PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental Draft: DE Jeremy Jarmon

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
OK...here is the skinny on this kid. He was projected to be a late 3rd rounder in next years draft as a 3/4 DE. All reports are that he is a top-character guy but then he tested for having an illegal substance in his system and was declared ineligible to play next year. His story is that he took an over-the-counter substance, not realizing it contained an ingredient that was illegal. Every report I have seen says that this is "probably" the case with this kid...so....

I think he could be picked up in the supplemental draft with a 5th or 6th round pick...should we take a chance?

He is 6'3 279lbs...4.78 forty... had 13.5 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss in his two years as a starter

CantStop85
06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Great character, great kid. It's unfortunate what happened to him...he would've been pretty dominant in the SEC this year.

Aussie_steeler
06-11-2009, 03:25 AM
The read I get on him is that he is probably a 4-3 DE and it looks like Philly has shown some interest.

I am not sure if he could handle the 3-4 DE.

MasterOfPuppets
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
what position were you thinking he'd fill LLT ? DE or OLB ?

KeiselPower99
06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
When is the Supplemental draft?

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-13-2009, 08:26 AM
what position were you thinking he'd fill LLT ? DE or OLB ?

I have read that he can play both 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE...One site says that he is 280lbs but has the frame to had 10-15 lbs.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Do we have a pick in the supplemental draft?

Texasteel
06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I have read that he can play both 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE...One site says that he is 280lbs but has the frame to had 10-15 lbs.

Could be an interesting pickup if we could get him fairly cheap. Another step in making out D-line younger. Give him a year to put on a little more mussel.

I just can't remember, have we ever taken anyone in the supplemental draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Do we have a pick in the supplemental draft?

Any one can pick....Each team puts in a bid for taking the player in a certain round...the team that bids the highest gets the player and loses that pick in the upcoming 2010 draft.

So if we make a 5th round bid, and get him...we wouldllose a 5th round pick in the 2010 regular draft.

tony hipchest
06-13-2009, 02:29 PM
anyone remember who the 4th round pick was that we coulda used on jarod gaither? was it tony hills?

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Could be an interesting pickup if we could get him fairly cheap. Another step in making out D-line younger. Give him a year to put on a little more mussel.

I just can't remember, have we ever taken anyone in the supplemental draft.

I dont believe so, at least not in the modern day....Someone may want to confirm but I believe that the last Steelers player picked in a supplemental draft was a TE named Tom Burnett in 1966.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-13-2009, 02:37 PM
anyone remember who the 4th round pick was that we coulda used on jarod gaither? was it Tony Hills?

That's correct with the 130 overall pick. (Traded pick 123 to the Giants)

Texasteel
06-13-2009, 04:41 PM
anyone remember who the 4th round pick was that we coulda used on jarod gaither? was it tony hills?

I was really wanting them to make that pick and the time.

Preacher
06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
OK...here is the skinny on this kid. He was projected to be a late 3rd rounder in next years draft as a 3/4 DE. All reports are that he is a top-character guy but then he tested for having an illegal substance in his system and was declared ineligible to play next year. His story is that he took an over-the-counter substance, not realizing it contained an ingredient that was illegal. Every report I have seen says that this is "probably" the case with this kid...so....

I think he could be picked up in the supplemental draft with a 5th or 6th round pick...should we take a chance?

He is 6'3 279lbs...4.78 forty... had 13.5 sacks and 23.5 tackles for loss in his two years as a starter

Not sure I would be interested. He is smaller, skinnier, and slower than Ziggy. Sounds like he can't really reach 300 in a healthy way. I prefer the DE's to be right about 3 to 310 with quickness.

Now, a sixth round pick... or a seventh... sure. Those are usually boom or bust pics anyways.

As someone said before, he sounds like a 4-3 DE, like a Dwight Freeney.

Heck, see if he can fill in as a backup OLB. At that height and weight and speed... why not. Drop 15 pounds and he just may be fast enough.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Not sure I would be interested. He is smaller, skinnier, and slower than Ziggy. Sounds like he can't really reach 300 in a healthy way. I prefer the DE's to be right about 3 to 310 with quickness.

I dont know Preacher...WalterDraft.com says:

5/18/09: Probably destined to be a 3-4 end in the NFL.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010DE.php

I think his 4.78 forty have some teams thinking he can play both.....and as of right now he is only listed as 6lbs less than Brett Keisel.

I agree with you that we should pull the trigger on the 6th round

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 05:34 PM
I think Sonny Harris will have the ability to play DE for the Steelers in a couple seasons.

I dont think the Steelers will chase him in the supplemental draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I think Sonny Harris will have the ability to play DE for the Steelers in a couple seasons.

I dont think the Steelers will chase him in the supplemental draft.

History tells me we wont take a gamble...so in that sense I agree with you. However, as others have stated...if he is still there and available with a 6th round pick...I would love for us to take a flyer on him.

Gonzo, I have seen where some think that Harris might be groomed to play NT after a time in a NFL weight program to beef him up...I havent seen enough tape to see if he has that type of ability or not...have you seen enough of this kid to give some insight?

CantStop85
06-20-2009, 06:51 PM
History tells me we wont take a gamble...so in that sense I agree with you. However, as others have stated...if he is still there and available with a 6th round pick...I would love for us to take a flyer on him.

Gonzo, I have seen where some think that Harris might be groomed to play NT after a time in a NFL weight program to beef him up...I havent seen enough tape to see if he has that type of ability or not...have you seen enough of this kid to give some insight?

As for Jarmon, I think he will be gone at least by the end of the fifth round, but more likely the fourth round. Had he decided to stay in this past year's draft he was projected as a mid to high fourth rounder.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-20-2009, 07:22 PM
As for Jarmon, I think he will be gone at least by the end of the fifth round, but more likely the fourth round. Had he decided to stay in this past year's draft he was projected as a mid to high fourth rounder.

Thats what I saw also...anywhere from the late third to late 4th. But traditionally players are drafted later in the supplemental draft than they were projected in the actual draft. Your 5th round projection is spot-on, in my opinion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-21-2009, 12:07 PM

I can only remember a bit of watching Harris play, but he is actually taller than Ziggy Hood and plays a bit upright. He is a guy that plugs things up and plays 2 gaps, so it makes me think that he is best suited to DE and not NT.......but if they put 15lbs on him he can be a guy that plays some NT.

I think he is the eventual replacement for Nick Eason or Chris Hoke as a reserve/rotational D lineman.

Preacher
06-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I can only remember a bit of watching Harris play, but he is actually taller than Ziggy Hood and plays a bit upright. He is a guy that plugs things up and plays 2 gaps, so it makes me think that he is best suited to DE and not NT.......but if they put 15lbs on him he can be a guy that plays some NT.

I think he is the eventual replacement for Nick Eason or Chris Hoke as a reserve/rotational D lineman.

Except our system wants a 2 gap nose tackle... So that would be nice if he can do it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Except our system wants a 2 gap nose tackle... So that would be nice if he can do it.

Yeah, but Preacher, I am sure you understand the concept of getting low as a NT and Harris is 6'4" and has a habit to play high. That needs to be coached out of him. I would much more prefer a kid like Myron Pryor (6'0" 319lbs) to play NT who has a habit of staying low and taking up 2 gaps. Hampton only goes 6'1".

Again, I think Harris can be like Nick Eason and play NT if need be, but a 6'4" guy that plays tall and has long arms is more likely to be a DE in this system.