PDA

View Full Version : Starks is here for 4 years

mmalone
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Starks signs four-year deal
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

Sometimes in the NFL, both the player and the team get what they want from a contract negotiation. That applies perfectly to Max Starks and the Pittsburgh Steelers, because of the four-year contract signed by the team’s starting left tackle on Tuesday.

As this offseason began, the Steelers slapped the franchise tag on the unrestricted-free-agent-to-be Starks – one season after putting the transition tag on him – because they didn’t want to lose a player capable of starting at the critical left tackle spot.

That virtually assured Starks would spend the 2009 season with the Steelers, but at a salary cap figure of $8.45 million for the upcoming year it wasn’t necessarily the best arrangement for the team.

What the Steelers were seeking was a less onerous salary cap figure for 2009, and what Starks was seeking was some long-term security from the team that drafted him on the third round in 2004. The announcement of the four-year contract on June 23 accomplished all of that.

“I can finally take a sigh of relief,” said Starks, moments after signing the deal. “Everyone is probably happy the franchise tag is off of me. I am happy too. You get a big target on your back with that tag. I am happy we got a contract resolved going into the season. Hopefully it shows everyone I am happy to be here with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I wanted to go into training camp knowing where I am going to be, knowing what my future holds. Now I know this is my home and this is potentially the place I will be ending my career. Most people don’t have the opportunity to make it this far in an NFL career and I have been blessed to make it this far and be on a team where they foster the type of attitude to keep guys together so you have the cohesiveness that everyone looks for and it’s successful for us."

Starks, 27, broke into the starting lineup in 2005 at right tackle, and he started every game that season for the Steelers team that won Super Bowl XL. He was one of the players who made a key block on Willie Parker’s 75-yard touchdown run that still is the longest in Super Bowl history.

But once Bill Cowher resigned as coach after the 2006 season, Starks lost his starting job at right tackle to Willie Colon. During the 2007 training camp – Mike Tomlin’s first as the Steelers’ coach – Starks began the summer at right tackle but then was switched to the left side as a backup to Marvel Smith. That move allowed Colon to entrench himself at right tackle and Starks began the season as a backup.

He ended up starting four games in 2007 because of injuries – all at left tackle - before getting injured himself late in the season and ending up on the injured reserve list for the AFC Wild Card Game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

During the 2008 offseason, Starks appeared to be an example of a disagreement between the personnel department and the coaching staff, because even though he was slapped with the transition tag that guaranteed him a salary of $6.9 million he opened training camp, and then the regular season as well, as a backup.

The low point for Starks likely was the Oct. 5 game against the Jaguars in Jacksonville. There, Marvel Smith was injured and couldn’t continue, and the decision on the sideline was to replace Smith with Trai Essex at left tackle instead of Starks.

But Starks came back to start the remainder of the season at left tackle, plus all three postseason games, including the Super Bowl XLIII win over the Arizona Cardinals. And now he has the long-term security he was seeking all along, and the Steelers have a more manageable salary cap situation.

“We now have guys you know are going to be here and you can count on, the guys who are rocks on the line,” said Starks. “I am happy to hopefully be one of those rocks and not a pebble on that line.”

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I am looking for the breakdown on this contract...havent been able to find anything as of yet.

GBMelBlount
06-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Starks is here for 4 years

uh oh.

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I wonder if Tomlin sees something we don't. Hopefully this is going to be a beneficial deal on all sides.

steelreserve
06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I am looking for the breakdown on this contract...havent been able to find anything as of yet.

I'm only hoping to hear two words ....

"incentive-laden."

KeiselPower99
06-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Obviously its gonna have a smaller cap number then the 8. whatever he was due this year.

X-Terminator
06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Terms are 4 years, $26.3 million, includes $10 million signing bonus, per BSPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281262)

(mods, feel free to delete post in the other thread)

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
that doesnt sound too bad. maybe him being a back-up made him want to work harder at being a full time starter this season.

steelreserve
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Terms are 4 years, $26.3 million, includes $10 million signing bonus, per BSPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281262)

Ugh.

