PDA

View Full Version : Talks continue

mesaSteeler
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop

Monday, June 22, 2009
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
Talks continue

My sources tell me that the Steelers are continuing talks with some of their players who will be free agents at the conclusion of the 2009 season, most notably offensive tackle Max Starks and tight end Heath Miller.

The Steelers are hopeful their can get something done with both players by the first couple of weeks of August at the latest.

Miller is a high priority because the Steelers feel he is one of the best tight ends in the NFL and is continuing to improve.

The Steelers also believe Starks is a solid left tackle and will also continue to improve with more playing time on the left side. They'd also like to lower his cap total.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 4:12 PM 8 comments Links to this

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I just know they are gonna sign Starks to a long term deal. :doh:

mesaSteeler
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I just know they are gonna sign Starks to a long term deal. :doh:

Well if they are going to do it then let's hope they do it quickly so they can lower his cap number so we can sign Heath.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Well if they are going to do it then let's hope they do it quickly so they can lower his cap number so we can sign Heath.

I would rather they not extend Starks long term and then free up $8mil next season. There will be no cap next year and teams can use the franchise and transition tag.

I'd rather see the Steelers tag Miller than Starks, but since they have seemingly no heir at LT, they will be somewhat forced to try and sign Starks, or hope that Essex or Hills can play LT in a season(not likely)

Galax Steeler
06-23-2009, 03:58 AM
I just hope Heath is signed soon he is a big part of this offense. He seems to bail Ben out of trouble quite often when he is about to be sacked.

WeegiesWarriors
06-23-2009, 05:51 AM
No big money TE wins championships... see Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, and Jason Whitten. I believe it takes too much money from more important positions. You don't have to have the best TE in the league to win.

If they re-sign Miller, I hope it's to a reasonable contract. If not, I fear we'd sacrafice somebody like Santonio Holmes, or Lamar Woodley (eventually). I don't want to do that. We can't have them all can we?

The Definiti0n
06-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Cut Willie. Frank Summers. O-Line sucks. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
06-23-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm amazed and perplexed by the fact that the Steelers continually see merit and worth in Starks, yet the fans seem to think the FO is off their rocker concerning the kid.

Have they drafted an stud LT's lately?

Have the seriously looked at any FA LT's?

Do you guys REALLY think they don't know what they are doing?

The_WARDen
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm amazed and perplexed by the fact that the Steelers continually see merit and worth in Starks, yet the fans seem to think the FO is off their rocker concerning the kid.

In that regard? Yes! Course, I'm biased..I hate the whole Oline.

LVSteelersfan
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Starks is not that bad. And he is not that good either. Middle of the road and overpaid. Just a bit lazy at times. Perhaps he will be playing for a contract this year and up his game. If he and Kemo can get their act together this year, perhaps the running game can open some big holes for Willie on the left side. I don't think they can afford to let him go because there is no one in the wings to take over for him.

SteelMember
06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

I think they know they need a player at LT. Then again, I think they know they don't want an 8 million dollar player at LT.

They made their bed. Now they're just trying to ease the nightmare. :noidea:

tony hipchest
06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
They made their bed. Now they're just trying to ease the nightmare. :noidea:

exactly. i cant believe any steelerfan believes starks deserves or has earned top 5 lineman money in this league. hell the steelers dont even believe it or they woulda gotten him signed long term at top five money over a year ago. 31 teams who passed on him when he was initially tagged dont believe it either.

:noidea:

but if the thought police says not to point out the obvious, we better not point out the obvious.

Steel Head
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I
I'd rather see the Steelers tag Miller than Starks, but since they have seemingly no heir at LT, they will be somewhat forced to try and sign Starks, or hope that Essex or Hills can play LT in a season(not likely)

Why would they tag Miller? He still has a year left on his contract and then would become a RFA.

No need to screw around with Miller, just re-sign him

Starks is okay at LT but is overpaid

revefsreleets
06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Again, skipping over the veiled insults and other nonsense, I ask a simple question:

Why haven't the Steelers taken other steps if they are so weak at LT? There have been FA's available. They just went through two drafts with myriad LT's available, and they could have moved up. They've paid, what, 18 mil over the past two years (assuming Starks situation stays the same) for a bum at LT?

Have they lost their minds? Gone insane? Do the fans really know better?

It's fine to question their actions, but some of the speculation here is a little over-the-top. They've paid Starks ridiculous money, and they're trying to sign him to a long-term deal, but they know he sucks? Or, worse yet, they don't know he sucks, but the fans do?

Please enlighten me....

stillers4me
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
A 4 year deal is done for Straks....now let's get one done for Heeeeaaaaaaath!

Starks signs four-year deal
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

Sometimes in the NFL, both the player and the team get what they want from a contract negotiation. That applies perfectly to Max Starks and the Pittsburgh Steelers, because of the four-year contract signed by the team’s starting left tackle on Tuesday.

