PDA

View Full Version : Arians discusses young talent, prostate cancer

stillers4me
06-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Good article on Arians, love or hate him, God bless him in being a cancer survivor. :drink:

Steelers offensive coordinator discusses young talent, prostate cancer
By Tom Ash, June 14, 2009

Last updated: Saturday, June 13, 2009 11:31 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was very clear on his opinion of the team’s first-round draft choice this season.

Sitting in the lobby of The Ortenzio Heart Center on the Holy Spirit Health System campus, minutes before his speech on prostate cancer prevention in an assembly of medical professionals one the next floor, Arians deferred any doubts as to which prospect the Steelers were hoping to snag in the first round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

“That’s part of the secret of the draft,” he said with a smile. “You got the guy you wanted all the time.”

With the No. 32 pick — the final pick of the opening round this April — Pittsburgh went against most outside projections in selecting Evander “Ziggy” Hood, a 6-foot-3-inch, 300-pound defensive tackle from Missouri. Analysts felt the Steelers would draft an offensive lineman, given the team’s 46 sacks allowed last season.

That may have been the initial plan, too, until a few top lineman prospects were selected before Pittsburgh was on the clock. At that point, Arians said, it was just a matter of sticking with the age-old Steelers draft method — do it by the book.

“The one thing, you can’t reach in the draft just because of positional need,” Arians said. “The two guys we had targeted for that spot were drafted ahead of us. The next guy, it was a little rich for him to be drafted in that spot.

“Ziggy Hood is a guy we had ranked very high. That way, you never have busts. You don’t draft for need.”

The Steelers didn’t take an offensive lineman until the 79th pick, when they selected 6-5, 328-pound Wisconsin tackle Kraig Urbik. But all those sacks in ‘09 weren’t necessarily the fault of a lax O-line, as Arians pointed out.

“They only gave up 19 sacks last year of the 46,” the offensive coordinator said. “Running backs, tight ends, receivers and quarterbacks gave up most of the rest. Those guys, every time there’s a sack it has to be the offensive linemen but a lot of times it was a receiver missing the hot read, the quarterback getting himself sacked a few times, because he likes to run around. We’re not going to change that.”

Arians and his fellow coaches know the risks involved with a quarterback as gun-ho as Ben Roethlisberger. Always the playmaker, Roethlisberger tends to scramble outside the pocket and put himself in harm’s way when a play isn’t developing as needed.

It is, however, a point of endearment for his coaches.

“We don’t get caught up with how many times Ben gets hit,” Arians said. “If Ben gets hurt, that’s a different story, we need him out there. He’s the franchise. But we don’t want to change the way he plays the game. He’s a gunslinger, he likes to make plays.”

After all, it was that free spirit that led Roethlisberger to a franchise-record 32 touchdown passes in 2007, Arians’ first year as coordinator, with a solid quarterback rating of 104.1.

The veteran coach feels he and his colleagues know exactly what they’re doing when it comes to handling their staff. Two Super Bowl victories in four years is reason enough for his confidence.

So, when Arians explained the low production the team received from the draft class of ‘08 was a direct correlation with how good his team was last year, there’s little reason to doubt him.

“I do think it’s because we have a good football team,” Arians said. “When you’re playing all your rookies, you’re not very good and (the rookies) are going to get beat a lot... if your rookies aren’t playing and you’re winning, and they see what’s anticipated and expected of them, when they do play, there’s a level of expectation they know they have to live up to.

“We really didn’t get anything out of our first-, second-, third-, fourth-round picks last year... hopefully, those guys will be the depth of our football team this year. We feel we had a good draft, those guys haven’t had a chance to play yet.”

For former Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall, it wasn’t as much a matter of warming the bench. The bruising tailback broke a bone in his shoulder early last season and missed the majority of his rookie year.

Still, Arians was confident the former first-round pick has matured beyond rookie status at this point, having stuck around and been a part of the team’s playoff run despite his lack of presence on the field.

“It was very hard for (Mendenhall),” Arians said. “For the first time in his life, he had to sit around and watch. Any rookie that goes through that for the first time, they have a tendency to step back and hide because they don’t feel like they’re part of the team anymore.

“As the season progressed, as we got into the playoffs, he was around every day.”

With the departure of reserve wideout Nate Washington, Sweed, taken with the Steelers’ second draft pick in ‘08, will have a chance to compete for regular-season playing time this year. Though the 6-4, 220-pound deep threat isn’t much of a physical equivalent to 6-0, 205-pound starter Hines Ward, the veteran has played a big role in developing Sweed into an NFL-caliber wideout.

In fact, with 11 years of experience as a member of the Steelers’ franchise, Ward has become a pseudo-wide receivers coach in his own right.

“We have great veteran leadership on this team in each position,” Arians said. “Those guys do a lot of coaching. When I was a receivers coach, Hines did most of the coaching... as far as passing knowledge on, making sure there was no relax of blocking or full-speed execution. Or taking notes in meetings. Hines would pick their notebook up (and say), ‘What, you didn’t write anything down? How are you going to make the team?’

“He’s really teaching someone to take his job someday, that’s been the situation for a long time." :tt03:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Take one for the team'

Bruce Arians didn’t make the trip all the way to Holy Spirit in Camp Hill just to talk about the NFL preseason. There were much more important things on the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator’s mind Saturday.

A prostate cancer survivor, Arians spoke as part of an assembly at The Ortenzio Heart Center on prostate cancer awareness — a movement he voluntarily joined in hopes of spreading knowledge about the illness.

“It is indeed a pleasure and honor to be here and get involved in something so needed,” the coach said in front of inquisitive guests and towel-waiving Steelers fans alike.

In early 2007, Arians was diagnosed with prostate cancer. The news came on the heels of a major Steelers shake-up — Mike Tomlin had just been named the team’s new head coach and Arians slid into the vacant offensive coordinator position. It was a position Arians was familiar with, having spent time as the Cleveland Browns’ OC before arriving in Pittsburgh, but a career shift that required extra attention nonetheless.

However, according to Arians, everything came to a screeching halt when he heard the doctor say those three words: “You have cancer.”

“Nothing compares with when the doctor tells you you have cancer,” Arians said. “Everything stops.”

Now, the coach dedicates time to spreading prostate cancer awareness, donning the little blue ribbon pin that has become the movement’s symbol and developing the slogan “Take one for the team,” in reference to a man’s responsibility to undergo prostate exams for the good of his family.

“If we can just get one guy to go get himself checked, it’s well worth the time,” Arians said.

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2009/06/13/sports/local/doc4a346acd1925f780921509.prt

Cheppy
06-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I've watched the Super Bowl twice now & while I still have issues with how he called games & his lack of in-game adjustments up until that point, Arians called a really good Super Bowl. I'm actually optimistic that if Summers can be that short yardage back we desperately need & that the o-line plays even just a little bit better that the offense will run alot smoother this year.

LVSteelersfan
06-14-2009, 12:50 PM
The Steelers started off like gangbusters in a lot of games last year but stalled after the first drive. I still think that Arians and his running Parker UP THE MIDDLE on first and second downs over and over kept too many games closer than they should have been. Granted, Ben pulled a lot of those games out in the end, but we should have been using Moore on second and third down, perhaps as a slot receiver or second back in the backfield to get some of that heat off Ben. Slamming the ball up the middle repeatedly with a one dimensional back who can't run a screen if his life depended on it is just stupid. I know, I know. We won the Super Bowl that way. BUT, the defense did most of the work, not that inconsistent mess that we called an offense.

mmalone
06-14-2009, 01:44 PM
[
“They only gave up 19 sacks last year of the 46,” the offensive coordinator said. “Running backs, tight ends, receivers and quarterbacks gave up most of the rest. Those guys, every time there’s a sack it has to be the offensive linemen but a lot of times it was a receiver missing the hot read, the quarterback getting himself sacked a few times, because he likes to run around. We’re not going to change that.”

Interesting remark from Arians... 27 sacks blamed on Ben and a Receiver missing reads??? Nate possibly???

