View Full Version : Harris: Favre's act wouldn't play in Pittsburgh

mesaSteeler
06-20-2009, 01:18 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_630313.html
Harris: Favre's act wouldn't play in Pittsburgh
Buzz up!
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, June 20, 2009

John Harris is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail or at 412-481-5432.

It appears Brett Favre is getting ready to un-retire.

Again.

Apparently, Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress is as desperate as former New York Jets coach Eric Mangini was a year ago.

Mangini's Jets collapsed behind Favre's poor play late in the season and missed the playoffs. Mangini has to be pinching himself for his good fortune after stumbling into the job as the Cleveland Browns new coach.

How'd that Favre experiment turn out for Mangini in New York?

Don't ask.

Or, better yet, ask Childress what he's thinking.

A year from now, Childress could be answering the same question.

A year from now, Favre could be preparing to un-retire with another team.

There's a sucker born every offseason in the NFL as it pertains to Favre.

The NFL is rife with desperate coaches only too willing to tear their team apart for an aging quarterback who won't go away until he settles a childish vendetta with Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The more I see of Favre's tired act, the more I appreciate how the Steelers do business. :applaudit:

Steelers management would never allow a player from outside the organization to hold the coaching staff and his teammates hostage by missing every voluntary offseason practice and workout and then showing up on the first day of training camp behaving as if nothing happened.

So what if Favre ran the same offense in Green Bay that he'd run in Minnesota. We're talking about the starting quarterback, a supposed franchise quarterback at that. Favre just can't show up when he feels like it.

Not on the Steelers, he couldn't.

It's why you rarely hear players on the Steelers complain about their contract status, even after winning Super Bowl XLIII - James Harrison, notwithstanding.

If ever there was an offseason for potential diastractions among the Steelers for wanting to be paid after winning another Super Bowl, this would have been the year.

There's a reason why the Steelers are focused on winning Super Bowls, while teams like the Jets and Vikings risk everything to accomodate Favre's demands while threatening to destroy team chemistry.

No player is bigger than the overall 53, no matter how talented. Besides, Favre isn't the player he used to be.

Favre desires a team that needs him more than he needs them. He needs a team where it's all about him. He's T.O. lite.

It isn't the Steeler way to bend rules for one player at the expense of the entire roster.

While the Steelers attended mandatatory and voluntary practices without fail, Favre invited reporters to watch him throw passes to high school kids in Mississippi.

Favre has been made to feel he's bigger than any team, bigger than the game that made him an NFL icon.

The Jets got what they deserved for gambling on Favre. The clock on the Vikings' courtship of Favre is ticking like a time bomb.

Galax Steeler
06-20-2009, 06:06 AM
I get so tired of hearing about Farve. I respected him when he retired at Green Bay but what he has done the last couple of years I just don't care for much.

mulldog24
06-20-2009, 07:05 AM
I get so tired of hearing about Farve. I respected him when he retired at Green Bay but what he has done the last couple of years I just don't care for much.

I agree, I wish he would just take his legacy and just fade away.

stillers4me
06-20-2009, 08:07 AM
And now the Jets are a year behind in starting over with a new QB. I don't get it.

Thank God I'm a Steelers fan.

Rek
06-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I like BF as a QB, always have, always will....but Jesus, enough with the drama already. We get it. You're retired than you're not than you are than your arm isn't strong enough, then blah blah blah. Of course, ESPN grabs every single nonsense detail and runs it into the ground.

TackleMeBen
06-20-2009, 10:22 AM
favre just needs to go back to the farm and stay.

Godfather
06-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Brett would be an upgrade over anyone the Vikes currently have. That's why Childress practically begged him to unretire. I just hope he decides not to go to Minnesota because that would make him a bad guy in Green Bay.

A year from now he'll probably retire, and one of 10-15 teams with crappy quarterbacks will hound him to unretire, and BSPN will blow it way out of proportion. It would be better if he just starts signing one-year contracts and being a temporary hired gun.

lilyoder6
06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
favre just needs to get this done.. i am getting tired of it...

u can only read so much about 1 person in an offseason

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
06-20-2009, 05:06 PM
It's like watching Old Yeller over and over again...

How many times will you come back only to throw yet another season ending interception?

Just disappear already!

scsteeler
06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I am so sick of hearing about the Favre watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing Brett is going to do for a team now is give them something to hope for and they will do like the Jets!!!!

Think they have the guy now to take them to the Promise land.

Maybe it is just me but adding Favre to your team now will no more guarantee a Playoff or Superbowl run than if you had brought in a no name guy and give that person the same confidence and support that teams allow Favre.

Maybe if these teams supported the QB's they had like they are doing Brett those guys would perform a lot better but in this league I understand the need to boost ticket sales and adding Favre to your team will do that for a year or two.

goodfellajd
06-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree Favre's act would never happen in Pittsburgh, Here is a video why it could never happen! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBrXyjI8UGE&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div

LVSteelersfan
06-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I hope Favre comes back to the VIkings. That way we will get to bury his punk A $ $ and his sorry, washed up story into the Heinz Field turf and finish him off once and for all. Meet Mr. Harrison and Mr. Woodley jacka$$. That is if Baltimore doesn't finish him off the week before. Of course we get to kill Cutler in week 2, Philip RIvers on October 4 and hopefully we finally get a shot at Lady Quinn on October 18. It is going to be fun watching some QBs wish they never made it to starter status. Especially Favre and Cutler.

HughC
06-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Favre was great in the mid-90's and again for a couple years early in this decade, but in my opinion he's had as many mediocre season as good seasons over the course of his career. He's been the beneficiary of a generally very friendly media led by John Madden that overlooks his careless throws that result in interceptions. Now this annual (what is it, five years in a row now?) retire or play drama has grown really tired.

The question is, if Favre returns for another season will Madden also return to call the game when he sets the NFL record for fumbles, to go along with his interception record?

steel striker
06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
It is beyond getting old and, there was a time that I like Brett. That time is gone now and, I wish he would go away. He has had his time in the lime light now it is time for others to have their turn. I bet he won't feel so good if he has a repeat performance of the way last year ended. I know he was hurt but, who is not banged around that time of year? Enough is enough and, the media is sure loving all of this gives them something to talk about. My prediction it will end badly with Brett throwing 30 int's.

rick723
06-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Never liked favre, never will. I watched him boo hoo and slobber on my TV for three weeks to retire. I hope whoever takes him loses every game.

wezx
06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes, the Rooney family and Steelers front office would never dirty themselves or the team in such a situation. Yet another reason for my complete respect and admiration for the Rooney Family. :hatsoff:

Stlrs4Life
06-21-2009, 09:17 PM

I agree. Good article. No way it would happen in Pittsburgh.

Steely McSmash
06-21-2009, 09:28 PM
In so much as he's continuing to tarnish his undeserved reputation, I say let him continue to make a fool of himself.

What hasn't been said yet I think is that the Steelers have never been a team with a plan to contend just one year. Here every year builds into the next for a consistently competetive team. The only FA guys that have a role in black and gold are young promising ones and veteran depth guys.

AllD
06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
If he starts the season, he will not finish it standing up.