PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Steelers' coach needs to get better

mesaSteeler
06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Tomlin: Steelers' coach needs to get better
http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/state/pennsylvania/20090611_ap_tomlinsteelerscoachneedstogetbetter.ht ml
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - Mike Tomlin knows there's one area where the Pittsburgh Steelers can improve: Their coaching.

The Steelers won the Super Bowl during his second season as coach, but Tomlin was as critical of himself as he was his players while making his offseason evaluations. He didn't reveal his self-given grade, but it was far from perfect.

"I better get better," Tomlin said Thursday. "That's the nature of this thing. And getting better doesn't necessarily mean a better outcome; I understand that. I'm always trying to be the best I can be. I'm as critical of myself as I am of anyone. I think that's appropriate from a leadership standpoint.

"Hopefully I'll do a cleaner, more efficient job of that here in '09."

There was little discussion about the Super Bowl as the Steelers went through 18 optional spring practices that ended Thursday. There will be review work with the rookies and less-experienced players next week, but most veteran players won't return until training camp opens July 31.

The Steelers handed out their Super Bowl rings at a private party Tuesday but, otherwise, Tomlin said, "Where we're headed is my focus."

There was little news generated during the optional practices, although Tomlin said:

,Limas Sweed, a second-round pick last year, isn't necessarily the front-runner to replace Nate Washington as the No. 3 receiver. Washington signed with Tennessee.

"We're not going to be a slave to what someone's capable of doing from an assignment standpoint in determining who the No. 3 receiver is," Tomlin said. "We have some flexibility with the other two."

Hines Ward could move into the slot at times when the Steelers use three receivers, so the No. 3 receiver won't necessarily be a split end or a slot receiver.

,Dennis Dixon, the former Oregon quarterback, could push Charlie Batch to be Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

"What he's capable of doing above the neck will ultimately determine that," Tomlin said. "Does he have the ability to be competitive in this game? Absolutely."

FSUBoo
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
This is an example of why I love Mike Tomlin as our head coach. He won the Super Bowl in his second season as coach, and he isn't even satisfied with that and says he can get better. How often have you heard Bill Belicheck or other glamour coaches saying things like that?

truesteelerfan
06-12-2009, 09:45 AM
I love Tomlin! I also loved Cowher, but probably fall into the category that once he won the big one, his motivation the next season lacked. Tomlin isn't satisfied with one championship, he wants to be a legend! Have we resigned him to a contract extention yet?

Indo
06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Tomlin, IMO, is the Best coach in the league...
and this (the idea that he still needs to improve) is why...

He won't sit on his laurels or ever be satified with being "good enough".
That's the mark of a true Champion
The Rooneys/FO outdid themselves with this one...

And to think I was pissed off when they didn't promote Whiz ! What a dumbass I am!

SteelMember
06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Some of these things sound reminiscent of Chuck Noll. He was never satisfied. He always was trying new things in training camp. Whatever the team achieved, there was always more to do. Noll was quiet, and a man of few words, but what he did say motivated those guys to do great things. I think Tomlin is a guy that is almost a hybrid of Noll and Cowher. Tomlin can be very cerebral like Chuck, but is more vocal, interacts with the players, and shows emotion more like Bill. I know, he never shows his emotions. :rolleyes:

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
my best friend and I were discussing Tomlin the other day and we both seemed to agree, its very unlikely we get 10 years out of this guy. He's way too intense and too driven. My buddy seems to think he'll demand a huge dollar amount because of his talent, I think he'll burn out. Either way, I'll be surprised if he stays as the Steelers coach past the 2018 Season. Pleasently Surprised but still, surprised.

Galax Steeler
06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
my best friend and I were discussing Tomlin the other day and we both seemed to agree, its very unlikely we get 10 years out of this guy. He's way too intense and too driven. My buddy seems to think he'll demand a huge dollar amount because of his talent, I think he'll burn out. Either way, I'll be surprised if he stays as the Steelers coach past the 2018 Season. Pleasently Surprised but still, surprised.

If he stays till 2018 that is awhile off so maybe we can set back and watch him for awhile and maybe longer.

HometownGal
06-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Coach T is such a driven man, but yet so humble. We as Steelers fans were blessed when the Rooneys decided to make him our guy. :drink:

Dennis Dixon, the former Oregon quarterback, could push Charlie Batch to be Ben Roethlisberger's backup

:hope: :hope: :hope:

Texasteel
06-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Coach T is such a driven man, but yet so humble. We as Steelers fans were blessed when the Rooneys decided to make him our guy. :drink:

:hope: :hope: :hope:

I've seen the Rooney organization make mistakes on player, but I have never seen them make a mistake on a coach.:hatsoff:

You right it is time for Dixon to take control of that # 2 spot.:thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe we can start having a backup QB hold on FGs and Extra Points so we can have the Option of a Fake once in a while.

Been waiting for that for years now.

Preacher
06-12-2009, 04:49 PM

I don't know. This is the same man that said, "Football is what I do, it is not who I am. It is not my life." So I think he does have a good balance. Furthermore, he seems like the type of guy that likes stability and control. You won't find many front offices that are willing to give you the long leash the Rooney's give their head coaches. . . and then not hang you with that leash. Look at what happens in so many other front offices. No, Tomlin has a great situation, and the intelligence to know that as well.