Summers helps short yardage, Sweed plays better and faster than Nate, we seen Limas block. Thats solid. A better OL and the steelers will be exciting to watch this season. Smashmouth is back...

The Duke
06-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Summers helps short yardage, Sweed plays better and faster than Nate, we seen Limas block. Thats solid. A better OL and the steelers will be exciting to watch this season. Smashmouth is back...

?

I dunno, we've never really seen him play. And one good block doesn't make him solid

mmalone
06-14-2009, 03:56 PM
just using some logic, they didnt want to pay nate for some reason.... ward seems to like sweeds play. we shall see. they drafted summers 5th instead of 7th round, they contracted him already. that sounds positive.

Cheppy
06-14-2009, 05:04 PM
?

I dunno, we've never really seen him play. And one good block doesn't make him solid

And is he even faster than Washington?

Preacher
06-14-2009, 06:36 PM
I did pick up on that number. . . only 20 or so sacks blamed on the O line.

Interesting. I did notice a number of times it looked like they were bringing the house on us. I REALLY want to go back to that Philly game now and watch. I wonder how many of those sacks were missed hot-reads... two steps, three steps and turn.

Hmmm. Not saying I agree with Arians... but it does give a lot of light on why they worked to keep this line together.

I still don't like the push on the run... but who knows.

Preacher
06-14-2009, 06:43 PM
And is he even faster than Washington?

Nate Washington 40 yard dash pre-draft = 4.53

http://pit.scout.com/2/387181.html

Limas Sweed 40 yard dash pre-draft = 4.45

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/656221/limas_sweed_where_will_he_go_in_the.html?cat=14

Also ran a 4.5 and 4.51 at the Jet's pro day.

So yeah, Limas is 4 inches taller, 34 pounds heavier (at time of draft) and anywhere from .02 to .08 of a second faster in the 40.

mmalone
06-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I still don't like the push on the run... but who knows.

We need to get those red zone first downs on short yardage and then score in short yardage. Then we need to finish and get first downs in the late 4th quarter to control the clock and win out the games without the nail biting all the time. we need the smashmouth run. with a good short yardage game this year, we will be back for Number 7

tony hipchest
06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
?

I dunno, we've never really seen him play. And one good block doesn't make him solidim excited about sweed. granted he has really been out of live game action for nearly 2 years and has some rust to shake off, but before that-

Entering his final season, Sweed was rated the best receiver in college football and one of the nation's top 25 draft prospects by ESPN. However, a left wrist injury that started to bother him in spring camp carried over into fall drills. The injury would force Sweed to the sidelines for stretches throughout the first six games of his final season. His year would finally come to a close after he underwent surgery in mid-October to repair ligament damage.

Before his career would come to a close, Sweed etched his name into the Longhorns' record books. The two-time All-Big 12 selection ranks second in school history with 20 touchdown catches. While starting 39 consecutive games, he totaled 1,915 yards receiving, the fifth-best season total in Texas history. He also hauled in 124 passes, good for sixth place on UT's all-time record list.

Sweed formed an instant bond with quarterback Colt McCoy, who threw 15 touchdowns to the receiver.

"I think he gets overlooked a lot because he's a great receiver -- he has such great hands," McCoy said. "When we have running plays, anytime we make a big play, it's because Limas is down there making a block."

so he was ranked right up there with calvin johnson, and the analysis in this link compares him to andre johnson. however-

After his junior campaign, reports filtered to the media that Sweed was going to file early for the 2007 NFL Draft. The receiver quickly shot down those rumors. "I feel like I'm a leader on this team, and I want to be a positive influence on the younger guys," said Sweed. "That's why I think it's important for me to come back, develop as a player and get my degree. My intention is to help this team win as many games as we can."

other than an injury that has limited his draft status and action the past 2 seasons, i really see no red flags.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/limas-sweed?id=322#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-overview

Preacher
06-14-2009, 11:01 PM
im excited about sweed. granted he has really been out of live game action for nearly 2 years and has some rust to shake off, but before that-

so he was ranked right up there with calvin johnson, and the analysis in this link compares him to andre johnson. however-

other than an injury that has limited his draft status and action the past 2 seasons, i really see no red flags.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/limas-sweed?id=322#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-overview

But but but. . . he was looking at teh scoreboard instead of catching the football!

