games.

NM this is why:

no team has posted a better regular season winning percentage than the steelers.

no team has been to the championship game and had more opportunities to go to the superbowl than the steelers. did he throw the picks? did he even call the plays where the picks were thrown?

Man_Of_Steel
01-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Cowher has benefited from a very weak division. Then look what happens when he gets into the playoffs. He chokes against coaches with better game plans....

I do hope he gets a ring this year though. I personally don't mind Cowher as HC.

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 09:11 PM
patfans sure seem to have a problem with steelerfans singing the accolades of cowher on a steelers board. is there an underlining inferiority complex? they seem to hate the fact that some fans may actually appreciate a coach who hasnt won 3 sb's

woe is me! i wish i were a jets fan. what an honor it would be to be walked out on by parcels and belichick. thats so much better than being coached by cowher. after all, atleast they were super bowl winning coaches.

Hey Tony.

I am sure you are aware that I hate posting the same stuff over and over again - but it seems to me there is a new 'respect Cowher' thread on this board every day.

No-one is trying to say Cowher isnt a good coach - he just isnt a great one...at the minute.

He is a young coach despite all his experience and the stability and success of the Steelers franchise (that he is greatly responsible for) will probably ensure he gets plenty more shots to get his teams name on the Lombardi.

But the fact is he hasnt won the big one yet - when he dos we can think about calling him great.

NM

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 09:13 PM
this is why:

no team has been to the championship game and had more opportunities to go to the superbowl than the steelers. did he throw the picks? did he even call the plays where the picks were thrown?

That doesnt really answer my question though Tony.

All those regular season stats are impressive - but why is Cowher responsible for them but not the bad ones in the Championship games.

No-one has any problem with Cowher being a fantastic regular season coach - but his postseason effrots dont reflect a similar level of success.

NM

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
As you know I prefer to deal with what has actually happened - not what people think may have happened if certain circumstances prevailed.

NM

:sofunny: then dont deal with it. im not forcing you.

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 09:24 PM
????
first of all, Ben SUCKED vs the Jets last year while Brady passed for 300 yards vs the Raiders in the snow (all but 14 yards of it before the tuck play before you even say it)

Unitas,Starr, Montana,Elway..Kelly nearly pulled it off. You cant just assume your boy has what it takes to do that.

1)ben won did he not? and by how many points? the same as brady with his marvelous stats and zero running game (kinda like this year).

2)i just did, didnt i? is there a problem with that??????

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey Tony.

I am sure you are aware that I hate posting the same stuff over and over again - but it seems to me there is a new 'respect Cowher' thread on this board every day.

No-one is trying to say Cowher isnt a good coach - he just isnt a great one...at the minute.

He is a young coach despite all his experience and the stability and success of the Steelers franchise (that he is greatly responsible for) will probably ensure he gets plenty more shots to get his teams name on the Lombardi.

NM

well then, if that is the case, then get off his back. after all, that is the topic of this thread.:cool: this wasnt the "bill cowher is the greatest coach of all time" thread.

belichick has alredy got the patent on that statement though right? watch out for that "3 peat" stuff or pat riley may sue you guys.:sofunny:

wow, a "respect cowher thread" on a steelers board. go figure. i bet if i looked, id find a respect dungy thread on a colts board. how could these fans post such things about their coaches? sorry to offend patfans.

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 09:48 PM
well then, if that is the case, then get off his back. after all, that is the topic of this thread.:cool: this wasnt the "bill cowher is the greatest coach of all time" thread.

belichick has alredy got the patent on that statement though right? watch out for that "3 peat" stuff or pat riley may sue you guys.:sofunny:

wow, a "respect cowher thread" on a steelers board. go figure. i bet if i looked, id find a respect dungy thread on a colts board. how could these fans post such things about their coaches? sorry to offend patfans.

The whole fact that you have to even post this stuff tells you all you need to know about the Steeler fanbases opinion on Cowher.

