PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Woodley and Ryan host football camp

mesaSteeler
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
NFL's Woodley and Ryan host football camp
http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/story_print.aspx?id=312372&type=story
By Dave Kinchen
Saturday, June 13, 2009 at 7:10 p.m.

Giving back was the name of the game for Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley of Saginaw. :tt03::tt03:He hosted his second free football camp for youngsters in the city along with St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Clifton Ryan.

Woodley stood on the very same Saginaw High School field that launched his career, recalling a similar experience that changed his life.

“When I was a young kid, Terry Mcdaniel (former football great from Saginaw) came out and did his football camp and it was something that even guys my age still talk about. I said, “when I get older I definitely want to have a football camp just to give back,” he said.

Woodley said he saw himself in many of the young faces that came out, hoping for glimpse, maybe an autograph or a chanceto say they played ball with a hometown hero.

“You know how it is sometimes, being a young kid, wrestling and just having fun. That’s the biggest thing is to come out and have fun and learn a few drills, that some of the kids will take away and use them one day. That’s the biggest thing,” Woodley said.

Ryan, a graduate of Arthur Hill High School and former a Michigan State Spartan told NBC25 the camp also brought back memories for him.

“It’s a family atmosphere. Growing up in Saginaw, 25 years of my life born and raised, to be able to throw this with a great guy like LaMarr and give back to the youth (is great),” he said. “The youth need it definitely. We all know the make up of our city right now. We’re struggling and they need positive role models. Whenever we have the opportunity to give back we take full advantage,” Ryan said.

Former Detroit Lion and Saginaw native Charles Rogers and former Michigan All American Mike Hart were also on hand.

(Nice to see Woodley carrying on the Steeler tradition of giving back. - mesa)

Video of the event if you are interested.
http://www.connectmidmichigan.com/news/video.aspx?id=312372

BehindSteelCurtain
06-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Giving back was the name of the game for Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley of Saginaw. He hosted his second free football camp for youngsters in the city along with St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Clifton Ryan.

Woodley stood on the very same Saginaw High School field that launched his career, recalling a similar experience that changed his life.

“When I was a young kid, Terry Mcdaniel (former football great from Saginaw) came out and did his football camp and it was something that even guys my age still talk about. I said, “when I get older I definitely want to have a football camp just to give back,” he said.

Woodley said he saw himself in many of the young faces that came out, hoping for glimpse, maybe an autograph or a chanceto say they played ball with a hometown hero.

“You know how it is sometimes, being a young kid, wrestling and just having fun. That’s the biggest thing is to come out and have fun and learn a few drills, that some of the kids will take away and use them one day. That’s the biggest thing,” Woodley said.

Ryan, a graduate of Arthur Hill High School and former a Michigan State Spartan told NBC25 the camp also brought back memories for him.

“It’s a family atmosphere. Growing up in Saginaw, 25 years of my life born and raised, to be able to throw this with a great guy like LaMarr and give back to the youth (is great),” he said. “The youth need it definitely. We all know the make up of our city right now. We’re struggling and they need positive role models. Whenever we have the opportunity to give back we take full advantage,” Ryan said.

Former Detroit Lion and Saginaw native Charles Rogers and former Michigan All American Mike Hart were also on hand.

(Nice to see Woodley carrying on the Steeler tradition of giving back. - mesa

Im suprised he has enough guts to show his face in Michigan.

Preacher
06-14-2009, 02:17 AM
He seems like a good guy.

In the SB half an hour show where they play a lot of what was being said, Tomlin tells Woodley to go win the game for them. Woodley then goes out and strips the ball, winning the game.

very impressive.

sherlock
06-14-2009, 02:36 AM
Off-topic,but for some strange reason I keep calling LaMarr Woodley ,Woodley LaMarr:doh:
Just thought you`d all like to know that !

Galax Steeler
06-14-2009, 04:06 AM
It's good to hear that Woodley is helping out the kids in Saginaw. He has some class and that is why he is a Steeler.

GBMelBlount
06-14-2009, 06:51 AM
From the very first article I read about Woodley (driving in to training camp on fumes) I had a good feeling this guy.

stillers4me
06-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I really, really like this young man. He impresses me more everyday, both on and off the field. For some players, "the Steeler way" comes naturally, and LaMarr seems to be a natural!

Dino 6 Rings
06-14-2009, 12:50 PM
talk about a great 2nd round draft pick...Tomlin had a great 1st draft as far as I'm concerned.

LVSteelersfan
06-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I think this year will show that Tomlin knows how to judge defensive talent. Timmons, Woodley and now, Ziggy Hood to carry on that Steeler tradition of tough defensive football. The naysayers can nitpick all day that we should have picked an Olineman in the first round, but I think this draft was a damn good one. Go Frank the Tank. Make UNLV proud. I am an alumnus of that school with a fairly lousy football program. But at least they send a good player to the pros occasionally; Randall Cunningham, Ickey Woods, etc.
Woodley is all class and will be a terror for years to come for the Steelers.

Rek
06-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Woodley is a manbeast on the field and a gentleman off. That's what a Steeler is all about.

LVSteelersfan
06-15-2009, 11:00 AM
So how is Tom "Golden Boy" Brady's camp going? Oh, I guess he doesn't have one. He is too busy drowning instead of being a useful cog in the community. Of course, who wants to spend any more time than they have to in BAW_STUN.

Cheppy
06-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Speaking of Woodley, I'm in awe of what he's already done in the postseason in just his first two seasons:

4 games - 19 Tackles - 8 Sacks - 1 FF (which clinched the super bowl) - 1 sweet play against the ratbirds in the AFC Chamionship Game where on 3rd & 1 he got turned around only to purposefully run backwards into McGahee thus successfully keeping him from converting.

And he has plenty of room for growth.