PDA

View Full Version : Steelers questions/answers from the ESPN's AFC North chat

mesaSteeler
06-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Steelers questions/answers from the ESPN's AFC North chat
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/26873/nfl-blogger-james-walker
Kristoph (Dallas, TX)

Other than Big Ben who is our least dispensable player? We have seen our defense have trouble w/out Aaron Smith or Troy...

James Walker

Troy Polamalu would have to be the next player. His versatility gives Pittsburgh's defense so many options and flexibility. Plus, there is no one in the league quite like him, so he is very hard to practice for and game plan against.

SteelerPete (So Cal)

Is it just me or does Mike Tomlin seem more focused then ever to get back to the Super Bowl. Is it because he definately sees a window of opportunity where this core team could make a run at a few more titles?

James Walker

You have good intuition, Pete. Mike is just one of those guys who is wired to be great. He is chasing greatness, not just success. So one championship is not enough for him as an individual. A lot of people relax at this point, even Bill Cowher, who is a future HOF coach. But I think Mike really gets it. :tt03::applaudit:

CJ (Pittsburgh)

James, great work on the blog. Definitely everyday reading. My question is concerning the Steelers D-line. Do you think they did enough this offseason to address their depth issues?

James Walker

I never felt the defensive line was a problem last year. Everyone stayed healthy and played their part on the NFL's No. 1 defense. Age is an issue, but only if injuries occur. Maybe Pittsburgh was lucky last year, but spending a first-round pick on the d-line could turn out to be a pretty good move.

Andy Prough (Kyle, TX)

Hi James, thanks for keeping me up to date on all the activities of my beloved Steelers! My favorite two new Steelers are Shipley and Frank the Tank. Think either one stands a chance of seeing playing time this season?

James Walker

Based on fan reaction, these two players could be favorites if they play well. I don't expect too much from either player as rookies. Summers may be able to help on short-yardage situations. Shipley will have to first make the team, but I think playing center will help his cause.

Randy Duvall (Hampton, VA)

Why have the Steelers not completed a 3 - 5 year contract to TE Heath Miller?
James Walker

The Steelers have very little room under the cap. If nothing changes with Max Starks' franchise tag, Miller likely will play out the final year of his contract. (It would be bad if Heath hits the open market and the Steelers have to get into a bidding war. - mesa)

Paul (Philadelphia, PA)

Hey James, thanks for the quality work you bring us. After breaking his leg in the '07 season, then being plagued with a nagging injury last season, are there some legitimate durability concerns with Willie Parker? If Rashard steps up, would the Steelers be willing to drop Parker and go with a Mendenhall/Moore backfield?

James Walker

Thanks for being a loyal reader. Willie Parker is in a show-and-prove year, Paul. If he cannot stay healthy and productive, Pittsburgh will move on with Mendenhall. But Mendenhall also has to prove he can play in the NFL. But if Parker has a big year, the Steelers have a tough decision to make.

Amr (Toms River, NJ)

We've heard lots about Ziggy, but have any of the others Steelers' rookies stood out so far?

James Walker

I haven't been around everyday. But in the time I watched practice, Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis looked like players who may catch on and contribute.

(I couldn't resist one Brownie question and answer. I found it amusing. - mesa)

orge (Fountain Valley)

Can you use your influences and ties to Cleveland to get some new uniforms? We play in a division where we lead the league in ugly uniforms (Bengals and Browns). "Please help"

James Walker

Jorge, there's not much you can do with orange and brown. It's a tough color combo to begin with.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2009, 01:05 AM
\
Can you use your influences and ties to Cleveland to get some new uniforms? We play in a division where we lead the league in ugly uniforms (Bengals and Browns). "Please help"

James Walker

Jorge, there's not much you can do with orange and brown. It's a tough color combo to begin with.

I love our Uni's, could do without the Gray Facemask, and wish they could bring back the orange pants more often, but I wear my teams colors with pride.

Any Browns fan that complains about the colors of the team isn't a real fan. :). It's not about the colors on the Jersey, but the name on the front of it.

BozMan
06-10-2009, 03:56 AM
But in the time I watched practice, Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis looked like players who may catch on and contribute.

That is interesting and encouraging.

Galax Steeler
06-10-2009, 04:44 AM
Good to hear that some of our rookies are doing good.

mulldog24
06-10-2009, 08:04 AM
It would be great to get some immediate contributions from some rookies,especially at the wr and db positions. I also hope "ZIGGY" can contribute on the D-line this year.

Dino 6 Rings
06-10-2009, 08:22 AM
HERE WE GO

GBMelBlount
06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
It would be bad if Heath hits the open market and the Steelers have to get into a bidding war. - mesa

I agree. Although I am very happy with a lot for the things the Steelers are doing, these are the types of potential casualties you can have when you don't plan well ( i.e. - Starks).

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I love our Uni's, could do without the Gray Facemask, and wish they could bring back the orange pants more often, but I wear my teams colors with pride.

Any Browns fan that complains about the colors of the team isn't a real fan. :). It's not about the colors on the Jersey, but the name on the front of it.

Ugh. Fooooogly! And the orange pants are an atrocity that should be shot into outer space, never to be seen again. The best move the Browns ever made was going with the all white jerseys in order to play down the monstrosity that is combining orange and brown in a uniform. Those are two colors that actually only occur together in toxic chemicals and baby diarrhea...

