PDA

View Full Version : twitter

KeiselPower99
06-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Can someone please explain to me why twitter is a popular thing? Do people really need to know every aspect of your life?

stlrtruck
06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Can someone please explain to me why twitter is a popular thing? Do people really need to know every aspect of your life?

Yes of course they do and if someone can make money off of it, then by all means they're going to try.

I refuse to use twitter!

Dino 6 Rings
06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Its a way for people in the media to build a following and create a buzz about themselves. Kind of like free marketing or adverstising. Movie Stars, Athletes and even some Companies can use it to get "the word out" about their product.

It is really just mass texting. Has its uses but not something I'd ever get involved in myself since I'm just a humble person without a mass following. Well, unless you count the voices in my head, because then, I have a huge network of fans.

revefsreleets
06-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Look at the success of facebook and myspace. What purpose do those pages really serve? I have friends who claim to put them to good use as "social networking outlets", but I still look and only see the highest order of attention whorism: "Whoopee, look at me!"

stlrtruck
06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Look at the success of facebook and myspace. What purpose do those pages really serve? I have friends who claim to put them to good use as "social networking outlets", but I still look and only see the highest order of attention whorism: "Whoopee, look at me!"

I use facebook because it keeps me in touch with friends and family. I don't use it daily but enough to know what's happening in the lives of those I don't live around but want to keep in touch.

Fire Haley
Since anyone can tweet, that means anyone can post whatever they want -- true or not.

If texting is like olde timey telegraphs - messages sent person to person - then tweeting is like leaving up a note on a public bulletin board - anyone can access your drivel.

Comes back to the same old advice - Don't believe everything you read.

Facebook is more of a stalker, sexual predator thing though.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/Codeine93/61dc797ca5270b3d-1-1.jpg

TackleMeBen
i have a facebook page, and i cant tell you the last time i was on it. and the twitter thing. i dont understand that... i mean does someone really need to know what you are doing every second, i dont need to know when someone is going to the bathroom or buying something. come on now.

KeiselPower99
06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a myspace and can almost understand it. I use mine to find new music and catch up with old friends and new ones. Twitter just makes no sense to me. I need to update so everyone can know what im doing. And if yall care im sitting at my house on Steelers Fever!!!

Fire Haley
06-22-2009, 11:05 AM
The deal is - you can broadcast your most important crap for the world to see from any device - phone/crackberry, computer laptop, etc - to anyone else in the world instantly.

What is special, and why it is making an impact in Iran right now, is that you can broadcast using SMS, which almost every cell phone has right now. The short format allows it to be used from even very simple devices.

Of course, it could be you're just witnessing the transitional evolutionary stage between human and machine.

Change is inevitable.

Don't be afraid, the assimilation only stings for a little while.

steelreserve
06-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Twitter seems like it's basically the Internet for people who are too lazy to even use Facebook.

Seems like a great way to keep your fans entertained and going OMG if you're already some kind of celebrity. If not, it's a bunch of boring useless crap.

The Patriot
06-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Twitter will save Iranian democracy.

Hammer67
06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
You know...I was always against the self glorification that is vanity websites. I never had a Myspace page and saw no need for facebook. Since my daughter was born and the fact that there was a recent HS reunion with a Facebook site, I decided to tiptoe in to see what the deal was.

I have to say, it is a nice tool to keep in touch with some long lost souls. I go on sparingly to share some photos to selected family and friends, and even catch up with some old aquaintences.

One thing I HATE about these sites are the people who constantly post garbage like "Whew, watching some TV and fell asleep this afternoon!" or "I am so happy with my life right now!!"

Just stop, already. No one needs or cares about cryptic details of your life. I mean, why not post every time you take a sh*t? And, if you play stupid mafia wars, you get blocked, period.

The good thing is you can block people or ignore topics. These sites have some good uses. But some people are just either sad or need lives out there, and these sites make them painfully obvious.

Fire Haley
06-22-2009, 12:54 PM
http://cagle.com/working/090619/cam.jpg

tony hipchest
06-22-2009, 07:36 PM
that cartoon is hilarious and sad at the same time.

while the whole twitter craze is a bit bizarre, this has got to be the coolest one to date-

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/05/13/twitter.space/index.html

(CNN) -- It's not quite the achievement of a lunar landing, but astronaut Mike Massimino made Twitter history with a 139-character post to the micro-blogging site -- the first person to do so from space.

A seven-member crew aboard space shuttle Atlantis is headed to the Hubble Space Telescope to make repairs.

"From orbit: Launch was awesome!! I am feeling great, working hard, & enjoying the magnificent views, the adventure of a lifetime has begun!" he wrote at 4:30 p.m. ET Tuesday.

With the tweet, Massimino kept his promise to file updates from the space shuttle Atlantis as it readies to repair the Hubble Space Telescope.

Massimino began tweeting in early April as he prepared for the mission. By early Wednesday, his Twitter feed, astro_mike, had more than 241,000 followers.

Atlantis launched Monday afternoon with Massimino and six other crew members. It is NASA's fifth and final repair visit to the Hubble. The crew was expected to arrive at the space telescope on Wednesday.

"I'm going to put my spacesuit on, next stop: Earth Orbit!!" Massimino posted on Twitter on Monday morning before the launch.

Another astronaut, Mark Polansky, is posting Twitter updates as he prepares for the next planned space shuttle mission to the International Space Station.

Polansky, who is tweeting as astro_127, will be the commander of the mission, scheduled for June.