PDA

View Full Version : Not A Huge Loss At All

Rek
06-14-2009, 07:45 PM
With the Pens clinching the Stanley Cup, and the Buc's sucking as usual, I've been watching every game from the 2008 season that I downloaded and collected throughout last year.

I've noticed that losing Foote and McFadden is sad, but not detrimental, and the loss of Nate Washington may actually be great for the team. It gives a chance for Sweed, Wallace, etc. to get some reps and probably turn out to be 10x better than Nate.

In Week 12 against the Bengals and in the playoffs against the Bolts and Ravens, Nate was thrown to right on the NUMBERS and could not catch at all. The media keeps saying it will hurt the Steelers because he was fast and could jump high, but after re-watching the games, my feelings toward Washington has dropped. He was barely a good enough to be a 3rd receiver with his severe case of the "dropies" and his departure is nothing but good for the Steelers.

LVSteelersfan
06-14-2009, 08:57 PM
In Week 12 against the Bengals and in the playoffs against the Bolts and Ravens, Nate was thrown to right on the NUMBERS and could not catch at all. The media keeps saying it will hurt the Steelers because he was fast and could jump high, but after re-watching the games, my feelings toward Washington has dropped. He was barely a good enough to be a 3rd receiver with his severe case of the "dropies" and his departure is nothing but good for the Steelers.

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!! Nate was not a big loss at all. Foote it remains to be seen but I think Timmons will quickly make us forget about Foote. I hope we have someone in the wings waiting to take over for Farrior. He is getting a little long in the tooth as they say. Nate can be another sucky WR on that Titans team. I think they highly overpaid him and it will show when the Steelers rough him up in the first game of the season.

thumper
06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
With the Pens clinching the Stanley Cup, and the Buc's sucking as usual, I've been watching every game from the 2008 season that I downloaded and collected throughout last year.

I've noticed that losing Foote and McFadden is sad, but not detrimental, and the loss of Nate Washington may actually be great for the team. It gives a chance for Sweed, Wallace, etc. to get some reps and probably turn out to be 10x better than Nate.

Nate made some big plays but he dropped just as many. I really like the depth of the WRs heading into this season, with Holmes bordering on super star, Ward being Ward and Sweed and McDonald fighting for the rest of the balls. Wallace won't factor in much.

BlastFurnace
06-14-2009, 09:55 PM
We didn't think that REL was going to be a huge loss either...but he was. Like him or not, Nate came up big in the Dallas game and the 2nd Baltimore game.

Nate's loss will be measured by the success of Sweed or McDonald.

I don't agree about Foote. Foote was part of the chemistry of the defense. Foote was always in position. Not spectacular, but very...very steady.

SteelersMongol
06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
We didn't think that REL was going to be a huge loss either...but he was. Like him or not, Nate came up big in the Dallas game and the 2nd Baltimore game.

I don't agree about Foote. Foote was part of the chemistry of the defense. Foote was always in position. Not spectacular, but very...very steady.

WORD! :thumbsup:

When I was the that DVD highlights of our season, I thought Nate was actually pretty good. But I guess V'll C.

The Definiti0n
06-15-2009, 12:23 AM

I agree totally, I was just watching the Dallas game on NFL Network and Nate came up with 2 huge catches in the second half. We are going to miss his energy and his ability to stretch the field. I

The Duke
06-15-2009, 12:26 AM

Nate was one of the best #3 receivers in the league .and btw, severe case of dropsies would be braylon edwards. Santonio and hines both dropped more passes than nate

It gives a chance for Sweed, Wallace, etc. to get some reps and probably turn out to be 10x better than Nate.

Oh, ok.... :uhh:

at least we know nate can be a # 3 receiver. Sweed/McDonald/Wallace have not proven anything. Believe me, no loss is "good for the team"

at this point I am hoping sweed can play at nate's level. the fan in me hopes he becomes the next jerry rice of course, lol

Nate came up big in the Dallas game and the 2nd Baltimore game.

:thumbsup:

exactly, and in the critical moments when we needed him

pancake
06-15-2009, 02:06 AM
I don't like losing Nate, but I think McFadden is a bigger loss. I am not sold on Gay, but I am pulling for him to step up.

Galax Steeler
06-15-2009, 03:37 AM
. Wallace won't factor in much.

I would not say that yet if the man has some good hand and route running then he could very well be in the mix. He ran a 4.34 so he has the speed to get it done.:wink02:

mulldog24
06-15-2009, 09:01 AM
We will miss Nate and B-Mac as they were part of our SB 43 team. However, we will do as we allways do and bring guys in to compete and replinish those positions as well as some other needs and hopfully repeat!!!!!!

austinfrench76
06-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Shaun McDonald is the Mewelde Moore pick up of 2009. I really think his veteran play making ability will shine in that slot position ala Wes Welker. Sweed doesnt have to start right away. What a great spot to be in!

LVSteelersfan
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I am not saying Nate was bad by any means. He just let the dollar signs cloud his judgement. We could not keep everyone. He was just one of the casualties. He did drop too many passes over the past couple years for my taste though. But so did all the the WRs. My taste, however, means they have to catch everything thrown their way, so I am not the best critic.

BlockMonsta
06-15-2009, 06:08 PM
I dont like the loss of any of them, how ever I do want to see what both Sweed and LT can do. As far as Gay, I am not to worried, just hope he plays better then he did against the Gaints.

The Duke
06-15-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't like losing Nate, but I think McFadden is a bigger loss. I am not sold on Gay, but I am pulling for him to step up.

Considering he played just as much as BMac last year, and he was the one who started against powerful offenses like the colts pats bolts and cowboys, I have no worries about Gay.

We may miss having experienced depth with mcfadden, but as a starter we won't miss him. And until Sweed/McDonald/Wallace prove they can play I can't say the same about losing nate

FSUBoo
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Personally, I thought that Nate came up big in some BIG games for us in his career. If not for having Dominique Rodgers Cromartie's speed, the Cardinals may have gotten beat worse and we wouldn't have had to have the thrilling comeback. Don't forget Nate was WIDE OPEN deep down the field but Rodgers Cromartie just ran him down.

The_WARDen
06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
We shall see if they are a huge loss or not.

As I am constantly told when I criticize the Oline, those players were good enough to be part of a team that won a Super Bowl.

:noidea:

thumper
06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Shaun McDonald is the Mewelde Moore pick up of 2009. I really think his veteran play making ability will shine in that slot position ala Wes Welker. Sweed doesnt have to start right away. What a great spot to be in!

I told anyone who would listen that Welker would be huge for the Pats when they picked him up. I was at the home opener in 2006 when he was ripping Pgh as a Fin. And you are on the $ that McDonald will be the "where did he come from" player this season. I love that pick up. Very nice move.

Galax Steeler
06-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I told anyone who would listen that Welker would be huge for the Pats when they picked him up. I was at the home opener in 2006 when he was ripping Pgh as a Fin. And you are on the $ that McDonald will be the "where did he come from" player this season. I love that pick up. Very nice move.

I honestly beleive that we will have one of the best receiving cores in the league this year. Maybe not the top 1 or 2 but maybe 3. We have the talent along with a quarterback that can get it done.

pittsburghp8baller
06-16-2009, 02:59 PM

First off i gotta say you obviously havent been watching the Pirates, only three games under .500 and only 4 games out of first.

But on to the topic, i agree. Almost every year we lose parts of our team that have everyone else saying that there is almost no way we can compete and every year management shows why they are the best in the business

pancake
06-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I honestly beleive that we will have one of the best receiving cores in the league this year. Maybe not the top 1 or 2 but maybe 3. We have the talent along with a quarterback that can get it done.

I think your over raking the WR group. I would settle with a top ten group, to go along with our great QB, improved running game and #1 defense...:applaudit:

pancake
06-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Considering he played just as much as BMac last year, and he was the one who started against powerful offenses like the colts pats bolts and cowboys, I have no worries about Gay.

We may miss having experienced depth with mcfadden, but as a starter we won't miss him. And until Sweed/McDonald/Wallace prove they can play I can't say the same about losing nate

B-Mac is an up and coming CB in my opinion. I think Gay can hold his own, but is a down grade.

Dino 6 Rings
06-17-2009, 11:02 AM
The thing about Nate, watching the recap of the season DVD including the Super Bowl, is he was very good during the Regular Season, but in the playoffs...he disappeared from the highlight reel. That's been his modis operandi the entire time.

Regular season, he had 3 touchdowns. His biggest game was against the Jags week 3, 6 catches 94 yards, 1 TD.
Following week, 2 catches with a 50 yarder, for a total of 54 yards and 1 TD
Following week 1 catch, for 65 yards and a TD.

He didn't score again the rest of the season starting with week 6.

Then the playoffs. 3 catches 30 yards vs Chargers. 3 catches 21 yards vs Baltimore, 1 catch 11 yards in the Super Bowl.

Total for the season. 40 catches 631 yards, 15.8 yard per catch average, 3 TDS.

I believe we can get that productivity out of any of the guys on our Current Roster at the #3 WR Spot.

Rek
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
First off i gotta say you obviously havent been watching the Pirates, only three games under .500 and only 4 games out of first.

But on to the topic, i agree. Almost every year we lose parts of our team that have everyone else saying that there is almost no way we can compete and every year management shows why they are the best in the business

I suppose for the Pirates, a losing record of THAT caliber is better than usual. That's when you know your team is terrible, when you start comparing how good a losing record is compared to 17 years of losing records. :flap:

St33lersguy
06-17-2009, 03:34 PM

Not to mention all the "experts" who keep saying Nate the not so great will really help the Titans

wezx
06-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Here's to Braylon Edwards CONTINUING to drop passes this year as well!

Fire Haley
06-19-2009, 06:21 AM
We shall see if they are a huge loss or not.

Truth

We won't know anything till the games start.

Wishing and hoping and jabberwocky