Ben Lovejoy(Restricted)-The Jury Is Out
Paul Bisonette(Restricted)-Could be a future enforcer to replace Godard
John Curry(Restricted)-Sign him back. Better Back Up Option over Garon
Tim Wallace(Restricted)-The Jury Is Out

The Current Rumors from The Insider on Pittsburgh Sports
Current Penguins
Petr Sykora-Pens plan to let him test the Market
Mirsolav Satan-Currently no interest in re-signing him
Mike Zigomanis-Could be signed to a 1 or 2 year deal by the Draft(June 26-27)

Other NHL Free Agents
Jay Bouwmester-Drawing Interest from Washington, Philadelphia, Vancouver, Montreal, New Jersey, Colorado, Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Los Angeles, and Dallas. Supposedly top man avaliable.
Marian Hossa- 8 year 40 million deal on table from Detroit. Other possible teams are Edmonton, Anaheim, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Montreal, Vancouver, Boston(He wants to go here if Cap room allows), Chicago, and San Jose.
Mike Komisarek-Montreal Wants to resign him, but New Jersey, Philadelphia, NY Islanders, Washington, New Jersey, and San Jose are rumored with Devils, Flyers and Islanders offering the most lucrative deals.
Daniel Sedin-Atlanta(also could take Henrik.) NY Islanders, Vancouver, Toronto, Florida, and Minnesota could have a say in his future.
Marian Gaborik-Minnesota, Vancouver, San Jose, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Los Angeles, Atlanta. Not expected to get over $6 Million due to the Cap and Injury concerns. Pittsburgh could be involved to
Martin Havlat-Dallas, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, and Calgary have expressed interest. He has a strong interest in staying put with the Hawks.
Scott Niedermayer-Anaheim, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Vancouver are interested.

pittsburghp8baller
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
i had everything ready to go to make this thread, but i wasnt sure when a good time to make it would be.

Bill Guerin- Sign him if possible
Petr Sykora- Let him walk
Miro Satan- Walk
Philippe Boucher- Let Go (he wont sign two-way)
Fedotenko- Resign
Hal Gill- Let Him Walk
Mathieu Garon- Let Him Walk
Janne Pesonen- Resign
Rob Scuderi- try to resign, if we cant get him by july 1, its gonna be hard i jus know someone is gonna pay out there ass for him
Mike Zigomanis- Resign
Craig Adams- Resign
Jeff Taffe- Wait on
Chris Minard- Great minor leaguer, resign
Connor James- Wait On

Restricted FA
Alex Goligoski- Resign
Ben Lovejoy- Resign, he was an AHL all-star, and could be a decent 6th/7th d-man
Biz Nasty- might as well resign
John Curry- Next year's back up more than likely, resign
Tim Wallace- played well in a fourth line role, resign

NEPAsteeler
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
With some of these guys most likely being resigned and playing for Pittsburgh, I'm curious to see who's going to playing for the Baby Pens up here in Wilkes-Barre. I'm most interested in the goalie since John Curry is most likely going to be the back-up for Marc-Andre Fleury.

SteelCityMan786
06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
More Rumors According to Insider on Pittsburgh Sports

Mike Cammalleri-Toronto, Calgary, Chicago, Dallas, New Jersey. Could earn up to 5.3 Million. Calgary strongly wants to keep him.
Henrik Sedin-Atlanta, NY Islanders, Vancouver, Toronto, Florida, Minnesota. Wants to go where brother goes.
Nikoali Khabibulin-Chicago, Edmonton, Washington?, Los Angeles, KHL. Washington has interest in him being Varlamov's mentor.
Mattius Ohlund-Tampa Bay, Montreal, Philadelphia, New Jersey, San Jose
Alex Tanguay-Montreal, Edmonton, Florida, Chicago, Columbus. Montreal still wants him to stay.
Rob Blake-San Jose, Chicago, Detroit, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh. Considering a 1 year offer and wants to play for a Cup Contender.

KeiselPower99
06-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Rob Blake. WOW didnt even know he was still playing.

Steel Head
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Rob Scuderi is the most important free agent they need to sign. He is "the piece" afterall

They'll figure out their wing situation. There might be some free agents from other teams that want to come play here. We will re-sign Zigomanis for our 4th line center and keep Talbot in the top-6. How about we bring back Kovalev!!!!!

Hopefully Gill is a goner

Steel Head
06-16-2009, 01:39 PM
i had everything ready to go to make this thread, but i wasnt sure when a good time to make it would be.

Bill Guerin- Sign him if possible
Petr Sykora- Let him walk
Miro Satan- Walk
Philippe Boucher- Let Go (he wont sign two-way)
Fedotenko- Resign
Hal Gill- Let Him Walk
Mathieu Garon- Let Him Walk
Janne Pesonen- Resign
Rob Scuderi- try to resign, if we cant get him by july 1, its gonna be hard i jus know someone is gonna pay out there ass for him
Mike Zigomanis- Resign
Craig Adams- Resign
Jeff Taffe- Wait on
Chris Minard- Great minor leaguer, resign
Connor James- Wait On

Restricted FA
Alex Goligoski- Resign
Ben Lovejoy- Resign, he was an AHL all-star, and could be a decent 6th/7th d-man
Biz Nasty- might as well resign
John Curry- Next year's back up more than likely, resign
Tim Wallace- played well in a fourth line role, resign

I agree with all this

KeiselPower99
06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Satan really disappointed me.

Fire Haley
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Let me get my damn hat first - geeze.

Steel Head
06-16-2009, 01:59 PM

oh well, atleast he played well in the playoffs

not re-signing Hossa really threw a monkey wrench in their plans last year. They had to settle with signing Satan and Fedetenko to 1-year deals.

This time around they will have a better plan on who to sign and also their farm system is a lot better. I trust in Shero

HometownGal
06-16-2009, 04:10 PM

He sure didn't disappoint me in the playoffs - when he was in the lineup, he played hard and very well defensively.

Here's my take on your list, Matt:

Bill Guerin-Resign him if possible if he will take a bit of a discount or front load his contract. He's currently making $4.5 mil.

Petr Sykora-Same deal. I think he's as good as gone.

Miroslav Satan-Probable to walk. Not sure about Miro yet. I think he still can bring it and he played well in the playoffs.

Philippe Boucher-If he agrees to a 2 way He's probably gone, as well.

Ruslan Fedotenko-He could be a great role player for the future. Have to keep Tank - he was absolutely great in the playoffs on both ends of the ice and had a decent regular season.

Hal Gill-Comes back if Scuderi doesn't. I say SIGN HIM. He and Scuds played phenomenally in the playoffs, but especially in the finals. With that big body, he forces guys off the puck as good as I've seen it out there. If Bylsma thought he was a detriment to the team, he sure as hell wouldn't have put him out there against all of the top lines or given him that boatload of ice time throughout the playoffs.

Mathieu Garon-I think he walks. Though he did at least hold the fort in Game 5. Ditch him and bring up Curry to back up Fleury.

Janne Pesonen-Signs and possibly could be on the ice. Agreed.

Rob Scuderi-He's a top priority signing. Most definitely, but he could probably get $4.5 to $5 mil in the market, which I don't think the Pens are willing to pay, sadly.

Mike Zigomanis-Sign him. Could be a great benefit to the face-offs. This is a MUST signing.

Craig Adams-The Jury is out. Don't think he'll be back next season, as he was pretty much a rental player. I was very impressed with his post-season play, though.

Jeff Taffe-The Jury Is Out. Agreed.

Bill Thomas-The Jury Is Out. Agreed.

Chris Minard-The Jury Is Out. Agreed for the most part.

Connor James-The Jury Is Out. Agreed.

Alex Goligoski(Restricted)-Could be a great piece to the D-man puzzle. I think we definitely should sign him to a 2-3 year deal.

Ben Lovejoy(Restricted)-The Jury Is Out. He's no Gonchar, but I think he has a lot of potential as a defenseman.

Paul Bisonette(Restricted)-Could be a future enforcer to replace Godard. I love this guy and he's as tough as nails. Hang onto him.

John Curry(Restricted)-Sign him back. Better Back Up Option over Garon. HELL YEAH!!!

Tim Wallace(Restricted)-The Jury Is Out. Agreed.

X-Terminator
06-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Let me get my damn hat first - geeze.

Sorry dude, but FA is just 15 days away. Yes, the Pens won the cup 5 days ago, but it's something that needs to be discussed.

Bill Guerin - Re-sign (2 years, 6 million tops). Have to keep him around.
Petr Sykora - Wouldn't surprise me if he's brought back at the same price (2.5 million)
Miroslav Satan - Gone.
Philippe Boucher - Gone.
Ruslan Fedotenko - To me, a MUST re-sign. This guy is money in the playoffs.
Hal Gill- Comes back if Scuderi doesn't - Agree here.
Mathieu Garon - Gone. John Curry will take over the backup duties next season.
Janne Pesonen - He wants to come back, that's a plus. But he'll not want to waste away in the AHL again either. Wouldn't shock me if he goes back home.
Rob Scuderi - Another MUST re-sign. I don't think he's going to get as much as people think, so they may be able to keep him for $3 million per. If so, then as mentioned, Gill probably will be gone.
Mike Zigomanis - Another MUST re-sign, for his face-off prowess. The Pens got raped twice by the Wings in the Final, losing 70% of the draws in games 1 and 7.
Craig Adams - Gone.
Jeff Taffe - Serviceable AHL call-up. Re-sign.
Bill Thomas - Ditto
Chris Minard - May be gone if Eric Tangradi is truly ready to go next season.
Connor James - Gone. Casey Pierro-Zabotel takes his spot.

Alex Goligoski(Restricted) - Will be on the 3rd D pairing with the Pens next season
Ben Lovejoy(Restricted) - Re-sign
Paul Bisonette(Restricted) - Depends on how he responds to his wrist surgery. If he is expected to fully recover, then yes, re-sign him for the extra toughness he brings. He's not really an enforcer-type though - Aaron Boogaard (brother of Minnesota's Derek) is being groomed as the Pens' next enforcer.
John Curry(Restricted) - Will be Fleury's back-up next season. Re-sign.
Tim Wallace(Restricted) - Re-sign. Can bring energy to the 3rd and 4th line with the Pens as needed.

As for Rob Blake, has this guy wh0red himself out more than any player in the league? He's washed up anyway. Hope the Pens avoid him. I'd love to have Marty Havlat though, and they'd be able to get him on the cheap despite the numbers he put up last season.

KeiselPower99
06-17-2009, 08:30 AM
I heard on Sportsbeat last night that Sykora and Satan have offers from European teams. Satan played very good in playoffs but his regular season was spotty. I would love to have him back though.

steelersfanman92
06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I would hate to see Satan go, but as most of you said he probably will. Goligoski will most likely be on the Pens all next season and hopefully be in the mold of Gonchar as the offensive defenseman.

Im not a fan of Gill he just doesn't seem to be willing to go into contact as much as you would think with his size, but I have to give him credit with how he played in the finals he made some good plays, but he shouldn't be back if Scuds resigns.

I think that the players that need to be resigned the most are definetly Guerin and Feditenko.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2009, 02:53 PM
It appears according to TIOPS, Shero is set to meet with Miro Satan's reps this Wednesday. I don't understand. He wasn't too bad in the playoffs, but the regular season, he baffled me quite a bit.

X-Terminator
06-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Why in the world would they bring him back? Where is he going to play? His playoff performance notwithstanding, he's not a 4th line player, which is where he's going to be if they keep Max Talbot on Geno's line. The fact that they are talking to him means that Petr Sykora will not be brought back.

pittsburghp8baller
06-21-2009, 06:17 PM
yeah, i do not know why we would bring Satan back. Yeah he played better in the playoffs but that doesnt really make up for the regular season. If he does it better be for a lot less than 3.5 that we gave him this past year. Im guessing if we sign Satan, Tank would not be coming back which would suck big time

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
He played well in the playoffs, but I'd much rather have Petr Sykora over him every day of the week. I think he'd be able to be a great asset again to Geno on his line. Satan as XT said is a 4th liner at best. If Satan continued to show how a stop down in WBS helped him, then I might say different. Otherwise, I don't know why you would want him back.

OneForTheToe
06-22-2009, 12:13 AM
Rob Scuderi is the most important free agent they need to sign. He is "the piece" afterall

They'll figure out their wing situation. There might be some free agents from other teams that want to come play here. We will re-sign Zigomanis for our 4th line center and keep Talbot in the top-6. How about we bring back Kovalev!!!!!

Hopefully Gill is a goner

I also think Zigomanis is a key. With his face-off prowess, if he can center the fourth line, then I really like Talbot on Geno's line. I want Scuderi as well, but we simply can't break the bank for him. Remember, unless we think Sarge is going to retire after next season, we will need to work out an extension with him as well as Letang.

If we lose both Scuderi and Gill that would make me worry a bit. Still, if it is part of the plan to extend some of our guys coming up, then I can deal.

To me, Billy G, gets signed to a two year contract if he is willing.

SteelCityMan786
06-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Rumors from TIOPS/Confirmations from TIOPS

CONFIRMED:Bill Guerin signed to a 1 year 2 Million Dollar Deal(See Pens Tidbits for more info.)

CONFIRMED:Craig Adams signed 2 year 1.1 Million Dollar Deal(See Pens Tidbits for more info.)

RUMORED:Shero will NOT offer a contract to Satan before July 1

RUMORED:The Penguins are close to a 2 year 1.5 million dollar deal with Mike Zigomanis.

X-Terminator
06-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I didn't see this thread before posting the Adams and Guerin signings. Getting both of those guys for a total of $2.55 million next season is a bargain and a half. Guerin can also earn up to an additional $850,000 in incentives and has a no-trade clause. Those 2 deals may make it possible for the Pens to at least make a decent offer to Rob Scuderi, but we'll see.

They must re-sign Ziggy. Pronto. $750,000 per year is a bargain for what he brings to the team. Imagine how much better the Pens would have been with their puck-possession game throughout the playoffs if they had him out there on faceoffs. The Wings had at least 3 goals that I can remember that came directly off faceoffs - those probably don't happen if Ziggy is taking the draws. I really believe he'd have made enough of a difference for the Pens to win one of the first 2 games in Detroit, and the Pens winning the series in 6 rather than 7.

I'm still not sure why they want to re-sign Satan, unless they want to put him on Geno's line with Tank (assuming they re-sign him), but with Max Talbot playing so well with them in the Final, why break them up? I don't understand it.

X-Terminator
06-30-2009, 12:02 AM
BTW, the Habs are cleaning house and are letting Saku Koivu and Alex Tanguay go. Anyone think we should take a shot at Tanguay? He's been a pretty good scorer in the past. He didn't have a good season this year, but he was injured for a large part of it and most of the Habs underachieved big time anyway. What I don't get is that they let them go, but are keeping Kovalev and are offering him the captaincy, when at one point last year they sent him home during a road trip and had a terrible season by his standards.

Steel Head
06-30-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm still not sure why they want to re-sign Satan, unless they want to put him on Geno's line with Tank (assuming they re-sign him), but with Max Talbot playing so well with them in the Final, why break them up? I don't understand it.

Yeah, they should just leave Talbot on the second line and let Zigomanus play 4th line center

Steel Head
06-30-2009, 07:43 AM
BTW, the Habs are cleaning house and are letting Saku Koivu and Alex Tanguay go. Anyone think we should take a shot at Tanguay? He's been a pretty good scorer in the past. He didn't have a good season this year, but he was injured for a large part of it and most of the Habs underachieved big time anyway. What I don't get is that they let them go, but are keeping Kovalev and are offering him the captaincy, when at one point last year they sent him home during a road trip and had a terrible season by his standards.

that's odd. I thought for sure they were letting Kovalev go, and that's who i wanted the Pens to get

KeiselPower99
06-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Go for Tanguay.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM

i say we take a shot, if the price is right. Tanguay was one of my favorite players when he played for colorado and would love for him to play in Pittsburgh as long as he doesnt cost to much.

Im really surprised at the moves the Habs are making, i always figured Koivu would be a Canadien till he retired.

Good news on the Guerin and Adams' signing, and for a hell of a bargain, and if we can get Zigomanis to sign before FA starts that would help us big time know where we stand on the Cap.

Tommorrow is so fun because so much happens right off the back, not like football where it takes a few days for anything, if anything happends. Hockey most of the big names are signed tommorrow and all the role players are filled in later days

X-Terminator
06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
BTW, the Pens will not be bringing back Mike Zigomanis, per the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09181/980817-100.stm). That could turn out to be a huge mistake given how badly they were raped by the Wings on draws in the Final and how bad they were down the stretch of the season. I guess Sid is our best faceoff man again...

Pittsburghfan
06-30-2009, 12:44 PM
With Zigomanis not coming back I'm guessing the 4th line center is Dustin Jefferey's job to lose.

X-Terminator
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
With Zigomanis not coming back I'm guessing the 4th line center is Dustin Jefferey's job to lose.

You would be correct.

Steel Head
06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
i dont know.

Talbot was a pretty good 4th line center last year

Pittsburghfan
06-30-2009, 03:04 PM
i dont know.

Talbot was a pretty good 4th line center last year

Didn't Bylsma say he won't be a 4th liner anymore? I imagine Talbot starts on Geno's wing unless wingers are signed for him.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Didn't Bylsma say he won't be a 4th liner anymore? I imagine Talbot starts on Geno's wing unless wingers are signed for him.

if we use Max at winger and use someone from WBS to fill the 4th line, that will save some money towards filling that other winger spot left open on Geno's line. Whether it be Tank or someone else we bring, all i know is..

Cant wait till noon tommorrow!!

Pittsburghfan
06-30-2009, 05:41 PM

You're not alone. I am going to make sure no one bothers me tomorrow.

pittsburghp8baller
06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Two pre-free agency deals done

One set in stone, the other awaiting approval

Heatley to the Oilers, needs his approval first
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283356

Scott Gomez to the Habs
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283329

Pittsburghfan
06-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Heatley had until midnight to waive his NTC, and he didn't according to Bob McKenzie. Heatley is still with Ottawa.

X-Terminator
06-30-2009, 11:58 PM
That is true, but Ottawa still has 24 hours to trade him, or they'll be on the hook for a $4 million roster bonus. There was some speculation that the Gomez trade was done to clear cap space for Heatley to go to the Rangers, which can still happen. I hope it doesn't - I'd rather not see another division rival improve like the Flyers did by getting Pronger.

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 06:52 AM

Me too!

2 things I am looking forward to.....

- who will our last d-man be? Scuderi or a new guy....F U Hal Gill

- new sidekick for Geno......Bertuzzi maybe?

Pittsburghfan
07-01-2009, 09:33 AM
new sidekick for Geno......Bertuzzi maybe?

I hope its Steve Sullivan cheap.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Me too!

2 things I am looking forward to.....

- who will our last d-man be? Scuderi or a new guy....F U Hal Gill

- new sidekick for Geno......Bertuzzi maybe?

I've heard rumors that they could be after Havlat. If their demand is lower then the anticipated 5.25 Million some project him to get, I say Mr. Shero should go after him.

Pittsburghfan
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I've heard rumors that they could be after Havlat. If their demand is lower then the anticipated 5.25 Million some project him to get, I say Mr. Shero should go after him.

This also because Shero is close with Havlat's agent (Allen Walsh I believe). I would be happy if we could get Havlat.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Sedins stay in Vancouver

That would of been interesting if they hit the market where they could of ended up.

12:01, lets see who will be the first big name to sign

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 11:13 AM
This also because Shero is close with Havlat's agent (Allen Walsh I believe). I would be happy if we could get Havlat.

You are indeed correct.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM

i dont think we will get him, Havlat is pretty set on a long term deal and i dont think Shero is gonna dish out a long term deal on a injury proned player

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
And Mattias Ohlund is the first major player to go - he signed with the Lightning.

As for Havlat, forget it, unless the Pens can trade Pascal Dupuis. They only have a little more than $5 million to spend, and they aren't going to spend it all on one player.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 11:24 AM
And Mattias Ohlund is the first major player to go - he signed with the Lightning.

As for Havlat, forget it, unless the Pens can trade Pascal Dupuis. They only have a little more than $5 million to spend, and they aren't going to spend it all on one player.

thats big for the Lighting, now they got someone to play with Hedman to break him in

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
7 years, $3.75 mm per year.

