PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Tag Now Open for Parker

Preacher
06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
:rofl:

It's true! The tag IS now open.

How many of you wanna bet Wille gets tagged?

"Throw another log on the Willie Parker Fire"

slashsteel
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't see it happening. & hopefully the tag stays shelved for a while.

steelreserve
06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
You just posted this to see if I'd ask them for a new smiley to describe it:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/SmileySuicide.gif

pancake
06-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Not a chance...

Texasteel
06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Why would we want to do that, just to back up Frank Summers?:grin:

RJC
06-23-2009, 07:20 PM
:rofl:

It's true! The tag IS now open.

How many of you wanna bet Wille gets tagged?

"Throw another log on the Willie Parker Fire"

If RM averages a 4.0 YPC there isn't a snow ball's chance in hell Parker gets tagged....

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 07:21 PM
i bet he could be tagged. he has had injuries.

tony hipchest
06-23-2009, 07:25 PM
if anyone, the franchise tag will be used on jeff reed and it will be money well spent.

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
if anyone, the franchise tag will be used on jeff reed and it will be money well spent.
maybe jeff could use the money and do something with his hair..lol :chuckle:

OneForTheToe
06-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Too expensive. I'm not a Willie basher by any means, but running back is not a good position to franchise. Besides the high salaries, it is one of the easiest positions to fill. I'm not saying Willie would be easy to replace but the reality is, you can replace a Pro Bowl running back with a young player just drafted or with a running back by committee if you have the young horses. It has been done before.

We could use two tags next year. I'd say the most likely candidates are big snack and Ryan Clark (although that would be a lot of money for two safeties).

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
oh yeah another reason to tag parker... he went to UNC.. and i hate UNC...lol

msafford
06-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Why woulde we tag Parker or Reed when they both have a year left on their contracts?

Preacher
06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
:chuckle:

Sure is funny how tongue in cheek posts can be taken so seriously.

The Duke
06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd love to have willie back!! I'd hate to see the tag used on a runningback though....

If RM averages a 4.0 YPC there isn't a snow ball's chance in hell Parker gets tagged....

but what if he only has a 4.0 avg because he has 4 long runs and the rest are 2, 1, -2,-1,- 2 yards runs? :chuckle:

YES!! use the tag on reed

tony hipchest
06-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Why woulde we tag Parker or Reed when they both have a year left on their contracts?the time to place a tag on the 09 season has passed. next season clark, reed, miller and even willie are free agents and all viable options (not so much willie).

Texasteel
06-23-2009, 08:22 PM

MACH1 still thinks thats a Texas side dish.

msafford
06-23-2009, 08:22 PM

I'm getting married in a week and a half....I have absolutely no sense of humor at the moment. :flap:

OneForTheToe
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
the time to place a tag on the 09 season has passed. next season clark, reed, miller and even willie are free agents and all viable options (not so much willie).

I forgot about Reed. I don't think we will have to tag Miller, because without a CBA, he should be a RFA next season.

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm getting married in a week and a half....I have absolutely no sense of humor at the moment. :flap:
congrats.. and totally understandable then :wink02:

Steel Head
06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Casey Hampton would be most likely to get franchised next year, not Parker

arge5809
06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Parker is too injury prone to get the Franchise tag. It should be used on someone more reliable. Like Miller.

The Definiti0n
06-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Why would we want to do that, just to back up Frank Summers?:grin:

THERE IT IS!!!!!!

devilsdancefloor
06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/new_babysafe_ball_makes_shaking

Puts preacher in one of these and starts shaking!

Steel-Bryan
06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
It gets me soo mad how everyone acts like willie parker hasn't done anything for the steelers, and it almost seems like everyone is counting down the days for him to leave. He had ONE bad season, come on, chill.

Texasteel
06-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Parker has been a very pleasant surprise, and has done an excellent job for us. He will probably get a big payday next year. I just don't think it will be here.

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2009, 10:43 PM

Funny Part is I didn't get to see his crazy hair style when I met him.

TackleMeBen
06-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Funny Part is I didn't get to see his crazy hair style when I met him.
maybe he was trying to be incognito :chuckle:

Psyychoward86
06-23-2009, 11:36 PM
It gets me soo mad how everyone acts like willie parker hasn't done anything for the steelers, and it almost seems like everyone is counting down the days for him to leave. He had ONE bad season, come on, chill.