:chuckle:

Isnt' it amazing what stopping a video at the right moment will make things seem like?

tony hipchest
06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
But but but. . . he was looking at teh scoreboard instead of catching the football!

:chuckle:

i never bought into that b-list messageboard hogwash.

for those watching on tv, you cant see his eyes vs the jumbotron anyways.

for those in the stadium, you cant see his eyes vs the jumbotron either.

i think it was more just hot air to hate on a guy.

myself... i like to look at his potential and attribute the drop to rust and the better part of 2 seasons with no real live game action.

throwing 50-60 balls his way this year will do a world of good in his development and open wide holes for willie/mendenhall et al.

Preacher
06-14-2009, 11:18 PM
i never bought into that b-list messageboard hogwash.

for those watching on tv, you cant see his eyes vs the jumbotron anyways.

for those in the stadium, you cant see his eyes vs the jumbotron either.

i think it was more just hot air to hate on a guy.

myself... i like to look at his potential and attribute the drop to rust and the better part of 2 seasons with no real live game action.

throwing 50-60 balls his way this year will do a world of good in his development and open wide holes for willie/mendenhall et al.

Actually, it was some idiots on TV that freezeframed it. As I kept saying and still say, he wasn't used to the speed of the game. He was surprised the ball got there as fast as it did, and was late tracking it.

But yeah, I think this year he plays decently well. Next year will be the BIG year for him.

Scary thing is, Ben is now entering his 6th season. Supposedly, starting now, he is in his prime for the next 5-8 years.

tony hipchest
06-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Actually, it was some idiots on TV that freezeframed it. .
good thing it wasnt actual tv professionals such as madden and michaels or we might have steelerfans believing the sb was actually fixed.

the freezeframe was douchebaggery as wellas anyone who bought in and perpetuated the myth.

tony hipchest
06-14-2009, 11:42 PM
bottom line?

arians seems high on sweed and mendenhall, so shouldnt we all be? after all, he has the backing of the rooneys and tomlin who obviously trust his judgement, and we are just messageboard posters.

im sure the professionals have seen more on tape and in practice than what some tv idiots have shown in a freeze frame.

just sayin...

Preacher
06-15-2009, 01:07 AM
bottom line?

arians seems high on sweed and mendenhall, so shouldnt we all be? after all, he has the backing of the rooneys and tomlin who obviously trust his judgement, and we are just messageboard posters.

im sure the professionals have seen more on tape and in practice than what some tv idiots have shown in a freeze frame.

just sayin...

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner boys and girls.

Galax Steeler
06-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Nate Washington 40 yard dash pre-draft = 4.53

http://pit.scout.com/2/387181.html

Limas Sweed 40 yard dash pre-draft = 4.45

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/656221/limas_sweed_where_will_he_go_in_the.html?cat=14

Also ran a 4.5 and 4.51 at the Jet's pro day.

So yeah, Limas is 4 inches taller, 34 pounds heavier (at time of draft) and anywhere from .02 to .08 of a second faster in the 40.

Lets not forget about Wallace he ran a 4.34 if he can catch and play the game in the big league he might knock Limas down a spot.

MasterOfPuppets
06-15-2009, 03:36 AM
. “The two guys we had targeted for that spot were drafted ahead of us. The next guy, it was a little rich for him to be drafted in that spot.
i'd bet my last dollar, that those 2 guys were mack and wood ...:popcorn: ... wonder if the next guy was britton ?

Preacher
06-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Lets not forget about Wallace he ran a 4.34 if he can catch and play the game in the big league he might knock Limas down a spot.

Wow. Santion posted a 4.35. To think that a 4.45 40 makes you the SLOWEST of teh young receivers on the team :jawdrop:

Heinz probably just looks over and chuckles. Then says, "children, it ain't all about speed. Now watch how i do it."