Huh? Was Brian Lawton under the influence when he offered that contract? Ohlund is 32 for crying out loud. Horrible contract, from perhaps the worst GM in the league.

SteelMember
07-01-2009, 11:30 AM
For anyone interested, NHL.com is streaming NHL live until 2pm, then it will pick up the TSN broadcast until 6pm. If you have XM, then this means nothing. :chuckle:

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
7 years, $3.75 mm per year.

Huh? Was Brian Lawton under the influence when he offered that contract? Ohlund is 32 for crying out loud. Horrible contract, from perhaps the worst GM in the league.

he lost his creditbility with me when he was one of the people calling for fighting to be banned (i believe it was him).

good move to bring in Ohlund, bad move on the contract

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 11:41 AM
he lost his creditbility with me when he was one of the people calling for fighting to be banned (i believe it was him).

good move to bring in Ohlund, bad move on the contract

Yes, he was one, along with Mike Modano, the puss that he is. Wings' GM Ken Holland was also on that bandwagon, which is yet one more reason to hate Detroit.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Yes, he was one, along with Mike Modano, the puss that he is. Wings' GM Ken Holland was also on that bandwagon, which is yet one more reason to hate Detroit.

Modano may be a puss but he was one of my favorite players growing up. My first year playing hockey i wore number 9 (this was a little after the 98 olympics) until i changed to defense and changed my number again.

Pittsburghfan
07-01-2009, 11:53 AM
TSN said Hossa to the Blackhawks is close. If Hossa signs then Havlat won't.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Rob Rossi from the trib reports that the Penguins could be interested in Mike Knuble.

Pittsburghfan
07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Kovalev signed with MTL. 2yrs/8.8

The rumor is now that we could be close to a trade with the flames, Dupuis + godard for Curtis Glenncross

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Why do they want to get rid of Godard? I can understand Dupuis though.

Pittsburghfan
07-01-2009, 12:07 PM

For Biz-Nasty? :noidea:

And Glenncross set an unofficial record for fastest skater in Edmonton. He is signed through 2010-2011 at 1.2 so only 200,00 less that Dupuis.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 12:09 PM

didnt really have a need for him at the end of the season. we got Biz Nasty that we can use if we trade Godard.

For now its just a rumor. Quiet first hour, just Ohlund and Dvorak.

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I will bitch profusely if the Pens trade Godard. Biz Nasty is nowhere NEAR the deterrent that Godard is, and cannot handle the major HWs. We had a soft as shit lineup last year WITH Godard, Cup win aside. Without him, we might challenge Detroit for the softest team in the league.

Pittsburghfan
07-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Now on Darren Dreger's twitter is saying Kovalev's agent is saying its not a done deal.

Pittsburghfan
07-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Sorry for maybe a double post, but any chance that Tim Wallace and Biz start the year with the big club?

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Sorry for maybe a double post, but any chance that Tim Wallace and Biz start the year with the big club?

only if we do pull that trade

resigning Adams probably keeps Wallace in the AHL or gets him to sign else where

Colt Orr signs with the Maple Leafs so that limits the Orr/Godard brawls we get to see next year

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Apparently the Stars have offered Scuderi 4 years, $13-14 million. Have a nice career, Scuds, and your welcome for the ring. Too bad you won't be winning another one.

Honestly though, good for him if this is true - it's an overpayment by about a million bucks per year, but he's earned it. He was the Pens best defensive D-man all year.

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 12:44 PM
It's official now - Kovalev has re-signed with Montreal. 2 years, $8.75 million.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Craig Anderson to Colorado

Hossa has reportedly signed with chicago

also, Toronto is close to tradina Pavel Kubina to Atlanta, part of the deal would involve Colby Armstrong

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Craig Anderson to Colorado

Hossa has reportedly signed with chicago

Darren Dreger is reporting that it's a done deal. Now, the ultimate kick in the balls would be if Detroit wins the Cup next year, and gets there by beating Hossa and the Hawks along the way.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Darren Dreger is reporting that it's a done deal. Now, the ultimate kick in the balls would be if Detroit wins the Cup next year, and gets there by beating Hossa and the Hawks along the way.

now with Hossa, Detroit will probably have to go through Chicago again.

Wonder if they try and move Huet at some point

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Rumor is that it is a 12 year, $62 million contract, per TSN. The Hawks are officially screwed when it comes time to re-sign all their young talent.

Also, Craig Anderson got 2 years, $3.6 million, the Blues signed Ty Conklin to a 2 year, $2.6 million and the Bolts just signed Matt Walker to a 4 year, $6.8 million deal, all per TSN.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Ty Conklin signed a two year deal with St. Louis. Mathieu Garon was another goalie there were looking at, i guess they still may go that way too

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Rumor is that it is a 12 year, $62 million contract, per TSN. The Hawks are officially screwed when it comes time to re-sign all their young talent.

Also, Craig Anderson got 2 years, $3.6 million, and the Bolts just signed Matt Walker to a 4 year, $6.8 million deal.

Bolts are really addressing that Defense, i like that signing. Matt Walker is one of those old school no non-sense type of players. Dislocated his finger, left the game and 5 minutes later was back in the game

KeiselPower99
07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I figured Conklin would end up in Colorado.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Dwayne Roloson to the Islanders 2 year- 5 million. Not Official yet

Edit- Now Official

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Dwayne Roloson to the Islanders 2 year- 5 million. Not Official yet

Edit- Now Official

Someone to step in after DiPietro's inevitable injury.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Steve Montador signs with Buffalo

Sportsnet says Rangers out of the Heatley race

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, I'm off to bed so that I can at least get a few hours sleep before heading to work tonight. Hopefully the Pens will either sign or trade for someone of note, but I'm not counting on it.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 01:51 PM
word was that we offered Mike Knuble a one year contract

now the word is Knuble accepted a deal with the Capitals- Edit- Confirmed

Brashear is a Ranger now, two year deal

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Mike Knuble would be a good signing for us

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Khabibulin is off to Edmonton

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I think there is a good chance we will sign Scuderi similar to how we signed Orpik last year. Let them test the waters then come back and sign a slightly discounted deal to stay in da 'burgh

I still have no idea what winger we will sign though :noidea:

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Penguins sign Forward Mike Rupp

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=433061

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Mike Rupp to a two-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Rupp, 29, played 72 games with the New Jersey Devils this season, collecting nine points (three goals, six assists) along with 136 penalty minutes. Rupp appeared in seven games with the Devils tallying 14 penalty minutes during the post season.

The 6-5, 230-pound winger has played parts of six seasons with the New Jersey Devils, Columbus Blue Jackets, and the Phoenix Coyotes from 2002-2009, including two stints with the Devils. Rupp won the Stanley Cup in 2003 with New Jersey, contributing three points (one goal, two assists) in a 3-0 win over Anaheim in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

“We are excited to have Mike as a part of our hockey club for the next two seasons,” said Ray Shero. “He brings a physical presence along with leadership and experience as a Stanley Cup Champion.”

The veteran winger has tallied 53 points (27 goals, 26 assists) along with 412 penalty minutes in 335 career games in the NHL. Rupp has appeared in 25 career post-season games, collecting six points (one goal, five assists) and 23 penalty minutes.

The native of Cleveland, Ohio was originally selected by the New York Islanders in the first round (9th overall) of the 1998 Entry Draft before re-entering the draft in 2000 and being selected by New Jersey in the third round (76th overall).

4th Line is looking pretty crowded right about now

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Canadiens sign Hal Gill. I guess we best get Scuderi under contract now.

KeiselPower99
07-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Whats the word on Scuderi?

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 06:50 PM
4th Line is looking pretty crowded right about now

Hopefully they trade Dupuis + draft picks/prospect for Glencross

Then the lineup is set

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Glencross - Malkin - Talbot
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Adams - Godard

They better not friggin trade Godard, they need him bad. Look how much money Orr and Brashear got today

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2009, 06:56 PM
From TIOPS

Steve Sullivan has resigned with the Predators.

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Free agency frenzy tracker

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11850

Jul 1, 6:26PM Garon, Mathieu Pittsburgh Columbus $2.4M 2 $1.2M
Jul 1, 6:26PM Strudwick, Jason Edmonton Edmonton $700K 1 $700K
Jul 1, 5:22PM Pahlsson, Samuel Chicago Columbus $7.95M 3 $2.65M
Jul 1, 5:13PM Sullivan, Steve Nashville Nashville $7.5M 2 $3.75M
Jul 1, 5:09PM Begin, Steve Dallas Boston $850K 1 $850K
Jul 1, 4:55PM Komisarek, Mike Montreal Toronto $22.5 5 $4.5M
Jul 1, 4:48PM Fiddler, Vernon Nashville Phoenix $2.2M 2 $1.1M
Jul 1, 4:45PM Zanon, Greg Nashville Minnesota $5.8M 3 $1.93M
Jul 1, 4:43PM Bitz, Byron Boston Boston n/a n/a n/a
Jul 1, 4:32PM Cammalleri, Mike Calgary Montreal $30M 5 $6M
Jul 1, 4:11PM Koci, David Tampa Bay Colorado $575K 1 $575K
Jul 1, 4:10PM Huskins, Kent San Jose San Jose $3.4M 2 $1.7M
Jul 1, 3:46PM Gill, Hal Pittsburgh Montreal $4.5M 2 $2.25M
Jul 1, 3:46PM Rupp, Michael New Jersey Pittsburgh $1.65M 2 $825K
Jul 1, 3:39PM Laperriere, Ian Colorado Philadelphia $3.5M 3 $1.17M
Jul 1, 3:33PM Clemmensen, Scott New Jersey Florida $3.6M 3 $1.2M
Jul 1, 3:26PM Cole, Erik Carolina Carolina $5.8M 2 $2.9M
Jul 1, 3:08PM Pardy, Adam Calgary Calgary n/a n/a n/a
Jul 1, 3:07PM Khabibulin, Nikolai Chicago Edmonton $15M 4 $3.75M
Jul 1, 2:56PM Spacek, Jaroslav Buffalo Montreal $11.5M 3 $3.83M
Jul 1, 2:41PM Boucher, Brian San Jose Philadelphia $1.85M 2 $925K
Jul 1, 2:18PM Krajicek, Lukas Tampa Bay Tampa Bay n/a 1 n/a
Jul 1, 2:12PM Ward, Joel Nashville Nashville $3M 2 $1.5M
Jul 1, 2:11PM Rome, Aaron Columbus Vancouver $550K 1 $550K
Jul 1, 2:11PM Niedermayer, Scott Anaheim Anaheim $6M 1 $6M
Jul 1, 1:56PM Brashear, Donald Washington NY Rangers $2.8M 2 $1.4M
Jul 1, 1:55PM Knuble, Mike Philadelphia Washington $5.6M 2 $2.8M
Jul 1, 1:44PM Montador, Steve Boston Buffalo $3.1M 2 $1.55M
Jul 1, 1:32PM Kopecky, Tomas Detroit Chicago $2.4M 2 $1.2M
Jul 1, 1:26PM Roloson, Dwayne Edmonton NY Islanders $5M 2 $2.5M

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Montreal signed Hal 'no skill' Gill

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

:toofunny::toofunny:

:rofl:

:hatsoff:

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Philly gets Laperriere and Pronger.

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Philly gets Laperriere and Pronger.

more reasons for the Pens not to trade Godard

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Hopefully they trade Dupuis + draft picks/prospect for Glencross

Then the lineup is set

Kunitz - Crosby - Guerin
Glencross - Malkin - Talbot
Cooke - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Adams - Godard

They better not friggin trade Godard, they need him bad. Look how much money Orr and Brashear got today

Rupp is a center so him and Adams would be swaped

im really not sure if Glencross is a top 6 forward. He has only scored 20 goals twice, one in college the other in junior A. Trading Dupuis would free up more room for us to bring in a true top 6.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Marian Gaborik signs with the New York Rangers. Definately cant settle with Curtis Glencross as a top 6 forward now

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Rupp is a center so him and Adams would be swaped

im really not sure if Glencross is a top 6 forward. He has only scored 20 goals twice, one in college the other in junior A. Trading Dupuis would free up more room for us to bring in a true top 6.

They wouldn't trade for Glencross to put him in the bottom 6. Many players dont develop their game untill their late 20s where Glencross is at

Trading Dupuis is easier said than done. He basically has a 'negative value' because of his salary.....meaning you have to add something

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 07:36 PM
They wouldn't trade for Glencross to put him in the bottom 6. Many players dont develop their game untill their late 20s where Glencross is at

Trading Dupuis is easier said than done. He basically has a 'negative value' because of his salary.....meaning you have to add something

And you dont trade a top 6 guy for a fourth liner with a higher salary, even with a pick/prospect attached. Historically most players top out stat wise around his age. Three of the best players of all-time had there career seasons before there were 25 and then didnt reach those marks again.

He played pretty good in his first full season in the NHL, 40 points in 74 games, but it feels like they would be 'settling' with Glencross instead of going out there and trying to get someone bigger.

Everyone in the Atlantic, and the Canadiens are getting better and i dont want to see the Pens big move of the off season to bring in another winger who doesnt have a proven track record as top 6 guy.

I guess we will find out, looking over insidepittsburghsports.com, Mark Eaton's name was thrown out there as posbbile bait.

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
And you dont trade a top 6 guy for a fourth liner with a higher salary, even with a pick/prospect attached. Historically most players top out stat wise around his age. Three of the best players of all-time had there career seasons before there were 25 and then didnt reach those marks again..

In case you weren't paying attention, the rumor was the Pens might trade Dupuis and Godard for Glencross.

2 words, Ryan Malone (guy who took a while to develop)

He played pretty good in his first full season in the NHL, 40 points in 74 games, but it feels like they would be 'settling' with Glencross instead of going out there and trying to get someone bigger..

Yeah, i would definitely like someone better for Geno's wing. Right now we have an over-abundance of bottom 6 guys

Everyone in the Atlantic, and the Canadiens are getting better and i dont want to see the Pens big move of the off season to bring in another winger who doesnt have a proven track record as top 6 guy.insidepittsburghsports.com, Mark Eaton's name was thrown out there as posbbile.

Montreal were the biggest losers today. They got a lot worse

Rangers just signed Gaborik

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
In case you weren't paying attention, the rumor was the Pens might trade Dupuis and Godard for Glencross.

2 words, Ryan Malone (guy who took a while to develop)

Yeah, i would definitely like someone better for Geno's wing. Right now we have an over-abundance of bottom 6 guys

Montreal were the biggest losers today. They got a lot worse

Rangers just signed Gaborik

yea, Michael Cammalleri and Brian Gionta made them worse, and despite you blind hatred for Hal Gill he is gonna be solid in there new system.

I have been paying attention, your not the only in here that follows hockey

You would trade a guy who hasnt hit his potential yet apparently for two fourth liners, one with a higher salary, especially when you just lost your top scorer and may lose some others?

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Here's another tracker - a little easier to read

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=34751&navid=DL

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Here's another tracker - a little easier to read

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=34751&navid=DL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl_signing_tracker/

ive found this one the easiest to read, but it takes them longer to update

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Blackhawks signed John Madden.

They are looking better and better. Hopefully Huet can earn that money he is making

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Blackhawks signed John Madden.

They are looking better and better.

Look out Detroit. :tt02:

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Look out Detroit. :tt02:

looking closer like a rematch of 92 instead of what it has been the last two years.

assuming they play on the same line, Hossa-Toews-Kane is a freaking deadly line. Now to get someone like John Madden to shutdown other teams top line, your right watch out detroit

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Ugh, I am NOT happy with the way this day has turned out. Not happy at all. All of our rivals have gotten better, the Habs have gotten better, the Leafs have gotten better. The Pens have...Mike Rupp. Hooray.

HometownGal
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM
And you dont trade a top 6 guy for a fourth liner with a higher salary, even with a pick/prospect attached.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::hatsoff:

HometownGal
07-01-2009, 08:59 PM

I think you could have made that statement without the snarky comment. Knock it off, please.

and despite you blind hatred for Hal Gill he is gonna be solid in there new system.

Yes, he most definitely is. It's a crying shame that a certain person around here couldn't appreciate Gill for the contributions he made in the playoffs and most certainly, in helping the team to win the Cup. He and Scuds played remarkably well together and basically shut down our opponents' top lines.

Thanks Hal and best of luck to you! :hatsoff::drink:

Texasteel
07-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I couldn't, and can't understand the criticism of Gill. I understand I am just a novice at hockey, but I know a good play when I see it, and I thought Gill played very well in the playoffs.

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Gill was the worst player on our team almost every game

He is decent on PK but horrible 5 on 5

Oh well, he is gone and we are better off without him.

Notice how we didnt even try to re-sign him?

Now if we lose Scuderi, we could be in trouble

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Yes, he most definitely is. It's a crying shame that a certain person around here couldn't appreciate Gill for the contributions he made in the playoffs and most certainly, in helping the team to win the Cup. He and Scuds played remarkably well together and basically shut down our opponents' top lines.

Thanks Hal and best of luck to you! :hatsoff::drink:

Now im gonna say this, Hal Gill wasnt my favorite player on this team and im pretty sure ive made that clear on here but i never once was in deniel in his contributions to this team. Will Gill be missed, he probably will be, but i believe management has added depth on the defensive side deep in our system.

On that Gill note, we signed Brian Strait to a entry level contract. While i would be cautious about having to young players like Strait/Goligoski playing together but this could be the reason why it doesnt seem like we are going that hard after Scuds or any other D-man out there.

Lovejoy/Grant/Strait all could be possible replacements at the end of our D pairings and would be cheap enough to where we could sign a bigger named winger (Alex Tanguay?)

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 09:33 PM
You would trade a guy who hasnt hit his potential yet apparently for two fourth liners, one with a higher salary, especially when you just lost your top scorer and may lose some others?

? who cares if Calgary makes the wrong decision?

Obviously they really must want Godard (he played there before)

It might boil down to making this deal and keeping Scuderi or signing a higher priced FA winger and weaker FA d-man

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 09:36 PM
? who cares if Calgary makes the wrong decision?

Obviously they really must want Godard (he played there before)

It might boil down to making this deal and keeping Scuderi or signing a higher priced FA winger and weaker FA d-man

Calgary cares if they make the wrong decision.

Hell if all else fails we can bring Tank back, im almost 100% sure he would love to come back, even at a pay cut.

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Marty Havlat unofficially has argeed to a deal with Minnesota. Saku Koivu is supose to next.

take it for what is worth but Eklund says Francois Beachmin is close to signing with the Pens. saw another article from TheFourthPeriod.com about a week before the draft that said the same thing so maybe there is something to it

Steel Head
07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
take it for what is worth but Eklund says Francois Beachmin is close to signing with the Pens. saw another article from TheFourthPeriod.com about a week before the draft that said the same thing so maybe there is something to it

Apparently Beauchemin is good friends with Fleury I read

I would like this signing even though it means we dont keep Scuderi. I would like to see the price though, it would have to be discounted

pittsburghp8baller
07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Apparently Beauchemin is good friends with Fleury I read

I would like this signing even though it means we dont keep Scuderi. I would like to see the price though, it would have to be discounted

i would be very interested in seeing the price on tag on Beauchemin. I had no idea Beauchemin was good friends with Fleury.

Woulnd mind this signing, at the right price though. he made 1.6 million last year, cant imagine he would want a huge raise especially coming off a knee injury last year. Maybe 1.5 at the max and that leaves around 3 to get a winger and 500k for Curry

X-Terminator
07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I would love Beauchemin in a Pens uniform, but if Eklund is reporting it, it's probably not going to happen. That guy is wrong almost all the time now. He's living off being the first to break the news that the lockout ended, but his 15 minutes of fame ended 3 years ago. I'd be more inclined to believe TheFourthPeriod.com way before Eklund.

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Ugh, I am NOT happy with the way this day has turned out. Not happy at all. All of our rivals have gotten better, the Habs have gotten better, the Leafs have gotten better. The Pens have...Mike Rupp. Hooray.

Pttfffthp

Come in off the window ledge.

We are not going to be paying high priced free agents as long as we have Crosby and Malkin so I didn't expect the Pens to start wheeling and dealing on the first day, we don't have the room - Shero will find a way , tweaking here and there.

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Pttfffthp

Come in off the window ledge.