Im right with you. What's up with the level of impatience? Ok, well a couple of you like steelersreserve have hated Willie Parker since his friggin Mom popped him out, but i didnt know lovers could turn into haters so quickly. I dont think anybody can be so sure that Willie is injury prone either. When he almost took the rushing crown in '07, but got hurt, what happened, happened. '08 was one rough schedule. Our defense was the only thing that truly, truly thrived, along with Big Ben's 4th quarter antics. Sure, he's one to pad his stats against easy opponents, not the stronger ones, but you can't deny what he is capable of and how serviceable he can still be for us. Give him one more season before making quick decisions :wink:

Shoes
06-23-2009, 11:52 PM

......or maybe buy a paper towel dispenser :chuckle:

TackleMeBen
06-24-2009, 12:10 AM
think parker is a good rb. but i dont like him bc he went to UNC.. sorry.

X-Terminator
06-24-2009, 12:45 AM

Im right with you. What's up with the level of impatience? Ok, well a couple of you like steelersreserve have hated Willie Parker since his friggin Mom popped him out, but i didnt know lovers could turn into haters so quickly. I dont think anybody can be so sure that Willie is injury prone either. When he almost took the rushing crown in '07, but got hurt, what happened, happened. '08 was one rough schedule. Our defense was the only thing that truly, truly thrived, along with Big Ben's 4th quarter antics. Sure, he's one to pad his stats against easy opponents, not the stronger ones, but you can't deny what he is capable of and how serviceable he can still be for us. Give him one more season before making quick decisions :wink:

Again, it has absolutely nothing to do with liking or hating Parker. It has everything to do with the reality of the situation. One, he'll be 30 years old and that's the age most RBs start to break down. Two, the Steelers did not draft Rashard Mendenhall 1st overall to have him sit on the bench for 5 years. Third, the Steelers have several important players that they will need to give significant extensions to - Miller, Reed, Hampton and Clark this year, Holmes next year. Where's the money for Parker going to come from? Add it all up, and you get Parker wearing another uniform next season. And this is coming from someone who has tirelessly defended him against the haters here in the past.

tony hipchest
06-24-2009, 12:56 AM
im still trying to figure out where the money for hampton, clark and holmes will come from, let alone willie (im pretty sure reed and miller will stay).

we also have woodley to think about (who is easilly playing himself into a 6-7 mil/year contract). if w. gay blows up we can kiss him goodbye, and we still have mahan and colon to consider.

great thing is, the steelers do a great job of drafting and teaching, and will not let the players run their business. players like gay should be easilly replaced by lewis and burnett, just like colclough and mcfadden were.

Galax Steeler
06-24-2009, 04:54 AM
I am not saying I hate Willie but I don't see him in Black and Gold and the tag will not be used on him.

solardave
06-24-2009, 07:17 AM
At this point in his career I think Moore is more valuable. If Mendenhall comes back and lives up to expectations that is another factor. Not to mention Summers.Although I think they convince Summers to play fullback and go back to smash mouth. Then Ben airs it out to Holmes and Sweed,while Hines just does what he does.:tt02:

HometownGal
06-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Nah . . . . I just don't see this happening. I wouldn't rule it out 100%, though, as stranger things have happened.

mulldog24
06-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Parker is a Steeler and a guy with great character who I would like to see retire a steeler,but with so many guys to resign and with the Mendenhall pick I wouldn't think that they would franchise him. Maybe if he signs on the slightly cheap side yeah,but likely not franchised.

steel9guy
06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I think Willie Parker is a cool person and all but I've always said right running back, wrong team. I don't like the way he fits in the Arains system. He worked a lot better with Wisenhunt's system. but if he's going to return the Steelers desperatley need to use a fullback more often. use Frank Summers as the fullback.

revefsreleets
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
If Parker gets franchised, several heads of people who post on this board will, quite literally, explode.

It'll be fun to read the posts if it ever happens, though...it will bring new meaning to the words "mayhem ensues"!

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Next year NFL teams will be able to use both the transition and franchise tag at the same time. I would love to see Willie get tagged, just to see some of the head explosion that Revs eluded to.