Preacher
06-15-2009, 04:06 AM
i'd bet my last dollar, that those 2 guys were mack and wood ...:popcorn: ... wonder if the next guy was britton ?

at'll be my guess.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Interesting remark from Arians... 27 sacks blamed on Ben and a Receiver missing reads??? Nate possibly???

Most likely the slot receiver and TE, so most likely Heath Miller and Hines Ward. Nate and Santonio are normally wide in a 3WR set.

When Ben scrambles for time, or takes a sack rather than throw an INT........its just part of the game. Its actually not that surprising of a comment to me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM

I would not count on it. I watched some Ole Miss games this season and Wallace is more of a speed guy with good(but not great) hands that is not yet an accomplished route runner.

Wallace will be fighting to be the #5 WR this season.

mmalone
06-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Most likely the slot receiver and TE, so most likely Heath Miller and Hines Ward. Nate and Santonio are normally wide in a 3WR set.

When Ben scrambles for time, or takes a sack rather than throw an INT........its just part of the game. Its actually not that surprising of a comment to me.

Ok, but now we have to bring the famous Banana Bunch offensive formation into question again.... there are no wide outs???

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Ok, but now we have to bring the famous Banana Bunch offensive formation into question again.... there are no wide outs???

There normally is 1 WR (often Holmes) on the other side in that formation. The rest would consist of Nate, Ward, Miller and a team would rarely blitz on that side, but if they did the hot route would likely be predetermined.

I graded the Philly game as 4 sacks O line, 3 sacks on QB, 2 sacks on WR/TE. (Ron Jaworski had it 3-3-3), but you can clearly see that Hines and Heath missed hot routes and gave Ben nobody to throw to on blitzes that resulted in sacks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM

I dont think they were interested in Britton. Britton was drafted 39th and I think could have easily been justified at #32. I think the Steelers wanted either Andy Levitre or Max Unger, but didnt think they were big reaches at #32.

I wholeheartedly agree that Mack and Wood were the first 2 guys they wanted.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Wow. Santion posted a 4.35. To think that a 4.45 40 makes you the SLOWEST of teh young receivers on the team :jawdrop:

Here is an older article about individual "speed" on the team...good read.

Who's the fastest Steeler? Not fast Willie
By Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
Published: Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:29 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH — Three years ago when asked to name the five fastest Steelers, Willie Parker smiled and said, “Willie. Willie. Willie. Willie. Willie.”

In other words, the speedy scatback believed he was in a class by himself.

This week with Jamaican track star Usain Bolt creating a world-wide buzz for his exploits in the 2008 Beijing Olympic, all of the Steelers’ fastest players have been watching with interest.

While they’ve followed Bolt’s astounding performances as he’s set world records in the 100- and 200-meter sprints, the subject of who is the fastest Steeler is once again a topic of discussion.

“I’d say me, Troy, Willie, Nate and Santonio,” said cornerback Ike Taylor, whose top five included himself, Parker, safety Troy Polamalu and wide receivers Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes.

Jeremy Bloom, a former Olympic skier trying to earn a roster spot as a wide receiver/kick return specialist, added another name to the list ... his name.

“I’d be happy to put my name in that mix,” said Bloom, a former sprinter who helped his high school track team in Colorado win back-to-back state titles.

In an informal poll of 10 Steelers with swift speed — all were running backs, wide receivers or defensive backs — it was possible to come up with a consensus top five.

Taylor got the most votes as the fastest Steeler.

Parker was second.

Wide receivers Nate Washington and Santonio Holmes were third and fourth.

Strong safety Troy Polamalu was fifth, just ahead of wide receiver Willie Reid.

Even Parker, who once ran the 40-yard dash in 4.28 seconds, reluctantly conceded his “fastest Steeler” title to Taylor.

“What do you think I’m going to say?” Parker said when asked about his top five. “Of course, I’m going to say me.”

But in his next breath he said, “Well, I’ll give other people a little more credit.”

Parker then listed Taylor first, himself second and the likes of Washington, Polamalu, Reid and Holmes as all tied for third.

Even though the Steelers are together each year from the end of July to the end of football season, they’ve never really staged a race to see which is really the fastest.