OX1947
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
10 Million is guaranteed. So I am assuming if he sucks after a couple of years, they can cut him or he takes a pay cut.

Best scenario, he protects the franchise from constant abuse, which he did pretty well when he came in last year. And with that, Big Ben doesn't get sacked every 5 plays and keeps bringin in Lombardi's...

fansince'76
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Well, at least it drops him out of the top-5 as far as pay goes. :chuckle:

wootawnee
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Colon must have been way in with Tomlin and Starks must have been way out......That is the way I saw it all along.......I think MT finally knows Starks is the man........I hope so.......He is the only lineman on both superbowl teams........

lilyoder6
06-23-2009, 12:27 PM
and guess what max did as soon as he got his contract???

he called ben.. hahaha
and i know this b/c i txted my brother to tell him the news "the one helping at the ben camp" and he said he found out when he was eating lunch with ben and max called.. lol

X-Terminator
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
BTW, just to clear something up - the $10 million is guaranteed money, not strictly a signing bonus.

The Definiti0n
06-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Im just hopin this opens up some cap room to re sign Heath Miller.

I almost forgot, Cut Willie. Frank Summers. O-Line sucks.

revefsreleets
06-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Again, this is what I take away from all this:

The Steelers also believe Starks is a solid left tackle and will also continue to improve with more playing time on the left side. They'd also like to lower his cap total.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 4:12 PM 8 comments Links to this

7willBheaven
06-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Glad its finally done, over a year and a half in the making! The Steelers are doing good at signing people this year, be it their own players or rookies....

Now onto HEEEEEEATH!!! And maybe even another player or two before the season starts (Clark/Kiesel?)

The_WARDen
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
YEAH!

thumper
06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
This will give us cap space. Strarks is not top shelf but he is serviceable and cab play either side. He was a starking OT on two super bowl winning teams. I am ok with this; it's better than franchising him every year.

GBMelBlount
06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Just curious if anyone knows the median & average pay for left tackles?....

Psyychoward86
06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
:applaudit:...................:rolleyes:

nicesteel4life
06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
It has it's goods and it's bads
Now lets get HEATH!!!!!!!!! taken care of.

benfan7
06-23-2009, 01:47 PM
It has it's goods and it's bads
Now lets get HEATH!!!!!!!!! taken care of.

yes! heath miller should be #1 on the steelers list of priorities! he is a top notch TE

Fire Haley
06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
ho ho ho

This thread should be good for a few months.

Steel Head
06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Willie Colon makes Starks look like Anthony Munoz

lol

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 01:59 PM
yes! heath miller should be #1 on the steelers list of priorities! he is a top notch TE
:iagree: heath has one more year left doesnt he? if not they better get him signed asap!

STEELAMANIA
06-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Why are so many of you hating on Starks? I remember his first game ever starting and he made Tennessee's Vanden-Bosch look pathetic the whole game. And his block on Willies 75 yd run in SB 40 was classic. I've always liked Starks better than Marvel Smith. Starks is the teams best OL.

STEELAMANIA
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Speaking of Heath Miller, the FO needs to resign him and get rid of Spaeth asap.

OneForTheToe
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok, somebody distract El-Gonzo while I peg him with this tranquillizer dart. We'll take him some place nice and quite to break the news to him.:wink02::wave:

Fire Haley
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Steelers signed LT Max Starks to a new four-year, $26.3 million contract. The deal includes $10 million in guarantees.

He'd been wearing an $8.451M franchise tag, so the deal saves $3M in cap room.

What's good for the cap is good for the Steelers.

Max might not be the best left tackle in the NFL, but he's not the worst either, by a long shot.

For a starting left tackle these days that's a very friendly deal for the capologists too - maybe even a little hometown discount.

OneForTheToe
06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Speaking of Heath Miller, the FO needs to resign him and get rid of Spaeth asap.

Don't understand why we would get rid of Spaeth. He is still under contract and I don't see a better back-up on the team.

Steel Mountain
06-23-2009, 03:35 PM
This will give us cap space. Strarks is not top shelf but he is serviceable and cab play either side. He was a starking OT on two super bowl winning teams. I am ok with this; it's better than franchising him every year.

Hooked on phonics and alcohol do not mix!
I am "starking" to believe this mystery "Strarks" might have something even though he appears to be a ....Cab Driver????

pancake
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Steelers signed LT Max Starks to a new four-year, $26.3 million contract. The deal includes $10 million in guarantees.

He'd been wearing an $8.451M franchise tag, so the deal saves $3M in cap room.

What's good for the cap is good for the Steelers.

Max might not be the best left tackle in the NFL, but he's not the worst either, by a long shot.

For a starting left tackle these days that's a very friendly deal for the capologists too - maybe even a little hometown discount.

I agree, this is good for both parties. I would like to see Miller and big snack extended also.

ricksteelers55
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Heath is not really a TOP priority.He is someone we cant afford to lose,but with next year being most probably an uncapped year,Miller will be a RFA,so we could retain his services for at least one more year,or let him walk with huge compensations.

Make no mistake about it,I want us to re-sign Heath,but if we cant or arent able to do so,it's not that bad.

I want us to put serious priorities on players like Clark and Reed too

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I am "starking" to believe this mystery "Strarks" might have something even though he appears to be a ....Cab Driver????
thank you for making me choke on my water...lol :rofl:

Rek
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Starks = overpriced, overhyped.

Texasteel
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM

As someone that will hit the wrong key from time to time I found it arrogant and irritating.

thumper
06-23-2009, 04:12 PM

Thank God the typo police got here just in time. I mean, those who find typos must be the smartest men on the planet (or have self esteem so low that they have to resort to being typo police to compensate for their limited skills.) :rofl:

mmalone
06-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Thank God the typo police got here just in time. I mean, those who find typos must be the smartest men on the planet (or have self esteem so low that they have to resort to being typo police to compensate for their limited skills.) :rofl:

seriously, who checks their own spelling at all on these blog postings..

i cant type and my grammar is horrible... is there a grammar cop out there...

im dead.....

mmalone
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM
heath is mr. clutch. of course we sign him.
mchugh and johnson can go...

thumper
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Starks = overpriced, overhyped.

Overhyped? I've never even seen him hyped. He was a 3rd round pick who barely cracked the starting line up, got benched and then played due to injuries. How is he overhyped? He played fairly well, IMO, down the stretch. Good enough to keep around at a decent price. It's good for all parties. He has rapport with the fellas. Chemistry matters.

Texasteel
06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Ok, somebody distract El-Gonzo while I peg him with this tranquillizer dart. We'll take him some place nice and quite to break the news to him.:wink02::wave:

Gonzo is resting quietly, right now.

Actually, I think he saw it coming, so did I. The Steelers probably panted themselves into a corner. They need him for LT since they have not been able to draft one. I love this years draft, but really wanted Britton.

thumper
06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
heath is mr. clutch. of course we sign him.
mchugh and johnson can go...

Heath is Mr Steelers, second only to Ben and Hines. He ain't going anywhere.

Steel Mountain
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM

My apologies! I guess spelling is just a little bad habit that I picked up in third grade.

Dino 6 Rings
06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
So the same Left Tackle that started both our SuperBowl winning teams....oh well, guess we got what we got and it is what it is.

Preacher
06-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Starks is an average left tackle making average LT money.

Right now, the going salary for a LT is 4 mill a year. That is about where Starks salary will be this year, maybe a little less plus signing bonus. As the average salary raises over the next four years, Starks salary will do the same... probably ending up just a bit over starting salary. Of course, that is with everything met.

All in all, it is another example of why our ownership is the best in the league.

I know many of you hate Starks. He isn't may favorite, but he is decent. Follow the logic. With LT and RG now filled up, and possible center taken care of, we can now worry about the RT, and LG if Kemo doesn't make it. Also, it gives us flexibility in next year's draft to pick BPA on the O line without having to fill holes.

Personally, for the money, I like the signing.

Preacher
06-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Overhyped? I've never even seen him hyped. He was a 3rd round pick who barely cracked the starting line up, got benched and then played due to injuries. How is he overhyped? He played fairly well, IMO, down the stretch. Good enough to keep around at a decent price. It's good for all parties. He has rapport with the fellas. Chemistry matters.

Thumper. Be careful, these types of circumspect and thoughtful posts will get you respected around here! :thumbsup:

Seriously, good post.

mmalone
06-23-2009, 05:22 PM

He'd been wearing an $8.451M franchise tag, so the deal saves $3M in cap room. .

I was thinking 4mil but 3mil is good. that should help with Hood, Urbik and Miller now. thank mr. starks.. good team play..

slashsteel
06-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Starks improved as a Left Tackle. Good signing and didn't break the bank. Works for me.

tony hipchest
06-23-2009, 06:17 PM

agree 100%. not only friendly for the steelers but for starks too. if he outperforms he will be free at a young age (31) to go seek a blockbuster deal like faneca.

i would say starks took into account all the money he was guaranteed last year. he took a relatively low signing bonus that can more easilly be spread out over the short course of the deal.

word on sirius today was that he would be stupid to accept less than the 8 mil per he was making (as per ross tucker and a. schein). hes taking 6.5 mil.

kirwan and ryan said he will catch grief from just about everyone, saying he accepted a bad deal and essentially signed for RT money. they both agreed the security is better than him taking his shot on the street after next season.

he had the steelers bent over a barrell but took into account how well they were gonna pay him last year and next, with the tags. alot of teams woulda paid him more if he waited it out.

msafford
06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm curious....with Bryant retiring as well, how much would that save us, as well as the Starks contract, in cap room?

Rek
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree, this is good for both parties. I would like to see Miller and big snack extended also.

Starks is notorious for being awful against better than average defenders.

devilsdancefloor
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM

wow! grow up man this isnt junior high!

Anyway back to topic starks is not a HoF LT,But he is good and as the year went on he got better. He seemed to be playing out of position on the right side. lets hope he continues to improve like he did towards the end of the season.:thumbsup::tt03:

Texasteel
06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
wow! grow up man this isnt junior high!

Anyway back to topic starks is not a HoF LT,But he is good and as the year went on he got better. He seemed to be playing out of position on the right side. lets hope he continues to improve like he did towards the end of the season.:thumbsup::tt03:

I thought that he might be just trying to be cute with the 1st post, but his second is just as arrogant.

LTs are very difficult to find, a good one anyway. If Starks can hold that position down for a couple more years that would give us more time to find one. Who knows, maybe Hill can be it.

Give It To Abercrombie
06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
4yrs at $26-28 million. Just a hunch. Am afraid he'll want more though.

Sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while...... :willy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281262&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

rick723
06-23-2009, 10:16 PM
I always liked Starks. Glad we got him locked up

Psyychoward86
06-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while...... :willy:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4281262&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

He dam well better play the way he's paid. He's still getting an awful lot of lettuce.

SteelersinCA
06-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I've never had a problem with Starks, if he's getting paid average LT money, then I am comfortable with him being an average LT.

wootawnee
06-24-2009, 12:34 AM

:rofl::rofl::thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL ......Dub Yoy

wootawnee
06-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Max is a Pillar for the team....great in the community.....and has great chemistry with the huddle......He is a finesse tackle......Smith was more power run game........Were going to open it up and put our foot to the floor soon.......Ben will be a fantasy stud.......

Aussie_steeler
06-24-2009, 01:45 AM
LTs are very difficult to find, a good one anyway. If Starks can hold that position down for a couple more years that would give us more time to find one. Who knows, maybe Hill can be it.

Hey Tex ... As soon as I saw that Starks had signed for four years the first thing that crossed my mind was that in the 2010 draft the BPA in the first round to the steelers will be a Left Tackle.

The Definiti0n
06-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Hey Tex ... As soon as I saw that Starks had signed for four years the first thing that crossed my mind was that in the 2010 draft the BPA in the first round to the steelers will be a Left Tackle.

LOL that would be crazy.

Galax Steeler
06-24-2009, 04:06 AM
I am glad to see this saga over. Hopefully since we have signed him to 4 years he will mature and start playing like a good left guard, and not some one just taking up a roster spot. I have to admit I was not a big Starks fan but since we signed him I hope he will do well for the team.

solardave
06-24-2009, 06:07 AM
I'm not a big Starks fan. I think he's to slow and not very agile.He gets beat by speed rushers to much. I'm thinking our improved running attack will slow that problem down.
Summers at full back with either Mendy, Willie or Moore behind him I like our chances.:tt03:

HometownGal
06-24-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm glad the tag is off of Max because of the cap hit and I hope he earns that plump signing bonus and his hefty salary by playing as he is quite capable of doing. I'd like to see Max succeed - only time will tell. :hope:

revefsreleets
06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry, but I still keep coming back to the same thing over and over here. How could the Steelers, one of the better teams in the league at being proactive and filling holes and projected future needs be so far off on this particular guy, and be so far off for not just one, but two seasons in a row?

The answer is simple and obvious. THEY LIKE MAX STARKS! He's their guy at LT. He's who they projected and planned on playing LT with Smith's departure. This is not a surprise or a stop-gap, this is the Steelers plan and they are sticking with it. No other team, no scout or assessor of talent in the league will be more in-tune with the capabilities or flaws of Max Starks. No other team can make a better or more accurate judgment concerning his skill set and his "fit" with the Steelers. No message board poster can make a more accurate assessment than the Steelers can.

The time to whine and moan about Max Starks is officially over. He IS our starting LT barring injury. Time to get on board with him and wish the kid the best.

vasteeler
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
good luck Max

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Just curious if anyone knows the median & average pay for left tackles?....

Not really, but if you look at similar deals done like Joe Staley of SF getting a 6 year $42mil deal with $18mil guaranteed, Or Vernon Carey getting $42mil over 6 years($15mil guaranteed), then Starks is in the similar ball park.

The fact that Starks is getting paid more like Joe Staley and not like Jordan Gross is more reasonable. The fact that he only has $10mil in guaranteed money also makes is more palatable if he doesnt perform well. IMO, the Steelers did a contract that was advantageous to them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Actually, I think he saw it coming, so did I. The Steelers probably panted themselves into a corner. They need him for LT since they have not been able to draft one. I love this years draft, but really wanted Britton.

Tex, I agree that I love this years draft. I think Britton would have played RT and allowed Colon to move into RG, but obviously that is not the plan. I'm not a big Starks fan, but like Preacher said.....he is an average LT making average LT money. Good move by the FO to free up some cap space.

steel9guy
06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I've always liked Starks. I think he's underated and will be a lot better this season.

Fire Haley
06-24-2009, 12:44 PM
ha ha

Ratbirds fans complaining...must be a good deal!

Stealers pull the wool over another players eyes

That's the Ravens problem, they look for intelligence in their players.

Either Starks needs a new agent or his head examined.

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=203965

Steel Head
06-24-2009, 12:46 PM
ha ha

Ratbirds fans complaining...

Ravens look for intelligence in their players?

LMAO that's a good one!

Their starting left tackle flunked out of college.

Not to mention Suggs and Gay Ray are dumb as rocks

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree with Florio. If Starks hits the open market, he probably gets a similar 6 year $42 million deal with $18mil guaranteed like Staley. If he hit the market in an uncapped year like next, then he would likely make more.

He gave up $8.45 million guaranteed, for $10million guaranteed on his deal. The Steelers did a deal that was advantageous to them....not Starks.

steelreserve
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
I do have to say that after my initial reaction of being mad that we're still overpaying the guy ... I guess overall the contract isn't a crushing burden and isn't as bad a deal as I'd feared. It's the best we were gonna get, so at least we can move on and not worry about that position for now.

steel9guy
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
just so the O line doesn't get as injured as they were last year. I think it'll be a lot better off.

tony hipchest
06-24-2009, 01:19 PM
he was interviewed last night with jim miller on sirius. i didnt hear it but heard some clips.

his main goal WAS staying a steeler and playing with the team that gave initially gave him his chance in this league.

(he really had no interrest in hitting the free agent market and cashing in on as much as he could.)

he said there is nothing like playing for the rooneys who treat their players exactly how they would treat their own family, and he has alot of friends he talks to who are envious and wish they could be a steeler.

i had him pegged as playing hardball and holding the team hostage but that eventually turned out to not be the case.

Steel Head
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Starks is actually a smart and cool dude (does a lot of charity stuff)

Exact opposite of Kemoeatu (who is really dumb)

GBMelBlount
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Not really, but if you look at similar deals done like Joe Staley of SF getting a 6 year $42mil deal with $18mil guaranteed, Or Vernon Carey getting $42mil over 6 years($15mil guaranteed), then Starks is in the similar ball park.

The fact that Starks is getting paid more like Joe Staley and not like Jordan Gross is more reasonable. The fact that he only has $10mil in guaranteed money also makes is more palatable if he doesnt perform well. IMO, the Steelers did a contract that was advantageous to them.

Putting things in perspective, I guess this isn't all that bad. First of all, our biggest problem is our O-line which should improve this year simply by virtue of staying intact. Urbik should be an upgrade and this put starks pay a little more in line and helps us with the cap.

Also, with Starks new contract, if his wife does divorce him and takes half of what he makes, then he WILL probably be worth what he is left with. :thumbsup:

As Revs said, it appears the FO really has faith in Starks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I have always heard rumor that Kemo isnt that bright, but does anybody have any evidence of this, or is it just speculation?

Anybody got a wonderlic score, failed basket weaving course transcript, photo of him pushing on a door labelled "PULL"??? I think the guy gets a bad rap.

tony hipchest
06-24-2009, 01:56 PM
i think its because he looks like an ogre.

OneForTheToe
06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Ravens look for intelligence in their players?

LMAO that's a good one!

Their starting left tackle flunked out of college.

Not to mention Suggs and Gay Ray are dumb as rocks

Stabey Stabey :smashy::smashy:

revefsreleets
06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
I think the scuttlebutt was that Kemo was talented enough to play, but was having trouble remembering his assignments and stuff.

Preacher
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
I have always heard rumor that Kemo isnt that bright, but does anybody have any evidence of this, or is it just speculation?

Anybody got a wonderlic score, failed basket weaving course transcript, photo of him pushing on a door labelled "PULL"??? I think the guy gets a bad rap.

Yep 7. That's right, he scored a 7 on wonderlic. However, people surmise the 7 was more a language issue (enlgish is his second language) than intelligence.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Kemoeatu,Chris-OG-Utah.htm

fansince'76
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
ha ha

Ratbirds fans complaining...must be a good deal!

The OP of that thread is an absolute douche.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Yep 7. That's right, he scored a 7 on wonderlic. However, people surmise the 7 was more a language issue (enlgish is his second language) than intelligence.

Thanks. Even the 14 he scored at the combine is pretty low. Football IQ is another thing, but it helps to be bright to play O line.

Hey, with Starks, Kemo and Urbik probably gonna be signed for the next 4 years.........maybe next season we can franchise tag Willie Colon. :sofunny:

Psyychoward86
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Wth???? Why was kemo ejected from two games???

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Wth???? Why was kemo ejected from two games???

I think he kicked some opposing players in games and had "anger management issues". Personally, I love that kind of anger in a lineman. :thumbsup:

LVSteelersfan
06-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Starks we have to live with. Now for 4 more years. I hope he takes it to heart and does his job. I think him and Kemo can get the running game moving to the left side if they get their act together. I am one of those people who thinks Kemo has great potential due to his road grader size. I just don't care at all for the right side of the line. Stapleton (could be replaced by Urbik) and Colon are a waste of roster space. I don't think Colon would do any better at guard than tackle. Just an opinion. I don't think the Steelers think he is guard material either or he would have been put there by now. And they probably wouldn't have drafted Urbik if they thought Colon was guard material.

revefsreleets
06-25-2009, 08:51 AM
He really got a 7?

