PDA

View Full Version : Colts - Well Rested or Rusty - Which One?

Infamix
01-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Considering that some of the Colts' defensive starters haven't played in a while, and some of their main playmakers haven't started, will the Colts just be healthy and come out firing or will it take time for them to adjust to the speed of the game? I really don't know what to expect....but if I were Cowher and had the ball first, I would let Ben take shots down the field and catch the Colts' D off guard. What do you guys think?

Man_Of_Steel
01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I think they will be rusty. And that does not bode well against a Steeler team that is on fire. Ben is playing at the top of his game right now. Willie Parker is running harder than I've seen this year, and our recievers are making big plays. And to top it off NOBODY is picking the Steelers to win this game, what more motivation do they need? This has upset sity written all over it. Man do I want to bet on this game but don't know what trusted site to use.

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I dont think there is much debating that having a weeks rest is a good thing - recent playoff records suggest that anyway.

If the Steelers pull this one out - it'll be because they were good enough to overcome the No.1 ranked team in the NFL with a weeks less rest - that would be a fantastic achievement.

NM

Livinginthe past
01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I think they will be rusty. And that does not bode well against a Steeler team that is on fire. Ben is playing at the top of his game right now. Willie Parker is running harder than I've seen this year, and our recievers are making big plays. And to top it off NOBODY is picking the Steelers to win this game, what more motivation do they need? This has upset sity written all over it. Man do I want to bet on this game but don't know what trusted site to use.

Try Bet365.com - that is a pretty good site and it gives you plenty of varied game 'props' such as race to 10 points and 1st TD scorer.....

NM

Sharkissle29
01-12-2006, 11:10 PM
you could really make some money if the steelers win. guarantee everyones taking indy

augustashark
01-13-2006, 12:44 AM
I very much hope that their rusty. I know we were when we came out for the Jets game last year.....It is very hard to have won HFA through out in week 13 and then turn it on when the playoffs start. This aint the NBA!

drizze99
01-13-2006, 01:02 AM
I believe that here will be rust there. We need to jump on them qwik! We need to pull a San Diego on them and get them down early like they did (16-0). I know we can get into Peyton's head. I'm sure LeBeau has this game schemed well.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2006, 02:13 AM
The colts offense is all about timing.. I would imagine they will be alittle bit rusty but they'll work it out... and if they are alittle rusty thats when we need to jump on them and make a move to get ahead early and not be playing catchup.

Rotorhead
01-13-2006, 02:53 AM
LITP, I would agree that if they just had 1 week off they would be rested, but the starters really haven't played more than a quarter for 3+ weeks, that is maybe a little too long to not have rust. Not to mention that this is a playoff game so it is definately a higher speed than even their last game. So because they have been resting alot of the key starters since they locked up home field, I am thinking there will be some rust. I am certainly hoping that will give our Def the time it needs to adjust and our Off a chance to get lead to start the game.

Livinginthe past
01-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah I believe there will be some rust too - but I also believe that the rest and health they have gained through not playing will be a bigger plus point.

Im trying to stay pessimistic on this one - id love to see the Steelers march into Indy and stuff the Colts - the only problem being which rule the Competition Commitee would want -'re-emphasised' this time.

NM

Prosdo
01-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree the Colts may have a little rust to knock off because of the timing and all. But I do agree they will be well rested.

tony hipchest
01-13-2006, 11:05 AM
they were well rested coming into the season after an 0-5 pre season. heres what they did:

24-7 vs baltimore
10-3 vs jax
13-6 vs cleveland

now they come in after 2 losses and beating arizona with 17 points. they only scored 26 on us last time. looking at their trend to begin the season and what they did when they played the steelers at full stride i see them scoring about 18-24 points. after the steelers faced them and got healthy they have averaged 29 points a game. i would be much more worried if it were ben coming off a bye week. i think the steelers are better off riding this wave of momentum. remember how flat they were after a 13 game winning streak when they faced the jets after the week of rest last year? to me, all this suggests the colts will have plenty of rust to knock off.

jax, balt, cleve, sd, pitt, n.e. and even the texans all run similar forms of the 3-4 or hybrids of it that have proven to slow the colts offense down. its a proven formula and one that will work.

SteelCityMan786
01-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Colts

0% Rested
100% Rusted.

End Of Story.

SteelerzGirl
01-13-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm counting on the great momentum the Steelers have going into this game! Yeehaww! :bouncy:

SalukiSteelers
01-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I hope they're rusty -- especially after the way they kicked Pittsburgh's tail last game -- but I wouldn't count on it. T.D. seems like the kind of guy who makes sure his teams are ready. Plus, I can't see Peyton and the rest of the offense using the extra couple of weeks like vacations.

Could Peyton have spent that time putting a little extra pressure on himself? I sometimes wonder about that because the guy is so meticulous on the field and image-conscious off it.

I'm sure he knows that there's a perception of him, like Cowher, as a guy who can't win the big one. Hopefully he's thinking that this has to be the year for the Colts and -- I know I'm doing a lot of hoping here -- hopefully that makes him play worse, not better. Who knows what'll happen with Edge and a team is just an injury or two away from struggling next season so I guess that could play with his mind a little.

Same thing for Dungy, I guess. I would imagine that B.C. could tell him stories of what it's like to get to the edge of greatness and not actually move in to it.

If anything, maybe the Colts will be a little too jacked up because it's been a while since they've played meaningful games at full-speed. The home crowd is going to fill that dome with electricity and when you mix that with the combustible emotional nature of a sideline, watch out. Throw in some Porter smack talk and there's a chance that the Colts come out and meatball it up for a while, giving the Steelers some cheap penalty yards.

If I were a Colts fan I'd worry more about pressure than rust. Rust wears off the later in a game it gets.

Rotorhead
01-14-2006, 12:12 AM
You are correct saluki, but the good thing about our Def is they get better as the game goes on too, so I hope for rust early so we can get up in score and then tuff Def later to keep it that way!

tony hipchest
01-14-2006, 02:18 PM
from an article in postgazette discussing the rust factor:

"So it remains unseen how such a protracted rest period might affect the Colts, who last had a playoff bye week six years ago and lost in the divisional round to visiting Tennessee, 19-16.

Reggie Wayne, for one, whined yesterday about the downtime: "It seems like forever since we played a whole game. Kind of sick and tired of watching everybody else play."

such a high powered offense only scoring 16 points. reminds me of the slow start they had after the preseason. yet everyone seems they will come out of the gates firing on all cylinders. recent trends say the rest only hurts this type of offense.

tony hipchest
01-15-2006, 06:39 PM
they were well rested coming into the season after an 0-5 pre season. heres what they did:

24-7 vs baltimore
10-3 vs jax
13-6 vs cleveland

now they come in after 2 losses and beating arizona with 17 points. they only scored 26 on us last time. looking at their trend to begin the season and what they did when they played the steelers at full stride i see them scoring about 18-24 points. after the steelers faced them and got healthy they have averaged 29 points a game. i would be much more worried if it were ben coming off a bye week. i think the steelers are better off riding this wave of momentum. remember how flat they were after a 13 game winning streak when they faced the jets after the week of rest last year? to me, all this suggests the colts will have plenty of rust to knock off.

jax, balt, cleve, sd, pitt, n.e. and even the texans all run similar forms of the 3-4 or hybrids of it that have proven to slow the colts offense down. its a proven formula and one that will work. i added their 1st 3 game totals after much preseason rest to the total of the game vs. the steelers. divided by 4 and came up with 18 points per game. i was off with the steelers scoring 29 but the jerome fumble coulda very well been 28.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
How bout this.. how bout no rust, they were ready, we just simply outplayed them !

Da'Burgh
01-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I'd say overconfident, even better-outplayed.