“We always talk about it, but we never get around to it,” Parker said.

Judging by the number of his teammates who say Taylor would win, he’d be the favorite.

“Of course,” Taylor said.

“Ike hands down,” added cornerback Bryant McFadden. “Ike would burn ’em all.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/08/20/sports/steelers/doc48acedf7241e2360757236.txt

St33lersguy
06-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Ben should just call his own plays, that or get a good OC

revefsreleets
06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Wow. Pathetic. Seems there is a spillover from another forum.

Watch the DVR (or whatever recording device you may have)...I have. Sweed never looked at the Jumbotron (what stadium has a jumbotron at eye level?), but he CLEARLY looked down to see where the endzone was. THAT kind of amateur hour nonsense is what gives me pause as to whether or not his head is in the game.

I want him to prove me wrong, but it's certainly not b-list or douchebaggery to point out an obvious and glaring error by a professional athlete who is paid to do one thing, and only one thing well.

This is new year. Hope he proves me wrong.

Preacher
06-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Watch the DVR (or whatever recording device you may have)...I have. Sweed never looked at the Jumbotron (what stadium has a jumbotron at eye level?), but he CLEARLY looked down to see where the endzone was. THAT kind of amateur hour nonsense is what gives me pause as to whether or not his head is in the game.

I want him to prove me wrong, but it's certainly not b-list or douchebaggery to point out an obvious and glaring error by a professional athlete who is paid to do one thing, and only one thing well.

This is new year. Hope he proves me wrong.

Rev..

Watch it again... and watch how he is tracking the ball... he is behind it the whole way. THen watch how he has to stretch to get it at the last second. He was, (imo) looking at neither the jumbotron nor the endzone. He was simply playing a playoff game at college speed.

That is all.

That is why the title "Rookie" was attached to him.

tony hipchest
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM

.cripes, dude. do you resent or resemble that remark?

in every thread you mention sweeds shenannigans or preparations for a CJ-like celebration, there are two or 3 other "b-listers" (as you would call them) saying he was looking up at the jumbotron.

its not ALWAYS about you. its all over the internet-

"sweed was looking at the jumbotron" or "sweed was watching the scoreboard", which is what preach and i were discussing.

it starts with the talking heads such as madden suggesting something like james is a dirty player and should be tossed from the superbowl and then snowballs from there.

with that being said your theory is pretty weak and lame, too. :drink: just because a player (a rookie no less) simply takes his eyes off the ball, doesnt mean he's gonna start shooting up his leg in night clubs. :doh:

my "road to XLIII" dvd doesnt lie.

The Definiti0n
06-16-2009, 12:52 AM
19 sacks huh? Clearly the coaching staff has evaluted the O-line thoroughly. I guess thats why we havent pick a O lineman early in the draft.

Preacher
06-16-2009, 01:17 AM
19 sacks huh? Clearly the coaching staff has evaluted the O-line thoroughly. I guess thats why we havent pick a O lineman early in the draft.

No, I think THAT was because we won the SB, and didn't have an early enough pick to scoop up Mack.

All in all, I'll take the trade!

mmalone
06-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Logic would say that your right. we passed on britton, picked up hood....
picked up kubic later. then let go of Nate and ordered two more speedy wr's.
then picked up a plow horse, tank, mini bus, summers.... And now looking for Sweed to beat the other two speedsters of wr's we picked up with good hands.

This year it may be only 19 sacks total... hopefully in all games added together thru to the Super Bowl.

But Ben will not let that happen as he likes to flush like a grouse.

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Rev..

Watch it again... and watch how he is tracking the ball... he is behind it the whole way. THen watch how he has to stretch to get it at the last second. He was, (imo) looking at neither the jumbotron nor the endzone. He was simply playing a playoff game at college speed.

That is all.

That is why the title "Rookie" was attached to him.

My take is this: There are no defenders in front of him. There is nothing standing in his way between him and the endzone. And he lowered his eyes and looked in front of him. He KNEW he was wide open. He KNEW that was a TD catch. And he lowered his eyes and looked to see how far to go before he could start his celebration, and forget the most important part of the equation, which is actually catching the football.

That's not all, though. He made some stupid penalties last year ( the worst penalty to take in all of sports, IMO, is a WR jumping offsides, because it's a visual cue). He also was guilty of several boneheaded plays.

Each thing on it's own isn't all that bad, but when you add them up in relation to the limited time he saw action, it shows a guy who needs to focus much more on the fundamentals of the game.

As I've said before, he has a chance to prove himself Sunday's this year with pads on. I certainly hope he does, but we've all seen our fair share of talented WR's fade into oblivion before. So far he has underachieved.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
No, I think THAT was because we won the SB, and didn't have an early enough pick to scoop up Mack.
!

Exactly. I think the other guy they would have taken was Wood in the 1st.

Makes me think. If they took Wood in the 1st, then Jarron Gilbert was on the board in the 2nd and Keenan Lewis probably there in the 3rd still.........would they have gone back to an interior lineman like Tyronne Green or Duke Robinson in the 4th???

Still, I think the way the draft played out the Steelers were looking at either a combo of Eric Wood and Jarron Gilbert, or Ziggy Hood and Kraig Urbik with their first 2 picks.

X-Terminator
06-16-2009, 10:34 AM
My take is this: There are no defenders in front of him. There is nothing standing in his way between him and the endzone. And he lowered his eyes and looked in front of him. He KNEW he was wide open. He KNEW that was a TD catch. And he lowered his eyes and looked to see how far to go before he could start his celebration, and forget the most important part of the equation, which is actually catching the football.

That's not all, though. He made some stupid penalties last year ( the worst penalty to take in all of sports, IMO, is a WR jumping offsides, because it's a visual cue). He also was guilty of several boneheaded plays.

Each thing on it's own isn't all that bad, but when you add them up in relation to the limited time he saw action, it shows a guy who needs to focus much more on the fundamentals of the game.

As I've said before, he has a chance to prove himself Sunday's this year with pads on. I certainly hope he does, but we've all seen our fair share of talented WR's fade into oblivion before. So far he has underachieved.

Wow. I sure am glad that the coaching staff isn't as hard on rookies as you are.

Sure, none of that stuff is good, but I'll give him a pass because he was a rookie. He seems to be working hard to earn his spot according to the mini-camp and OTA reports so maybe that's a sign that he IS focusing more on the fundamentals of the game. I think too many people expect rookies to set the world on fire in their first year, and that simply is not the case 95% of the time. They need time to learn and get adjusted to the NFL, which usually happens in their second year. If Sweed doesn't show improvement this year, then you'd be right to question whether or not he has it. But as far as I'm concerned, he gets a mulligan for last year.

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Troy Edwards VASTLY outperformed Sweed in his rookie year.

Some of the Sweed apologists make it sound like being a rookie is like never playing ball before.

I'm just as hard on someone like Bruce Davis, who did ZERO last year. Only there's really nothing to talk about with him, and there aren't a bunch of threads talking about how great he's going to be based on....nothing.

I don't hate the kid or anything, he just drastically underachieved. It's nothing personal, and I hope he has a stellar 2009.

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Dupe post

thumper
06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
The Steelers started off like gangbusters in a lot of games last year but stalled after the first drive. I still think that Arians and his running Parker UP THE MIDDLE on first and second downs over and over kept too many games closer than they should have been. .
:thumbsup::applaudit:

thumper
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Troy Edwards VASTLY outperformed Sweed in his rookie year.

Some of the Sweed apologists make it sound like being a rookie is like never playing ball before.

I'm just as hard on someone like Bruce Davis, who did ZERO last year. Only there's really nothing to talk about with him, and there aren't a bunch of threads talking about how great he's going to be based on....nothing.

I don't hate the kid or anything, he just drastically underachieved. It's nothing personal, and I hope he has a stellar 2009.

1.) Every rookie WR not named Randy Moss or Marvin Harrison sucked. Jerry Rice wasn't even good as a rookie. I give rookie WR zero evaluation for what they do as a rookie. Hines Ward didn't do anything for like 3 years.

2.) 2008 Steelers were a Super Bowl caliber team. Rookies rarely do much on a team that is that good.

revefsreleets
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
He was on the field...he didn't do much with it.

As for the Parker up the middle comment, perhaps we should just rip those plays out of the playbook and only run Parker to the outside exclusively? Of course, that means he wouldn't have had the 75 yard TD run in the Super Bowl, and opposing DC's would be able to pretty much leave the middle of their run D open, but, eh, what fun are facts and figures when we can just wildly speculate?

MasterOfPuppets
06-16-2009, 07:32 PM
a lot of times it was a receiver missing the hot read
of course you can't blame the coaching for isolated mental errors from players, but when it happens, " a lot " , does that indicate a preperation problem ? :noidea:

Preacher
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
of course you can't blame the coaching for isolated mental errors from players, but when it happens, " a lot " , does that indicate a preperation problem ? :noidea:

Or does it indicate a reason why we let a receiver walk without even attempting to keep him?

tony hipchest
06-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Or does it indicate a reason why we let a receiver walk without even attempting to keep him?

which one? here is an interesting tidbit...

since our 15-1 season in 2004 (which i also think was arians first year as a steelers coach)

in the time since look at the wr's we have let walk-

a first, second, and third round pick (burress, randel el, reid), our only big free agent signing at the position (wilson- who was the consolation prize after houshmandzadeh rejected us for less money), and easilly a top five #3 in the league over the past 3 years (washington).

i really dont know if that is something to be proud of or ashamed of, or whether it represents success or failure.

BUT, in that span, we have won 2 superbowls and a wr has been named sb mvp twice. no other team has had 2 wr's win the award since... well, since the steelers (who in the 70's were also known as a defensive minded, smashmouth running team).

:noidea: im not quite sure what to make of it. the common denominator is ben, though, thats for sure.

Psyychoward86
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
which one? here is an interesting tidbit...

since our 15-1 season in 2004 (which i also think was arians first year as a steelers coach)

in the time since look at the wr's we have let walk-

a first, second, and third round pick (burress, randel el, reid), our only big free agent signing at the position (wilson- who was the consolation prize after houshmandzadeh rejected us for less money), and easilly a top five #3 in the league over the past 3 years (washington).

i really dont know if that is something to be proud of or ashamed of, or whether it represents success or failure.

BUT, in that span, we have won 2 superbowls and a wr has been named sb mvp twice. no other team has had 2 wr's win the award since... well, since the steelers (who in the 70's were also known as a defensive minded, smashmouth running team).

:noidea: im not quite sure what to make of it. the common denominator is ben, though, thats for sure.

We tried signing Housh a couple of years ago? :jawdrop:

MasterOfPuppets
06-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Or does it indicate a reason why we let a receiver walk without even attempting to keep him?i'm pretty sure they didn't spend a 2nd rounder on sweed just to have him as a #4 for the duration of his contract.... and what makes you think that the comment was directed at any particular reciever?

X-Terminator
06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
We tried signing Housh a couple of years ago? :jawdrop:

Yes they did, and as mentioned he took less money to stay with the Bungles. Could have been a 2x SB champion, but decided to play Hardy to Ocho Dinko's Laurel instead. Nice decision on his part. :coffee:

DACEB
06-17-2009, 06:23 AM

great point! as tony pointed out Ben is a common denominator, but arians is also as he was the wr's coach prior to oc.

fansince'76
06-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Burress was a malcontent who wanted to leave (good riddance), Snyder GROSSLY overpaid Randle El (like he does pretty much every FA the 'Skins sign) and Reid flat-out sucked and was given every opportunity to succeed but couldn't cut the mustard. Housh was ultimately the only loser by his decision, not the Steelers (he's the one who passed on two rings and a fatter paycheck by signing on to play for Captain Cornhole's Flying Circus in pursuit of individual numbers), and Washington may be missed, but he won't be greatly missed and he certainly isn't irreplaceable. Nothing to be ashamed of in any of that. The only "failure" in that group, if you want to call it that, was burning a 3rd round pick on Reid, but as far as the draft is concerned, you can't bat 1.000 all the time.