We are not going to be paying high priced free agents as long as we have Crosby and Malkin so I didn't expect the Pens to start wheeling and dealing on the first day, we don't have the room - Shero will find a way , tweaking here and there.

I know that, but for crying out loud, the Flyers were able to trade for a guy like Pronger and the Rangers dealt Scott Gomez in order to make room for Gaborik. You're telling me the Pens couldn't have done something similar, like maybe with Staal? Last time I checked, they STILL do not have a 2nd-line winger. Where do they think he's going to come from, out of thin air? They also need a 3rd pairing defenseman since more than likely they will lose Scuderi and Beauchemin is a pipe dream. I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect of Goligoski and Lovejoy as their potential 3rd pairing. And while I do like Mike Rupp - he will bring a nasty, physical edge to the team and is a good player for a 4th liner - it would be very tough to swallow if that ends up in Eric Godard being traded. Rupp can tackle HWs, but he is not the deterrent nor the fighter that Godard is.

Maybe I'm panicking too early, who knows? But right now, I see other teams getting better while the Pens are standing pat.

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Gill was the worst player on our team almost every game

He is decent on PK but horrible 5 on 5

Oh well, he is gone and we are better off without him.

Notice how we didnt even try to re-sign him?

Now if we lose Scuderi, we could be in trouble

They're better off without him? They just won the Cup WITH him, and playing a major role no less.

You need to give up the Gill hatred and give the man credit for a job well done in the playoffs.

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Rags still have a slow defense and Philly has no goalie, I ain't ascared.

Gaborick is getting five years at 7.75 per.??
Pronger is gonna eat him up.

SteelMember
07-02-2009, 07:18 AM

Agree.

Just like last year when they waited for the dust to settle and signed Tank and Satan, who were signed to $2.5 and 3.5 respectively. Although, I don't know if they have that much to spend this year without dumping salary somewhere else. Dupuis being the biggest target, but I don't think there are too many buyers on his contract...thanks to the thrashers, NOT the pens.

Also, looking at the hoser deal...didn't the Pens offer something like a 5yr-52mil deal last year?
I guess I still don't get the guys reasoning.

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Blackhawks get Hossa and Madden - that's quite a haul. Too bad Detroit.

Shero doesn't fear change for Pens

Six players under contract to the Penguins before noon yesterday remained on the market, and only Scuderi, Fedotenko and winger Petr Sykora, 32, were on Shero's radar.

All are seeking multi-year deals, though Sykora, who scored 52 goals over the past two seasons, may consider returning on a one-year deal with a no-movement clause.

Scuderi and Fedotenko, both 30, are seeking term beyond two years, and Shero would need to move players to create cap space for next season and future campaigns.

Regarding that likelihood, Shero said last night that "nothing's really going on."

He also shrugged off suggestions that $1,585,000 annually was too costly for the services of Rupp and winger Eric Godard, who has two years remaining on a contract that counts $750,000 against the cap.

Unrestricted FA update

Beat reporter Rob Rossi gives the lowdown on activity between the Penguins and their players that became unrestricted free agents Wednesday:

LW Ruslan Fedotenko: Term continues to be sticking point in talks with Penguins.

D Rob Scuderi: Was mulling offers last night; planned to talk with Penguins one final time.

RW Petr Sykora: Return remains under consideration.

D Hal Gill: Signed with Montreal (two years, $4.5 million).

G Mathieu Garon: Signed with Columbus (two years, $2.4 million).

C Mike Zigomanis: No plans to bring him back.

RW Miroslav Satan: No plans to bring him back.

D Philippe Boucher: No plans to bring him back.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_631972.html

Steel Head
07-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I know that, but for crying out loud, the Flyers were able to trade for a guy like Pronger and the Rangers dealt Scott Gomez in order to make room for Gaborik. You're telling me the Pens couldn't have done something similar, like maybe with Staal? .

Why in the hell would they trade Staal??? That would be the dumbest thing they could do. You are losing it man

Steel Head
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
They're better off without him? They just won the Cup WITH him, and playing a major role no less.

You need to give up the Gill hatred and give the man credit for a job well done in the playoffs.

Obviously Shero realized he sucked as they didnt even think about re-signing him

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Trade Staal? Ridiculous. He ain't going anywhere. Pens just extended his contract this year through the 2012–13 season.

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Kovy anyone?

Habs get Gionta, Gomez and Camalleri. smurf smurf smurf

They reeled in Spacek and Gill too.

It's like a whole new team. (mostly smurfs)

Gionta - five-year, $25 million
Camalleri-five-year, $30-million
Gomez - $7.35 million for the next 5 years? ha ha!

Gainey also said that all of Wednesday's additions would likely mean unrestricted free agents Saku Koivu, Alex Kovalev and Alex Tanguay all would not return.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Obviously Shero realized he sucked as they didnt even think about re-signing him

yea, everyone that become free agents sucks, and insidepittsburghsports.com had a small little bit on how we did meet with Gill's reps about a new contract. Same place that i first heard about the possible Glencross deal.

He didnt fit into our long term plans, so why resign him?

We had a choice between to go after Scuds or Gill, and Scuderi is obviously the better defenseman. That doesnt mean Gill sucks, just that we would rather go after Scuderi.

on the insidepittsburghsports.com side, i saw that we were trying to get David Moss from Calgary and Calgary only would go for Glencross, which is why nothing happened. It also said Scuds was suppose to make a decision today

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Kovy anyone?

Habs get Gionta, Gomez and Camalleri. smurf smurf smurf

They reeled in Spacek and Gill too.

It's like a whole new team. (mostly smurfs)

Gionta - five-year, $25 million
Camalleri-five-year, $30-million
Gomez - $7.35 million for the next 5 years? ha ha!

Gainey also said that all of Wednesday's additions would likely mean unrestricted free agents Saku Koivu, Alex Kovalev and Alex Tanguay all would not return.

Cammalleri and Gionta have proved that even though they are small they can still play. the Gomez contract is a joke, as has never really been more than a second line center, but maybe playing with Cammalleri and Gionta can change that.

Saku Koivu has expressed some interest in playing with his brother in MIN, its gonna be weird seeing him in another jersey

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Hockey Canada unveils men's camp invites
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=12421.html?cid=rsstsn

The list of invitees for Canada's 2010 Olympic men's hockey team orientation camp features a mix of Olympic veterans and young up-and-comers.

On Thursday, Hockey Canada released a roster of 46 players who have been invited to the camp, including five goaltenders, 16 defencemen and 25 forwards. The camp will run from August 24-27 at the Pengrowth Saddledome in Calgary.

The list of players includes 40 players with senior international experience, either at the Olympics, IIHF World Championship or World Cup of Hockey/Canada Cup, while 36 of the 46 players played for either the National Junior Team or National Men's Under-18 Team.

The list of five goalies includes three-time Olympian Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils), and 2006 Olympian Roberto Luongo (Vancouver Canucks). Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-André Fleury has been invited, as have Steve Mason (Columbus Blue Jackets) and Cam Ward (Carolina Hurricanes). Two-time Stanley Cup champion Chris Osgood was not invited, although many had debated his chances during the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Just five of the 16 defencemen invited have Olympic experience: Jay Bouwmeester (Calgary Flames), Dan Boyle (San Jose Sharks), Scott Niedermayer (Anaheim Ducks), Chris Pronger (Philadelphia Flyers), and Robyn Regehr (Calgary Flames). Dion Phaneuf of the Flames gets his shot after being left off the 2006 roster for his youth. Rounding out the mix on defence are: Marc Staal (New York Rangers), Shea Weber (Nashville Predators), François Beauchemin (Anaheim Ducks), Brent Burns (Minnesota Wild), Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings), Stéphane Robidas (Dallas Stars), Mike Green (Washington Capitals), Dan Hamhuis (Nashville Predators), and Chicago Blackhawks duo Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.

Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby highlights the list of forwards. The group of 25 has 10 from the 2006 Olympic team roster, including Shane Doan (Phoenix Coyotes), Simon Gagné (Philadelphia Flyers), Dany Heatley (Ottawa Senators), Jarome Iginla (Calgary Flames), Rick Nash (Columbusn Blue Jackets), Joe Sakic (Colorado Avalanche), Martin St-Louis (Tampa Bay Lightning), Eric Staal (Carolina Hurricanes), Joe Thornton (San Jose Sharks), Vincent Lecavalier (Tampa Bay Lightning). Youngsters getting a chance are: Jeff Carter (Philadelphia Flyers), Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim Ducks), Milan Lucic (Boston Bruins), Patrick Marleau (San Jose Sharks), Andy McDonald (St. Louis Blues), Brenden Morrow (Dallas Stars), Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks) Michael Richards (Philadelphia Flyers), Derek Roy (Buffalo Sabres), Patrick Sharp (Chicago Blackhawks), Ryan Smyth (Colorado Avalanche), Jordan Staal (Thunder Bay, Ont./Pittsburgh, NHL) Jonathan Toews (Winnipeg, Man./Chicago, NHL) and Dan Cleary, who has impressed with the Detroit Red Wings. One youngster not included on the list is Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos, who drew attention during his performance at the 2009 world championship.

Although three-time Olympian Sakic has been injured and missed much of the 2008-09 season, executive director Yzerman said he is a big part of this list

not to sound like a homer, but im surprised that Drew Doughty would get an invite in front of Kris Letang

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
all the latest on Twitter

http://twitter.com/darrendreger

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Hockey Canada unveils men's camp invites
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=12421.html?cid=rsstsn

not to sound like a homer, but im surprised that Drew Doughty would get an invite in front of Kris Letang

im guessing this would of been better off in the pens tidbits section, my bad

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
insidepittsburghsports.com says Scuderi agrees to a deal with the LA Kings worth up to 14 million.

Steel Head
07-02-2009, 03:06 PM
good for Scuderi, he deserves to get paid

We better go sign Beachemen. He said he wants to play for the Pens and he is one tough customer.

How about Larose (Carolina) for Geno's wing? That could be a good fit

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Why in the hell would they trade Staal??? That would be the dumbest thing they could do. You are losing it man

I want a legitimate sniper with Sid or Geno. So sue me. Besides, if the salary cap keeps coming down, starting next year, they may have to seriously consider doing it anyway.

Actually they did, but why let more ridiculous Gill bashing to get in the way of the facts?

Trade Staal? Ridiculous. He ain't going anywhere. Pens just extended his contract this year through the 2012–13 season.

