PDA

View Full Version : This could size up as a monster AFC war

thumper
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I know, I know, one blown out ACL later (like last year) and it could all change. But as things stand right now, it looks like the battle to win the AFC this season could be insane, with the Steelers right in the middle of the hunt, in my opinion.

1. Pgh - Current world champs, who have done nothing but gotten better on paper (I know, I know - on paper, but sometimes it translates to real life.) OL - the weak link - has jelled for a season and has chemistry going for it (if not all the much talent, I know.) But chemistry is big. I am sure Ben will have the fellas over for another week at the lake house, further cementing the camaraderie of the guys. Plus new OG might be an upgrade. Getting the rookies from last year back this year is like having had two drafts this season, with Mendenhal ready to be a real contributor and punter offering way better than the rubbish we had after he went down. Sweed, without question, will be much more productive. Timmons will be a much bigger play maker than Foote. Ben will be even more seasoned after his 2nd SB win. He is approaching his prime.

Only potential fault - other than injuries, as always - is the loss of B-Mac. I am trusting the front office/coaching knows what they are doing in not sweating that position, but, to be honest, I believe whatever their plan is, it will still be a downgrade for this season in that spot over last year. No rookie or back up, is going to outperform what Mac gave us. No way. But with Timmons, etc. the opposing QB might have even less time to throw so it might not matter.

2. NE - With the best coach and QB in the league, you can't count them out. Their offense is ready to just blow threw the roof, with all those weapons and a pissed off Brady ready to tear everyone a new a-hole. But their D in is some what of a flux. Their front 7 is not nearly as beastly as it once was, with Seymore and company no longer being super human. Secondary is still suspect. But, bottom line, they should be formidable over all.

3. TN - Fisher just keeps putting out tough teams, other than his off years when he losses so much to free agency. He hasn't lost THAT much this year and he has depth. Lendell White has checked into OTAs down 20 pounds and looking hungry for first time in his career. Chris Johnson is a legit home run, every down runner. With a nice draft, TN could very well be a 12+ win team once again and a real threat in the play offs.

4. Indy/SD/Balt/Miami - not sure which one of these teams will remain a threat, but at least one of them will. You might scoff at Miami, but with Tuna, he usually keeps making advancement and he will have more talent than they had last year plus a better understanding from entire team on what they expect. Plus, J-Peezy said they are the team to beat in the East. LOL. I am not counting out Balt. even though they seemingly lost a lot on D. I just have a feeling they will find a way to keep the D very tough, with their QB now no longer a rookie with more play makers to work with.

Bottom line, Pgh is in it, but they will need some breaks, or at least, not bad breaks, to win the conference again. But there is no question, as we sit here and now, Pgh is right in the mix to win it again. But I suspect it will be a very competitive year. Got to like our schedule though. One could say, it was our nasty, tough schedule that put us in a hardened mode to win it all last year, which I don't disagree with. However, you don't want a schedule of wars all year long each season. I feel the cream puff schedule is a nice switch this season.

AllD
06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
If Brady is not mobile or goes down again, then you can rewrite this thread. Miami will be tough, but they don't have enough depth to go deep in the playoffs. The Chargers have Norv Turner which equals one and done. Indy should win their home games mostly, but on the road they could end up splitting. Too much coaching change for them to be considered going to the SB. TN lost their best defensive player and have a systems QB. They may struggle early and then come on towards the second half of the season. Fisher is a good coach, but he doesn;t have enough talent on the field.

I still say the Steelers have a better chance of repeating than any of the above mentioned teams even with the media hype for the Pats. All the team needs to do is stay healthy and we should win #7 which could look a lot like SB XIV.

JackHammer
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
If Brady is not mobile or goes down again, then you can rewrite this thread.

