PDA

View Full Version : No Big Name Free Agents, No Problem

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
No big name free agents no problem for Steelers
June 22, 1:03 AM
Examiner.com

Another off-season and another “yawn” for those Steelers fans that get excited at the possibility of their team bringing in a big-name free agent or two.

Since NFL free agency began in 1993, the Steelers have been one of the few teams that don’t make big splashes in the market instead focusing on retaining their own players and relying on the draft to fill roster spots. That mind-set did not change this year and for a franchise that has six super bowl titles why would it?

This off-season began with the team placing the franchise tag on offensive tackle Max Starks. Offensive Guard Chris Kemoeatu was next on the list agreeing to a five year contract, while offensive tackle’s Willie Colon and Trai Essex also signed. The Steelers wrapped it up by agreeing to a lucrative six year contract extension with linebacker and NFL Defensive MVP James Harrison, an extension with wide receiver Hines Ward that will keep him in the black and gold until 2013, and a deal with free agent wide receiver Shaun McDonald.

Important moves? Of course. But, just like every year, some fans believe the defending Super Bowl Champs should have done more.

Some felt the Steelers should have pushed hard to sign Indianapolis pro bowl center Jeff Saturday. Others thought they needed a big name wide receiver, such as Joey Galloway or Torry Holt. One Pittsburgh sports radio personality even said the Steelers should take a chance on locker room cancer Terrell Owens. Thank god owner Dan Rooney did not drink whatever that guy was sipping on that day.

Fact is this franchise takes care of its own players.

“We've never been a big free-agency team because we don't believe that's the way to put a team together, exclusively", Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert said.

"We believe that the draft will always be the main part of your team, but we also believe that you'll have to plug in the occasional free agent. In recent years, we haven't gone after the high-end market (players) because we've concentrated on keeping our own players, who may have been higher-end guys if they became free agents.”

The Steelers front office obviously has enough confidence in their offensive linemen (whom were all drafted by the team) that they didn’t need to sign a free agent. The team also feels that Limas Sweed (drafted in 2007) will improve enough this year to not need to sign an expensive wide receiever.

Some believe more should have been done. Me? I believe Limas Sweed makes that catch next year
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2009m6d22-No-big-name-free-agents-no-problem-for-Steelers

KeiselPower99
06-22-2009, 09:35 AM
What jackass in Pittsburgh thought we needed T.O.???

mulldog24
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I believe they were on crack that day they wanted T.O.!!!! I to think that Sweed makes that catch this year!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
What jackass in Pittsburgh thought we needed T.O.???

Mark Madden? He is the first "tool", (that second guesses everthing the organization does or doesnt do) that comes to mind.

The_WARDen
06-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Wasn't James Harrison their big signing? Getting the current DPOY signed long term is a big deal.

KeiselPower99
06-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Mark Madden? He is the first "tool", (that second guesses everthing the organization does or doesnt do) that comes to mind.

Thats the only one I could think of.

Dino 6 Rings
06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Isn't Mark Madden officially banned from being mentioned on this board?

If not, he should be, the guy is a piece of trash. I hated watching the Best Defenses show this weekend on NFL Network because he was their "steelers" guy. Effing tool box.

Dino 6 Rings
06-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Who have been our last major free agents?

Clark, Moore, Hartwig, Mahan (failure signing) this year Shaun McDonald. Who else have we gotten lately in FA that really helped the team?

Najeh was a failure as far as I'm concerned. Wilson was ok for what he was as a Wide Receiver for a season or two.

TackleMeBen
06-22-2009, 12:20 PM
just think though, if we would have signed T.O. he could go on t.v and cry and defend his new qb..lol..

Dino 6 Rings
06-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I was kind of hoping we'd go after Holt myself, and still hold out hope that the Rams have a brain fart and trade us Steven Jackson for 3 draft picks to be named in the 2019, 2021, and 2022.

But otherwise, I like what we are doing bringing in return guys, beefing up the OL with some draft picks, taking a FB in the draft and bringing in the WR we did as well as drafting the Lightning Bolt Wallace. And of coarse, drafting Ziggy.

CanadianSteel
06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Who have been our last major free agents?

Clark, Moore, Hartwig, Mahan (failure signing) this year Shaun McDonald. Who else have we gotten lately in FA that really helped the team?

Najeh was a failure as far as I'm concerned. Wilson was ok for what he was as a Wide Receiver for a season or two.

In retrospect "Potsy" aka James Farrior was a very solid FA pick-up. Not sure if thats considered recent.... Ryan Clark falls into similar mold very solid move that at the time was just "ho-hum"

LVSteelersfan
06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I think Sean McDonald is going to be the steal this year that Moore was last year. Not big name, splashy players, but players that do their job without spending a lot of money. Those other teams can have Galloway and Holt (both getting old as dirt) and TO can go jump off a cliff for all I care about him. I think this year's draft is going to turn out to be special over the next few years.

slashsteel
06-22-2009, 04:22 PM
TO and Steelers just don't belong in the same sentence.

Steelers learned a little from the Plax situation IMO.

No head cases no thank you.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I like the way this team is run, actually I love the way this team is run.

The Redskins signed Haynesworth...they more than likely won't even make the playoffs.

Also, a big problem with some of the big named free agents is their play slips some after they get that big paycheck. While Haynesworth will still be a very good player who will probably make a few more pro bowls, I doubt he will be the force he was these last two years in Tennessee.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-22-2009, 06:22 PM

I never understood that guy, he's like a self-hating Steeler fan. I saw a special where he tried somewhat to bash your guys fan base and the terrible towel.

In the Cleveland Market we have this guy who's a Steeler fan who hosts a show on the ESPN radio affiliate. It's weird to hear him talk about the Browns because he's not really a fan.

Back on topic, really the only time I see that going after a big name is really viable is if you feel you're one player away. The Vikings and their need for a QB is a great example of this.

triphahn
06-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Quite simply since the NFL merger the Steelers have been the best team in football. A few bad years, mostly good years and more then then a few great years. The model for an NFL franchise. They have built and are maintaining a great team without the help of free agency. Its good to be a Steelers fan.

Rek
06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
TO and Steelers just don't belong in the same sentence.

Steelers learned a little from the Plax situation IMO.

No head cases no thank you.

Hmmm... how about....

James Harrison of the PITTSBURGH STEELERS decided to pummel TO with his bare hands. Why? Because he can.

Is that an acceptable sentence? :sofunny:

slashsteel
06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Ok so I take it back ..

in some instances TO can be in the same sentence. But James has to be pummeling him every time.:tt02:

And of course he can we wouldn't have it any other way.

:tt02:

MongoSteeler
06-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Young, coachable players that can play a role and continue to develope to become good starters later on are the type of freeagents the Steelers look for. The only other type they pick up are "emergency" FA's such as Leftowich last year.
Personally, I'm quite happy with that.

Boomerang
06-22-2009, 09:31 PM
They run the organisation well and only go int FA whan its a necessity.

LVSteelersfan
06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Its the reason I have been a Steeler fan for almost 40 years. They are class from head to toe. When someone gets too out of line, they hit the road jack. Cedrick Wilson was GONE toot sweet. They only draft high character guys. Once in awhile one slips through (Plaxico) but they are never around very long. High priced free agents are a joke for the most part. They just want the money. Give them the money, and nine times out of ten, they are not worth it. Tennessee will rue the day they paid Nate Washington and the Jets are reeling with Faneca, old and past his prime.

Galax Steeler
06-23-2009, 04:35 AM
Like every year we just have to trust the front office. We did not go after T O so I guess they have done a good job so far.