That means he can't read. Seriously.

Steel Head
06-25-2009, 08:59 AM

no, it's not a rumor

i've met him before

HometownGal
06-25-2009, 09:05 AM

I think you nailed it, Tony. I've seen him up close at TC and he looks like Shrek with a deep suntan. :chuckle:

Looks can be very deceiving, as I've come across people in life who look as dumb as an acorn at first glance and have proven otherwise and vice versa. Working with lawyers for almost 25 years of my life, I can say I've run across more of the "vice versa" variety. :chuckle:

Steel Head
06-25-2009, 09:05 AM
I think he kicked some opposing players in games and had "anger management issues". Personally, I love that kind of anger in a lineman. :thumbsup:

yeah, he kicked some guy in the head lol

wootawnee
06-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Starks is actually a smart and cool dude (does a lot of charity stuff)

You got lot to learn Brudda......Maybe you da one dat is dumb........

Men of Steel
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
im a firm believer in max starks. this shows the confidence mike tomlin and the coaching staff... the rooneys for that matter... have in this guy. i dont doubt he will be a solid player for us over the next four yrs. you can say what u want about his "inconsistency" (did i spell that right?)... if i can recall the only two seasons he WAS a full time starter for the black & gold... were the two seasons we WON THE SUPERBOWL.

and if anyone out there thinks that he isnt a good fit... that he doesnt belong.. or that u know more than mike tomlin and the coaching staff.... i do say "wheres the faith man!" HAHA :tt02:

steelreserve
06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
and if anyone out there thinks that he isnt a good fit... that he doesnt belong.. or that u know more than mike tomlin and the coaching staff.... i do say "wheres the faith man!" HAHA :tt02:

I don't think many people think that Starks sucks. It was more like he was OK but not worth even close to what we were paying him. Now that they've got the salary issue at least tolerably under control, I'm somewhat optimistic to see what he can do for us.

Men of Steel
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't think many people think that Starks sucks. It was more like he was OK but not worth even close to what we were paying him. Now that they've got the salary issue at least tolerably under control, I'm somewhat optimistic to see what he can do for us.

ud be surprised how many starks haters are out there given all the threads ive read before.... :coffee: but i agree completely with u. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
06-25-2009, 03:12 PM
i just hope he doesn't start showing up at camp at 400 lbs .. i kinda feel about the same as when they gave simmons his new contract. i always thought the idea was to keep looking to improve with the best players you can find. oh well max it is....go max...

revefsreleets
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Starks has always been pretty lean for a dude that big. I know there were some grumblings that he was out of shape one year, but that's the only instance I've ever heard of.

Steely McSmash
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
My 2 cents:

Looks like a real good deal for the Steelers.

Nice to see Max has his priorities straight. I'm sure he could have gotten a nice deal next year but why would you want to play for anybody else?

As far as cap goes, depends on his base salary and how much of the guaranteed money is signing bonus and 1st year money. He could be freeing up close to 5 mil.

( 8 mil signing bonus over 4 years, 2 mil in later year roster/ workout bonuses, Base for 2009 of 2.8 Mil increasing roughly 20% per year)

If one of the young guys show talent to be an upgrade down the road, this is a fairly easy contract to trade I'd say. Not that the Rooney's tend to do that kind of thing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-25-2009, 11:46 PM
ud be surprised how many starks haters are out there given all the threads ive read before.... :coffee: but i agree completely with u. :chuckle:

I am not exactly a "hater", but the knock on Starks coming out of college was he doesnt always play hard or consistently work. He has been in the NFL for 5 seasons and still has a poor kick slide, needs work on his hand placement and appears to take plays off.

The exact comment in his draft year was "looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane". I still dont think he has developed to where a 5 year pro should and can only hope he gets better. Conversely, Willie Colon out worked him for a job in his 2nd year.

If only Starks could adopt the intensity and work ethic of Colon....he would be a Pro Bowler.

Men of Steel
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
If only Starks could adopt the intensity and work ethic of Colon....he would be a Pro Bowler.

amen to that..! just have to wait n see... :hmmph: