PDA

View Full Version : Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amusement

Galax Steeler
06-18-2009, 04:19 AM
* Print
* ShareThis

The family of a U.S. Marine is outraged after a Michigan amusement park insisted on charging the veteran admission to enter the park despite his being a quadriplegic -- according to a newspaper report.

Heather Lovell told the Grand Rapids Press that she had been at the park acting as a chaperone for a children's group, and her fiance, Joshua Hoffman, was just meeting up with her there briefly before she took him to his stepbrother's graduation.

But even after she explained that Hoffman had been paralyzed in 2007 by a sniper's bullet in Iraq and is unable to speak, let alone go on rides, the park insisted both Hoffman and his nurse could not join her in the park without paying, Lovell told the Press

"It was really just outrageous," she said. "He is not physically going on any rides."

Michigan's Adventure General Manager Camille Jourden-Mark said park policy requires even non-participants to pay the admission fee.

"We just can't be in a position of picking and choosing. We have grandparents (who pay admission) that come in our park every day that have no intention of ever going on a ride," she told the Grand Rapids Press.

Jourden-Mark later offered the family complimentary passes for Hoffman and a guest, the Press reported. Lovell said she has not decided whether they will use the passes.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526986,00.html

stlrtruck
06-18-2009, 07:03 AM
* Print
* ShareThis

The family of a U.S. Marine is outraged after a Michigan amusement park insisted on charging the veteran admission to enter the park despite his being a quadriplegic -- according to a newspaper report.

Heather Lovell told the Grand Rapids Press that she had been at the park acting as a chaperone for a children's group, and her fiance, Joshua Hoffman, was just meeting up with her there briefly before she took him to his stepbrother's graduation.

But even after she explained that Hoffman had been paralyzed in 2007 by a sniper's bullet in Iraq and is unable to speak, let alone go on rides, the park insisted both Hoffman and his nurse could not join her in the park without paying, Lovell told the Press

"It was really just outrageous," she said. "He is not physically going on any rides."

Michigan's Adventure General Manager Camille Jourden-Mark said park policy requires even non-participants to pay the admission fee.

"We just can't be in a position of picking and choosing. We have grandparents (who pay admission) that come in our park every day that have no intention of ever going on a ride," she told the Grand Rapids Press.

Jourden-Mark later offered the family complimentary passes for Hoffman and a guest, the Press reported. Lovell said she has not decided whether they will use the passes.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526986,00.html

There are certain individuals in this country who should receive a free pass to every freakin' thing that costs other average Americans to enter. Those individuals are the men and women who freely sacrifice of their limbs, life, and family and don the uniforms of our military. Even as much that their families should also be allowed to enter without payment as long as they can show military ID. Those people also include veterans!!!

This country is losing it's respect for those that protect it!

revefsreleets
06-18-2009, 08:40 AM
It's always been this way. If this park doesn't have a military or vet discount, they should, but this is a business. They aren't in the business of giving everything away (and, if they are, they won't be in business for long).

He should have received a discount, but not gotten in for free. Also, did they have a military ID on them? If not, how do they know that he received his wounds from war?

Just like everything else, this isn't a clear-cut black and white case.

Preacher
06-18-2009, 09:54 PM
It's always been this way. If this park doesn't have a military or vet discount, they should, but this is a business. They aren't in the business of giving everything away (and, if they are, they won't be in business for long).

He should have received a discount, but not gotten in for free. Also, did they have a military ID on them? If not, how do they know that he received his wounds from war?

Just like everything else, this isn't a clear-cut black and white case.

My thoughts exactly.

Fact is, the park has a limit of how many people can be in it. Most parks have to close the gates when that limit is reached, regardless of whether the people are or are not riding rides.

Frankly, I think this was handeled wrong. Military ID should have been produced. However, to assume that you can enter to meet someone, regardless of the reason, is a little silly.

Now, for the overall park, yeah, they should have a policy where military get in at a deeply discounted price. It is just respect for them and their families.

JEFF4i
06-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Double-negatory.

Amusement park shouldn't have any obligation to let him in, but, they should have.

*shrug*

Galax Steeler
06-19-2009, 04:10 AM
Double-negatory.

Amusement park shouldn't have any obligation to let him in, but, they should have.

*shrug*

You are right they shouldn't be obligated to let him in but he wasn't going to be able to ride any rides he was just going to be in the park with his family.

SCSTILLER
06-19-2009, 06:26 AM
OK, I am indifferent on this one. I am active duty, and anytime I go anywhere I ask if they have a military discount, if they don't no biggee, I will pay like everyone else. I didn't join the military to get 10% of perks or get into places for free, I joined because I wanted to serve. I think that, yes, the park should have made an exception to let this Marine (after he or his nurse fessed up ID) in for a discount at the least, but the family and the Marine and the nurse should not be expecting it.

stlrtruck
06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
OK, I am indifferent on this one. I am active duty, and anytime I go anywhere I ask if they have a military discount, if they don't no biggee, I will pay like everyone else. I didn't join the military to get 10% of perks or get into places for free, I joined because I wanted to serve. I think that, yes, the park should have made an exception to let this Marine (after he or his nurse fessed up ID) in for a discount at the least, but the family and the Marine and the nurse should not be expecting it.

First, thanks for your service.

Second, I don't think anyone joins the military, makes the sacrifices they do, just for the 10% perks. If they do, then they're a little off base. Anyway, I've always been in the belief that the military personnel are the one group of individuals that are the exception to almost every rule. While they shouldn't be looking for freebies and handouts, companies should be more than willing to honor those who serve.

St33lersguy
06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Discount or free admission should have been handed out as sign of respect for wounded war vet sacraficing his life to protect our country.

P.S. I am guessing I can only find this story on the fair & balanced fox news website

SCSTILLER
06-19-2009, 12:38 PM
First, thanks for your service.

Second, I don't think anyone joins the military, makes the sacrifices they do, just for the 10% perks. If they do, then they're a little off base. Anyway, I've always been in the belief that the military personnel are the one group of individuals that are the exception to almost every rule. While they shouldn't be looking for freebies and handouts, companies should be more than willing to honor those who serve.

My pleasure stlrtruck!

I do agree, there are people in our society that should have a few perks pertaining to their jobs, like the Police and the Firemen and the Military to name just some. But if the company isn't going to honor you or they upset you because they don't honor you, just don't use their business anymore and let all your buddies know. That is how I feel, word of mouth can be the best advertisement, but can also be the worst!

NJarhead
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
*Six flags does it every year, war or not: If you have military ID, you get one free admission per year (Busch Gardens too).

Of course no one is obligated...legally. I just think that a little common sense, a little patiotism and a little courtesy should have been applied here.

*Note: I may be wrong about six flags. It may only be Busch Gardens.

Personally, I would no longer give this place my business. In fact, I feel obligated not to.