Another year of FWP to help the transition to Mendenhall could pave the way for a future backfield of Mendenhall as the starter, Summers as the backup and change of pace back, Stephan Logan as the 3rd down RB and kick returner. Wouldnt that be a dynamic backfield in 2011??

Rek
06-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't even feel like getting involved in this thread. Everyone knows how I feel (same way with steelreserve) so there is no reason to repeat myself.

revefsreleets
06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't even feel like getting involved in this thread. Everyone knows how I feel (same way with steelreserve) so there is no reason to repeat myself.

I'm guessing you'd be in the camp of...

http://www.filmtotaal.nl/images/wallpapers/full/scanners/scanners1_1600.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Tag the Long Snapper

thumper
06-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Parker is not a top 5 back; a tag makes no sense. Only if RM fails totally would they consider that. Every back listed below is a better running back than FWP at this point. Why would you tag a dude when 20+ backs are better?

1 Adrian Peterson 1,760 4.8
2 Michael Turner 1,699 4.5
3 DeAngelo Williams 1,515 5.5
4 Clinton Portis 1,487 4.3
5 Thomas Jones 1,312 4.5
6 Steve Slaton HOU 1,282 4.8
7 Matt Forte 1,238 3.9
8 Chris Johnson 1,228 4.9
9 Ryan Grant 1,203 3.9
10 LaDainian Tomlinson 1,110 3.8
11 Brandon Jacobs 1,089 5.0
12 Steven Jackson 1,042 4.1
13 Frank Gore 1,036 4.3
Marshawn Lynch 1,036 4.1
15 Derrick Ward 1,025 5.6
17 Kevin Smith 976 4.1
18 Brian Westbrook 936 4.0
19 Ronnie Brown 916 4.3
21 Marion Barber 885 3.7
22 Larry Johnson 874 4.5
25 Maurice Jones-Drew 824 4.2

26 Willie Parker 791 3.8

Dino 6 Rings
06-24-2009, 05:57 PM
We'll see after this season if Wille gets over 1300 yards, they'll tag him.

devilsdancefloor
06-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I still think willie will be here BUT take a discount to stay ..

thumper
06-24-2009, 06:00 PM
We'll see after this season if Wille gets over 1300 yards, they'll tag him.

It depends on how many carries he needs to get there. A 3.8 aypc won't cut it. Running the wheels off FWP but ending up in 3rd and 8 doesn't cut it

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 06:19 PM
This is my new dream.......Franchise Willie Parker!!! :banana:

I'm still dreaming that they cut Carey Davis before camp starts.

LVSteelersfan
06-25-2009, 02:14 AM
No way Parker gets the tag. He will be insignificant this year as Mendenhall takes over. I am also hoping Moore gets used more. Once Willie came back last year, Moore was forgotten on the bench while Willie was dropped behind the line for no yards over and over and over. Sorry, that does not get you a franchise tag. Willie is on the way out.

Preacher
06-25-2009, 04:45 AM
Parker is not a top 5 back; a tag makes no sense. Only if RM fails totally would they consider that. Every back listed below is a better running back than FWP at this point. Why would you tag a dude when 20+ backs are better?

1 Adrian Peterson 1,760 4.8
2 Michael Turner 1,699 4.5
3 DeAngelo Williams 1,515 5.5
4 Clinton Portis 1,487 4.3
5 Thomas Jones 1,312 4.5
6 Steve Slaton HOU 1,282 4.8
7 Matt Forte 1,238 3.9
8 Chris Johnson 1,228 4.9
9 Ryan Grant 1,203 3.9
10 LaDainian Tomlinson 1,110 3.8
11 Brandon Jacobs 1,089 5.0
12 Steven Jackson 1,042 4.1
13 Frank Gore 1,036 4.3
Marshawn Lynch 1,036 4.1
15 Derrick Ward 1,025 5.6
17 Kevin Smith 976 4.1
18 Brian Westbrook 936 4.0
19 Ronnie Brown 916 4.3
21 Marion Barber 885 3.7
22 Larry Johnson 874 4.5
25 Maurice Jones-Drew 824 4.2

26 Willie Parker 791 3.8

Interesting how you pick the stat of the year that Willie was injured for most of...

