PDA

View Full Version : FDA claims Cheerios is a drug

MACH1
06-19-2009, 09:05 AM
The FDA has recently made claims that Cheerios is a drug. The claims originates from the labeling on the box of Cheerios which claims that by eating Cheerios for six weeks you can lower your bad cholesterol by up to four percent. The label on the box also includes that by eating two servings of Cheerios twice a day along with a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol you can lower your bad cholesterol. Apparently only drugs that are specifically manufactured and been tested for that purpose can make those claims and Cheerios has not been approved as a drug by the FDA. Clear as mud, right?

When in doubt head for the source, in this case the FDA. The letter from the FDA to General Mills is on the internet (click here to view the letter from the FDA to General Mills). After reading the FDA letter the reason for their claim becomes clearer. The FDA is not taking issue with the health claim printed on the lower left hand corner of the box but separate statements regarding the benefit of eating Cheerios. It is these separate statements which, according to the FDA, are in violation of federal regulations regarding the marketing of food products.

Furthermore, according the FDA, the health claim can include a statement that the substance reduces the risk of coronary heart disease through the intermediate link of lowering blood total and LDL cholesterol. That statement needs to be part of the health claim. In this case Cheerios has included stand-alone claims, including a clinical study supporting the claim that consumption of Cheerios can reduce bad cholesterol. Due to the placement of these other statements and the difference in fonts and text sizes the FDA is stating that Cheerios has violated the federal regulations.

So, why is Cheerios now considered a drug? According to the FDA’s letter to General Mills the separate statements on the box indicate that Cheerios is intended for use in lowering cholesterol and therefore in ‘preventing, mitigating and treating’ the disease hypercholesterolemia and coronary heart disease through the lowering of both good (HDL) and bad (LDL) cholesterol. Due to these intended uses the product is considered to be a drug. Cheerios has never been tested to be used as a drug so not only is the product being marketing as such, according to the FDA but that it is also a new drug.

And that, in a nutshell, is the reason that the FDA is now stating that Cheerios is a drug. General Mills is saying that they work within the federal regulations and their labeling has been approved for twelve years.

Labeling and marketing of products is important for all of us but especially for those of us with a nutrition plan. For those of us runners out there with nutrition plan and I dare say most runners have one, this will be an interesting story to follow.

http://www.examiner.com/x-3696-Baltimore-Running-Fitness-Examiner~y2009m5d14-FDA-claims-Cheerios-is-a-drug

SteelersinCA
06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Dude, I'm so jacked up from my Cheerios bowl this morning, it's awesome you gotta try some of this drug!!!

devilsdancefloor
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
wow! so my honey nut cheerios are drugs man i better watch out i might OD

stlrtruck
06-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Dude, I'm so jacked up from my Cheerios bowl this morning, it's awesome you gotta try some of this drug!!!

So do you roll it or cook it?

NJarhead
06-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Remember "an apple a day will keep the doctor away?"

Are apples drugs too?

Ri-diculous.

SteelersinCA
06-19-2009, 12:42 PM
So do you roll it or cook it?

Well first i sniff it to make sure it's fresh, then I pour this other drug on it that supposedly makes my teeth and bones strong (that's a good feeling too!). Then I just straight inject it into my mouth. I'm crazy when it comes to my boxed drugs!!! :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
And to think, I stopped eating 6 pieces of bacon every morning and switched to Special K...should have been eating Cheerios this entire time.

Fire Haley
06-19-2009, 01:35 PM
So I should just crush my Cheerios up into a powder and snort it?

NJarhead
06-19-2009, 01:40 PM
So I should just crush my Cheerios up into a powder and snort it?

If you want to live a long and healthy life, yes. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
06-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Next up.

Cheerios suppositories - on a string.

KeiselPower99
06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Give me give me give me!!!!