PDA

View Full Version : Shaq to the Cavs!

revefsreleets
06-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Done deal, and barely cost the Cavs anything at all.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlxaY.DyDX2eH6kf_DYGwZY5nYcB?slug=aw-shaqlebron062509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

TackleMeBen
06-25-2009, 08:57 AM
this deal may have put the cavs into the finals next year. it looks like they are trying the win right now theory.

its a smart move on their part, since shaq only had one more year left on his contract and it probably freed up money for the cavs to go after bosch, or some of the other free agents that will be avaliable next year.

revefsreleets
06-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Shaq hates Howard as well, and will bring his A game (what's left of it, although he played well last year) against both him and Kobe.

Gotta think this makes the Cavs the favorites for the title next year...

TackleMeBen
06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Shaq hates Howard as well, and will bring his A game (what's left of it, although he played well last year) against both him and Kobe.

Gotta think this makes the Cavs the favorites for the title next year...
i think you could be right on this making the cavs the favorites for next year. unfortunely my pistons arent looking so well anymore.

i heard this morning that someone said they would still pick the celtics as the #1 team in the east if KG comes back healthy.

revefsreleets
06-25-2009, 09:18 AM
I don't know about that...the Cavs are only going to lose Ben Wallace and probably Andy Varejao. The only weakness they had was a lack of a big Man. The got that in spades...

They also have the juice to move up in the draft today, as they have the cash and our in the position to do so. There are 4-5 teams that would probably be interested in their offer, too...

This is a team that potentially could get a LOT better in just one day.

TackleMeBen
06-25-2009, 09:26 AM
i heard that wallace say that he may retire after next season.

i personally think the cavs will be the team to beat in the east, even if KG comes back healthy to celtics. the celtics are rumored to try and get rid of rondo and allen. i know the pistons are interested in those two.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-25-2009, 10:08 AM
This is awesome!

Shaq wants one more ring, and he knows his best chance for that is to play in Cleveland with LBJ.

Cavs should be the favorites, even though people will be picking the Celtics due to a healthy KG.

TackleMeBen
06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
i would have to say the top three teams in the east this coming season are
1. Cavs
2. Celtics(depending on the health of KG)
3.Magic

Steel Head
06-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Lakers over the Cavs in the finals next year :sofunny:

TackleMeBen
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Lakers over the Cavs in the finals next year :sofunny:
anyone but the freaking lakers.... i would have to pull for the cavs and i hate them with a passion.

tony hipchest
06-25-2009, 09:02 PM
great move for the cavs and shows james they will do whatever it takes to ensure he is a contender for years to come.

it will be fun to watch.

JackHammer
06-26-2009, 12:15 AM
I hope the Cavs fail and Shaq is forever known as "The Big Mistake"(by the lake) in Cleveland.

Galax Steeler
06-26-2009, 05:15 AM
I wonder how the chemistry between Shaq and Lebron will work.

revefsreleets
06-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I wonder how the chemistry between Shaq and Lebron will work.

Shaq has gone as far as saying that he would even play off the bench, but that will never happen. I think he understands that this is LBJ's team, and he's there in a support role, but the real tantalizer is that 5th ring...this represents his best and last chance for that.

Steel_12
06-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Cleveland isn't the favorites to win the East. Especially after Orlando countered and traded for Vince Carter. The Celtics will still be good and Atlanta got MUCH better with Crawford. Chicago is getting Deng back and they will be much better as well as Rose. Cleveland isn't guaranteed anything...as we saw this year.

Cleveland fans better pray that Shaq makes a difference or LeBron is gone.

lilyoder6
06-26-2009, 09:38 PM
the cavs will still have the same problem they had last yr.. the trouble with the pick and roll and the mis-matchs..

all this does is give them a clog in the paint and prob be able to cover howard...

but this is going off of if shaq plays as well as he did last yr.. and even so.. he will only give u like 20 or so min a game.. and he won't play all 82

MACH1
06-26-2009, 11:06 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shaq's to old. He can't play a whole game let alone finish a whole season. He won't be able to keep up with the youngsters. Can't put him in to finish a close game either.

Steel_12
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Rumor is that Orlando might get Sheed too...if they pull that off, it's back to the Finals for them

xfl2001fan
06-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Cavs don't need Shaq for all 92 games.

However, he did play in 75 games last season and averaged 30 minutes per game. All we need him for is like 24 minutes. Let him and Z go back and forth as the Center...and in the closing minutes of games, have Z at the PF spot and let teams pick their poison.

revefsreleets
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Again, they are still looking for a Power Forward. They aren't done shopping yet.

But the haters hate...that's what they do...

lilyoder6
06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Again, they are still looking for a Power Forward. They aren't done shopping yet.

But the haters hate...that's what they do...

they are still looking b/c shaq did not solve there problem for defending the pick and roll..

but i guess the truth to u means that we are hating.. but u keep on thinking that the shaq trade helped there weaknesses.. like the pick and roll all u want

revefsreleets
06-30-2009, 11:28 AM
They lacked a powerful big body who could man-up with Howard, which is the ONLY reason they lost to the Magic.

This solves that problem.

So it's not like it was stupid deal, or didn't make the team better. To argue that they are the same or worse off WITH Shaq is a ridiculous statement, and, yes, qualifies one as a hater. Haters make stupid, knee-jerk responses based on blind hate and not the facts as they may be. This board is, quite literally, littered with posters that fit that description exactly.

revefsreleets
06-30-2009, 01:22 PM
And this just in...

http://www.ohio.com/sports/49485667.html

Villanueva interested in Cavaliers

Free agent says Cleveland in need of power forward

MACH1
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
They lacked a powerful big body who could man-up with Howard, which is the ONLY reason they lost to the Magic.

This solves that problem.

So it's not like it was stupid deal, or didn't make the team better. To argue that they are the same or worse off WITH Shaq is a ridiculous statement, and, yes, qualifies one as a hater. Haters make stupid, knee-jerk responses based on blind hate and not the facts as they may be. This board is, quite literally, littered with posters that fit that description exactly.

Believe it or not, not everybody's a cavs fan.

xfl2001fan
06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
And this just in...

http://www.ohio.com/sports/49485667.html

Villanueva interested in Cavaliers

Free agent says Cleveland in need of power forward

Was just going to post that. There are two potential guys that the Cavs may get...and Charlie V fits our biggest need as a PF who can spread the Defense out some more.

The other guy (potentially) who could come to the Cavs for a 1 year MLE deal is...Ron Artest. (Not a guy I'd prefer, but the talk is there.)

RoethlisBURGHer
07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Not to mention that I do not see how Vince Carter makes the Magic better.

When the ball is in Carter's hands, the game stops. He is one of the kings of the ball hogs. Yeah, he will average 20ish points a game...but that is on a ton of shots. He'll take stupid shots just to shoot. Not to mention he isn't big on defensive play either.

tony hipchest
07-01-2009, 11:26 PM
charlie v. and ben gordon agree in principal to contracts w/ detroit.

however, i agree that poo-pooing shaq going to the cavs is absurd. he may be old but he will be playing with the greatest player he ever played with.

MACH1
07-02-2009, 12:02 AM
charlie v. and ben gordon agree in principal to contracts w/ detroit.

however, i agree that poo-pooing shaq going to the cavs is absurd. he may be old but he will be playing with the 2nd greatest player he ever played with.

fixed it :flap:

tony hipchest
07-02-2009, 12:18 AM
fixed it :flap:yeah, i guess shaq did play with himself while with the lakers. :chuckle:

:stirthepot:

revefsreleets
07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Believe it or not, not everybody's a cavs fan.
That's an interesting statement. It says a lot.

I hate the Lakers, and dislike Kobe immensely....BUT I appreciate his talent, and think he's probably top-5 all-time, maybe top-3. I don't let my personal feelings interrupt the reality of the situation, or taint my judgment.

I leave that to the haters...

Steel_12
07-03-2009, 04:28 PM
lol the arrogance of some people on this forum is amazing!

BehindSteelCurtain
07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
It doesn't solve the Cavs problems at all. All they got was a guy to clog the lane.

revefsreleets
07-06-2009, 09:12 AM
It doesn't solve the Cavs problems at all. All they got was a guy to clog the lane.

The only problem they had was stopping Howard.

Problem solved.

lilyoder6
07-06-2009, 10:46 AM
The only problem they had was stopping Howard.

Problem solved.

u must be blind then.. if u think the only problem they had was stopping howard...

the cavs could not stop the pick and roll at all.... and that is what orlando runs for the most part...

revefsreleets
07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
u must be blind then.. if u think the only problem they had was stopping howard...

the cavs could not stop the pick and roll at all.... and that is what orlando runs for the most part...

The Cavs had to double down on Howard, and they still couldn't stop him. Shaq will dedicate his life to stopping Howard...it's his reason for existing right now. Stop Howard, and everything else falls in line.

I keep hearing this garbage about being weak against the pick and roll...it's not like these guys (or Mike Brown) are retarded and can't learn a defense. True, Z and Mo are weak links against PG's picking and rolling, and Shaq won't be a ton of help in that regard, but that's only one facet of why Orlando was able to beat the Cavs.

Neutralizing Howard is the key to the Cavs beating the Magic. And since Orlando is the only team in the NBA that has consistently beaten the Cavs, well, problem solved.

lilyoder6
07-06-2009, 02:12 PM
The Cavs had to double down on Howard, and they still couldn't stop him. Shaq will dedicate his life to stopping Howard...it's his reason for existing right now. Stop Howard, and everything else falls in line.

I keep hearing this garbage about being weak against the pick and roll...it's not like these guys (or Mike Brown) are retarded and can't learn a defense. True, Z and Mo are weak links against PG's picking and rolling, and Shaq won't be a ton of help in that regard, but that's only one facet of why Orlando was able to beat the Cavs.

Neutralizing Howard is the key to the Cavs beating the Magic. And since Orlando is the only team in the NBA that has consistently beaten the Cavs, well, problem solved.

well that life could be short b/c howard can put in 35/40 min a game... shaq can get half of that,, and if he pushes 30 he will be getting closer to having a heart atk...

and we are basing the shaq can stop howard... and if he can.. he will only be able to do it for the 20/25 min or so that he can put in..

revefsreleets
07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Shaq can play as many minutes as required against Howard. Where are you getting this stuff, anyway? He averaged 30 MPG last year, and his career was only 35.7, so it's not like he's only going to be playing half games. Even in his prime he averages 40, and James, who is widely regarded as playing as much as anyone only averages 40. I'd say it's reasonable to see Shaq on the floor 32 minutes a game next year.

As for Howard, whatever Shaq has left he'll bring it against Howard.

Next.

SteelersinCA
07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Didn't Shaq FLOP when he played Howard earlier this year? I certainly hope for the Cavs sake Shaq gets better at defending him. :stirthepot:

lilyoder6
07-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Shaq can play as many minutes as required against Howard. Where are you getting this stuff, anyway? He averaged 30 MPG last year, and his career was only 35.7, so it's not like he's only going to be playing half games. Even in his prime he averages 40, and James, who is widely regarded as playing as much as anyone only averages 40. I'd say it's reasonable to see Shaq on the floor 32 minutes a game next year.

As for Howard, whatever Shaq has left he'll bring it against Howard.

Next.

i will say shaq had a good yr last yr,, but the past 3 yrs the man didn't top 39 games..
to go back 4 yrs he topped out at 58...

so are we gonna see the shaq from last yr.. or the shaq the prev 3 yrs who broke down b/c the man is 37/38 yrs old...

lilyoder6
07-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Didn't Shaq FLOP when he played Howard earlier this year? I certainly hope for the Cavs sake Shaq gets better at defending him. :stirthepot:

i believe i saw that epic fail at a flop...

howard is faster and quicker than shaq.... shaq will have trouble if howard is moving

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
That's not QUITE how the battle went down...some biased people here have a very selective memory. In fact, let's take a look at what REALLY happened.

First off, when the Suns played the Magic in March, Howard had a good game, with 21 points, 1 block and 8 boards, but "Old Man Shaq" was in every way his equal, with 19 points, 11 boards and two blocked shots. He was in Howards head. At the start of the 2nd half, O'Neal stripped Howard, then forced him to miss an easy shot on the Magic's next possession. He also grabbed a board over Howard earlier in the game, then rejected Howards shot on the next possession.

The "flop" was to try and force Howard out of the game due to his foul problems, which is simply smart play. Shaq also played 35 minutes to Howard's 30...so much for him being old and tired.

SteelersinCA
07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Most important query, who won the game?

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Most important query, who won the game?

The old "Marino wasn't a great QB because he never won a championship" argument again?

Individual battles don't count? Individual play doesn't matter?

Silly...they needed a big man to neutralize Howard, and they have him. They MIGHT have all they need now, but a decent PF would cement the deal.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
The Cavs didnt lose because they couldnt stop Howard.

Turkoglu and Lewis just gave them match up problems.

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
The Cavs didnt lose because they couldnt stop Howard.

Turkoglu and Lewis just gave them match up problems.

They had match-up problems because they had to play inside out, and double down on Howard, which left Turkoglu and Lewis outside for easy looks at 3's.

Now they have man-to-man match's all around the perimeter and in the paint.

I mean, seriously, do you think I'm making this stuff up? They went and got Shaq why? For fun? No reason at all? Do you think they are weaker against Howard then they were trying to guard him with Z and Andy? Really?

lilyoder6
07-08-2009, 03:05 PM
i don't even know why we are arguing here.. i mean, it's not like the cavs are gonna be competitve after lebron leaves next yr...

lol

revefsreleets
07-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I really think he's staying. As a natural pessimist, and one who will naturally play devils advocate if for no other reason that not to "jinx it" (see: Cowher coming to the Browns as HC), I have a pretty good feeling that he's staying.

SteelersinCA
07-08-2009, 08:55 PM
The old "Marino wasn't a great QB because he never won a championship" argument again?

Individual battles don't count? Individual play doesn't matter?

Silly...they needed a big man to neutralize Howard, and they have him. They MIGHT have all they need now, but a decent PF would cement the deal.

Shaq may be an upgrade but to say 1 game is indicative of neutralization or not is a bit hasty. I'd like to see how well Shaq holds up into the playoffs. Personally I think the Celtics give the Cavs a worse matchup issue than the Magic, especially with Rasheed.

revefsreleets
07-09-2009, 08:46 AM
The Cavs gave the Celts everything they could handle in '07, and that Cavs team was not nearly as complete as the '08 team. They picked up Parker who'll be a nice lift off the bench...I'm guessing Hickson will get significantly more PT next year, and that they think he's their answer at PF...they had the money to offer some of the big name FA's, but didn't go there.

Finally, my sources tell me (and I DO work in the NEO media, so I'm not joking when I say I have sources) that due to the cap possibly being lowered next year to 50 million, LeBron will almost certainly sign a 6 year, 130 million extension with the Cavs soon. That's max bid for the Cavs, and may be the most anyone can offer in re the future cap lowering (which is due to lower attendance and revenues being down, ostensibly from the recession).

SteelersinCA
07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Why wouldn't he do that right away? They could have easily brought in better options for him if he would have just signed an extension. I don't like what the Cavs have done to LBJ and I don't like what LBJ has done to the Cavs. They are pissing in each others cheerios for no good reason.

revefsreleets
07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Why wouldn't he do that right away? They could have easily brought in better options for him if he would have just signed an extension. I don't like what the Cavs have done to LBJ and I don't like what LBJ has done to the Cavs. They are pissing in each others cheerios for no good reason.

Asked and answered. Shaq was the "big get", and Hickson must figure in their next years plans in a much larger capacity. The Cavs offered Andy a big extension, so this must also be according to the plan. If they DID NOT want Verejao, they'd have been in a position to offer as much or more money to any number of big-name FA PF's. My guess is they had 1 or 2 targetted, but really just wanted Andy back.

SteelersinCA
07-10-2009, 01:53 AM
I was shocked at the offer they made to Varejao. I think he is a hack and virtually anyone could fill his position. There are many many better PF's out there.

revefsreleets
07-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Andy is valued because A) He plays excellent defense and B) He plays well with LBJ. He's also paid pretty much right on par with what other guy are getting, and his contract is incentive laden, so it looks a little bigger than it really is...actually works out to about 7 mil a year.

Looks like they have Channing Frye on their radar, which is really a push. Parker is an upgrade over Wally or Pavlovic, though, and Shaq is what he is, so the team is improved over '08. There is also the unheralded factor that although he's already the best player in the NBA, LeBron has not reached his peak yet and may not for a few seasons...scary thought!

xfl2001fan
07-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I was shocked at the offer they made to Varejao. I think he is a hack and virtually anyone could fill his position. There are many many better PF's out there.

When he's on floor, he's the 5th scoring option...his numbers aren't going to look good.

Of the FA PF, who is better than Andy? Charlie V went to the Pistons because he wanted more money...and he's not near the defender Andy is. After that, who is there?

SteelersinCA
07-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Could have got Artest, could have got Ariza, could wait til next year, could have signed you. I just really really really hate Varejao. I should be happy the Cavs signed him I suppose.