I mistakenly thought you wanted to talk about the reasons why Cowher is/isnt a great coach. :rolleyes:

When I seen the title of the thread I thought maybe you had dug up some archive footage of Cowhers 'missing games' - you know....the many post season victories that will chnage everybodys opinion of him.

I have to say this "sorry to offend pat fans' schtick is getting very old....why on earth would I be offended by discussion about a coach of a rival franchise who struggles to translate regular season dominance into postseason success? :dang:

At least we cleared up the reason why Brady has such a good record in the playoffs though - so it wasnt a total waste of time (who would have thought Drew Bledsoe was the key) :blurp:

NM

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
The whole fact that you have to even post this stuff tells you all you need to know about the Steeler fanbases opinion on Cowher.

I mistakenly thought you wanted to talk about the reasons why Cowher is/isnt a great coach. :rolleyes:

When I seen the title of the thread I thought maybe you had dug up some archive footage of Cowhers 'missing games' - you know....the many post season victories that will chnage everybodys opinion of him.

I have to say this "sorry to offend pat fans' schtick is getting very old....why on earth would I be offended by discussion about a coach of a rival franchise who struggles to translate regular season dominance into postseason success? :dang:

At least we cleared up the reason why Brady has such a good record in the playoffs though - so it wasnt a total waste of time (who would have thought Drew Bledsoe was the key) :blurp:

NM "bait, line, and sinker" (im sure fishermom understands this cliche/phrase/analogy)

this thread is really piggy backing off of bob smizks (sp?) article in the post gazette. believe it or not there have been, and will be many steelerfans who call for cowhers head if he doesnt win the superbowl this year.

youre lucky. no one will call for belichicks head if he loses this weekend. then again he has earned a lifetime exemption regardless of what he does this year.

as has brian billick

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I wish what you said were true Tony.

NFL fans are very fickle, and Pats fans are no different, there were plenty of threads on forums about BB making the wrong decision when he promoted co-ords in house after the Crennel and Weis left.

I have to admit to ranting (I know thats hard to believe) on a couple of these about the total lack of fan loyalty - then again it was probably just band wagonners who expect 14-2 and a SB every year.

NM

augustashark
01-12-2006, 10:09 PM

NM

For some damn reason most of these threads turn into pats talk, If you want to talk about the pats this week either go to the denver board or ne board!!!!!!!!!!

The reason that BC is a great coach is simple. 10 out of 14 yrs in the playoffs 74%, show me another current coach with a better % with at least 10yrs in the league. Not many I'm sure!

Other reasons are:

Go back to 1992 when BC came in, now I want you to find out how many free agents he has lost since then! I'm not sure but I would guess that Pittsburgh has lost more or close to the most of any other team!

Again back to 1992, find me a family (coaching tree) that shows how many coaches BC has lost over those 14 years. Again I'm not sure but either more have left or close to the most of any other team! Hell there were four head coaches just this year!

You win as much as he has for 14yrs, Hell are you kidding me!

I guess though, great coaches are Gruden, Switzer, Holmgren, Flores and bellick!!!

and they are better than Reeves, Grant and levy!!!

This is a Joke! BC is a great coach!

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 10:15 PM
I wish what you said were true Tony.

NFL fans are very fickle, and Pats fans are no different, there were plenty of threads on forums about BB making the wrong decision when he promoted co-ords in house after the Crennel and Weis left.

I have to admit to ranting (I know thats hard to believe) on a couple of these about the total lack of fan loyalty - then again it was probably just band wagonners who expect 14-2 and a SB every year.

NM

your wish has been granted cause what i said is true. mangini has been groomed for the situation all along and brady and belichick were promoted from within to be the offensive co ordinators. i guess that just shows what the majority of the bandwaggon fans on message boards really know about football (none of the regular patfan posters on this board included-the ones here seem to be rather knowlegeable.) extremely biassed? yes, but knowlagable nevertheless.

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 10:32 PM
For some damn reason most of these threads turn into pats talk, If you want to talk about the pats this week either go to the denver board or ne board!!!!!!!!!!

The reason that BC is a great coach is simple. 10 out of 14 yrs in the playoffs 74%, show me another current coach with a better % with at least 10yrs in the league. Not many I'm sure!

Other reasons are:

Go back to 1992 when BC came in, now I want you to find out how many free agents he has lost since then! I'm not sure but I would guess that Pittsburgh has lost more or close to the most of any other team!

Again back to 1992, find me a family (coaching tree) that shows how many coaches BC has lost over those 14 years. Again I'm not sure but either more have left or close to the most of any other team! Hell there were four head coaches just this year!

You win as much as he has for 14yrs, Hell are you kidding me!

I guess though, great coaches are Gruden, Switzer, Holmgren, Flores and bellick!!!

and they are better than Reeves, Grant and levy!!!

This is a Joke! BC is a great coach!

Thanks for the offer of alternative accomadation but if its all the same ill stay right here.

Seems like you're 'not very sure' about 90% of your post - why dont you go back to 1992 and research it some more?

NM

augustashark
01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the offer of alternative accomadation but if its all the same ill stay right here.

Seems like you're 'not very sure' about 90% of your post - why dont you go back to 1992 and research it some more?

NM

As I Thought, you are not smart enough to come back with any real substance.

You are the one on this thread that keeps saying that BC is not a great coach.

I just gave you the reasons why he is...

Good going LITP. Your little insults gave nothing to this topic! Please move on to a topic you know alittle more about!

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
As I Thought, you are not smart enough to come back with any real substance.

You are the one on this thread that keeps saying that BC is not a great coach.

I just gave you the reasons why he is...

Good going LITP. Your little insults gave nothing to this topic! Please move on to a topic you know alittle more about!

I said my bit earlier Augusta in terms of why i dont regard Cowher to be one of the greats - that tree of coaches bit is a nice anecdote and the fact he has stayed in the same for job for so long is an excellent achievement.

But I really didnt see anything there to convince me that he is a 'great' coach.

For the record, Billick, Gruden and Holmgren dont make it as great coaches either in my eyes.

You need a combination of numerous winning seasons mixed with multiple SB victories before you qualify for greatness.

But then this is just opinion - if you think Cowher is great because he has a great regular season record then you are welcome to.

NM

augustashark
01-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Yea, but your bit is just that your bit. Proves nothing as far as who is great coaches and who are not.

So I ask you is Marv Levy or Bud Grant great coaches?

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I said my bit earlier Augusta in terms of why i dont regard Cowher to be one of the greats - that tree of coaches bit is a nice anecdote and the fact he has stayed in the same for job for so long is an excellent achievement.

But I really didnt see anything there to convince me that he is a 'great' coach.

For the record, Billick, Gruden and Holmgren dont make it as great coaches either in my eyes.

You need a combination of numerous winning seasons mixed with multiple SB victories before you qualify for greatness.

But then this is just opinion - if you think Cowher is great because he has a great regular season record then you are welcome to.

NM
what your failing to realize is this isnt the "bill cowher is great" thread. if you go back and read the actual 1st thread in this post you will see that it is pointing out that cowher has won 5 gamess in this similar situations as this week. it is the opportunity to advance to the AFCC GAME and the steelers are huge underdogs. can us steelerfans not point out the brightside of a dooming situation without slighting /offending patfans in their grandeur?

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Yea, but your bit is just that your bit. Proves nothing as far as who is great coaches and who are not.

So I ask you is Marv Levy or Bud Grant great coaches?

I dont think there is actually any 'proof' to be had - its all just subjective opinion.

Neither of those coaches won multiple SB's - although a large portion of Bud Grants career may have been prior to the Superbowl Era - so he may well be exempt.

Marv Levy was not a great coach - its definitely an acheivement to reach 4SB's but to win none of them is just criminal - sometimes you have to look past Scott Norwood and accept there was a deeper problem.