Preacher
06-25-2009, 04:48 AM
No way Parker gets the tag. He will be insignificant this year as Mendenhall takes over. I am also hoping Moore gets used more. Once Willie came back last year, Moore was forgotten on the bench while Willie was dropped behind the line for no yards over and over and over. Sorry, that does not get you a franchise tag. Willie is on the way out.

1. Mendenhall hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. WHen he did play, he wasn't that impressive. The coaches were upset with him last summer because he wasn't hitting the hole at training camp.

So this idea that Mendy is going come and sweep everyone away and take over the number one position is quite silly. Next year, or the year after, sure. But not this year.

2. Seems to me most of our backs were dropped behind hte line over and over and over and over.

3. The only "reason" Willie would be on the way out would be salary cap.

thumper
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Interesting how you pick the stat of the year that Willie was injured for most of...

When he was hurt he didn't play. When he did play, he on averaged 3.8 ypc. That's not cutting it. That puts him out of the top 20 backs in the NFL. You can make a case for that not being all his fault, but bottom line, he isn't a quality back who deserves a franchise tag. Willie lacks vision and instincts. If there isn't an obvious hole to run to he can't make anything happen. And with this OL, it makes for a bad combination. Mendy will have better luck as he does possess some vision and instincts and can cut on a dime. You will see.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
When he was hurt he didn't play. When he did play, he on averaged 3.8 ypc. That's not cutting it. That puts him out of the top 20 backs in the NFL. You can make a case for that not being all his fault, but bottom line, he isn't a quality back who deserves a franchise tag. Willie lacks vision and instincts. If there isn't an obvious hole to run to he can't make anything happen. And with this OL, it makes for a bad combination. Mendy will have better luck as he does possess some vision and instincts and can cut on a dime. You will see.

No running back can make things happen without a hole to run through.

Guess what, Jerome Bettis got stuffed behind the line at times. He didn't move the pile four yards every time.

And when Willie did play, he wasn't 100%. He wasn't 100% much longer than after we whomped the Texans. He played hurt. He played with his knee injury, he played with his shoulder injury.

Some people on this message board need come to grips with the fact that Jerome Bettis has retired. People try to compare the two, when it's impossible.

I am a Parker fan, I appreciate what he brings to the table. I love the power running game, don't get me wrong. But to say Parker isn't a quality running back because he doesn't do the same things Bettis did is just retarded.

Dino 6 Rings
06-25-2009, 01:33 PM

All I've seen from Mendy so far is his College highlights taking the ball from a Shotgun QB spread style offense, then breaking his shoulder when it was time to play big boy ball.

Sorry, but til he shows me he's the Stud I need him to be as our RB, I'll stick with Willie and his very good running ability.

LVSteelersfan
06-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I actually love Parker's speed and don't honestly think that Mendenhall is the savior. He might be, but that remains to be seen. I just hate that we cannot run a decent screen play with Parker in the backfield. He has hands of stone for catching the ball. It is too easy to gameplan for a one dimensional back. Part of the problem may be that the Oline is so bad, but I don't think Parker sets up the screens very well and when he does, he seems to take his eye off the ball and drops it. I wish Parker well, but I don't see him being a franchised player. RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, so franchising one is just plain stupid. Take the hometown discount to stay in Pittsburgh or don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. You can go join Farrior in Detroit or coach Whis in Arizona.

mmalone
06-25-2009, 02:14 PM
All I've seen from Mendy so far is his College highlights taking the ball from a Shotgun QB spread style offense, then breaking his shoulder when it was time to play big boy ball.

Sorry, but til he shows me he's the Stud I need him to be as our RB, I'll stick with Willie and his very good running ability.

One lone Back Formation:

One Back - i go with Moore for the hands and the ability to read and catch in the counter blitz plays. Break off the blitzing D and catch in front of the coverage.

One Back - Sweep, either way Moore or Parker can go it.

Two Back Set - i go with Willie and a Summers or Davis as Fullback to strech and pause the D line or make the holes and have Parker find the hole. Parker is great at this.

I dont like: Parker alone getting slammed all alone. it broke him and mendy last year. mendy of course worse. let a summers or davis to that job.

Rek
06-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Old Willie is quite popular on this board.

wezx
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM

I'm less concerned with Reed's hair and more concerned that he stops taking pictures of his junk and posting it on the internet! :laughing: