PDA

View Full Version : Metal Heads Rejoice! It's 1982 Again!

revefsreleets
06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Tim Ripper Owens "Play My Game" is absolute required listening. He recruits a who's who of 80's metal Gods and pretends like the last 25 years never happened. Here's a partial list of the dudes playing on the album:

Steve Stevens (Idol)
Bruce Kulick (KISS)
Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake)
Dave Ellefson (Megadeath)
Billy Sheehan (DLR)
Rudy Sarzo (QR and Whitesnake)
Simon Wright (AC/DC)

Check it out!

Dino 6 Rings
06-09-2009, 04:49 PM
what, no Quiet Riot?

revefsreleets
06-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Rudy Sarzo was a QR guy.

This has some Dio fingerprints on it, just so you guys know. I suspect he ghost wrote some songs or something...

NJarhead
06-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I can't believe you posted this!!! It's ironic because my project for school is to do a presentation on the Heavy Metal Culture. That's funny.

revefsreleets
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I can sum it up for you succinctly: Metal Never Dies!

Bear in mind though that Ripper is more of a purist. This is Metal in the vein of Dio, Priest and Yngwie Malmsteen. Not for the faint of heart pop metal fans who worshiped Bon Jovi and Poison.

Fire Haley
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
What a bunch of crap - I'd rather listen to Stevie Nicks and her throaty voice.

Gold Dust Woman is a trip.

KeiselPower99
06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
I will be checking that out. I liked the album he made with Iced Earth.

NJarhead
06-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Bear in mind though that Ripper is more of a purist. This is Metal in the vein of Dio, Priest and Yngwie Malmsteen. Not for the faint of heart pop metal fans who worshiped Bon Jovi and Poison.

Actually, although I love Priest, I leaned more towards Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, etc. That's what my presentation will be on.

PisnNapalm
06-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Meh.... s'ok... While I do like some metal songs I was never into it really.

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Hence the title: "METAL HEADS Rejoice".

Cheppy
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Steve Stevens (Idol)
Bruce Kulick (KISS)
Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake)
Dave Ellefson (Megadeath)
Billy Sheehan (DLR)
Rudy Sarzo (QR and Whitesnake)
Simon Wright (AC/DC)

Check it out!

Of that list, Dave Ellefson is the only one who played in a metal band.

NJarhead
06-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Pretty much.

beSteelmyheart
06-10-2009, 08:51 PM
That's refreshing. I'm so sick of the current screaming hatred of the new crap that I don't even bother listening to it anymore. It began with the whole grunge trip & I haven't been interested since.

KeiselPower99
06-11-2009, 12:00 AM

I agree with ya. Pretty Metal isnt real METAL!!!!

Cheppy
06-11-2009, 12:40 AM
I agree with ya. Pretty Metal isnt real METAL!!!!

It's not that they're pretty metal, it's that 98% of those people were part of bands that flat-out weren't metal. I'm a fan of every kind of metal. Power, Thrash, Death, Grindcore, classic, ala Maiden & Priest.

The likes of Whitesnake & Quiet Riot are just fluff, 80's rock. AC/DC is great but they're not metal & they never were. This is metal:

18iCwnbdf7M

This is not:

6G3Exb1WN4U

revefsreleets
06-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Ah, always the contrarian. What a pleasure...

Regardless, the album is very much pure aggressive metal, no glam, no pop, just grinding metal circa early 80's. I can even hear influences from particular songs, like "Jawbreaker" and "The Sentinel" from Priest, and he was definitely influenced by his work with Malmsteen.

As far as the musicians, he also works with guys from Savatage and his other band Beyond Fear (which is uber heavy), Michael Wilton from Queensryche, James Lomenzo from Megadeath, and Vinnie Appice (Dio...incidentally, Rudy Sarzo also played with Dio). I also definitely consider Whitesnake a real heavy metal band.

SteelMember
06-11-2009, 10:15 AM

incidentally, Rudy Sarzo also played with Dio)

Rudy is METAL. He's a great bassist, and instructor for that matter. He has quite a resume which also includes touring with Ozzy on Blizzard and Diary, and Yngwie at on point. Those are "metal" imo. As far as the droaning, throaty gargleing of "death metal", ya it's metal instrumentally, but the overall product... I could live without. Lyrics are a part of the whole package for a song, and I find it difficult to get past that vocal garbage, even though some of those guys are pretty great musicians. :noidea:

Mastadon (an Atl band) is one example.

Cheppy
06-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Rudy is METAL. He's a great bassist, and instructor for that matter. He has quite a resume which also includes touring with Ozzy on Blizzard and Diary, and Yngwie at on point. Those are "metal" imo.

I didn't know he played with them. I stand corrected.

As far as the droaning, throaty gargleing of "death metal", ya it's metal instrumentally, but the overall product... I could live without. Lyrics are a part of the whole package for a song, and I find it difficult to get past that vocal garbage, even though some of those guys are pretty great musicians. :noidea:

Eh, vocals, in particular lyrics, are the last thing I look for in a band. (especially metal) Melody is the first thing I look for. The only person's lyrics that I really take notice of is Chuck Schuldiner's. They're the most intelligent & inspirational I can think of. (metal or otherwise) As for death metal, the only death metal band I out & out love is Cryptopsy. (& only their first two full length albums)

Cheppy
06-11-2009, 12:59 PM
I also definitely consider Whitesnake a real heavy metal band.

They're not though.

Indo
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing Rudy playing with Ozzy on the Diary Tour...with Randy Rhoads shredding the Axe...
effing Awesome

Indo
06-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Incidentally, for those of you who may be Maiden fans, VH1 has been broadcasting a show of a recent Maiden World Tour (it's a DVD, I think) that highlights their best songs. They are getting up there in age (for metal dudes)---what's Bruce Dickinson, 50ish? But they still got it---he can still hit the scream in "Run to the Hills"

SteelMember
06-11-2009, 02:34 PM
I just saw an ad for this 2-DVD set. I believe it was just released this week.

IRON MAIDEN: Flight 666, The Film.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/666formats.htm

KeiselPower99
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I heard a preview of it today and it sounds damn good. Ripper knows his stuff.

silver & black
06-11-2009, 04:06 PM

I never considered Bon Jovi as metal of any kind... pop or otherwise. Poison just sucks ass... period. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Incidentally, for those of you who may be Maiden fans, VH1 has been broadcasting a show of a recent Maiden World Tour (it's a DVD, I think) that highlights their best songs. They are getting up there in age (for metal dudes)---what's Bruce Dickinson, 50ish? But they still got it---he can still hit the scream in "Run to the Hills"

One of the HD "bonus channels" has this running...DVR is set.

Indo
06-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Bon Jovi?
I remember back in the 80s when the DJ on DVE (can't remember his name now) used to introduce the Bon Jovi songs---"Here's Jon Bon Jovi---the Patron Saint of Teenage Girls..."
All due respect to Richie Sambora, but he ain't no Yngwie!
I don't know that I would consider Ted Nugent metal, but he could play, too!

Indo
06-11-2009, 04:50 PM
As for Poison---I must admit , I do like some of their songs. Wouldn't consider it metal, tho'

But (and here's the important part), Bret Michaels (Poison's front-man) is from Pittsburgh. The dude's a die-hard I-Bleed-Black-and-Gold Steeler fan. He has a couple of custom-made guitars that are gold with a black neck and have The Logo on them...

You may not like his music, but ya gotta respect the fact that he's as much a part of Steeler Nation as you and me

Fire Haley
06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Metal music makes my head hurt.

I must be a hippie.

NJarhead
06-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I must be a hippie.

Do you like flowers, complain about everything and think our military is full of baby killers?

Fire Haley
06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Ahhhhh young padiwon

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel.

MasterOfPuppets
06-11-2009, 07:34 PM
[/B]

I never considered Bon Jovi as metal of any kind... pop or otherwise. Poison just sucks ass... period. :chuckle: i've always referred to that style of music as "bubble gum" music..... it's directed toward teenage girls... if a band has love songs on thier albums...THEY ARE NOT METAL !!! :coffee:

NJarhead
06-11-2009, 07:53 PM
i've always referred to that style of music as "bubble gum" music..... it's directed toward teenage girls... if a band has love songs on thier albums...THEY ARE NOT METAL !!! :coffee:

'tis the truth. I knew a couple of guys who "convinced" Jon Bon Jovi that he should leave the mall. This was waaay back in his beginnings here in NJ. He was not welcome in our mall. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
06-11-2009, 08:06 PM
i've always referred to that style of music as "bubble gum" music..... it's directed toward teenage girls... if a band has love songs on thier albums...THEY ARE NOT METAL !!! :coffee:

Not true!

Armored Saint sang about love. This is so beautiful, it almost brings a tear to my eye...

8. Stricken by Fate

Damage to my head, peace stays in the bed
Making love the only thing we can do
Otherwise in our lives, all we do is fight
Never stop enough to call a truce
The only time that you find satisfaction is in our physical play
You love me in the course of the evening but so bitter in the day
Think you'd wipe the smudge, but just carry on the grudge
Nothing gets forgiven from you
Soon I'll lose the cure, and you'll thirst so much more
Somebody fresh I wonder who

Now I think it's time for me to walk straight out the door
And leave you here
But my pride hurts too much for that you
Wouldn't even shed a tear

Got to pack my bags, and leave behind the past
Living with you was worse than hell
Still I feel blue, and I wonder do you
With the look on your face you could never tell

Never thought I'd wish somebody death or I'd feel so much hate
Hopefully you'll get what you deserve and be stricken by fate
I hope that you, you get what you want
That's right
Ahhrrrghh!!!

NJarhead
06-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Not true!

Armored Saint sang about love. This is so beautiful, it almost brings a tear to my eye...

8. Stricken by Fate

And leave you here

That's right
Ahhrrrghh!!!

So did Danzig,
"Die, Die, Die My Darling. Don't utter a single word. Die, Die, Die My Darling. Just shut your pretty mouth. I'll be seeing you again. I'll be seeing you in Hell."

:chuckle:

KeiselPower99
06-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Not true!

8. Stricken by Fate

And leave you here

That's right
Ahhrrrghh!!!

I love me some Armored Saint. Bush is actually the singer I like in Anthrax

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Checking out "Somewhere Back In Time" by Maiden as I type. I noticed they kept the set from "Powerslave"....waste not, want not I guess...LOL.

I remember playing The Trooper in '85 and blowing people away...it's still a viable metal song even after all these years.

Dudes can still very much bring it. They don't move around as much as they did in '84, and there a few more lines on their faces and maybe just a little bit of paunch here and there, but, otherwise these guys are still incredibly gifted musicians. Definitely worth checking out for you metal heads...

NJarhead
06-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Checking out "Somewhere Back In Time" by Maiden as I type. I noticed they kept the set from "Powerslave"....waste not, want not I guess...LOL.

I remember playing The Trooper in '85 and blowing people away...it's still a viable metal song even after all these years.

Dudes can still very much bring it. They don't move around as much as they did in '84, and there a few more lines on their faces and maybe just a little bit of paunch here and there, but, otherwise these guys are still incredibly gifted musicians. Definitely worth checking out for you metal heads...

They changed stage sets a number of times for the concert depending on what they were singing.

silver & black
06-16-2009, 04:31 PM

I love Maiden. I've seen them 9 times. I hate to admit it, but I'm old enough to have seen the "Iron Maiden" and "Killers"" tours. Paul Di'Anno is still my favorite singer for them.

NJarhead
06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
I love Maiden. I've seen them 9 times. I hate to admit it, but I'm old enough to have seen the "Iron Maiden" and "Killers"" tours. Paul Di'Anno is still my favorite singer for them.

Dayum. You old %^&*er. :chuckle:
:drink:

Only Maiden concert I saw was Somewhere in Time. Meadowlands in NJ and we had to escape the place because there was a riot. Still have the newpaper clipping.

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 04:44 PM
They have a Boeing 757 and Dickinson flies it. I read that they were a HUGE draw on their '08 tour, and it was almost like they never let off at all.

Amazing...and good for them!

http://polizeros.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/20080317_iron02.jpg

Steeldude
06-17-2009, 01:19 AM
it's not a metal list without the greatest metal band of all time...

IRON MAIDEN