Again, salary cap. If that cap drops below $50 million in the next 2 seasons (they're already predicting a $4 million decrease next season), don't be surprised if they consider it or pull the trigger on it. Remember, he was rumored to be trade bait this winter before signing his extension, so don't think it can't happen.

insidepittsburghsports.com says Scuderi agrees to a deal with the LA Kings worth up to 14 million.

Good for Scuds - he was awesome here last year and you can't blame him for wanting to cash in. But the Kings grossly overpaid for him. IMO he isn't worth more than Mark Eaton is getting, which is $2 million per season.

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
good for Scuderi, he deserves to get paid

We better go sign Beachemen. He said he wants to play for the Pens and he is one tough customer.

How about Larose (Carolina) for Geno's wing? That could be a good fit

Beauchemin is getting similar offers to Scuderi. He ain't coming here unless he significantly drops his price.

I wouldn't mind Chad LaRose for the 2nd line if they can't re-sign Tank.

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Crapola!

Scuderi goes to the Kings for +$3M per?

He shut Ovechkin down pretty much single-handedly.

I'll miss him, more than GILL, for sure.

Pittsburghfan
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Crapola!

I wouldn't say he shut down Ovechkin. Ovechkin had 8 goals in that series. He did a good job though.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't say he shut down Ovechkin. Ovechkin had 8 goals in that series. He did a good job though.

OV probably could have had more. He shut him down as much as you can shut down OV over a 7 games sereis.

Scuds at 3.4 is really high, but im happy for him. Now Shero, get aggressive.

HometownGal
07-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Crapola!

While I realize you are the other Gill hater in this forum, I'm going to take the high road here and say that I'm going to miss BOTH of them. They played very well together and as I've said in about a gazillion posts - the proof is in the playoff run and Lord Stanley's Cup sitting in the Burgh.

Actually they did, but why let more ridiculous Gill bashing to get in the way of the facts?

You know damned well that simply isn't true. The Pens didn't offer him a contract because he is 34 years old and he wanted a 2 year deal. I'm shocked at your comment as many times you've told me how well you felt Gill played during the playoffs. :doh:

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
You know damned well that simply isn't true. The Pens didn't offer him a contract because he is 34 years old and he wanted a 2 year deal. I'm shocked at your comment as many times you've told me how well you felt Gill played during the playoffs. :doh:

That was a response to Steel Head's claim that the Pens didn't try to re-sign Gill when in fact they did talk to him about coming back. I certainly wasn't bashing him - I appreciate his contributions and acknowledged how well he played in the playoffs.

HometownGal
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
That was a response to Steel Head's claim that the Pens didn't try to re-sign Gill when in fact they did talk to him about coming back. I certainly wasn't bashing him - I appreciate his contributions and acknowledged how well he played in the playoffs.

OK - my apologies. I take issue with those who bash ANY player who gives 150% each and every game. Gill isn't fleet of foot, but he did what the Pens hired him to do - ride forwards off the puck and use that big bod to his best advantage and he did both very well. I'm going to miss him and hope he does well in Montreal. :drink:

Preacher
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
OK - my apologies. I take issue with those who bash ANY player who gives 150% each and every game. Gill isn't fleet of foot, but he did what the Pens hired him to do - ride forwards off the puck and use that big bod to his best advantage and he did both very well. I'm going to miss him and hope he does well in Montreal. :drink:

he went to Montreal?

I hope he has the worst season ever... well not him, but the ENTIRE TEAM!!!

(I HATE Montreal :chuckle:)

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I'll miss his 7ft wide pylon shadow.

4 year $13.6M? - no

Steel Head
07-02-2009, 05:48 PM
While I realize you are the other Gill hater in this forum, I'm going to take the high road here and say that I'm going to miss BOTH of them. They played very well together and as I've said in about a gazillion posts - the proof is in the playoff run and Lord Stanley's Cup sitting in the Burgh.

Almost all Pens fans will miss Scuderi tons more than Gill not just because he is way better but he came up through our system. He used to not be very good in Wilkes Barre. He worked hard into becoming a solid NHL player. I'm happy for him

Steel Head
07-02-2009, 05:50 PM
he went to Montreal?

Dont worry Montreal will suck next year. You simply cannot turn over that many players and think you will be good, there is something called chemistry that they will be missing. They let their captain walk (Koivu) and still haven't officially signed Kovalev.

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
It is interesting to note, should the Penguins lose Fedotenko, the guy who scored the Stanley Cup-clinching goal for Tampa Bay in 2004, they have "replaced" him with Rupp who scored the Cup-clinching goal for New Jersey in 2003:

Steel Head
07-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I just thought of a crazy trade we could pull off.

Staal + something to LA for Jack Johnson and either Frolov or Dustin Brown

it makes sense when you think about it even though I am a big Staal fan and would hate to see him go.

Jack Johnson wants out of LA badly and now that they signed Scuderi they can afford to let him go. Oh btw, he is close friends with Crosby.

Then you have Frolov or Brown who are both soild and would be sick playing with Malkin

Then we could sign Zigomanus for our 3rd line center

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM

No problem. I bashed the hell out of Gill myself when he first came here, as you well know, but over time, he proved himself to be valuable. He was good in the playoffs last year as well as this year, and really, you can't ask for much more than that. He was an integral part of their title and he deserves credit for a job well done.

he went to Montreal?

We all hate Montreal!

I'll miss his 7ft wide pylon shadow.

4 year $13.6M? - no

2 years, $4.5 million. Almost the same salary he had here.

It is interesting to note, should the Penguins lose Fedotenko, the guy who scored the Stanley Cup-clinching goal for Tampa Bay in 2004, they have "replaced" him with Rupp who scored the Cup-clinching goal for New Jersey in 2003:

He did that as a rookie, no less!

it makes sense when you think about it even though I am a big Staal fan and would hate to see him go.

Jack Johnson wants out of LA badly and now that they signed Scuderi they can afford to let him go. Oh btw, he is close friends with Crosby.

Then you have Frolov or Brown who are both soild and would be sick playing with Malkin

Actually, this was talked about as a possible trade up until Staal signed his extension. I'd take that deal in a heartbeat, especially if it included Brown and Johnson.

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Update 2 JUL

Jul 2, 6:27PM LaRose, Chad Carolina Carolina $3.4 M 2 $1.7 M
Jul 2, 5:18PM Leopold, Jordan Calgary Florida $1.75 1 $1.75
Jul 2, 3:26PM Scuderi, Rob Pittsburgh Los Angeles $13.6M 4 $3.4M
Jul 2, 1:46PM Grabovski, Mikhail Toronto Toronto $8.7M 3 $2.9M
Jul 2, 12:45PM Skrastins, Karlis Florida Dallas $2.75M 2 $1.375M
Jul 2, 10:48AM Aucoin, Adrian Calgary Phoenix $2.25M 1 $2.25M
Jul 2, 10:37AM Antropov, Nik NY Rangers Atlanta $16M 4 $4M
Jul 2, 10:33AM Recchi, Mark Boston Boston $1M 1 $1M
Jul 2, 9:48AM Thorburn, Chris Atlanta Atlanta n/a n/a n/a

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11850

Someone, somewhere, cares.

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I thought you meant Gill's contract with Montreal.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM

it would have to be for Frolov then, Brown is there captain and the center piece of there team. He is NOT going anywhere.

This same thing came up last year in the off-season for the same players, except it was Malkin not Staal. Everyone was concerned that we wouldnt be able to afford Malkin and we should trade him and get something out of him.

I would LOVE to have Dustin Brown though, he is one of my favorite players in the NHL. He could very well be team USA's captain in the 2014 Winter Olympics

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I thought you meant Gill's contract with Montreal.

I was wrong - I miss them both

(until we find something better):tt02:

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I was wrong - I miss them both

(until we find something better):tt02:

aint that how it always works

"we will never be as good as we were when we had Player A"

"Player B, what a great signing, where would we be without him"

"WHAT?! We didnt resign Player B!!'

Repeat over and over

Fire Haley
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Keep the core and replenish the edges - that is the way of the Pens.

Yea verily.

Pittsburghfan
07-02-2009, 07:45 PM

I think in order to get JJ and Frolov it would have to be something like

LA gets: Staal, Goligoski, maybe a pick
PIT gets JJ, Frolov
Just guessing I have no idea.

Also, what about Dennis Seidenberg, he would be awesome to sign.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I think in order to get JJ and Frolov it would have to be something like

LA gets: Staal, Goligoski, maybe a pick
PIT gets JJ, Frolov
Just guessing I have no idea.

Also, what about Dennis Seidenberg, he would be awesome to sign.

was thinking the same thing earlier today.

wouldnt mind bringing him in

Pittsburghfan
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
tiops said that pittsburgh has been more active in trade talks than in signing players. Then it goes on to say that Pittsburgh could be an attractive place for Jay McKee. His value is below $2 mil per so.

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
2 words - Francis Bouillon. He may be only 5'8", but plays like he's 6'4". Good skater, gritty, tough and a great shot blocker. Dropped the gloves with Colton Orr 2 years ago, proving that he's a bit nuts as well. He'd also come cheap. Perfect 3rd pairing defenseman.

pittsburghp8baller
07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
2 words - Francis Bouillon. He may be only 5'8", but plays like he's 6'4". Good skater, gritty, tough and a great shot blocker. Dropped the gloves with Colton Orr 2 years ago, proving that he's a bit nuts as well. He'd also come cheap. Perfect 3rd pairing defenseman.

SOLD! Ill take a crazy guy any day. id imagine it didnt go well for him against Orr

SteelCityMan786
07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
KPRWIXTdQLs

He'd be a good guy to use against Ovechkin.

JsIm1hjGNPA

Him vs. Ruutu.

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
SOLD! Ill take a crazy guy any day. id imagine it didnt go well for him against Orr

Well, see for yourself:

XTl72ZgsexM

SteelCityMan786
07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
As for some new Rumors from TIOPS

Francois Beauchemen-There is interest from the Penguins, but it is projected that the Pens could only sign him if he agrees to 2.5 million or less.

Ruslan Fedotenko-Could sign tomorrow with 4 offers on the table. One of them is the Penguins

Nick Boynton-Believed that he could get no more then $2 Million. Pens are interested in a 1 year deal

Alexei Kovalev-Expected to sign tomorrow. Did have some talks about a return to Pittsburgh

Jay McKee-Market value below $2 Million and could be a potential Penguin signing

Saku Koivu-Signs with the Minnesota Wild

Ales Kotalik-Interested in coming to Pittsburgh

OneForTheToe
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I was one of those who thought last year we should trade Staal to get a top line winger for Sid and Geno. Now., I think we should keep Jordan until he enters the last year of his contract. Some of the things he does for this team might be harder to replace in the short term than even Geno or Sid. In addition, I suspect the Pens, and more importantly Sid, now believe they can win without necessarily having a top scoring winger playing on Sid's line. Having three top centers creates its own problems for our opponents.Tthey may be able to match one of our lines, but they can't match-up to all three. And over a seven games series that makes us hard to beat. Plus , having three top centers makes it easy for Bylsma to keep shuffling the lines until he finds the right combination.

With Kunitz doing a lot of the dirty work, they can find a forward with a scoring touch that will have a great season playing next to Sid without breaking the bank., Besides, if Bill Guerin comes back we have another season where we should be fine.

X-Terminator
07-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I was one of those who thought last year we should trade Staal to get a top line winger for Sid and Geno. Now., I think we should keep Jordan until he enters the last year of his contract. Some of the things he does for this team might be harder to replace in the short term than even Geno or Sid. In addition, I suspect the Pens, and more importantly Sid, now believe they can win without necessarily having a top scoring winger playing on Sid's line. Having three top centers creates its own problems for our opponents.Tthey may be able to match one of our lines, but they can't match-up to all three. And over a seven games series that makes us hard to beat. Plus , having three top centers makes it easy for Bylsma to keep shuffling the lines until he finds the right combination.

With Kunitz doing a lot of the dirty work, they can find a forward with a scoring touch that will have a great season playing next to Sid without breaking the bank., Besides, if Bill Guerin comes back we have another season where we should be fine.

That of course was Ray Shero's thinking when he drafted Staal, that being strong up the middle not only makes it incredibly tough on their opponents, but that they don't need to break the bank to bring in wingers to play with them. Now, that doesn't mean bring in crap to play with them, just solid guys who can contribute or maybe even have career years playing with them. Winning the Cup this year is the culmination of Shero's master plan. However, I still would like to see a legitimate goal scorer playing on Sid's line, and that is why I would have supported them trading Staal for one. Imagine a Gaborik, Heatley or even Frolov playing with Sid, and all of the goals they'd put up. It'd be sick. However, it would result in them being weaker down the middle, because there aren't many 3rd line centers who are anywhere near as good as Staal. He might even be unique in that regard.

BTW, Guerin is coming back - he signed a 1 year, $2 million deal with incentives on Monday. So the top line will be intact. It's Geno's line that needs a decent winger.

OneForTheToe
07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
BTW, Guerin is coming back - he signed a 1 year, $2 million deal with incentives on Monday. So the top line will be intact. It's Geno's line that needs a decent winger.

Thanks. I'm ok with Max on Geno's line but we definitely need another forward.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Well, see for yourself:

XTl72ZgsexM

i watched that game, i completely forgot about that. i remember the incident and all but forgot him fighting with Orr.

He fights Heavys and he dropped OV? I want him in a Pens jersey NOW!!! Of the rumors listed above, Kotalik and Mckee would be good adds, Beachumin and Boynton i wouldnt mind either.

HometownGal
07-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Personally, I'd love to have Ruutu back. He is the instigator extraordinaire and doesn't hesitate to drop the gloves.

The chances of us getting Beachemen are almost slim and none as the Pens won't have the cashola to pay him.

I am :hope: ing the Pens can find a way to keep Tank.

The next few days should be very interesting.

Fire Haley
07-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Fedotenko is good as gone?

Penguins' Shero not close to deals

"We'd love to have 'Feds' back, and I talked to him for a while today and stressed that," Shero said. "He's got all our information. He knows where we're at. I'd like him to consider what we have. I'm not pushing him. I told him to sleep on it."

Shero confirmed an offer has been made, though neither he nor Fedotenko's agent Allan Walsh would divulge details.

They never do, per policy during negotiations.

However, all indications are Fedotenko, 30, will soon become the fourth free agent to leave the Penguins,
who are only $4,757,000 under the 2009-10 NHL salary cap -- set at $56,800,000.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_632158.html?source=rss&feed=8

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Pittsburgh Penguins Sign Defenseman Nate Guenin to One-Year Contract
http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=433401

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins signed Pittsburgh-born defenseman Nate Guenin to a one-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Guenin, 26, becomes the third Pittsburgh native to join the Penguins organization in the last three seasons, following Bill Thomas and Ryan Malone.

The Sewickley, Pennsylvania native appeared in one game with the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2008-09 season while spending the majority of the year with the Philadelphia Phantoms of the American Hockey League (AHL), posting 14 assists along with 95 penalty minutes in 62 games with the Phantoms this past season.

The 6-2, 210-pound defenseman played 12 career games in the NHL with the Flyers since 2006, recording two assists and six penalty minutes while collecting a plus-2 rating. The gritty blueliner made his NHL debut in Philadelphia versus the New York Islanders January 18, 2007. In three seasons with the Phantoms, Guenin registered 43 points (seven goals, 36 assists) and 333 minutes in penalties while appearing in 207 career games in the AHL. Guenin collected one assist and a plus-2 rating in 12 career post-season contests with the Phantoms in 2007-08.

Prior to joining the Flyers organization, Guenin played four years with Ohio State University from 2002-2006. Guenin recorded 53 points (six goals, 47 assists) in 151 games and was a two-time recipient of Ohio State’s Ice Club Scholar Athlete Award given to the top student athlete on the team.

Guenin was selected by the New York Rangers in the fourth round (127th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Fire Haley
07-03-2009, 11:03 AM
We're shopping in the bargain basement bin.

I'm still laughing at Hossa dumping the Wings and going to Chicago.

Latest FA "Who's available" list.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=34760&navid=DL|NHL|Home

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Tank is back! (http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=433422)

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with forward Ruslan Fedotenko to a one-year contract through the 2009-2010 season, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

Fedotenko, 30, scored 39 points (16 goals, 23 assists) and ranked second on the team with a plus-18 rating in 65 games with the Penguins this season. It marked the seventh time that he recorded 30-plus points in a single season. He appeared in 24 games for Pittsburgh during the post-season, recording seven goals and 14 points.

The 6-2, 195-pound winger has played parts of eight seasons with Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Philadelphia from 2000- 2009. Fedotenko won his first Stanley Cup in 2004 with the Tampa Bay Lightning, scoring both goals in a 2-0 victory over the Calgary Flames in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. The two-time Stanley Cup Champion has collected 278 points (139 goals, 139 assists) along with 369 penalty minutes in 597 career games in the NHL. He has tallied 31 points (20 goals, 11 assists) in 77 post-season contests.

The native of Kiev, Ukraine became the first Ukrainian-born player to win the Stanley Cup in 2004. He appeared in one game for the Ukraine at the 2006 Olympics, scoring one goal against Switzerland.

Fedotenko was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Philadelphia in 1999 and made his NHL debut Oct. 24, 2000 with the Flyers. He was signed by Pittsburgh as a free agent on July 3, 2008.

Deal is for $1.8 million, according to the Trib. Great signing, great price tag. The man lived up to his reputation as being a money player in the playoffs. Our top 3 lines are now set - all we need now is a 6th defenseman. I really can't believe he took a pay cut to stay here - all of the sites were saying that he was looking for a longer-term deal.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2009, 01:08 PM
beat me to it, awesome glad to have Tank back in the lineup

Steel Head
07-03-2009, 02:24 PM
1.8 million? wow, thats a great deal

didn't we pay him 3 million last year? i cant remember

glad to have him back

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
1.8 million? wow, thats a great deal

didn't we pay him 3 million last year? i cant remember

glad to have him back

He made $2.25 million last season, which was still a bargain. The only reason I think he took the 1 year deal (which probably included a NTC) and pay cut is because he believes in the Pens' chances at winning another Cup, and the other teams didn't have the same chance. What else could it be? The Minnesota offer was rumored to be nearly double that amount over 3 seasons, and LA also offered more money over 2 years. He certainly could have taken the money and ran, and no one would have blamed him.

Also, the Pens are rumored to be after Jay McKee and Nick Boynton. McKee is injury prone, so thumbs down on him. Boynton is interesting - he'd certainly bring some toughness to the blue line, but defensively he isn't the best. Plus, he's a bit of a loose cannon. It would be something to see what would happen if he did come here - he didn't have very kind words for Crosby after he jumped Brett McLean of the Panthers back in January.

Fire Haley
07-03-2009, 03:33 PM
He gave us that much of a Stanley Cup discount? ...excellent news!!!

OK. We've got 13 forwards now. That's enough. unless Shero can add another 2nd liner for cheap.

We only have 5 D right now though. We need 2 more + a backup goalie.

After that, call it an off-season.

HometownGal
07-03-2009, 04:58 PM
He gave us that much of a Stanley Cup discount? ...excellent news!!!

OK. We've got 13 forwards now. That's enough. unless Shero can add another 2nd liner for cheap.

We only have 5 D right now though. We need 2 more + a backup goalie.

After that, call it an off-season.

:hatsoff: to Tank for taking a hometown discount to stay with the Pens! :applaudit: I've loved this guy since he donned a Pens uni!

I see that Curry is still out there as a FA. I believe this kid is ready to step up to the big leagues and be a viable backup to Fleury. Hurry up and sign him Shero before someone else grabs him up. :hope:

X-Terminator
07-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Apparently, Tank said he really didn't have any great offers out there (despite the rumors), so he decided to take the Pens' offer. Doesn't matter what his reasoning is, I'm glad to have him back :thumbsup:

Also, the Blue Jackets just re-signed their franchise player, Rick Nash, to an 8-year, $62.4 million deal, an average of $7.8 million per season.

pittsburghp8baller
07-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Apparently, Tank said he really didn't have any great offers out there (despite the rumors), so he decided to take the Pens' offer. Doesn't matter what his reasoning is, I'm glad to have him back :thumbsup:

Also, the Blue Jackets just re-signed their franchise player, Rick Nash, to an 8-year, $62.4 million deal, an average of $7.8 million per season.