As this offseason began, the Steelers slapped the franchise tag on the unrestricted-free-agent-to-be Starks – one season after putting the transition tag on him – because they didn’t want to lose a player capable of starting at the critical left tackle spot.

That virtually assured Starks would spend the 2009 season with the Steelers, but at a salary cap figure of $8.45 million for the upcoming year it wasn’t necessarily the best arrangement for the team.

What the Steelers were seeking was a less onerous salary cap figure for 2009, and what Starks was seeking was some long-term security from the team that drafted him on the third round in 2004. The announcement of the four-year contract on June 23 accomplished all of that.

“I can finally take a sigh of relief,” said Starks, moments after signing the deal. “Everyone is probably happy the franchise tag is off of me. I am happy too. You get a big target on your back with that tag. I am happy we got a contract resolved going into the season. Hopefully it shows everyone I am happy to be here with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I wanted to go into training camp knowing where I am going to be, knowing what my future holds. Now I know this is my home and this is potentially the place I will be ending my career. Most people don’t have the opportunity to make it this far in an NFL career and I have been blessed to make it this far and be on a team where they foster the type of attitude to keep guys together so you have the cohesiveness that everyone looks for and it’s successful for us."

Starks, 27, broke into the starting lineup in 2005 at right tackle, and he started every game that season for the Steelers team that won Super Bowl XL. He was one of the players who made a key block on Willie Parker’s 75-yard touchdown run that still is the longest in Super Bowl history.

But once Bill Cowher resigned as coach after the 2006 season, Starks lost his starting job at right tackle to Willie Colon. During the 2007 training camp – Mike Tomlin’s first as the Steelers’ coach – Starks began the summer at right tackle but then was switched to the left side as a backup to Marvel Smith. That move allowed Colon to entrench himself at right tackle and Starks began the season as a backup.

He ended up starting four games in 2007 because of injuries – all at left tackle - before getting injured himself late in the season and ending up on the injured reserve list for the AFC Wild Card Game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

During the 2008 offseason, Starks appeared to be an example of a disagreement between the personnel department and the coaching staff, because even though he was slapped with the transition tag that guaranteed him a salary of $6.9 million he opened training camp, and then the regular season as well, as a backup.

The low point for Starks likely was the Oct. 5 game against the Jaguars in Jacksonville. There, Marvel Smith was injured and couldn’t continue, and the decision on the sideline was to replace Smith with Trai Essex at left tackle instead of Starks.

But Starks came back to start the remainder of the season at left tackle, plus all three postseason games, including the Super Bowl XLIII win over the Arizona Cardinals. And now he has the long-term security he was seeking all along, and the Steelers have a more manageable salary cap situation.

“We now have guys you know are going to be here and you can count on, the guys who are rocks on the line,” said Starks. “I am happy to hopefully be one of those rocks and not a pebble on that line.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/105896/

revefsreleets
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM
The sky is falling! The Steelers have gone mad! They should have listened to the FANS, man!

Good job, FO, now let's get a deal worked for Miller, get the last of our picks signed and get focused on winning another Super bowl!

steelreserve
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM

It's not a matter of Starks being incompetent. It's a matter of us continuously paying him way, way, WAY too much.

Starks is OK. He's a serviceable left tackle, but nothing more. We shouldn't be paying him the same as Randy Moss. Other tackles in this league will do the same job for about half the price.

So yes, I really do think they don't know what they're doing with Starks, regardless of how many times I'm bound to hear the inevitable "Well, you're not an NFL coach, so they must know a lot more than you."

No. They really screwed up the money part of it badly, which is something that happens all the time around the league. I don't see why it's so inconceivable that it would happen to the Steelers. It's not like we've never made a bad draft pick or given out a bad contract before.

revefsreleets
06-23-2009, 11:13 AM
It's not a matter of Starks being incompetent. It's a matter of us continuously paying him way, way, WAY too much.

Starks is OK. He's a serviceable left tackle, but nothing more. We shouldn't be paying him the same as Randy Moss. Other tackles in this league will do the same job for about half the price.

So yes, I really do think they don't know what they're doing with Starks, regardless of how many times I'm bound to hear the inevitable "Well, you're not an NFL coach, so they must know a lot more than you."

No. They really screwed up the money part of it badly, which is something that happens all the time around the league. I don't see why it's so inconceivable that it would happen to the Steelers. It's not like we've never made a bad draft pick or given out a bad contract before.

But they made this terrible mistake two years in a row?

I don't think so. I think they wanted Starks and they got him. If they WANTED a LT for half the money that could perform just as well, they would have FOUND a LT that could perform just as well for half the money. It's not like they haven't had 2 off-seasons to figure this out.

steelreserve
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Starks signs four-year deal
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

Sometimes in the NFL, both the player and the team get what they want from a contract negotiation. That applies perfectly to Max Starks and the Pittsburgh Steelers, because of the four-year contract signed by the teamís starting left tackle on Tuesday.

http://news.steelers.com/article/105896/

Well, this at least gives us a little financial relief, I think. Does it say anywhere how much we're actually paying him? I hope it's not $25.6 million.

fansince'76
06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Any terms of the deal available, besides it just being for 4 years? :noidea:

tony hipchest
06-23-2009, 11:18 AM
revs, problem is you would rather police thoughts than actually engage in a discussion. thats not nonsense or a veiled insult. that is an observation.

the steelers not trading up for an LT is not a vote of confidence for starks. that is nonsense.

it cost a 1st and 2nd rounder to move up 7 spots for s. holmes.

looking at the last 3 drafts what LT was worth trading one of these pairs for?

timmons & woodley
mendenhall & sweed
hood & urbick

i say none.

what the fans do know is that the steelers coaches benched starks the past 2 years because he couldnt win the starting job in camp. ignoring the fact that starks was a reserve tackle for the past 2 seasons is nonsense.

im not calling him a bum, but they paid him 9 mil last season and he didnt even start the 1st game.

if thats not enlightening, i dont know what is.

it was a good and smart move (but extremely costly). they hedged their bet and didnt get caught with their pants down (call it a high dollar insurance policy).

we won the superbowl, but lets not get carried away and try to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

steelreserve
06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
But they made this terrible mistake two years in a row?

I don't think so. I think they wanted Starks and they got him. If they WANTED a LT for half the money that could perform just as well, they would have FOUND a LT that could perform just as well for half the money. It's not like they haven't had 2 off-seasons to figure this out.

Yup. They made a mistake two years in a row because Starks basically had them over a barrel. They really couldn't figure out his true worth for two seasons, which also happens all the time. Again, I have no idea why this is so difficult for you to believe.

The new contract looks like it might make this a moot point, since the franchise tag for this season is now off the table. Seeing what they end up paying him will reveal a lot.

revefsreleets
06-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I just read all I need to know:

"The Steelers believe Starks will improve with more playing time".

That trumps ANY whiny nonsense the fans will post here.

steelreserve
06-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Good, I'll let you know when I see any.

X-Terminator
06-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Terms are 4 years, $26.3 million, includes $10 million signing bonus, per BSPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281262)

Steel Head
06-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Terms are 4 years, $26.3 million, includes $10 million signing bonus, per BSPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281262)

Does anyone know how much is guaranteed? A year to year breakdown would be cool to see. Seems like a good deal for both sides

I'm one of the biggest critics of the O-line but I think Starks is a decent Left Tackle so I have no problems with this signing

X-Terminator
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know how much is guaranteed? A year to year breakdown would be cool to see. Seems like a good deal for both sides

I'm one of the biggest critics of the O-line but I think Starks is a decent Left Tackle so I have no problems with this signing

The $10 million is guaranteed money, not a signing bonus - my bad on that.

Steel Head
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
The $10 million is guaranteed money, not a signing bonus - my bad on that.

No worries.

Now that is a great deal for the Steelers

lilyoder6
06-23-2009, 12:32 PM
well at least u know this person has some good sources.. has starks signed the 4 yr deal,.

hopefully heath is next..

what a busy busy offseason for the steelers FO

The_WARDen
06-23-2009, 12:38 PM

Note: The Steelers didn't specify how much he'd improve.

He'd have to improve alot to be a good LT.

-- whiny fan
:popcorn:

SteelMember
06-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Again, skipping over the veiled insults and other nonsense, I ask a simple question:

Why haven't the Steelers taken other steps if they are so weak at LT? There have been FA's available. They just went through two drafts with myriad LT's available, and they could have moved up. They've paid, what, 18 mil over the past two years (assuming Starks situation stays the same) for a bum at LT?

Have they lost their minds? Gone insane? Do the fans really know better?

It's fine to question their actions, but some of the speculation here is a little over-the-top. They've paid Starks ridiculous money, and they're trying to sign him to a long-term deal, but they know he sucks? Or, worse yet, they don't know he sucks, but the fans do?

Please enlighten me....

Veiled insults? Other nonsense? Whatever man.

I've looked between your posts, and I don't see that. People say he's overpaid. Do you disagree?

And why do you keep asking questions to "be enlightend"? You obviously don't care what other people have to say and just berate the posts they make anyway. If you get off your soapbox for a moment, maybe you'd see that.

I hope he wins a starting job, because he's not gonna get more time to improve by riding the bench...again.

revefsreleets
06-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Wah.

SteelMember
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Now how are we all going to be "more informed" if thats all your gonna give us?

Steel Head
06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Now how are we all going to be "more informed" if thats all your gonna give us?

:applaudit:

:toofunny:

revefsreleets
06-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Whoops.

"Wah"

< Whiny fans who think they know better than the FO >

There. Fixed it.