PDA

View Full Version : Legursky a rookie no more

mesaSteeler
06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Legursky a rookie no more
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1227378169/Legursky-a-rookie-no-more
Howie McCormick/The Herald-Dispatch

Former Herd center, Doug Legursky, a 2008 NFL Draft hopeful, does 10 reps of arm curls during a rigorous push-pull workout routine as he gets ready for his March pro day, Friday, February 22, 2008, at the HIT Center, as assistant facility director Dan Pickens observes.
Purchase this photo

June 24, 2009 @ 09:56 PM

2009/The Herald-Dispatch

Herald-Dispatch.com

HUNTINGTON — With a knowing smile, Doug Legursky appreciates uncertainties of his young teammates.

One year ago, the former Marshall University standout was a rookie offensive lineman with the Pittsburgh Steelers. As an undrafted free agent, his status rated unsteady at best.

Legursky eventually earned a roster spot on the practice squad, looking on while the Steelers won a record sixth Super Bowl. He’s listed on the preseason roster, and admits June 2009 contrasts ’08.

“It’s a world of difference with all of the experience on the field last year,” Legursky said. “This year I know all the calls and I know what’s expected of me.

“During the first couple of OTAs (organized team activities), seeing the rookies in the huddle and seeing the looks on their faces, it was kind of funny because I had the same look on my face last year.”

A month of OTAs is complete, leading to the start of two-a-day practices July 31. Legursky’s taking full advantage of down time. He went fishing Wednesday afternoon with his mother, Lorrie.

Still, football remains on the brain. The four-year Thundering Herd starter is again progressing sooner than later at the next level.

“Going in this year, I knew so much more,” he said. “I surprised myself because even last year I knew what the defense was bringing and where the blitzes were coming from. But I think I’ve made a nice jump.”

Born in Frankfurt, Germany, as the son of Wayne Legursky, a member of the 82nd Airborne, Legursky signed with Marshall from Woodrow Wilson High School in Beckley. He earned considerable playing time as a true freshman, splitting time at center and guard.

His versatility will continue with the Steelers.

“I’m willing to take any role,” Legursky said. “I can play center, left guard, right guard. We have veterans at all of those spots who know what they’re doing and have played a lot of games.

“Everybody’s fighting for a position, and everybody wants to be a starter. But it’s fine if I play special teams and fill a solid back role.”

Does that mean the 6-foot-1, 323-pound lineman will be sprinting downfield on kickoff coverage?

“Maybe I could see myself doing that, but I don’t think anybody else could,” he said with a laugh.

Although Legursky didn’t dress for the game, he was all business during Super Bowl week earlier this year. In one of the more dramatic NFL title games, Pittsburgh edged Arizona, 27-23.

“It was a great experience being part of what may be the greatest game in sports,” Legursky said. “Every sport has its big event, but the Super Bowl seems so much bigger. I may be biased but I think it’s the biggest game in sports.

“The whole city is Super Bowl-oriented. But it was also bitter-sweet, because I was on the practice squad.”

Pittsburgh ranks among the early favorites to contend for a spot at Super Bowl XLIIII. Regardless, Legursky welcomes a more tangible impact in 2009-10.

“Hopefully we’ll be back and I’ll be playing,” he said.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-24-2009, 11:22 PM
I give full credit for LLT for pimping Legursky before the 2008 draft. He had good workout numbers, solid experience, sounds like a gym rat and 6'1" 323 is enough size to play C in this system.

I hope he can become an UDFA and have a solid 10 year career in the NFL. The kid was even trying to long snap last season to improve his value to the team.

Galax Steeler
06-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Sounds like he has alot of heart and wants to be a starter in the nfl.

GBMelBlount
06-25-2009, 06:15 AM
I hope he can become an UDFA and have a solid 10 year career in the NFL. The kid was even trying to long snap last season to improve his value to the team.

I love these long shots that make it through sheer hard work, determination and simply never giving up. :tt03:

mulldog24
06-25-2009, 06:43 AM
He sounds like a guy with solid work ethic and character, I hope he makes the 53 man roster.

Dino 6 Rings
06-25-2009, 09:36 AM
wait a second...I thought we were totally ignoring our Oline of the future?

WTF?

HometownGal
06-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Good read. :thumbsup:

I'd really like to see this kid make it in the NFL, whether as a Pittsburgh Steeler or with another team. He appears to have a ton of versatility, character and gut.

Psyychoward86
06-25-2009, 06:50 PM
It's that kind of attitude that you look for when you're minin' for diamonds in the rough. Keep on keeping on Legursky, and let the doubters doubt.

Texasteel
06-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Good read. :thumbsup:

I'd really like to see this kid make it in the NFL, whether as a Pittsburgh Steeler or with another team. He appears to have a ton of versatility, character and gut.

I liked this kid last year, and thought he would help us as soon as he got a little experience. I think he may also keep Shipley off this team.

Gonzo is right, LLT is the one that found this kid and pushed him hard in that years draft.

Steeler in Carolina
06-25-2009, 07:47 PM
I hope he makes it with the Steelers being from my school Marshall.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-26-2009, 12:41 AM
wait a second...I thought we were totally ignoring our Oline of the future?

WTF?

Yeah, he is still a long shot, but I hope he pans out kind of like Hank Fraley did. Not great, but a serviceable pro for a long time. I think if we can find a center for after Hartwig leaves, then he, Urbik, Colon, hopefully Hills .....can be a good young group of linemen.

I am hoping that Starks and Kemo continue to improve, but am not holding my breath.

Galax Steeler
06-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah, he is still a long shot, but I hope he pans out kind of like Hank Fraley did. Not great, but a serviceable pro for a long time. I think if we can find a center for after Hartwig leaves, then he, Urbik, Colon, hopefully Hills .....can be a good young group of linemen.

I am hoping that Starks and Kemo continue to improve, but am not holding my breath.

How much longer do you think we will keep Hartwig before we replace him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-26-2009, 11:18 AM
How much longer do you think we will keep Hartwig before we replace him.

This is the final year of his contract. The fact that the Steelers hinted they were looking at Mack and Wood seems to indicate that if drafted, either of them would be the starter next season.

With no real heir in place yet, it means they may choose to extend Hartwig further....but if either Legursky, Stapleton or Shipley show they can handle starting at C in the NFL, this is probably his last season in the B&G.

Steely McSmash
06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
This is the final year of his contract. The fact that the Steelers hinted they were looking at Mack and Wood seems to indicate that if drafted, either of them would be the starter next season.

With no real heir in place yet, it means they may choose to extend Hartwig further....but if either Legursky, Stapleton or Shipley show they can handle starting at C in the NFL, this is probably his last season in the B&G.

Or Urbik even if he's able to convert.

Texasteel
06-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Or Urbik even if he's able to convert.

I don't think they are having any thought along those lines. Urbik was drafted to hopefully start at RG at some point this season.

Galax Steeler
06-27-2009, 07:57 AM

I would like to see Shipley make it in the nfl. I just hope he can come in and make a starter at center.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-27-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't think they are having any thought along those lines. Urbik was drafted to hopefully start at RG at some point this season.

I think you are right Tex. Urbik is gonna compete at RG, but he has also played some RT in college and will take snaps at center. Since most NFL teams only dress 2 spare linemen on gameday, Urbik could make himself more valuable if he can play 4 positions in a pinch.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I give full credit for LLT for pimping Legursky before the 2008 draft.

Original Posted By Texasteel
Gonzo is right, LLT is the one that found this kid and pushed him hard in that years draft.

See...you all just have to be patient with my guys. Any time now I fully expect us to sign OLB Quentin Moses to a 4 year contract.
(I'll never live that one down:chuckle:)

The thing that I liked about Legursky, was his lower body strength . His thighs are as big as my waist. Once he plants himself, he plays with VERY good strength and leverage.

devilsdancefloor
06-27-2009, 02:39 PM
i think this camp is gonna be interesting for the OL for sure! there are some really good guys that play with heart and determination!

KeiselPower99
06-28-2009, 12:52 AM
I watched him at Marshall for 4 years and he has the tools needed to be the next Steeler center. I hope he makes it for alot of reasons. Go Legursky!!!!!!

Jooser
06-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I live about 15 miles down the road from Marshall U., so of course I follow the Herd closely. Legursky is not only full of heart and hard work, he's got alot of talent as well. You just don't walk on to Div I school as a freshman and start playing right away unless you've got something special, as he obviously does. He's a big body and is extremely strong, his only knock was his lack of mobility at times, which could hamper him in a guard role. I'm a big fan of him from way back in his college days, I hope he can find a spot on the squad somewhere. :tt02: