PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ziggy

Preacher
06-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Ok. I was doing some surfing and came across a few things about Ziggy Hood that made me wonder.

1. Ziggy is 6-2 1/2, 300 pounds. He ran a 4.88 at the combine, and a 4.83 thereafter, BECAUSE HE DIDNT LIKE THE COMBINE NUMBERS. Yeah, he went home and workedout to get better numbers. What does THAT say about the guy... but that isn't part of the question.

2. At the combine, he was ranked first among the draft's defensive tackles in 10-yard burst (1.62 seconds), 20-yard burst (2.81 seconds) and shuttle run (4.55 seconds).
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09116/965729-66.stm#ixzz0ICxJuwGs&D

3. In comparison, He is taller, skinnier, and faster than B.J. Rajii, with less character issues, 30 pounds less weight.

Now...

Is it just me, or does it seem that Ziggy has the bigger upside? He doesn't struggle with weight, but is a full inch to inch and a half taller. He DEFINITELY has the frame to put on another 10 to 15 pounds with it not affecting too much of his speed. 315 aint a bad playing weight there.

Some draft guru's (choke) say that he doesn't have the ability to be an anchor... but how do they say that? Again, he benched (by 1) more than Rajii and moved faster than him. Is it ONLY because of the weight? That is easy to fix. http://cfn.scout.com/2/840504.html

Then, have any of you read about the kid and his character? Check out this article when he was drafted. Read especially what his girlfriend and best friend says about him, and them. You are judged by the company you keep. . . and this kid is impressive. Both of them seem to have a head on their shoulders. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09116/965729-66.stm

So in the end my questions are...

1. How can this kid be seen as not having a high ceiling? Even though some think he has already maxed out, the metrix and the attitude say different.

2. How in the world do we continue to get high-calibur, high-character players?

3. How can Rajii be rated as so much better, with such a great upside, when this kids' metrics beat Rajii's in most places, INCLUDING second team academic all american.

3b. Do you think he is scared of Harrison yet? :chuckle:

Steelers & I
06-12-2009, 06:42 AM
The only pre-draft knock that I heard about Hood was that his lower body strength wasn't so great. I don't know??? That sounds like an easy fix to me. :noidea:

Nice research Preacher, it does look as if the Steelers aquired the best overall D-Lineman in the draft.

Hapa
06-12-2009, 07:25 AM
I love the speed and agility he has but if his lower body strength is bad, that's a huge issue. Guys have to build that up all the way from high school, it's not something you can fix in one offseason.

Lower body strength is MUCH more important than any bench press or upper body lift. I don't understand why the combine tests the bench press, it really is pointless. How much someone can squat or power clean is a much better indication of their power.

BubbyBrister
06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Ok. I was doing some surfing and came across a few things about Ziggy Hood that made me wonder.

1. What does THAT say about the guy... but that isn't part of the question.

It says that he felt lower numbers might get him drafted higher, or in the first round.
You'd be surprised how motivating a few extra million dollars can be :)

On a more serious note, I like the extra effort.

BubbyBrister
06-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Lower body strength is MUCH more important than any bench press or upper body lift. I don't understand why the combine tests the bench press, it really is pointless. How much someone can squat or power clean is a much better indication of their power.

True.

However, they are also much more dangerous lifts. Not to mention the amount of weight that they would put up on a squat...you couldn't really have spotters.

I'm sure that with the Bench, these guys pretty much push to failure and the spotters catch/guide the weight, since even 1 rep short of what you were expected to get can mean a big money difference.

Going to failure, or pushing so hard on a squat that you pass out (happens) in order to save a few $$$ would probably be a bad idea, and poor asset management for the league.

Preacher
06-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I love the speed and agility he has but if his lower body strength is bad, that's a huge issue. Guys have to build that up all the way from high school, it's not something you can fix in one offseason.

One offseason no, but over a couple offseason, you definitely can make a big difference. Squats do WONDERS for legs. The bigger question is whether he has a large percentage of quick twitch or slow twitch muscle. If he was able to improve his time by .05 seconds in just a few weeks, I have a feeling he has a decent percentage of fast twitch muscle, and that can be built, quite fast comparatively.

triphahn
06-12-2009, 07:27 PM
The Steelers obviously put a great deal of time, effort and manpower into evaluating their draft picks. They rely so heavily on the draft that a bad pick can set them back quite a bit. I am going to go out on a limb and say hood is going to be a bad ass in the NFL.

The Definiti0n
06-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I seen alot of draft boards having him rated higher than Tyson Jackson and Perry. I think this years draft was another case of teams reaching for need instead of taking BPA. Thus allowing another stud to land in our lap. I.E. Mendenhall

steelreserve
06-12-2009, 08:21 PM
3. How can Rajii be rated as so much better, with such a great upside, when this kids' metrics beat Rajii's in most places, INCLUDING second team academic all american.

I don't know, but I have to say everything I've seen of Raji was damn impressive. It seriously looked like his opponents were trying to block a bull. I wouldn't rate him as anything less than a top-of-the-line DT prospect; maybe one of the most game-ready DTs to come straight out of college in years.

Why Hood isn't considered on the same level, I don't know. Might have to do with the fact that Raji is a true nose tackle, which are considered a higher-value pick than a DE propect because they're harder to come by. Or maybe Hood somehow flew under the radar. But while I understand Raji going high just based on pure explosiveness, I cant explain why 6 other DLs went ahead of Hood.

But I'm glad they did, because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten him!

Preacher
06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't know, but I have to say everything I've seen of Raji was damn impressive. It seriously looked like his opponents were trying to block a bull. I wouldn't rate him as anything less than a top-of-the-line DT prospect; maybe one of the most game-ready DTs to come straight out of college in years.