Thats great for Rick Nash, he is one of my favorite players in the NHL. Columbus is definately a team on the rise and i wouldnt be surprised if they find themselves in the second round of the playoffs next year.

KeiselPower99
07-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Did anyone mention the Kings trading for Avalanche winger Ryan Smyth?

X-Terminator
07-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Did anyone mention the Kings trading for Avalanche winger Ryan Smyth?

No, but I did know about the trade. The Kings sent Kyle Quincey, Tom Preissing and a 5th round pick to the Avs for Smyth. At $6.5 million, I think Smyth is overpaid, but there's no question of this guy's heart and grit. I'd love to see him in the black and gold. This also kills any Jack Johnson trade talk - the Kings will re-sign him now.

KeiselPower99
07-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I like Smyth also but feel he was overpaid and didnt contribute enough last year to a very depleted Avs team.

KeiselPower99
07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Pens sign Stars forward Cooper

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Chris Conner(notes) of the Dallas Stars to a one-year contract, team general manager Ray Shero announced Sunday.

The 5-8, 180-pound forward set new career highs with 13 points and 10 assists, while adding three goals and 10 penalty minutes in 38 games this past season. He also recorded 16 goals and 28 points along with 10 penalty minutes in 30 games with the Peoria Rivermen of the American Hockey League.

Conner was an undrafted free agent prior to signing with the Dallas Stars in 2005.

pittsburghp8baller
07-06-2009, 05:22 PM
with Connor i dont see how we dont repeat, move out of the way Kunitz, Connor is coming for your spot!!! :flap:

Quite the boring offseason for the Pens, but i guess thats what happens when you win the cup, you just got to hang on to the majority or your players and you will be fine. Use to it with the Steelers, not the Penguins.

If i hadnt already traded in NHL 09 id say that it would be a waste to spend money to get NHL 10 since the roster will be just about the same but i know when September comes around i wont be able to resist

X-Terminator
07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
with Connor i dont see how we dont repeat, move out of the way Kunitz, Connor is coming for your spot!!! :flap:

Quite the boring offseason for the Pens, but i guess thats what happens when you win the cup, you just got to hang on to the majority or your players and you will be fine. Use to it with the Steelers, not the Penguins.

If i hadnt already traded in NHL 09 id say that it would be a waste to spend money to get NHL 10 since the roster will be just about the same but i know when September comes around i wont be able to resist

Things are going pretty much the way I expected. There's nothing that can be said for continuity and chemistry, and the team bringing back almost everyone from the playoffs can only be a good thing. I'd much rather be in this position than the other teams who are scrambling to buy up FAs or making blockbuster trades, hoping they will end up being where the Pens are right now.

Also, Francois Beauchemin has signed with the Leafs - 3 years, $10 million. Damn, that blueline up there is going to be tough as nails with him, Komisarek, Exelby and Luke Schenn. Too bad the rest of the team sucks.

KeiselPower99
07-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Alex Tanguay to the Coyotes according to the Denver Post.

X-Terminator
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Alex Kovalev to the Sens. 2 years, $10 million.

SteelMember
07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Ducks sign Saku Koivu to one-year contract

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=436537

X-Terminator
07-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Pens apparently have signed D Jay McKee to a 1-year deal for $800,000:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/McKee-Signing-1-yr-Deal-In-Pitt/5/22059

Absolutely FANTASTIC deal for the Pens. Provided that McKee stays healthy, he will give the Pens a much-needed and legit physical presence on the blue line for the 6th pairing. And even if he doesn't stay healthy, it's only 800K - not exactly "Glass Groin Gabby"-type money. I guess since the Blues bought him out for over $2 million, he could afford to take less to play for a winner.

stlrtruck
07-10-2009, 07:36 AM

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/McKee-Signing-1-yr-Deal-In-Pitt/5/22059

Absolutely FANTASTIC deal for the Pens. Provided that McKee stays healthy, he will give the Pens a much-needed and legit physical presence on the blue line for the 6th pairing. And even if he doesn't stay healthy, it's only 800K - not exactly "Glass Groin Gabby"-type money. I guess since the Blues bought him out for over $2 million, he could afford to take less to play for a winner.

Sometimes the desire for your name on the Stanley Cup outweighs the desire for extra dollars. Maybe this is the case for McKee.

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 07:39 AM

nice! that's a good deal!

If they can get 60 games out of McKee and let Lovejoy/Strait/whoever play the other 20 that should work well.

KeiselPower99
07-10-2009, 07:58 AM

I read that he was bought out by the Blues and is still being paid by them so money really wasnt a factor for him.

Steel Head
07-10-2009, 08:16 AM
I read that he was bought out by the Blues and is still being paid by them so money really wasnt a factor for him.

yep, so McKee decided to take a cheap 1 year deal and try to win the Cup!

I am really pleased with this signing

McKee is a similar type player as Scuderi except a little more physical whereas Scuderi is a better positional player.

Excellent signing!!!!

X-Terminator
07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's a little of what McKee brings to the table:

qSurWu8b1uo

BMvxyG4RS9c

0ZkwCCsWItI

KcemA7OLeKM

X-Terminator
07-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Deal is now official: http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=436745

EDIT: The deal is in fact for 800K, per the Trib.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Now that is one tough son of a gun. Good Work Ray Shero.

From TIOPS: The Penguins are looking at signing Kevin Weekes to a 2 way deal, but he's waiting on the Devils.

Fire Haley
07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
so McKee decided to take a cheap 1 year deal and try to win the Cup!

McKee is a similar type player as Scuderi except a little more physical whereas Scuderi is a better positional player.

Excellent signing!!!!

yep yep yep

He's an excellent shot blocker and good PKer - at a bargain basement price too!

Fire Haley
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Exclusive One on One: Metzer Sits Down With New Penguin Jay McKee

(long, long interview)

snips

BM: Just to elaborate on that a bit, were the Penguins a team that you did identify as a potential destination in free agency and when exactly did you guys and get the ball rolling with Ray Shero on potentially bringing you in here?

JM: They were actually a team that I identified as a team that I would like to consider going too the first time I was unrestricted. You could see what they were building there and what potential they had for the future and obviously that came true. So, I have known about that team and the way it was going to go for them for a long time. You can just see when teams go through some tough times and get some high draft picks and the way they build, if they bring the right people on board they are going to do some special things and that’s what is happening in Pittsburgh. I am excited that I am going to be part of their future.

BM: I think that what you bring to the table is especially attractive based on what they lost in Scuderi and Gill…especially in Scuderi with the style that you both play?

JM: This time around being unrestricted was completely different than last time. I was able to sit back and look more at what the teams have and I noticed that Pittsburgh did have a couple guys that were going to be UFAs and you don’t know if their going to sign the night before or the day of or what. I certainly kept a little bit of a target on that team and I was fortunate to see both of those guys move on to a new spot and I it certainly opened up a spot for me given that I have some comparables to those players. Certainly the bottom line is you have to rely on that team wanting to bring you in and liking what you have and I feel very fortunate that that’s what they felt.

BM: I think that is the case, Ray Shero has already been very complimentary of what you bring to the table. He has done a nice job of cheer leading your arrival in Pittsburgh…

--------------------

BM: We sort of talked about this already…but when you look at your game. How would you describe Jay McKee? Everyone always jumps to the shot blocking and the sound defensive play, but is there any hidden element to your game that you might be able to tell me about?

JM: Yeah, I’ve got all of this offense I’m just not showing anybody… (Laughing)

BM: Yeah, you’ve been holding off right? (Laughing back)

JM: Yeah, for years!! That’s it, I just take pride in the penalty-killing role. I certainly hope that we can get our penalty killing in the top of the league. It wasn’t last year for Pittsburgh, I am not sure where they were, but that certainly is a role I take a lot of passion and pride in. My game is really structured around smart sound defensive play and a lot of times it’s not things that you notice, but as long as I get the job done and play consistent that’s what I try to focus to do and stepping up some hits at the right time. I know when I was younger I used to run around all night long trying to chase guys and hit all over the ice and would kind of get myself caught out of position. The players have only gotten faster and quicker and better in this league and if you don’t have the right timing and pick your spots you’re going to end up having scoring chances against. That is what I try to keep to a minimum. Typically become best friends with my goaltenders…that’s probably the inner most secret I have.

----------------

BM: Final question…have you had a chance to talk with the equipment guys in Pittsburgh, what number are you going to be wearing so the folks in town can get those jerseys stitched up for the first game this year?

JM: (Laughing) I don’t have a definite yet, but 74 was good to me in the East…

BM: I think it’s available… (Laughing)

JM: I don’t think I am going to be wearing 77, unless Paul Coffey comes up to me and says excuse me Mr. McKee I would be honored if you would wear 77. I don’t think that is going to happen, so I will probably wear something else. I am leaning towards going back to 74; it treated me very good in the Eastern Conference, so there is probably a pretty good chance that I will be wearing that.

BM: I will pass that along…I am sure you will see the jerseys purchased. They don’t care if you are on a one-year deal. They will already be calling for you to sign on next season after your first game here.

JM: Take a poll, ask fans what they want me to wear…(laughing)…. I’m not tied to any number really.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brian-Metzer/Exclusive-One-on-One-Metzer-Sits-Down-With-New-Penguin-Jay-McKee/54/22105

SteelCityMan786
07-31-2009, 05:56 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/09212/987742-100.stm
Penguins sign Curry, Brookbank, Smith
Friday, July 31, 2009
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins have signed three players, including John Curry, who was a restricted free agent and appears to be their backup goaltender of the future.

They also signed veteran forwards Wade Brookbank and Wyatt Smith, who have NHL experience but whose primary role is expected to be that of providing depth on the team's Wilkes-Barre/Scranton farm club.

Curry, 25, signed a two-year, two-way contract worth $1 million. He played in his first three NHL games last season while starter Marc-Andre Fleury was hurt.

Earlier this month, the Penguins signed veteran goaltender Brent Johnson to a one-year, one-way contract. Johnson appears to have the inside track on the backup spot to start the 2009-10 season.

"We want a little bit more experience in the backup role, and John's getting that," general manager Ray Shero said "He's proven to be a pretty good prospect for us."

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/09212/987742-100.stm#ixzz0Msej4eFe