NM

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
what your failing to realize is this isnt the "bill cowher is great" thread. if you go back and read the actual 1st thread in this post you will see that it is pointing out that cowher has won 5 gamess in this similar situations as this week. it is the opportunity to advance to the AFCC GAME and the steelers are huge underdogs. can us steelerfans not point out the brightside of a dooming situation without slighting /offending patfans in their grandeur?

My apologies Tony.

You did indeed write that Cowher is still 'seperated from greatness' - all this talk of Brady and BB got me a little confused (again)

On the subject of the Colts /Steeler match-up - I think 9.5 may turn out to be way too much - im hoping the Steelers bring the A-Game out and keep it out for 60mins - it would be disappointing to feel that they had left some potential behind in the locker-room.

NM

augustashark
01-12-2006, 11:02 PM
LITP, you made my point! All the people who have played or coached in the NFL would say that Bud Grant and Marv Levy are both great coaches. There both HOF"S Thats greatness to me. Would'nt you think.

By the way ol great football mind, Bud Grant took the Vikes to four SB's but did not win any! How the hell can he get into the HOF........Its called being great!

Now I see it's Midnight so it's way past your bedtime. Put on your retainer and have a good sleep. By the way whats your teddy bear's name.......Oh forget it I don't need to know that!

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 11:07 PM
My apologies Tony.

You did indeed write that Cowher is still 'seperated from greatness' - all this talk of Brady and BB got me a little confused (again)

NM

funny how patfans are usually the ones who instigate this talk but,

thank you. lets keep our "eyes on the prize" , and everyone just get off cowhers back. i know now is the season for hating and all, but atleast he hasnt walked out on the steelers like some other "great" coaches i know of that have walked out on their teams. for that, as a true footballfan, i am greatful

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
LITP, you made my point! All the people who have played or coached in the NFL would say that Bud Grant and Marv Levy are both great coaches. There both HOF"S Thats greatness to me. Would'nt you think.

By the way ol great football mind, Bud Grant took the Vikes to four SB's but did not win any! How the hell can he get into the HOF........Its called being great!

Now I see it's Midnight so it's way past your bedtime. Put on your retainer and have a good sleep. By the way whats your teddy bear's name.......Oh forget it I don't need to know that!

I already said its subjective - I dont think that being in the HOF is a sign of definite greatness - isnt it just a sign of 'fame'?

I didnt put Bud Grant in because he didnt win a single SB let alone multiple titles - but I believe he won the equivalent before the SB era - which makes him exempt from my rules.

My teddy is called 'Bruschi' - im a little worried - he still had a slight limp earlier while we were having a dolly's tea-party - I think ill leave him off the injury list for the weekend.

NM

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
My teddy is called 'Bruschi' - im a little worried - he still had a slight limp earlier while we were having a dolly's tea-party - I think ill leave him off the injury list for the weekend.

NM

rotflmao!:sofunny:

again.....this is the bill cowher is great thread......oh wait, maybe not....

its the "come on and whip the colts ass, we know you can do it, coach" thread.

anyways bruschi can infiltrate every other aspect of our lives, lets just keep HIM out of this HONORABLE thread. lol

drizze99
01-12-2006, 11:19 PM
on the verge of cowhers 6th afc chamionship game appearance during his tenure:

no current coach has been with their team longer than that of the steelers. Who Cares?

no team has rushed for more yards than the steelers. Again, Who Cares?

no team has posted a better regular season winning percentage than the steelers. The regular season doesn't mean sh*t. It's the postseason that counts!

no team has been to the championship game and had more opportunities to go to the superbowl than the steelers. Yeah and we're 1-4 baby... at home!

this is no coincidence. the one constant has been the relationship between the rooneys and bill cowher. "just win baby" sounds good on paper but it does not equate to super bowl trophies.

in all actuallity cowher is seperated from greatness by about 8 turnovers that he had no part of committing.

as we go into this weekends game just remember cowher has won FIVE times in this exact situation, to get us into the afc championship game. i like our chances against the colts, based on coaching alone.