The problem is, it doesn't take much mobility to move around inside of the pocket like Brady does. He makes his living inside the pocket, not outside. He'll have to knock off some rust to be more nimble within the pocket, but beyond that I expect his knee to be strong enough to move within the pocket quite well. He has a solid o-line and weapons that will get open a lot. Once the rust is gone, and the timing is back, the plays will develop fast enough that he won't have to move very far at all because, more often than not, the ball will be out before the pressure gets to him. I'd worry more about how his knee holds up to him throwing off of it 30-40 times a game.

Psyychoward86
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Behind our o-line he'd get his neck snapped every game. Brady is hella NOT MOBILE. I'd say very comparable to Rivers, no joke. Have you guys seen him run his 40?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT_6SRdh9Nc

Hammer Of The GODS
06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
2. NE - With the best coach and QB in the league. :coffee:

Sorry this thread loses all validity with that statement.

C'mon man!

It is apparent that the media has brainwashed you like so many other naive people who have just swept the CHEATING under the rug.

Dude that statement just baffles the mind. The best in the league? Pfffft. They haven't won a title without the video help and blatent holding by the o-line. Belicheck and Brady will ALWAYS be cheating shitstains! Gooddeal made sure the refs looked the other way when the o-line held during thier ALMOST perfect season so that the whole cheating thing could be easier to dismiss. Once on the big stage and the WHOLE WORLD was watching the refs had to call the holding and therefor the Giants pass rush was able to smash that asschin in the mouth.

Belicheat and Marsha can swing from my ass hair! :mad:

Besides, if the Jets new rookie QB can come in and make some plays the Jets will win that division.

tony hipchest
06-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Besides, if the Jets new rookie QB can come in and make some plays the Jets will win that division.

talk about losing validity...

:toofunny:

devilsdancefloor
06-10-2009, 10:34 PM
indy is gonna fall apart with dungy,mudd,moore gone it is already affecting them peyton is crying about the assistant coaching staff already maybe a 10 win but doubt it

SD is on the slope backwards and wil continue the slide

ratbirds- their defense is falling by the wayside id be suprised if they do anything this year. i think film study of wacco wil catch up to him this year 8-8 tops

miami - fluke season last year might be 9-7 but i think that wins the division the the cheats

TN- might be a 10 to 12 win team

NE- karma starts to take over (and i have to agree with HotG on this one except the jets thing)

tony hipchest
06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
mudd and moore arent "gone".

they now have "front office advisory" positions.

LVSteelersfan
06-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Screw the Patsies. I don't think they did enough to replace their defensive players. A$$CHIN won't see the field enough to run the score up because teams will be doing that to them. Moss is getting old. Brady is a gimp. They screwed people every which way two years ago and people have LONG memories. Their schedule is tougher this year than last year so, although they may win their division, they will be playing on the road if they get past the Wild Card game where they get knocked out. No way they win every game this time around. Hopefully Belicheat finally gets fired after this season.

Steelers & I
06-11-2009, 12:02 AM
:coffee:

Sorry this thread loses all validity with that statement.

C'mon man!

It is apparent that the media has brainwashed you like so many other naive people who have just swept the CHEATING under the rug.

Dude that statement just baffles the mind. The best in the league? Pfffft. They haven't won a title without the video help and blatent holding by the o-line. Belicheck and Brady will ALWAYS be cheating shitstains! Gooddeal made sure the refs looked the other way when the o-line held during thier ALMOST perfect season so that the whole cheating thing could be easier to dismiss. Once on the big stage and the WHOLE WORLD was watching the refs had to call the holding and therefor the Giants pass rush was able to smash that asschin in the mouth.

Belicheat and Marsha can swing from my ass hair! :mad:

C'mon Man, you're better than that. Statements like that make you sound like a Cryhawks or Cardinals fan. :drink:

Galax Steeler
06-11-2009, 03:33 AM
I just don't see New England being where they were two or three years ago. I would love to see them drop out of the top spot of that division.

DACEB
06-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Only potential fault - other than injuries, as always - is the loss of B-Mac. I am trusting the front office/coaching knows what they are doing in not sweating that position, but, to be honest, I believe whatever their plan is, it will still be a downgrade for this season in that spot over last year. No rookie or back up, is going to outperform what Mac gave us.

I don't know about that Thumper. Gay played in B-Macs absence, and they split time even when B-Mac came back. I'm confident in Gay and DeShea is more than capable at #3. The depth could be looked at as a concern with more new and/or young guys, but Tomlin knows how to 'coach up' DBs.

DACEB
06-11-2009, 05:45 AM
I just don't see New England being where they were two or three years ago. I would love to see them drop out of the top spot of that division.

I agree, but what would be the fun in that. Don't you want the oppurtunity to stomp them every year?

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2009, 07:31 AM
TO BE THE MAN you have to BEAT THE MAN and right now, the Steelers are The Man

GBMelBlount
06-11-2009, 07:37 AM
I still say the Steelers have a better chance of repeating than any of the above mentioned teams.

I am going to go out on a limb here and GUARANTEE that no other team repeats. :chuckle:

mmalone
06-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Brady is now as mobile as Bernie Kosar was. Cut of his short route players and he is dead in the pocket. He cant wait for the plays to stretch out to far. He is done... only if the refs allow his OL to hold every play they have a shot at the AFC title.

this is another topic, but i believe the lack of holding calls on all OL's is the reason fullbacks are a dying breed. brady has a lot of plays with noone in the backfield.
it amazing to see woodley and harrison being basically tackled every game and no holding calls are made...

Steeldude
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
is the loss of B-Mac.

i never understood this belief. what has mcfadden ever done to suggest he better than average or even average? from what i remember he was PI prone and loved to dance after making a routine play.

SteelMember
06-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Yes, it's true they aren't gone, but if their pensions weren't tied to the market, they would be. They are just buying time to improve their payout. These guys are ready to give it up and take it easy, so they'll not be as active in the day to day things. Peyton is a competitor and will always play a tough game, but it will be his surrounding cast that will determine how good they can be. And without those two guys walking the sidelines every day, the teaching level has just gone down a little.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Ok, what people need to take into account is the other teams schedules on this list. First off, the Titans now have to play a First Place Schedule, and the AFC East and NFC West.

So with their first place schedule, they draw the Steelers and Chargers. Both tough games for them. Also, they play the Colts Twice, Jaguars Twice and Texans Twice. Not cotton candy there either. Then they play the AFC East, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins and Bills. Not so easy now is it? NFC West, Rams Cardinals Seahawks and 49ers. Who here thinks the Seahawks are really going to suck after all their off season moves? How about them 9ers? Think Singletary will just suck as a coach this season? Cardinals they can still throw the ball. Rams, that's a gimmie, if the Titans can score and stop Jackson from running over them.

SO really, the Titans aren't a 12 win team, not when you really look at their schedule.

I'm not talking really thinking any other AFC Team since we start with the Titans. But also remember the Ravens play the Colts and Patriots this year, because both of them finished 2nd in their Division. Not so easy that for the Ravens.

I'm not worried about the rest of the AFC, they need to be worried about the Steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Titans first 8 games:

At Steelers (loss)
Texans (win)
at Jets (toss up)
at Jaguars (likely loss)
Colts (loss)
at Patriots (loss)
Bi week
Jaguars (win figure split)
at 49ers (win)

at best they start 4-4. They won't even be a playoff team this year.

devilsdancefloor
06-11-2009, 11:23 AM

but they can not be on the sidelines holding peytons hand now.... so in affect they are gone

revefsreleets
06-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL.

John Fox and Jeff Fisher are better coaches than Belichick.

scsteeler
06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
2. NE - With the best coach and QB in the league, you can't count them out. Their offense is ready to just blow threw the roof, with all those weapons and a pissed off Brady ready to tear everyone a new a-hole. But their D in is some what of a flux. Their front 7 is not nearly as beastly as it once was, with Seymore and company no longer being super human. Secondary is still suspect. But, bottom line, they should be formidable over all.

While I think Bellicheat is a good coach and Brady is one of the Top QB's I don't know if I would say they are the best. Maybe with what they do in New England but overall I think they are in line with other great coaches and QB's such as my beloved Steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Randy went to NE to win a Super Bowl, if they start to Fade, or guys start going down and things look rough up in NE early on, how long til Randy becomes old Randy?

ayyfour
06-11-2009, 03:57 PM
i was just thinking, if it ends up us vs the pats for the afc championship we'd be playing for the right to win team of the decade. Itd be huge to see us finally overcome lord brady and cement ourselves in history as the team of the 2000's

OX1947
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
i was just thinking, if it ends up us vs the pats for the afc championship we'd be playing for the right to win team of the decade. Itd be huge to see us finally overcome lord brady and cement ourselves in history as the team of the 2000's

Agreed. This would be the perfect scenario. Beating the Pats in the AFC title game and then win another Super Bowl would cement this team as one of the best teams of the last 5 years. 3 titles in 5 years is how we have to look at it. Team of the Decade, both teams would have 3, so in my book, there really wasn't a team of the decade.

I think most are looking at this too narrowly. Forget about the decade, if the Steelers go on to win a 7th Super Bowl, they are pretty much cementing franchise dominance of the last 40 years. Since the Merger, they will have been a team that has won 7 titles, been to the most super bowls, tied with the Cowboys with 8 and did it with class and function of royalty. They will have been in 20% of the Super Bowls. That right there is what I call dominance of all decades.....

DACEB
06-11-2009, 05:07 PM
great post, OX1947

Big Ben is the best in the NFL, I've seen enough. I've seen what the 'supposed 2 best' do under pressure. To be a Steelers fan and say otherwise.... well?

tony hipchest
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
but they can not be on the sidelines holding peytons hand now.... so in affect they are gone

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11837836/cbsnews

Irsay said Tuesday he expects Moore and Mudd to resume their old jobs although Caldwell will make the final call.

theyre just skating around the nfl's newly changed pension plan. they will return in a supposedly reduced role while still doing what they used to with about the same play.

The Duke
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
i never understood this belief. what has mcfadden ever done to suggest he better than average or even average? from what i remember he was PI prone and loved to dance after making a routine play.

:applaudit:

Gay performed almost as good as BMac last year. He will only improve the defense

revefsreleets
06-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Woah...wait a SECOND!

Did I miss someone attributing Peyton Manning's success to coaches? Coordinators?

What about Arains then? He WAS instrumental in Manning's development right out of College.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
HA HA! That must mean that Arians....is good at what he does?

MaidenIndiana
06-11-2009, 08:28 PM

WHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! F**KIN A RIGHT:tt02:

thumper
06-11-2009, 08:51 PM

But to be fair, NE lost the league MVP for the season, used a QB who never even started a COLLEGE game, not to mention an pro game and STILL won 11 games. If they can win 11 games with a neophyte QB what will they do with arguably the best player in the NFL back at the helm.

Look, I ain't ready to anoint NE the NFL best, like the media is, but I am still not so much the zealot that I don't see reality for what it is. I know so many Steeler fans who constantly want to claim "NE/Brady/Belichick sucks" but I don't find that in agreement with the evidence at hand.

I still like Pgh's chances to win the AFC, but I am not so naive to not see potential threats to unseat us.

thumper
06-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Manning has one ring. I've seen him fold more times than I've seen Brady crack. Manning is very good when he is on but he is easier to knock off his game than is Brady

thumper
06-11-2009, 08:55 PM

While I think Bellicheat is a good coach and Brady is one of the Top QB's I don't know if I would say they are the best. Maybe with what they do in New England but overall I think they are in line with other great coaches and QB's such as my beloved Steelers.

I don't disagree with that. And after Ben wins his next ring, I will not classify Brady as the best. Ben is just getting in his real groove, Brady is trying to get BACK in his. If Ben keeps on pace, I'd say NO ONE should be considered "better."

thumper
06-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Randy went to NE to win a Super Bowl, if they start to Fade, or guys start going down and things look rough up in NE early on, how long til Randy becomes old Randy?

That's not going to happen, b/c NE won't turn into the Raiders no matter what. They are going to be competitive and win games, and under those conditions, Moss will be just fine. Moss was immature when he came into the league, then he was in Oakland, which can ruin just about anyone. He will never have any behavior problems in NE

thumper
06-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't know about that Thumper. Gay played in B-Macs absence, and they split time even when B-Mac came back. I'm confident in Gay and DeShea is more than capable at #3. The depth could be looked at as a concern with more new and/or young guys, but Tomlin knows how to 'coach up' DBs.

I hope you're right. But I have always thought Mac was underrated. He is always on his man like glue and also was good in run support. He is very talented and motivated.

thumper
06-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Titans first 8 games:

At Steelers (loss)
Texans (win)
at Jets (toss up)
at Jaguars (likely loss)
Colts (loss)
at Patriots (loss)
Bi week
at 49ers (win)

Likely loss at Jax? Did you see Jags last year? Are you aware how TN typically owns the Jags? I'd say they will be more like 6-2, not 4-4

BlockMonsta
06-11-2009, 10:30 PM
But to be fair, NE lost the league MVP for the season, used a QB who never even started a COLLEGE game, not to mention an pro game and STILL won 11 games. If they can win 11 games with a neophyte QB what will they do with arguably the best player in the NFL back at the helm.

Look, I ain't ready to anoint NE the NFL best, like the media is, but I am still not so much the zealot that I don't see reality for what it is. I know so many Steeler fans who constantly want to claim "NE/Brady/Belichick sucks" but I don't find that in agreement with the evidence at hand.

I still like Pgh's chances to win the AFC, but I am not so naive to not see potential threats to unseat us.

Look at what Cassel had to work with, I am sure a good % of back up QB's in the leauge could do well with what Cassel had around him. Also who knows how well Brady will due on his return. Remember how Manning played for the first part of the season?..not well.

triphahn
06-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Every year is a war.

lilyoder6
06-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Manning has one ring. I've seen him fold more times than I've seen Brady crack. Manning is very good when he is on but he is easier to knock off his game than is Brady

and what connects both players SB wins... Adam vinatieri

LVSteelersfan
06-12-2009, 12:42 AM
Brady sucks. Manning sucks. Collins really sucks. No problem.

fansince'76
06-12-2009, 07:26 AM
But to be fair, NE lost the league MVP for the season, used a QB who never even started a COLLEGE game, not to mention an pro game and STILL won 11 games....

....against the easiest schedule in the league. When they played a rare game against a decent team last season (see the game against us as an example), they generally got thumped. 3 of their 5 losses were by 20+ points. IMO, if they'd have played against the absolute meatgrinder of a schedule we played against, they would have been lucky to finish 8-8 and probably would have wound up closer to the neighborhood of 5-11/6-10 or thereabouts. I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have beaten the Giants, Eagles or Titans. I have serious doubts that they would have been able to win so much as one game, much less two, against the Ravens. And assuming they wouldn't have gotten bailed out by the weather in Foxboro, I also think Romo would have been given literally hours of pocket time against their anemic pass rush and would have picked their questionable (at best) secondary apart. That's 4-6 more losses right there if they would have played against our schedule instead of the (mostly) cupcake schedule they got. Not impressed, sorry.

revefsreleets
06-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Brady plays in the most QB-friendly system in the league. Cassel proved that last year.

Manning built his own system.

Both are immobile, and both benefit from OL's never called for holding, but Manning has a quicker release and is much more cerebral. I take Manning any day, o any team, in any system over Brady.

By the way, both would struggle behind the Steelers OL.

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Likely loss at Jax? Did you see Jags last year? Are you aware how TN typically owns the Jags? I'd say they will be more like 6-2, not 4-4

Look you can "figure" what ever your pretty little heart desires. I say they split with the Jaguars this year because they had a SOFT schedule early on last season and over achieved. Now they have lost their best talent on Defense, don't have any studs to catch the ball, have a QB controversy brewing, have a fat tub of shiiiit as a running back, aren't going to surprise anyone this year and start off playing in Pittsburgh so starting 0-1 is not going to be great for their moral. And since I'm usualy Right with my predictions, I'll stick with them Splitting with the Jags.

Plus, Jeff Fisher is a Tool Bag. That's not opinion. Its Fact.

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM

You are Naive if you believe the Pats were really that good last year.

don't just look at the record, look at Who they played and beat and lost to.

Wins:
Cheifs
Jets
49ers
Broncos
Rams
Bills
Dolphins
Seahawks
Raiders
Cardinals (at home in a snow storm in December)
Bills

Losses:
Dolphins
Chargers
Colts
Jets
Steelers

So when the Mighty Cassel Lead Patriots played Anyone worth a Crap, they got Beat.

HughC
06-12-2009, 04:15 PM
How would New England have done with the Steelers' schedule last year?
Here's my guess:

W - Texans
W - at Browns
L - at Eagles
L - Ravens
W - at Jaguars
W - at Bengals
L - Giants
W - at Redskins
L - Colts
L - Chargers
W - Bengals
L - Steelers
L - Cowboys
L - at Ravens
L - at Titans
W - Browns

That's 7-9. They did play well the last month of the season once Cassel had some experience and rhythm with Moss and their OL got healthy, so maybe they beat the Cowboys and/or Ravens for an 8-8 or 9-7 record. Definitely would not have been an 11-win season but I wouldn't go so far as to say they would have only won five games.

mmalone
06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
brady is done, he is slow and now he is really slow, if he wears the knee brace all year he is a bernie kosar. ouch.........

T Bradshaw
06-13-2009, 08:10 AM

STUPID POST

BOTH STILL HAVE NOT WON JACK SHIT WITHOUT CHEATING

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:02 PM

Oh I don't know. It's simple really. I have rarely seen him get beat and when he does he is a hair away from making the play - never gets flat out burnt that I recall. And he always seems to come up big in big games (AFC play off vs. Indy comes to mind.) I am _guessing_ that the staff knows his value better than I do, but honestly, I think he is _underrated_ if anything.

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:03 PM

Three rings vs. a combined zero. Sorry, that's simply not true. You guys can hate the hoody all you want, but he's an excellent coach.

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Look at what Cassel had to work with, I am sure a good % of back up QB's in the leauge could do well with what Cassel had around him. Also who knows how well Brady will due on his return. Remember how Manning played for the first part of the season?..not well.

Cassel wasn't just any back up; he was a back up with zero NFL playing experience AND no experience as a college starter as well. I know he made the roster for a reason but you can't replace experience. And, sure he had players around him, but it's still pretty impressive that they squeezed 11 wins out. And let's not forget their defense was not up to par compared to other recent seasons.

And with Manning, he wasn't able to practice with his team at all, leading up to the season. Brady already is. Brady won't be nearly as rusty as Manning, if at all.

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Brady sucks. Manning sucks. Collins really sucks. No problem.

Typical Steeler fan: Every coach and player in the league sucks other than Steelers. If that were true, then I guess winning a Super Bowl is meaningless.

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:29 PM
....against the easiest schedule in the league. When they played a rare game against a decent team last season (see the game against us as an example), they generally got thumped. 3 of their 5 losses were by 20+ points. IMO, if they'd have played against the absolute meatgrinder of a schedule we played against, they would have been lucky to finish 8-8 and probably would have wound up closer to the neighborhood of 5-11/6-10 or thereabouts. I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have beaten the Giants, Eagles or Titans. I have serious doubts that they would have been able to win so much as one game, much less two, against the Ravens. And assuming they wouldn't have gotten bailed out by the weather in Foxboro, I also think Romo would have been given literally hours of pocket time against their anemic pass rush and would have picked their questionable (at best) secondary apart. That's 4-6 more losses right there if they would have played against our schedule instead of the (mostly) cupcake schedule they got. Not impressed, sorry.

They destroyed the Cards, beat the Jets, Fins, Denver, etc. It's not as if they only beat the worst teams in the NFL. But point taken. They did have any easy schedule. But this is the NFL, not the Big 12. There are no patsies, besides Cleveland and Detroit and they played neither. Winning 11 games with a QB who never started a college game is still pretty impressive, even with a relatively easy schedule.

Brady is as competitive as a player as I have ever seen. And Belichick a warlock of a coach. NE will likely be a handful this year, even if their D is down a little.

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:31 PM
You are Naive if you believe the Pats were really that good last year.

don't just look at the record, look at Who they played and beat and lost to.

Wins:
Cheifs
Jets
49ers
Broncos
Rams
Bills
Dolphins
Seahawks
Raiders
Cardinals (at home in a snow storm in December)
Bills

Losses:
Dolphins
Chargers
Colts
Jets
Steelers

So when the Mighty Cassel Lead Patriots played Anyone worth a Crap, they got Beat.

They beat Miami, Denver, Cards and Jets. Not exactly Hell's kitchen but still. And if Pgh didn't get 5 turn overs, that game could have gone much different. No one wins against a decent team with 5 turn over.

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:31 PM
How would New England have done with the Steelers' schedule last year?
Here's my guess:

W - Texans
W - at Browns
L - at Eagles
L - Ravens
W - at Jaguars
W - at Bengals
L - Giants
W - at Redskins
L - Colts
L - Chargers
W - Bengals
L - Steelers
L - Cowboys
L - at Ravens
L - at Titans
W - Browns

That's 7-9. They did play well the last month of the season once Cassel had some experience and rhythm with Moss and their OL got healthy, so maybe they beat the Cowboys and/or Ravens for an 8-8 or 9-7 record. Definitely would not have been an 11-win season but I wouldn't go so far as to say they would have only won five games.

How would Pgh have done missing Big Ben for the entire season?

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:33 PM
brady is done, he is slow and now he is really slow, if he wears the knee brace all year he is a bernie kosar. ouch.........

Let's make a bet on this. I bet Brady is in the top 3 of QBs in the AFC this season, or higher, in terms of passing rating and TDs and wins.

thumper
06-13-2009, 04:35 PM
STUPID POST

BOTH STILL HAVE NOT WON JACK SHIT WITHOUT CHEATING

This smells of troglodyte thinking. Note the cap lock.

Hyperion
06-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Titans first 8 games:

At Steelers (loss)
Texans (win)
at Jets (toss up)
at Jaguars (likely loss)
Colts (loss)
at Patriots (loss)
Bi week
at 49ers (win)

I think your 'analysis'
is quite biased against the Titans. It really shows when you list the Jags as a likely loss while counting the Colts in Nashville as a loss. This goes without mentioning the Jets who will likely be throwing out a rookie QB for his third start as a tossup. I'm willing to bet the Titans go 4-2 or better in the AFC South.

My guess is 5-3 or 6-2 to start the year and the schedule is pretty favorable toward the end. I think the Titans are a 9 win team at worst, 12 win team at best and most likely a 10 or 11 win team next year.Obviously the road trips to New England and Pittsburgh appear to be the most difficult games but I don't think winning either of those games is out of the realm of possibility, just as I don't think it's a sure thing that the Titans beat the 49ers on the West Coast as you seem to think.

The AFC is clearly the better conference and whoever represents it in the SB will have earned it.