PDA

View Full Version : Three years for Summers FB - Lewis CB - Burnett CB

mmalone
06-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Steelers sign three draft picks
Friday, June 12, 2009
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

The NFL calendar is made of up a number of different seasons. There’s the preseason, the regular season and the postseason, of course. There’s the offseason, which for the Steelers ended on Thursday, June 11 with the conclusion of the final OTA.

There’s also the time between the end of the offseason and the beginning of the preseason, and that has come to be known as the signing season. Between now and the opening of training camps is when most teams come to agreements with their draft picks, and the Steelers began their signing season by working out contracts with three of their draft picks – Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett and Frank Summers.

Lewis, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound cornerback, was the second of the team’s two third-round picks. Burnett, a 5-9, 192-pound cornerback from Central Florida, and Frank Summers, the 5-9, 240-pound running back, were selected on consecutive picks by the Steelers in the fifth round of the 2009 draft.

Lewis, Burnett and Summers all signed three-year deals.

In a related move, the Steelers released veteran punter Dirk Johnson.

Johnson, 33, was entering his eighth NFL season and had punted for New Orleans, Philadelphia, Chicago and Arizona during a career in which he averaged 41.7 yards on 320 punts.

The signings of Lewis, Burnett and Summers were the first of the team’s nine draft picks. The Steelers open training camp on July 31 at Saint Vincent College.

Galax Steeler
06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
This is some good news now lets get the rest of them signed.

mmalone
06-12-2009, 03:46 PM
If the tank is a BUS, sept. cant come fast enough.

Galax Steeler
06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
If the tank is a BUS, sept. cant come fast enough.

I keep counting the days but they just drag by but hopefully we will get to see some football before long.:drink:

lilyoder6
06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
good to see the steelers get some signings done... it's a start

fansince'76
06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Hopefully it's just to add a camp body, but I'm a little concerned about the punter signing, especially in light of recent reports about Sep STILL not punting....

Dino 6 Rings
06-12-2009, 05:04 PM
TANK!!!!

Yeah, I hope we run a little I formation once in a while and do the sneaky inside FB hand off to this guy once in a while.

Good times.

Texasteel
06-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Hopefully it's just to add a camp body, but I'm a little concerned about the punter signing, especially in light of recent reports about Sep STILL not punting....

Oh man, don't say that. I couldn't take another season of last years punts.

fansince'76
06-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Never mind - I misread it the first time around. They RELEASED Johnson as opposed to signing him. Reading (comprehension) is fundamental. :doh:

stillers4me
06-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Dirk was released today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09163/976972-100.stm

Preacher
06-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Actually, he wasn't signed, he was released. Don't forget Sep. had orthoscopic surgery a few weeks ago which means he definitely wasn't ready for OTA's.

I don't have a problem with this at all. Not yet. Now if he doesn't punt in camp, I have aproblem.

And I suspect they WILL bring in a couple other punters so they don't wear out Sep's leg while he is still gaining strength back.

Preacher
06-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Never mind - I misread it the first time around. They RELEASED Johnson as opposed to signing him. Reading (comprehension) is fundamental. :doh:

:chuckle:

Galax Steeler
06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
From what I have read Supelvada has already been doing some punting in otas.

mmalone
06-12-2009, 11:00 PM
no worries on the punter... as it reads out.
sep is in.

summers is the highlight here. i think for the next few years summers will make us happy.

if smmers is a force to be dealt with the OL will be happier in every game.

revefsreleets
06-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Congrats to the Steelers. Getting these signings done early is yet just another indicator of why this is the best franchise in the NFL...

Psyychoward86
06-13-2009, 09:20 AM
I cant wait for 3 years of The Tank.

mulldog24
06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I really hope that "TANK" is another bus.I really miss the bruising running game of old. And with Mendenhall healthy this could be a repeat year!!!!!!!

Texasteel
06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Actually, I have been this excited about a draft for quite a while. I am really looking forward to seeing these kids on the field.

mmalone
06-14-2009, 08:07 PM
this year is great because we get last years draft picks and this years drafts trying to win jobs. its like two years worth of rookies. it will be interesting to see who wins the jobs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I think most are gonna be pleasantly surprised by Keenan Lewis. I think he is gonna be fighting for the #4 CB spot..........the kid can flat out cover!!

lilyoder6
06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
i think lewis will be a nice gem in the corner pos as well...

i'm excited to see what burnett can do in the return game. he was a beast at ucf.. and hopefully he continues that unlike reid did

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
i think lewis will be a nice gem in the corner pos as well...

i'm excited to see what burnett can do in the return game. he was a beast at ucf.. and hopefully he continues that unlike reid did

Ya know, I would be happy to see Burnett be a guy that fields the punt and gets a solid 10-12 yard gain each time he receives a punt. That and be a Jason Simmons type reserve CB that can cover special teams too.

If we end up with a primary returner like Burnett or Logan and a bunch of other guys that can return if needed like Holmes, Moore, Ratliff........I'll be much happier than putting our #1 WR back on punt returns.