WeegiesWarriors
06-10-2009, 10:24 AM
The browns are more orange and black anymore. Compare them with the shit brown during the kosar era vs what they have today. The brown is darker as if they're getting less fiber in their diet. Technically it's still brown, but they are subtly moving toward black to change their image as the worst looking color combo in the NFL... possibly of all sports

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
And I'll say this...I'd rather have Orange and Brown and be plain than Orange and Black and have those stupid Jersey-profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter-tacky-tiger stripes all over my uniform like the Bungles do...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Ugh. Fooooogly! And the orange pants are an atrocity that should be shot into outer space, never to be seen again. The best move the Browns ever made was going with the all white jerseys in order to play down the monstrosity that is combining orange and brown in a uniform. Those are two colors that actually only occur together in toxic chemicals and baby diarrhea...

Disagree. I'm a graphic arts major, and had to take color theory. The Browns team colors actually mesh well according to color coding. Orange is the only color that goes along with Brown. :)

The current Uni's are trying to throwback to the days of Warfield, Brown and Co. where their brown was more of a seal brown.

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't doubt that orange goes with brown according to color coding. I mean, even the most awful of colors probably combines with SOME other color. But both are pukey colors to begin with, and, like I said, they occur together in nature only in a baby's diaper, so...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=revefsreleets;614866]I don't doubt that orange goes with brown according to color coding. I mean, even the most awful of colors probably combines with SOME other color. [QUOTE]

I didn't chose them :noidea:.

Blame the fans that wanted to name it after our head coach errr..."The Brown Bomber",, Joe Louis and I think we sort of ripped them off of BGSU and Massilon as well, If I'm not mistaken.

Football's not supposed to be pretty, I mean look at the face of the franchise in Jack Lambert and the Toothless snarl, so I don't mind if the uni's are "Ugly". Just wish my team would win once in a while.

BTW, You're welcome for being able to use Cleveland's Steel Mill logo. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 02:53 PM
What WERE they thinking by adopting that gay little elf?

wootawnee
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
You all would hate Black and Gold if they haven won any titles since the fifties.......The Browns got one of the great uni's in the league.........My favs not in order....

Browns
Steelers The mustard helmet option kicks a$%
Raiders
Chargers
Packers home uni with the green
The old Oilers
The old dolphins from the 80's when they all wore orange wristbands
Bears

Colts are cool too

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
What WERE they thinking by adopting that gay little elf?

This coming from someone who has "Steely McBeam" as a mascot. :chuckle: (Yeah I know, you guys hate him, but even you guys have to admit..he's uhhh...sort..of..uhh..Village People Esque.)

I don't think they really cared at the time when they were winning 8 titles and were the Yankees of Pro Football :).

A lot of Browns fans have a theory that after the Elf was forcibly taken away by Modell, that there's been a curse on the franchise, since then the Browns have won no titles.

Dig the Elf, Always have, Always will. and I'm glad and proud to own two Brownie Hats and a shirt with "Fear The Elf" on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtobglCU7oo :chuckle:

revefsreleets
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Oh, there's no doubt that Steely is a little fruity...but that's for the kids.

But that elf is just straight up flamingly gay...I mean super uber pole smokingly homosexual.

Steel Head
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Browns uniforms are crap

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh, there's no doubt that Steely is a little fruity...but that's for the kids.

But that elf is just straight up flamingly gay...I mean super uber pole smokingly homosexual.

There's more than meets the eye with Brownie. You see him as the little guy that looks like the Keebler Elf, but I see him more as a guy like in the cartoon I just linked. :).

Two things I sort of which the Browns and Steelers would do, is get some cheerleaders. You guys I read had something called the "Steelerettes" I don't understand why that can't get brought back, and the Browns could just hire the Cavs Girls to work on Sundays. :thumbsup:

Steel-Bryan
06-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Naaa man, i think the browns uniform is tight, its original. And who cares about a mascot? Honestly. Anyways, I wish the browns a good year (Not too good of a year tho :flap: ).

Indo
06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
There's more than meets the eye with Brownie. You see him as the little guy that looks like the Keebler Elf, but I see him more as a guy like in the cartoon I just linked. :).

I see it more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5oGzuYkqWw

wootawnee
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Naaa man, i think the browns uniform is tight, its original. And who cares about a mascot? Honestly. Anyways, I wish the browns a good year (Not too good of a year tho :flap: ).

Yea I always dug the Brown's blue collar poor boy type teams of the eighties......They were like the Steelers little brother back then.....Same kind of attitude........Ever since they left for Baltimore they lost that........This new team never found it's identity.......I thought they almost did in 07 but they lost it again and now the whole staff is gone so I guess we will see..........
ps....I just watched a playoff game between the browns and the dolphins.....I think it was Kosar's rookie season........He looked great.....Better than Marino.......I mean his lob passes where so touch that he looked like a 10 year vet Bradshaw.......They still lost cause they could not stop the run game.......Good game though......

LVSteelersfan
06-11-2009, 12:55 AM
The Clowns are the only team with no logo on the helmet. How gay is that? I went ahead and did a logo especially for the sh!tstains helmets.

http://lvphcwm.tripod.com/browns2.gif

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-11-2009, 01:34 AM
The Clowns are the only team with no logo on the helmet. How gay is that?

Actually not really.

Considering your team doesn't have one on the half of it's, and that logo is auctually from a Cleveland Co.

We tried to do a logo in '64, for some odd reason it never caught on:

http://www.misterhabs.com/nfl-proto_files/Browns_alt_1.gif

I myself have also experimented with a logo on the Browns helmet via photoshop and it..just doesn't look right.

So the helmet is staying the way it is for a while.

steelax04
06-11-2009, 10:20 AM
There's more than meets the eye with Browneye.

There, I fixed it for you. :chuckle: