PDA

View Full Version : Kimo von Oelhoffen..working for the..BROWNS!?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-11-2009, 08:16 PM
“The other person that we have here who is going to be helping us out through training camp, is a name that is probably familiar to most of you in the room, is Kimo von Oelhoffen. He did the bulk of his work with the Steelers and then he came over to the Jets. We picked him up as a free agent. I got to know Kimo really well during that process. I think he is an incredible pro. He is a guy that even though he worked in a 3-4 system, he had to transition into more of a true two gap philosophy. That will be really valuable from a teaching perspective for a lot of the guys. As I said, he is one of the best pros I have been around.”

(On what Kimo von Oelhoffen’s role will be) – “He is going to be one of our minority interns on the coaching staff through training camp. He is learning about the coaching side and he will help Bryan (Cox) with the defensive line and the defense in general.”

http://www.my247forums.com/showthread.php?p=187857#post187857

Must say this is interesting to say the least. I hope he succeeds here.

revefsreleets
06-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Imitation is the highest from of flattery. And, God knows, SOMEONE needs to teach those guys how to play defense. Why not the very best of the best? Why not an ex-Steeler?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Imitation is the highest from of flattery. And, God knows, SOMEONE needs to teach those guys how to play defense. Why not the very best of the best? Why not an ex-Steeler?

Sort of like the Steelers taking two of our Former players for head coach? :D.

We've both traded players and coaches so much it's almost like we're Brothers that can't stand each other or something. (Carson, Noll, and Cowher obvious examples)

Really, If he's smart and can help us out I'm all for it. Mangini's bringing in a really different attitude to this team. Whether it works or not we won't know still the end of 2011 IMO.

NJarhead
06-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Sort of like the Steelers taking two of our Former players for head coach? :D.

We've both traded players and coaches so much it's almost like we're Brothers that can't stand each other or something. (Carson, Noll, and Cowher obvious examples)

Really, If he's smart and can help us out I'm all for it. Mangini's bringing in a really different attitude to this team. Whether it works or not we won't know still the end of 2011 IMO.

I personally don't have much faith in Mangini, but like you said, let's see what happens.

I'd like to see Kimo succeed in coaching, just not too much with the Browns.....Wait, actually I wouldn't mind some competition from Cleveland for a change. Our rivalry means next to nothing right now.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I personally don't have much faith in Mangini, but like you said, let's see what happens.

I'd like to see Kimo succeed in coaching, just not too much with the Browns.....Wait, actually I wouldn't mind some competition from Cleveland for a change. Our rivalry means next to nothing right now.

I keep saying it.

Who would you rather have as a rival?

A bunch of fellow blue collar fans who live, breath and die football, and love to hate the other team.

Or...

The Rats?

We've learned to hate the Steelers since birth, I really wish you guys could share in that hate except against the Brownies ;). I hate being the Northern Bengals.

NJarhead
06-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I keep saying it.

Who would you rather have as a rival?

A bunch of fellow blue collar fans who live, breath and die football, and love to hate the other team.

Or...

The Rats?

We've learned to hate the Steelers since birth, I really wish you guys could share in that hate except against the Brownies ;). I hate being the Northern Bengals.

Speaking only for myself, I find it very difficult to hate the lowly Brownies right now. The Ravens however are another story. :chuckle:

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Speaking only for myself, I find it very difficult to hate the lowly Brownies right now. The Ravens however are another story. :chuckle:

It's sort of hard to hate a team that can't even put up a fight., which I can sort of understand.

Right now my hatred for Meatchicken is slipping a bit, owning them the last couple of years, they're almost getting pretty sad...and I almost..take...pity for them...ALMOST. :)

A rivalry is at it's best when both teams are constantly fighting for the top spot. Something the Browns really havn't been able to do the Steelers since '94.

CantStop85
06-11-2009, 09:32 PM

Don't forget, he was a Bengal first. :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
KIMO!!!!!!!! God I loved that guy.

NJarhead
06-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Right up until we rescued him. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
06-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Good players CAN have the reeking stench of failure washed off them. Kimo was born anew when he donned the Black and Gold.

Asa Brown? Doomed to failure as all who go to that cursed franchise...

HometownGal
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
KIMO!!!!!!!! God I loved that guy.

I loved Kimo too and was sad to see him go to the Jets, but hey - if he wants to take a shot at coaching I say more power to him. :drink:

Galax Steeler
06-14-2009, 05:14 AM

He finally saw the light and went to a good team.:wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
06-14-2009, 06:51 AM
You can have as much good coaching as you want...but when you don't have talent to coach or head coaching that works with the scheme...good coaching by assistant coaches does no good.

From what I have read, Mangini's 3-4 is going to be close to a mirror image of Crennell's.

Romeo's 3-4 seemed predicated on the defensive linemen getting to the QB instead of linebackers and therefore failed.

The most successful 3-4 teams are the Steelers, Patriots, and Chargers because they use the 3-4 scheme the correct way.

CanadianSteel
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Kimo could probably start on that defence... bets of luck just not against my Steelers...

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM

And he was a very good defender as a Bengal too. Good luck to him, hopefully he has a career in coaching.