PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Ready for N. Korean Attack

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Hawaii Ready for N. Korean Attack
June 19, 2009
Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea - The United States says it has deployed anti-missile defenses around Hawaii, following reports that North Korea is preparing to fire its most advanced ballistic missile in that direction to coincide with the U.S. Independence Day holiday next month.

Last week, the communist regime vowed to bolster its nuclear arsenal and threatened war to protest U.N. sanctions in the wake of its May 25 nuclear test. It conducted its first nuclear test in April, and there are suspicions it is preparing for a third.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday that the military has set up additional defenses around Hawaii, consisting of a ground-based mobile missile system and a radar system nearby. Together they could shoot an incoming missile in mid air.

"Without telegraphing what we will do, I would just say ... we are in a good position, should it become necessary, to protect Americans and American territory," Gates told reporters in Washington.

Gates' comments come after Japan's Yomiuri newspaper reported that North Korea might test fire a Taepodong-2 missile with a range of up to 4,000 miles (6,500 kilometers), sometime around the U.S. holiday of Independence Day on July 4.

Yomiuri said the missile, which could be launched from North Korea's Tongchang-ri site, would fly over Japan but would not be able to reach Hawaii, which is about 4,500 miles (7,200 kilometers) from the Korean peninsula.

North Korea test-fired a similar long-range missile on July 4 three years ago, but it failed seconds after liftoff.

A spokesman for the Japanese Defense Ministry declined to comment on Yomiuri's report, which cited an analysis by Japan's Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

South Korea's government also remained silent on the report, but made a general appeal to North Korea to follow international norms.

"We hope that North Korea, first of all (will) give up nuclear ambitions and abide by the agreement that we made in 1992 -- that is, a basic agreement for denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," South Korean Prime Minister Han Seung-soo told reporters.

The sanctions mandated by the U.N. Security Council resolution on North Korea call on all 192 U.N. member states to inspect vessels on the high seas - with the owner country's approval - if they believe the cargo contains banned weapons.

In what would be the first test case for the sanctions, the U.S. military has begun tracking a North Korean-flagged ship, Kang Nam, which left a port in North Korea on Wednesday, two U.S. officials said.

The ship, which may be carrying illicit weapons, was in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of China on Thursday, the officials said on condition of anonymity because they were discussing intelligence.

It was uncertain what the Kang Nam was carrying, but it has been involved in weapons proliferation before, one of the officials said.

Pyongyang's missile and nuclear programs are centerpieces of the regime's catalog of weapons of mass destruction.

On Thursday, the independent International Crisis Group said the North is believed to have between 2,500 and 5,000 tons of chemical weapons, including mustard gas, phosgene, blood agents and sarin. These weapons can be delivered with ballistic missiles and long-range artillery and are "sufficient to inflict massive civilian casualties on South Korea."

<
Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This is getting out of hand.

http://www.military.com/news/article/hawaii-boosts-defense-to-counter-threat.html

Note: You may not have access to this link.

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Ok, just a quick question...would NK being even talking this way had McCain (prisoner of war tortured by Chinese backed Vietnemese Soldiers) been elected President?

Part of me is thankful McCain was not Elected because I always wondered if we wouldn't be going to war with China because he had some deep resentment toward them, yet the other part of me wonders, would having a Veteran like that in charge of things (Not a Bush Veteran either, but a Real War Time Vet) not put other nations on alert to say "Lets not Fck with the US for at least 4 years because that guy, he's nuts".

I just wonder. I have a feeling that NK would be nice and behaved if we had as our President a guy who knew Pain and Suffering and has seen the hardships of War. Not on TV, but for real.

devilsdancefloor
06-19-2009, 11:12 AM
i dont think it would matter with North Korea the guys a bit nuts and saber rattled when W was in office. i just think he is very unstable as his father before him. But i do think since barry is in office we will have to deal with more types of this crap even uncle joe thinks so.

revefsreleets
06-19-2009, 11:14 AM
McCain isn't stupid, and he hates war. We aren't going to war with China over anything...they need us, and we need them. It's symbiotic now.

However, we don't need NK for anything. If they launch a weapon at us, I say we tactically nuke them into submission. People will die, but that's the price you pay for attacking the US.

But if there is a missle launched at us under Obama, all I expect is diplomacy, which will open the door for every crackpot in the world to open fire on us. Just as Clinton gave the World a blueprint for how to hit us where we are weak (governing by popular opinion instead of common sense, ala Somalia), Obama can show the world the next step in leveling the playing field between the only hyperpower and any shitcan banana republic in the world.

Fire Haley
06-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Here we go...

U.S. Military Set to Intercept North Korean Ship

The USS John McCain, a navy destroyer, will intercept the ship Kang Nam as soon as it leaves the vicinity off the coast of China, according to a senior U.S. defense official.

The U.S. military is seeking to intercept a flagged North Korean ship suspected of proliferating weapons material in violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution passed last Friday, FOX News has learned.

The ship left a port in North Korea Wednesday and appears to be heading toward Singapore, according to a senior U.S. military source. The vessel, which the military has been tracking since its departure, could be carrying weaponry, missile parts or nuclear materials.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/19/military-set-intercept-north-korean-ship-suspected-proliferatin-missiles-nukes/

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/rabscuttle-fr/mccaintruthfile/McCain-Queeg-Parody.jpg

revefsreleets
06-19-2009, 11:21 AM
We can fire pieces of paper with strongly worded rebukes from Obama across their bow...

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
McCain isn't stupid, and he hates war. We aren't going to war with China over anything...they need us, and we need them. It's symbiotic now.

However, we don't need NK for anything. If they launch a weapon at us, I say we tactically nuke them into submission. People will die, but that's the price you pay for attacking the US.

But if there is a missle launched at us under Obama, all I expect is diplomacy, which will open the door for every crackpot in the world to open fire on us. Just as Clinton gave the World a blueprint for how to hit us where we are weak (governing by popular opinion instead of common sense, ala Somalia), Obama can show the world the next step in leveling the playing field between the only hyperpower and any shitcan banana republic in the world.

A war with NK would be a proxy war with China. That's all I meant by "war with China" More Proxy Wars with them than real ground war. After all, everyone knows, "You Don't Get Involved in a Land War in Asia."

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 11:51 AM
We can fire pieces of paper with strongly worded rebukes from Obama across their bow...

:rofl:

Not to encourage round 25 of Revefs / Hipchest's "Warin' in the forum", but that was funny.

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 11:53 AM

I agree, this is a pretty hilarious!

revefsreleets
06-19-2009, 12:17 PM
"The pen is mightier than the sword"

Tony hasn't had a post of substance in reference to me (at least in the GD forum) since the WIPP debate.

Of course, he'll take umbrage with that statement, but what else is new?

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 12:21 PM
For the record, Tony is my buddy. That's why I tend to shy away from the political threads....usually.

SteelersinCA
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
The USS John McCain, a navy destroyer, will intercept the ship Kang Nam as soon as it leaves the vicinity off the coast of China, according to a senior U.S. defense official.

Anybody else find this ironic? The USS John McCain?

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Pretty sure its named for Senator McCain's dad. But yes, the Irony is Hilarious!

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Obama dispatches McCain to take care of North Korea!

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 12:49 PM
What happened, did the phone Ring at 3am?

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Anybody else find this ironic? The USS John McCain?

Extremely ironic. However, I wonder if it would have been the same if McCain were pres. He may have had another boat do it.

I've also heard that the McCain is NOT equipped with a cannon. Only missles. It'll be interesting to see how determined we are about stopping that boat.

Pretty sure its named for Senator McCain's dad.

Yep.

Fire Haley
06-19-2009, 01:17 PM
China has a sub that has been shadowing it.

Sub collides with sonar array towed by U.S. Navy ship

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In what a U.S. military official calls an "inadvertent encounter," a Chinese submarine hit an underwater sonar array being towed by the destroyer USS John McCain on Thursday.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/06/12/china.submarine/art.mccain.afp.gi.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/12/china.submarine/?iref=mpstoryview

Dino 6 Rings
06-19-2009, 01:24 PM
But its not a proxy war with China...nope.

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
China has a sub that has been shadowing it.

Sub collides with sonar array towed by U.S. Navy ship

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In what a U.S. military official calls an "inadvertent encounter," a Chinese submarine hit an underwater sonar array being towed by the destroyer USS John McCain on Thursday.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/06/12/china.submarine/art.mccain.afp.gi.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/12/china.submarine/?iref=mpstoryview

The plot thickens. We could be at war by Sunday.

steelreserve
06-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't even understand why anyone is worried. When it comes to this sort of thing, North Korea is the military equivalent of Wile E. Coyote. Everything they try to show off either crashes or blows up, or if it's supposed to blow up, it doesn't.

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I don't even understand why anyone is worried. When it comes to this sort of thing, North Korea is the military equivalent of Wile E. Coyote. Everything they try to show off either crashes or blows up, or if it's supposed to blow up, it doesn't.

They have a damn good army and at least minimal support from the Chinese. There is plenty to be concerned with.

That said, I know we are capable of kicking thier ass.

Fire Haley
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
America Held Hostage - the Obama Files.

Elections have consequences.

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
America Held Hostage - the Obama Files.

Elections have consequences.

Well, in all fairness, we don't know that yet. He hasn't really done anything regarding our military to show that he won't do what it takes.

Thinking about it, Wilson, FDR and LBJ were all Dems. Obama may surprise us all.

Fire Haley
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Well, in all fairness, we don't know that yet. He hasn't really done anything regarding our military to show that he won't do what it takes.

Thinking about it, Wilson, FDR and LBJ were all Dems. Obama may surprise us all.

He's an appeaser.

He's no JFK.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - John F. Kennedy

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 02:42 PM
He's an appeaser.

He's no JFK.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - John F. Kennedy

But he's all we've got. Personally, and I say thi knowing that I could be wrong, I think he'll do the right thing. Heck, he may be forced to do it. We'll see.

steelreserve
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
They have a damn good army and at least minimal support from the Chinese. There is plenty to be concerned with.

