PDA

View Full Version : Protesters now equal terrorists

PisnNapalm
06-18-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526972,00.html

The written exam, given as part of Department of Defense employees’ routine training, includes a multiple-choice question that asks:

“Which of the following is an example of low-level terrorism?”

— Attacking the Pentagon

— IEDs

— Hate crimes against racial groups

— Protests

The correct answer, according to the exam, is "Protests."

“Its part of a pattern of equating dissent and protest with terrorism," said Ann Brick, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union, which obtained a copy of the question after a Defense Department employee who was taking the test printed the screen on his or her computer terminal.

Yes I know it's from Fox News, but still.... Equating a protest to any kind of terrorism is.... I can't even think of how to describe it.

I attended a protest on April 15th. The Tax Day Tea Party protesters were called "right wing extremists". Now I'm a terrorist too? http://www.pisnnapalm.com/smilies_files/blink.gif

You have to agree this shift in mindset of the government towards protests is subtle and yet disturbing at the same time. They are training government employees to equate protesters with terrorists.

I can now envision a day when it will be "illegal" to speak out against the government. I've gone from being a right wing extremist to a low level terrorist. Is that a better or worse category to be labeled into? I don't know. I don't know.

MACH1
06-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Great, gotta love the assclown in charge.

Constitution, WTF is that?:shake01:

tony hipchest
06-18-2009, 04:04 PM
b..b..but obama? :rofl:

they forgot to add

-Airline passengers

-People who wear shoes

-People who drink bottled water to the list.

gotta love the "Global War on terror"!

you do know what the GW in GW Bush stands for, right?

yep, global war.... coming soon to a theater near you. but dont you feel safer? i mean bush has kept us safe and we havent been attacked since 9-11-01. :hunch:

im sure research would reveal that DoD test was written in 04-05 (it has the stench of cheney and rummy all over it).

TheWarDen86
06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
It probably is a Bush/Cheney thing, but Obama will not change it. Just as bad is the policy of the USNA Graduates no longer being allowed to include their swords in the ceremony. That's a centuries old tradition. Again, Bush/Cheney but Obama will not change it.

They way I see it, there is nothing that either side can say to the other.

Godfather
06-18-2009, 05:53 PM
They way I see it, there is nothing that either side can say to the other.

Sad but true. For the last eight years all I heard from the right was that protestors hate America, support the terrorists, should be arrested for treason, etc.

Amazing how politicians and pundits can move the goalposts without a hint of irony. Same thing is happening with Sotomayor--she's unfit to be a judge because she belongs to a women's group, according to the same people who voted for Alito (who belongs to men's groups).

Texasteel
06-18-2009, 06:39 PM
b..b..but obama? :rofl:

they forgot to add

-Airline passengers

-People who wear shoes

-People who drink bottled water to the list.

gotta love the "Global War on terror"!

you do know what the GW in GW Bush stands for, right?

yep, global war.... coming soon to a theater near you. but dont you feel safer? i mean bush has kept us safe and we havent been attacked since 9-11-01. :hunch:

im sure research would reveal that DoD test was written in 04-05 (it has the stench of cheney and rummy all over it).

GW is on vacation now, this belongs to the new administration. I can remember the guys name right now.

tony hipchest
06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
heh, heh, heh.

GWoT is bush's baby. theres no shame in owning that is there?

funny how the same righties who praised it for saving their lives and keeping them protected, now wanna distance themselves from it and deny it thrice.

like others have suggested in this thread, (and i will paraphrase) blaming a DoD exam from the middle of the decade on obama is about as lame as it gets.

Texasteel
06-18-2009, 08:45 PM
heh, heh, heh.

GWoT is bush's baby. theres no shame in owning that is there?

funny how the same righties who praised it for saving their lives and keeping them protected, now wanna distance themselves from it and deny it thrice.

like others have suggested in this thread, (and i will paraphrase) blaming a DoD exam from the middle of the decade on obama is about as lame as it gets.

Then there should be no shame in Obama continuing with GWs evil plan.

Funny how some lefties think his ideas were so bad till Obama decides to continue on with them.

tony hipchest
06-18-2009, 09:25 PM
what the heck are you talking about? this thread has absolutely nothing to do with obama. it has to do with a DoD examination paper devised under the guidelines of the global war on terror strategy.

its funny how ribs wanna obamasize absolutely everything that they disagree with or ticks them off (even to the point of holding hands with and applauding the ACLU).

absolutely nobody in this thread has said what you have implied with your obamasization. :hunch:

instead of passing the buck, just own it. i wasnt the one first to cast blame in this thread. i just showed how it was misdirected. im sure nobody wants to see the scenes in iran played out today here in america.

(although i can think of a few extremists who would like to use protesters at veterans funerals as target practice.)

Texasteel
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
What the heck are YOU talking about. This thread had nothing to do with Bush. It is about a exam trying to label protesters as low level terrorist.

Your Bush bashing, as usual, started this conversation.

TheWarDen86
06-18-2009, 09:40 PM
what the heck are you talking about? this thread has absolutely nothing to do with obama. it has to do with a DoD examination paper devised under the guidelines of the global war on terror strategy.

its funny how ribs wanna obamasize absolutely everything that they disagree with or ticks them off (even to the point of holding hands with and applauding the ACLU).

absolutely nobody in this thread has said what you have implied with your obamasization. :hunch:

instead of passing the buck, just own it. i wasnt the one first to cast blame in this thread. i just showed how it was misdirected. im sure nobody wants to see the scenes in iran played out today here in america.

(although i can think of a few extremists who would like to use protesters at veterans funerals as target practice.)

You can add me to that list. Never considered myself an extremist, but interrupting a grieving family for a cause is a bit extreme in my book.

Preacher
06-18-2009, 09:44 PM

As I said when Obama got elected.

What comes around goes around. Same thing happened to Bush for 8 years. He got blasted for things that were done and were set in motion under Clinton. So. . . Now Obama gets blasted for things that were done or set in motion under Bush.

Either both are right, or both are wrong. You don't get it one way and not the other. The Democrats made their bed over the last eight years. Now they have to suck it up and deal with it.

and conversely, the Republicans are making their bed for their next president, and they will have to suck it up and deal with it.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I HATE POLITICS.

tony hipchest
06-18-2009, 09:50 PM
You can add me to that list. Never considered myself an extremist, but interrupting a grieving family for a cause is a bit extreme in my book.i agree, its pretty disgusting and probably should be outlawed. but the same logic says protests at abortion clinics should be outlawed too.

im all for free speech and the right to assembly and protest but also subscribe to you cant yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

TheWarDen86
06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
i agree, its pretty disgusting and probably should be outlawed. but the same logic says protests at abortion clinics should be outlawed too.

im all for free speech and the right to assembly and protest but also subscribe to you cant yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

I think I can agree with that.
Our founding fathers did a pretty good job Tony, but if only they'd thought to added a "common sense" clause to the Constitution. :chuckle:

...of course, the lawyers would have a field day interpretting that one.

PisnNapalm
06-18-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't care who devised this test. What bugs the living crap outta me is that it was written in the first place.

The first amendment is at stake here. When you protest you are speaking out against whatever... If the government deems a protest against it is done by terrorists.... well... Then that whole "enemy combatant" part of the bullshit "Patriot Act" comes into play now doesn't it.

Cripes.... that's the first time I thought of it that way and it scares me even more now. Holy hell.... dwell on that for a bit.

Preacher
06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
i agree, its pretty disgusting and probably should be outlawed. but the same logic says protests at abortion clinics should be outlawed too.

Actually, there are a number of laws against that, enough that if protesters of the Iraq war were protesting an abortion clinic, many of them would have been arrested.

not saying I agree or disagree, but here is one example:

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/2000/LAW/06/28/scotus.abortion/

tony hipchest
06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
What comes around goes around. Same thing happened to Bush for 8 years. He got blasted for things that were done and were set in motion under Clinton. So. . . Now Obama gets blasted for things that were done or set in motion under Bush.

what this statement totally ignores is how petty, trivial, and obsessive it has become.

equating a single question on a DoD quiz to an ongoing 6 year war where no wmd were produced is absurd. (not saying you are doing that, but you would have to be blind to not see the others who are).

Texasteel
06-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I have to disagree Tony. The wording of the question" which IS an example" I would take as a slap in the face of one of our basic rights, the right of lawful assembly. That does worry me a little. Even if I don't agree with a protest, I believe they have that right, and should not be label terrorist, even low level.

tony hipchest
06-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I have to disagree Tony. The wording of the question" which IS an example" I would take as a slap in the face of one of our basic rights, the right of lawful assembly. That does worry me a little. Even if I don't agree with a protest, I believe they have that right, and should not be label terrorist, even low level.which is pretty much what i said in post #13 so i really dont know what youre disagreeing with other than you dont like the way i voted on this particular election (which has nothing to do with this particular thread).

so be it.

Texasteel
06-19-2009, 06:40 AM
which is pretty much what i said in post #13 so i really dont know what youre disagreeing with other than you dont like the way i voted on this particular election (which has nothing to do with this particular thread).

so be it.

Tony, I wasn't picking on you. My previous posts was in responce to your first post, post #3. My last post was in respose to your use of the words petty, trivial, and obsessive. If I missunderstood what you were saying, am sorry.

As far as who you voted for. Although I voted differently, I support your right to cast your vote for who ever you wish, a right that I have also. I spent 6 years of my life defending that right as did many other people, many that voted the same way you did.

Now respond how ever you like, I will not answer. Out of respenct for the original poster I refuse to help take this thread further off topic, getting in a pissing match with you.

steelpinstripe72
06-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Here at UB (University at Buffalo), we had demonstrators in front of the library on Saturdays when the weather was good (read: no snow). They were from this church (Grace and Truth something or other) a couple streets away from the campus. You could hear them all the way down to my apartment as they paraded around with their signs, handed out their Chick tracts, and generally screamed at people that this was a Godless campus and that everyone was going to Hell. They even enlisted small children to help them, which for me takes it to a new low, because these kids were all of 4 or 5 years old. I'm walking up to return something at the library and this bus pulls up. Woman gets off with several small children, hands them tracts, and sends them off. This one girl - she had to be about 5, so she really didn't know better - grabbed me around the leg and took me right out. While I'm on the ground trying to get up, the aforementioned woman starts yelling at me that I need to repent (apparently she didn't notice the cross around my neck).I'm just like, my best friend led me through the Sinner's Prayer, I'm fine...really. These people were interfering with students trying to go about their business - at one point during finals week, even. They resorted to violence, both verbal and physical. Not exactly low-level terrorism, but getting darn close. Oh by the way, campus police did nothing, because they didn't want to interfere with the first amendment rights of these people. What about the rest of us who wanted the right to not feel threatened? We LIVE here. They don't.

However, still amused by the guy who in May said to me, "Oh yeah, I remember you. You're the one who said her friend told her she would be healed!" (for those of you who don't know, I have CP) I said that in...September, I think it was. November, I was baptized, the day after the baptism, I randomly started running again a bit. God had a hand, yes, but there was also a lot of hard work. But anyway, I said nothing to this guy...I just started running back to my apartment. Wish I could've seen the look on his face, but I was too busy getting out of there.