PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB fires 81, tops Jordan and Timberlake in U.S. Open Challenge

mesaSteeler
06-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Steelers QB fires 81, tops Jordan and Timberlake in U.S. Open Challenge
Saturday, June 13, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Jason DeCrow/Associated Press
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09164/977150-66.stm

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hits out of a bunker during the U.S. Open Challenge on Bethpage State Park's Black Course on Friday in Farmingdale, N.Y.

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. -- There was no need for any last-minute heroics, not like Super Bowl XLIII. There was no cause for a feverish flurry or fantastic finish, not like any of the six games last season when he rescued his team and engineered winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime.

Instead, as easy as he picked apart the Arizona Cardinals in the final minute to give the Steelers their sixth Super Bowl trophy, that's how simple Ben Roethlisberger made it look when he handled the challenge of breaking 100 at Bethpage Black.

"I told you I'd do it," Roethlisberger said

Do it?

He did it with ease, looking more like a U.S. Open participant than a two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback.

Despite getting a phone call Monday from Tiger Woods, telling him he had no chance of breaking 100, Roethlisberger won the U.S. Open Challenge yesterday, when he shot 11-over 81 on the same brutal course that will play host to the 109th U.S. Open starting Thursday, beating basketball great Michael Jordan by five shots with a round that included two triple bogeys and a double bogey.

"He played great," said his caddy, Greensburg native Rocco Mediate, the U.S. Open runner-up last year who had never met Roethlisberger until yesterday. "That course is hard. What'd he shoot -- 11 over? That's pretty good. He's very strong and he has a lovely putting stroke."

And, like he is accustomed to doing on the football field, Roethlisberger even wrapped it up in grand style, hitting an 8-iron from deep in the right bunker to 18 feet at the final hole that impressed even Mediate, a five-time PGA Tour winner.

"He wanted to hit 7-iron and I told him just rip an 8-iron at the pin," Mediate said. "You kidding me? I'd love a shot like that [in the U.S. Open]."

Roethlisberger nearly holed the birdie putt, even starting to backpedal like Woods did last year on the final-round putt that forced the 18-hole playoff with Mediate. At that point, though, it didn't matter.

Not only did Roethlisberger break 100, he bettered the low score of 84 posted in this event a year ago by Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

"I came in with such high expectations," Roethlisberger said. "But, when Tiger called me the other day and said I had no chance, I got discouraged. But it wasn't as hard as I thought. I'm real happy."

Roethlisberger, a 3-handicap, shot 42 on the front that included a triple-bogey-8 at the par-5 fourth hole. He followed with a 39 on the back that included birdies at Nos. 10 and 15 -- the only birdies produced by any member of the celebrity foursome on the 7,426-yard, par-70 layout.

In each instance, Roethlisberger hit a 4-iron to set up the birdies, the latter coming from 201 yards in the right rough at the uphill 459-yard par 4.

"Maybe the best shot of my life," Roethlisberger said.

"That 4-iron on 15 was silly," Mediate said. "If I would have hit 4-iron there, I would have come up in the front bunker. I couldn't hit that shot. He's just so strong."

Roethlisberger, Jordan (86) and singer Justin Timberlake (88), a 6-handicap who shot 98 in the inaugural event a year ago, all broke 100 at Bethpage Black. The only exception was contest-winner Larry Geibelhausen, a Phoenix police lieutenant and 3-handicap who shot 101 after shooting 54 on the front and taking a 10 on the par-4 16th hole.

Even though the round took 6 hours, 20 minutes to complete, NBC will televise the event as a 90-minute special June 21 before the final round of the U.S. Open.

Roethlisberger said last week he thought he would have no problem breaking 100 because he can carry the ball with his driver between 270 and 280 yards -- distances that are needed to reach some of the fairways at Bethpage Black. But he started to have a few more doubts when Woods, the world's No. 1 player, phoned him after playing a practice round five days ago at Bethpage Black, saying the course was so tough he wouldn't break 100.

"I got to collect from Tiger," Roethlisberger said. "And I got to collect from Mike for the birdies."

Still, there were a few anxious moments.