That said, I know we are capable of kicking thier ass.

Well, an actual war, I'd be concerned about. These missile launches, not so much. They can't seem to get anything technological to work right; it's almost comical to watch.

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Well, an actual war, I'd be concerned about. These missile launches, not so much. They can't seem to get anything technological to work right; it's almost comical to watch.

True, but it's still a very dangerous game they're playing.

steelreserve
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
True, but it's still a very dangerous game they're playing.

True enough. But I also kind of feel like it hardly even matters what we do in response to this type of thing anymore. Their leader is certifiably, batshit insane, and either he feels like going all the way and starting a war, or he doesn't. I've come to the conclusion that if he really loses it, there's really nothing anyone can do to prevent that.

That's a frightening prospect, to be sure, but I can take plenty of comfort in the fact that if they have any weapons of mass destruction, they probably won't work, and it'd be a matter of days before us or someone else with a modern army stomped their dicks in the dirt. Now if I lived in Japan or South Korea, it'd be a different story.

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 05:00 PM
True enough. But I also kind of feel like it hardly even matters what we do in response to this type of thing anymore. Their leader is certifiably, batshit insane, and either he feels like going all the way and starting a war, or he doesn't. I've come to the conclusion that if he really loses it, there's really nothing anyone can do to prevent that.

That's a frightening prospect, to be sure, but I can take plenty of comfort in the fact that if they have any weapons of mass destruction, they probably won't work, and it'd be a matter of days before us or someone else with a modern army stomped their dicks in the dirt. Now if I lived in Japan or South Korea, it'd be a different story.

Can't argue there. If all we had to worry about is N. Korea then I wouldn't be at all concerned. My concern is mostly what the Chinese are thinking/planning.

MACH1
06-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Followed up by a round of apologies.

steelreserve
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Can't argue there. If all we had to worry about is N. Korea then I wouldn't be at all concerned. My concern is mostly what the Chinese are thinking/planning.

I doubt the Chinese want any part of this. Maybe back in the 1970s or 1980s they saw them as a potential ally for communism or whatever, but there's no way that overrides the fact that North Korea has gone downhill into total insanity since then. At best, they're like the psycho ex-girlfriend that you have to pretend to be nice to because she still hangs out with your friends and knows where you live.

TheWarDen86
06-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I doubt the Chinese want any part of this. Maybe back in the 1970s or 1980s they saw them as a potential ally for communism or whatever, but there's no way that overrides the fact that North Korea has gone downhill into total insanity since then. At best, they're like the psycho ex-girlfriend that you have to pretend to be nice to because she still hangs out with your friends and knows where you live.

They seem to be monitoring the tension closely and have even argued for less or more lenient sanctions. They definitely care what happens there.

MasterOfPuppets
06-19-2009, 07:36 PM
if they're lobbing missiles over japan, doesn't japan kinda have the right to take em out? why not set up the anti missile systems in japan amd south korea ? :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
06-19-2009, 07:38 PM
They seem to be monitoring the tension closely and have even argued for less or more lenient sanctions. They definitely care what happens there.
but when it comes right down to it, north korea doesn't butter china's bread... we do. :chuckle:

fansince'76
06-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Followed up by a round of apologies.

And full acceptance of blame for the whole thing on behalf of the U.S. :coffee:

steelwall
06-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Setting up missles in Japan would be a mistake. Fact is hardly any other country in Asia likes Japan after WWII.

As far as China goes, I live here and see what is being shown on state run media. It's all fairly negative as it pertains to NK. China sends alot in aid to them (as many countries do) and they really only get headaches out of it. They are not happy NK is pulling this insanity.

You have to remember in NK that little woman with the big sunglasses is portrayed as nothing less than a God. That little woman is insane, and everyone knows it accept the people living there.

steelreserve
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM

I meant in terms of fighting or generally military staredowns. They probably want that just as little as everyone else.

Galax Steeler
06-20-2009, 05:36 AM
I think we just need to blow that crazy S.O.B off the map and be done with him.

TheWarDen86
06-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I meant in terms of fighting or generally military staredowns. They probably want that just as little as everyone else.

The problem is, no one really knows for sure. I don't think we want to get into it with them.

JEFF4i
06-20-2009, 04:24 PM
President Obama really should get on T.V. and send a message to Lil Kim saying,

"Go ahead, make my day punk."

MACH1
06-20-2009, 05:30 PM
President Obama really should get on T.V. and send a message to Lil Kim saying,

"Go ahead, make my day punk."

That would take having a spinal cord of which he does not have.

JEFF4i
06-20-2009, 05:56 PM
That would take having a spinal cord of which he does not have.

Oh Mach, tell us how you really feel. :chuckle:

fansince'76
06-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Setting up missles in Japan would be a mistake. Fact is hardly any other country in Asia likes Japan after WWII.

I agree - there'd be no better way to REALLY piss the Chinese off than to plant nukes in Japan.