PDA

View Full Version : Term Paper Help

hindes204
06-18-2009, 10:38 PM
One of my college classes im taking this semester is "Youth Gangs in America"

I have to write a 7 page paper on anything to do with gangs, anybody have any suggestions on a topic?

tony hipchest
06-18-2009, 10:45 PM
lack of a father figure or a positive male role model greatly increases a youth to seek that influence from a gang.

protection.

an opportunity to make cash for poor kids who dont even know what an "allowance' is.

pop culture glamorizing and making gangs seem "cool".

you should be able to get 7 pages out of any of these, let alone condensing them all to 1 paper.

if that dont work, just rent "colors" and "boyz n da hood" and use 7 pages of bs summarizing them.

hindes204
06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
if that dont work, just rent "colors" and "boyz n da hood" and use 7 pages of bs summarizing them.

lol, ive seen them both...thats the easy way out, i actually want to put an effort into it. i did think about the first suggestion because i grew up in a single parent home...thanks for the suggestions

JEFF4i
06-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Don't write it on the one's who have fallen to the gangs, write it on the one's who haven't. Try and find a concurrent theme of why they didn't.

There are plenty of great examples of people who went beyond their socioeconomics, environments, and predispositions.

hindes204
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Don't write it on the one's who have fallen to the gangs, write it on the one's who haven't. Try and find a concurrent theme of why they didn't.

There are plenty of great examples of people who went beyond their socioeconomics, environments, and predispositions.

i agree there are plenty of examples of that, myself being one.....growing up in a rough Pgh neighborhood, watching lots of friends choose the wrong direction, and then my decision to join the military. However, i think i need to focus on why they do join as opposed to why they dont.................wait a minute, that sounds like a pretty good topic right there

tony hipchest
06-19-2009, 12:04 AM
wait a minute, that sounds like a pretty good topic right there

if that is the direction you are going in, you already have a pretty good outline.

1) guidance/some sort of family structure
2) protection
3) easy money
4) its the "cool" thing to do/peer pressure

hindes204
06-19-2009, 12:14 AM
if that is the direction you are going in, you already have a pretty good outline.

1) guidance/some sort of family structure
2) protection
3) easy money
4) its the "cool" thing to do/peer pressure

5) ego fulfillment
6) poverty
7) educational deficiencies

i could probably get 15 pages out of this......i wonder if i could find opposing views on "why" kids turn to gangs....maybe look at it from a nature vs. nurture point of view.......time to do some research

Preacher
06-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Your term paper is only 7 pages? Wow.

make sure to do your research. If you REALLY want to impress your professors, find the journal articles concerning your subject and look through them.

Journal articles are up to date, and scholarly, which means that you are writing a cutting edge paper, not a paper based on 30 year old information.

Then, check the bibliography of the article. That will give you a bunch of "foundational" research which is probabloy being responded to. Do that with 5 or 6 articles of differing viewpoints and make sure you look through the resources that are listed the most, especially by authors that are disagreeing.

if you write a paper using THOSE sources, and then can add something new to the discussion, it is a A paper.

hindes204
06-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Your term paper is only 7 pages? Wow.

make sure to do your research. If you REALLY want to impress your professors, find the journal articles concerning your subject and look through them.

Journal articles are up to date, and scholarly, which means that you are writing a cutting edge paper, not a paper based on 30 year old information.

Then, check the bibliography of the article. That will give you a bunch of "foundational" research which is probabloy being responded to. Do that with 5 or 6 articles of differing viewpoints and make sure you look through the resources that are listed the most, especially by authors that are disagreeing.

if you write a paper using THOSE sources, and then can add something new to the discussion, it is a A paper.

thanks preacher, i appreciate the advice........yea, this ones only 7 pages, its kind of a fluff class...i just started school again and wanted to ease my way back into it....next semester will be much more difficult

Preacher
06-19-2009, 02:42 AM
thanks preacher, i appreciate the advice........yea, this ones only 7 pages, its kind of a fluff class...i just started school again and wanted to ease my way back into it....next semester will be much more difficult

No prob. I am doing some more post-grad work

So I chuckle when I see papers that are to by 7 pages. But I also remember those days, back when I fretted over writing a five page paper.

Just remember, good sourcing and good arguing are ALWAYS the bedrock of papers.

Hope you do well on it. BTW, the professors just LOVE IT when you hand in the paper and the ink is still wet. :laughing:

theplatypus
06-19-2009, 05:27 AM
When writing a paper you can never have too many sources.

stlrtruck
06-19-2009, 07:36 AM
One of my college classes im taking this semester is "Youth Gangs in America"

I have to write a 7 page paper on anything to do with gangs, anybody have any suggestions on a topic?

If you want some stats on youth and gangs in relation to a relationship with fathers, try getting in touch with ALL PRO DAD or Family First in Tampa, FL. They may be able to help you.

hindes204
06-19-2009, 08:06 AM
If you want some stats on youth and gangs in relation to a relationship with fathers, try getting in touch with ALL PRO DAD or Family First in Tampa, FL. They may be able to help you.

i will definately look them up, thank you

revefsreleets
06-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I'd go a different direction completely. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the ACTUAL number of teens in real gangs is very, very low. I'd point out that the culture of fear and sensationalism in this country has overstated the actual threat of gangs tremendously, and that there are A) Very few gangs, B) Very few gang members C) Very little risk of our children joining a gang and D) Very little risk of actually ever being attacked by a gang.

Of course some giant urban areas will be noteworthy exceptions, but I'm speaking in generalities and in proportion to the population as a whole.

GBMelBlount
06-19-2009, 09:33 AM

have you tried this?

www.bengals.com

SteelersinCA
06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
You could make a real interesting 7 page paper on the way gangs communicate with each other. The large gangs make up their own alphabet, send coded messages, etc. You could also talk about how they communicate in prison. It is fascinating, you get to see what kind of crazy shit they come up with locked up for 23 hours a day. Bottom line, all the hits, and major decision are controlled by the shot callers INSIDE prison, the guys on the outside are just foot soldiers. So everything that happens has to get by the guards who are trained to screen for coded messages. The stuff still gets out, it's wild.

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
You could always do some digging into the early Greaser Gangs of NYC back in the early 1900s that lead into the more Notorious Gangs of "Gangsters" that robbed banks and bootleg, into then the Italian Mafia.

Or you could just go watch the movie "The Wanderers" or "The Warriors"

I like the Wanderers more myself because of the Baldies, they made me a laugh. And the Gang Fight at the end is a Freaking Classic Brawl. Totally under rated in the scheme of great on screen fights.

hindes204
06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I'd go a different direction completely. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that the ACTUAL number of teens in real gangs is very, very low. I'd point out that the culture of fear and sensationalism in this country has overstated the actual threat of gangs tremendously, and that there are A) Very few gangs, B) Very few gang members C) Very little risk of our children joining a gang and D) Very little risk of actually ever being attacked by a gang.

Of course some giant urban areas will be noteworthy exceptions, but I'm speaking in generalities and in proportion to the population as a whole.

this is all opinion, it depends on your definition of a gang....CA alone has over 120,000 gang members. There were at least 30,000 gangs and 800,000 gang members active across the USA in 2007. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs ...Did you grow up in the suburbs and were not exposed to them? Or do you just not want to admit that they exist? Im not sure where you came up with this information. Gang activity in America is a very large, and very REAL threat to the youth of America

hindes204
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
You could always do some digging into the early Greaser Gangs of NYC back in the early 1900s that lead into the more Notorious Gangs of "Gangsters" that robbed banks and bootleg, into then the Italian Mafia.

Or you could just go watch the movie "The Wanderers" or "The Warriors"

I like the Wanderers more myself because of the Baldies, they made me a laugh. And the Gang Fight at the end is a Freaking Classic Brawl. Totally under rated in the scheme of great on screen fights.

It has to have emphasis on the more modern gangs

hindes204
06-19-2009, 09:15 PM
You could make a real interesting 7 page paper on the way gangs communicate with each other. The large gangs make up their own alphabet, send coded messages, etc. You could also talk about how they communicate in prison. It is fascinating, you get to see what kind of crazy shit they come up with locked up for 23 hours a day. Bottom line, all the hits, and major decision are controlled by the shot callers INSIDE prison, the guys on the outside are just foot soldiers. So everything that happens has to get by the guards who are trained to screen for coded messages. The stuff still gets out, it's wild.

now theres a good idea, i never thought about approaching it from that angle

revefsreleets
06-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Nope, don't buy it. There were gangs in Akron, but like just about everywhere, the numbers are exaggerated, and the violence and criminal activity is overstated.

800,000? There are 305,000,000 people in this country. Even if those FBI estimates are correct (and I doubt they are), that is what? .002% of the population?

If you live in South Central LA, it's probably a big problem, as areas like that have hugely disproportionate gang memberships, I'm sure. But 99% of the population is probably under about a zero threat of gangs.

But it makes for good news, and fear sells...

fansince'76
06-20-2009, 10:57 AM
this is all opinion, it depends on your definition of a gang....CA alone has over 120,000 gang members. There were at least 30,000 gangs and 800,000 gang members active across the USA in 2007. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs ...Did you grow up in the suburbs and were not exposed to them? Or do you just not want to admit that they exist? Im not sure where you came up with this information. Gang activity in America is a very large, and very REAL threat to the youth of America

http://chattahbox.com/images/2009/06/california_gang_members.jpg

It's not a gang, it's a club!

:chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
lack of a father figure or a positive male role model greatly increases a youth to seek that influence from a gang.

protection.

an opportunity to make cash for poor kids who dont even know what an "allowance' is.

pop culture glamorizing and making gangs seem "cool".

you should be able to get 7 pages out of any of these, let alone condensing them all to 1 paper.

You could also add in peer pressure in schools(Perfect example of that would be High School).