Why Hood isn't considered on the same level, I don't know. Might have to do with the fact that Raji is a true nose tackle, which are considered a higher-value pick than a DE propect because they're harder to come by. Or maybe Hood somehow flew under the radar. But while I understand Raji going high just based on pure explosiveness, I cant explain why 6 other DLs went ahead of Hood.

But I'm glad they did, because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten him!

Yep.

And you make a good point about the difference between a true nose guard and a DE.

I just wonder what happens if this kid puts on the 30 pounds, preferably in muscle, lower body especially, as he already seems to have the upper body muscle.

MasterOfPuppets
06-12-2009, 09:02 PM
i'll sum it up in 2 words... game film...:popcorn:

what exactly is raji's character issue.... i know he had academic problems.... maybe the guy just isn't that intelligent...is that actually a character issue?

lilyoder6
06-12-2009, 09:02 PM
well imo the reason he didn't get the rating and the attention like raji...

is b/c he played on MU's defense, that team and the whole conference is known for their high scoring offenses,. so def players rly get over-shadowed, there may be a few that get some good att, like orakpo.. but who else?

lilyoder6
06-12-2009, 09:03 PM
oh.. and for the weight.. just make hampton his mentor on putting on weight.. he would be a good teacher i think

Psyychoward86
06-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Wow. I love what im hearing. Might not seem like a big deal, but it takes commitment to have a girlfriend for 4 years at his youthful age. It's starting to feel like once again, the Steelers FO proves the doubters wrong. Make us proud kiddo :tt:

mmalone
06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
i'll sum it up in 2 words... game film...:popcorn:

what exactly is raji's character issue.... i know he had academic problems.... maybe the guy just isn't that intelligent...is that actually a character issue?

rajis issue is he is huge and his ankles and calfs are small. good luck in the nfl.

Preacher
06-13-2009, 01:57 AM
Wow. I love what im hearing. Might not seem like a big deal, but it takes commitment to have a girlfriend for 4 years at his youthful age. It's starting to feel like once again, the Steelers FO proves the doubters wrong. Make us proud kiddo :tt:

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that. Very impressive.

The Duke
06-13-2009, 04:08 AM
I seen alot of draft boards having him rated higher than Tyson Jackson and Perry. I think this years draft was another case of teams reaching for need instead of taking BPA. Thus allowing another stud to land in our lap. I.E. Mendenhall

Jackson's rise the least few days really surprised me. imo....

1. Raji
2. Hood
3. Jackson

Raji is a true NT so he's the best of the group

great research Preacher :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
06-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Make us proud kiddo :tt:

I am sure he will the FO saw something in him that they wanted in the first round. So I hope they got them a gem.

mmalone
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
sorry calves..... to many penguin beers, i should stay off the keyboard...

Psyychoward86
06-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Btw how does Raji have character issues. He was accused of using marijuana that one time, but they found out he never did. The Packers are also a team that doesnt like players with character issues. So i dont think they would pick up Raji if he was like that.

Texasteel
06-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I though Hood was a bit of a steal when we got him. He is way more versatile than either Jackson, or Perry.
( Still see Jackson as a huge mistake )

Think he could be able to play DT,if we do want to play a little 4-3, or DE for us.

The team I think made the biggest mistake on him was Denver.

tony hipchest
06-13-2009, 01:32 PM
i never considered drafting hood as it was pretty much a consensus and foregone conclusion that he would be the BPA for the colts, or falcons (if not the bucs) when they picked.

we lucked out.

Pat and tim discused his position a bit yesterday on their sirius show. he was brought in to be the 5 tecnique and spell (and eventually replace) aaron and/or brett. they did say he was strong enough to handle the nose but we have hoke who is better, and the only way we see ziggy there is if both hampton and hoke were injured.

another tiny tidbit that just adds to his character is that he was a weekly guest on their show leading up to the draft. they do this with dozens of prospects from 1st rounders to guys who may not even be drafted. (some of whom only appear once).

they tell the youngsters the interviews will be tough and they will ask them the hard questions that they can expect when they go on team visits with FO personnel, such as what their diet is, training regimen, best examples theyve put on gamefilm, what they can do in different game situations, etc.

they then tell the prospect that cd's of the interview will be made and sent out to any gm in the league who wants it for scouting purposes.

this shows a lack of fear in the kid, and that they have nothing to hide. this also shows a level of commitment and responsibility that otherwise might not be seen by the teams (or fans such as me who listen in).

these kids are busy leading up to the draft, with training, personal work outs, flying across the land to different nfl cities, signing and keeping endorsement deals, family, and they have no real incentive to commit to a weekly radio spot to be grilled.

the ones who do it love football and ziggy is one. the last player we drafted who made this weekly commitment was lamaar woodley and he turned out pretty damn good (and is quite the engaging fellow, btw).

Hapa
06-13-2009, 02:12 PM
True.

However, they are also much more dangerous lifts. Not to mention the amount of weight that they would put up on a squat...you couldn't really have spotters.

I'm sure that with the Bench, these guys pretty much push to failure and the spotters catch/guide the weight, since even 1 rep short of what you were expected to get can mean a big money difference.

Going to failure, or pushing so hard on a squat that you pass out (happens) in order to save a few $$$ would probably be a bad idea, and poor asset management for the league.

I'm sure he squats at least once a week, probably more, and we squat all the time to failure. No one on my team has ever gotten hurt.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets

Btw how does Raji have character issues. He was accused of using marijuana that one time, but they found out he never did. The Packers are also a team that doesnt like players with character issues. So i dont think they would pick up Raji if he was like that.

I think the "character" thing comes from two sources:

1) His reported "failed drug test", which the NFL has confirmed was a false report and..

2) His missing a full season in college due to "academic issues" which is a legitimate concern.