After his approach from the right fairway bunker at No. 6 flew the green and landed on a downhill slope in the nasty rough, a fan said to Roethlisberger as he walked to his ball, "Ben, I'd love to be you, but not right now."

Replied Roethlisberger, "That's why I don't do this for a living."

At the 460-yard ninth, Roethlisberger pulled his tee shot deep into the trees, leaving him with little clear path to the green. As he surveyed his options, Anthony Kim, a three-time PGA Tour winner who was caddying for Timberlake, shouted, "Ben, go for it."

"I am going for it, A.K. -- out there," Roethlisberger said, pointing to an opening in the fairway where he punched his next shot.

It was one of the few times during the round he showed discretion. Most of the time, Roethlisberger let Mediate talk him into being aggressive, not laying up and firing at pins.

"Everything Mr. Ford told me to do," Roethlisberger said, referring to Oakmont professional Bob Ford, his coach for the event, "Rocco told me the opposite."

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com.
First published on June 13, 2009 at 12:00 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09164/977150-66.stm#ixzz0IJR8t89a&D

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Great Job BEN,,,,
haha... he beat Romo again

Psyychoward86
06-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow.....very nice job BB. Why cant he make it look easy on the football field the 1st three quarters instead of giving us heartattacks :chuckle:

tony hipchest
06-13-2009, 11:49 AM
"I came in with such high expectations," Roethlisberger said. "But, when Tiger called me the other day and said I had no chance, I got discouraged. But it wasn't as hard as I thought. I'm real happy."

is that what he calls "motivated" these days? :chuckle:

"I got to collect from Tiger," Roethlisberger said. "And I got to collect from Mike for the birdies."

its good to be ben. stealing money from MJ and tiger on a champion golf course is nothing to shake a stick at.

i remember during MJ's playing days one of his vices was high stakes golf outings (usually $10,000 a hole).

being that ben was the "poor kid on the block" they probably only went $10,000 per birdie.

i'd like to know how much tiger bet him he wouldnt crack 100.

*cha-ching* :tt02:

keep those competitive juices flowing ben, cause theres no way you can win 2 SB's in a row. :wink:

stillers4me
06-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Don't ever bet against Big Ben.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Maybe a career in golf after his playing days are over?

tony hipchest
06-13-2009, 05:36 PM
look out al del greco

Godfather
06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
My dream golf tournament is one where you put together four-member teams of a PGA golfer, an LPGA golfer, a senior golfer, and a non-golf celebrity and play a best ball format.

You could have a team of Mickelson, Wie, Palmer and Roethlisberger or a team of Woods, Creamer, Nicklaus, and Adam Sandler.

Preacher
06-13-2009, 10:13 PM
i remember during MJ's playing days one of his vices was high stakes golf outings (usually $10,000 a hole).

I remember when people were making a big deal out of that.

My response was. . . "How much is he making this year?" His 10,000 a hole is the equivelent to the average guy betting 10 bucks a hole.

Losing 180 smarts, but it is no where near reckless.

Just looked it up, in 1997 even, Jordan had 47 million in income for advertising, not including his actualy salary or investments. So lets divide that in half for 93, and leave out all other monies. That means, he was making about 24 million that year. If Jordan lost EVERY whole at 10,000 per whole, he would have lost 1/11th of his MONTHLY income.

That is the equivalent of the average american betting and losing 380 dollars next week in a golf game.

Like I said, it smarts, but it isn't reckless.

tony hipchest
06-13-2009, 10:18 PM
i wonder how much cash he stole from barkley? :chuckle:

off topic, but jordan was at the kentucky derby for the first time this year... if he's gotten the itch WATCH OUT!

(i bet they thought they were gonna make some easy money offa ben)

rich4eagle
06-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Don't ever bet against Big Ben.

GREAT Thread...................

Ben is Special always has been and we lucked out when the Browns went
BRAIN DEAD .......... picked Brain dead Winslow and passed on Ben

Stuff happens

Aussie_steeler
06-13-2009, 11:56 PM
[Roethlisberger won the U.S. Open Challenge yesterday, when he shot 11-over 81 on the same brutal course that will play host to the 109th U.S. Open starting Thursday, beating basketball great Michael Jordan by five shots with a round that included two triple bogeys and a double bogey.

Roethlisberger, a 3-handicap, shot 42 on the front that included a triple-bogey-8 at the par-5 fourth hole. He followed with a 39 on the back that included birdies at Nos. 10 and 15 -- the only birdies produced by any member of the celebrity foursome on the 7,426-yard, par-70 layout.

In each instance, Roethlisberger hit a 4-iron to set up the birdies, the latter coming from 201 yards in the right rough at the uphill 459-yard par 4.

"That 4-iron on 15 was silly," Mediate said. "If I would have hit 4-iron there, I would have come up in the front bunker. I couldn't hit that shot. He's just so strong."

From a golfers perspective there are some really interesting facts / points to be taken from this round.

1. Bens round of 81 looks like it contained two triples, one double, five bogeys, 8 pars and 2 birdies. In that sense the course really only jumped up and bit him three times ( for the 2 triples and one double bogey). Most pga pro's playing in the US open will have a game plan that is totally built around minimising the blowout holes. More than one third of the US open starters will probably have a round that will have at least two double bogeys. ( the pga pro would turn Bens Triple bogeys into a double bogey). There will be at least 15 professionals in the US open field that shoot scores higher than 81 in the first two rounds. Of the players making the cut another 5 - 10 will shoot similar scores.

2. Ben has power to burn by the sound of this. The two birdies were set up by 4 iron approach shots from outside 200 yards. One from the rough is even more impressive. That takes both strength and skill to pull that off. I would like to know how far Ben was past his opponents off the tee but I would be guessing he would be about 20 in front of them. The eight iron from the bunker sounds like it needs to be seen to be believed.

3. It seems like his cool demeanour under pressure is instinctive across a range of pursuits. If the greens were running any where US open speed he would have been under immense pressure all day putting. It looks like his score has been produced on the back of a very solid day with the putter.

4. This will improve Ben's confidence in all areas. To succeed in this arena will definitely build his confidence levels as a golf course set up in this condition is extremely intimidating. I can see that Ben has loads of confidence on the golf course by the description given by Rocco that Ben went for shots that he would not have dreamed of.

Overall I am really impressed by the performance he put in.( It looks like the time that he spent with Natalie Gulbis and other golfers have had a positive impact. ) Ben is going to have a field day in some of the celebrity golf tournaments on the back of his combination of power and skill. Dont read into this that Ben is ever going to be a PGA tour calibre player but he is going to be a very good amatuer or maybe even a senior pro golfer later in life. But it sounds like he has the potential to be another Al Del Greco, Trent Dilfer or Billie Joe Tolliver on the golf course. ( But all dearly wish to be Big Ben on the football field)

I am looking forward to the US Open and would dearly love to see Geoff Ogilvy or another Aussie upstage Tiger but I am a realist. This again is Tigers tournament and his to lose.

SteelersinCA
06-14-2009, 03:58 AM
There will be at least 15 professionals in the US open field that shoot scores higher than 81 in the first two rounds. Of the players making the cut another 5 - 10 will shoot similar scores.

This is amazing, I guess when you are a talented athlete you get it at all sports, crazy how good these people are.

Galax Steeler
06-14-2009, 04:02 AM
It must be nice to be multi talented like Ben. Has a real nice golf game and is on hell of a quarterback.

stillers4me
06-14-2009, 08:25 AM
I guess his knee is ok. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
06-14-2009, 12:37 PM
any truth to the rumor that right before the match tiger woods sent a text to ben and called him a "shankopotamus"?

OneForTheToe
06-14-2009, 02:52 PM
From a golfers perspective there are some really interesting facts / points to be taken from this round.

.( It looks like the time that he spent with Natalie Gulbis and other golfers have had a positive impact. )

I'm sure he was working on his game with Natalie. i'm just wondering if they ever played golf?:wink02::wave:

Aussie_steeler
06-15-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm sure he was working on his game with Natalie. i'm just wondering if they ever played golf?:wink02::wave:

I think you meant to say that she was helping him on work on his stroke.