It's been quite a while since I have been a "Cowher rah-rah guy." I jumped off that bandwagon in 2001 after the AFCCG loss to the Pats. Sure, Cowher is a regular season warrior but come playoff time, his ass tightens up and forgets his stones at home. His current post-season record is 9-9 (including last weeks win). That's it... .500 record. In 5 AFCCG's he is 1-4... pathetic. I don't even want to talk about the Super Bowl because I just get sick in my stomach.

Cowher needs to look outside of the box. The Steelers offence is just to predictable. I can call the plays from my couch! I also don't like his "keep it close" mentality. Go for the damn jugular from the opening kickoff!! His inability to change gameplans at haltime drives me crazy as well. Cowher is a very stubborn individual and needs to let his coordinators do their job 100%.

Koopa
01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
why is their so many threads trying to convince ppl to like cowher? a superbowl ain't gonna make me like him. i just don't like the guy for some reason. it's probably cause of all the years of choking. but i don't think he should be fired though, i just don't think i'll ever like him(don't mean i don't respect him). hell i don't like coach pop of the spurs and he's one three championships.

augustashark
01-12-2006, 11:30 PM
It's been quite a while since I have been a "Cowher rah-rah guy." I jumped off that bandwagon in 2001 after the AFCCG loss to the Pats. Sure, Cowher is a regular season warrior but come playoff time, his ass tightens up and forgets his stones at home. His current post-season record is 9-9 (including last weeks win). That's it... .500 record. In 5 AFCCG's he is 1-4... pathetic. I don't even want to talk about the Super Bowl because I just get sick in my stomach.

Cowher needs to look outside of the box. The Steelers offence is just to predictable. I can call the plays from my couch! I also don't like his "keep it close" mentality. Go for the damn jugular from the opening kickoff!! His inability to change gameplans at haltime drives me crazy as well. Cowher is a very stubborn individual and needs to let his coordinators do their job 100%.

I think the Cincy game has shown that he is not in the "keep it close" mentality! I think in the past with QB'S like Stewart he knew that he could not win the game with his arm, hence the two late ints he throw in the 01 game. You look at the 04 game he kinda did and then did'nt in that game, mostly due to being down big in the 2nd half. I don't think that he has alot of input in the O's play calling. I'm sure he has a gameplan that he has with O but I think he does let the Wizy do most of the play calling. I should say though that if it is at a tuning point in the game, his input may be alittle more!

Also I think that he and the coaches did a very good job at halftime in the Cincy game as far as changing gameplans. IMO

tony hipchest
01-12-2006, 11:30 PM

actually cowher gives his coordinators too much leeway (thats one reason so many of them have gone on to land head coaching jobs). if anything he needs too be more hands on like belichick, and landry, and not let these o coordinators call the game. last weeks offenseive preformance was all wisenhunt. thats how cowher has always operated and thats why wisenhunt is interviewing for a head coaching position this week.

drizze99
01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
I will give credit where credit is due and the staff did a great job at halftime in the Cincy game. They answered Cincy's altered gameplan with Kitna under center.

I don't believe Wizzy has as much lee way as you say. Anyways, in the Cincy game, Big Ben pleaded with him to change it up on 1st and 2nd down because the playcalling was too predictable. I'm Cowher needed to be consulted as well.

tony hipchest
01-13-2006, 10:35 AM
i think all football fans can agree that in the last 4-5 years the best and most succesful teams in the league have been

patriots
eagles
steelers
colts

their records and playoff appearances would suggest in that order too.

the one constant is continuity. the same head coach, the same assistants and the same qb. well except for the steelers, where the only constant is cowher. hes remained up there with the "elite" teams with 3 qb's 2 offensive coordinators and 2 defensive coordinators.