PDA

View Full Version : cowboys won the "battle" in '95, but we won the WAR in '09

Men of Steel
06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
the quote in this article was taken by a previous post by mesasteeler...
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=620283&posted=1#post620283
( a great read.. must check it out )

6) Deshea Townsend INT return for a TD completes the Steeler comeback against the Cowboys. The Steelers appeared to be goners in this one, and the Fox broadcast team was letting us all hear how big a win this was for the Cowboys after the 4th quarter goal line stand that kept them ahead 13-3. Seemingly moments later, a signature drive and clutch plays again from Big Ben (and stellar pass blocking from the maligned O-line), and the Steelers have tied the game at 13. This set the stage for Big Play Deshea, as Lamar Woodley pressures Romo who lofts the ball over the charging OLB and into the hands of Townsend. As he crashes into the end zone, Steeler fans everywhere risk ligament damage twirling Terrible Towels with reckless abandon. Steelers win 20-13.

but wanted to share a personal experience:

wow did i cry like a baby after this one... i had never experienced suuch an emotional roller coaster in my life! this game meant the world to me..

i first became a fan of the steelers when i was 8 yrs old.. in 94-95 season. such a magical year... i was soo thrilled... the year i started following the Steelers... they made the super bowl... and to my greatest dissapointment, i had to bare witness to our "beloved" QB neil odonell and see him hand over the game to our most hated rivals... THE COWBOYS. that was when i discovered how much i TRULY HATE the cowboys.

and given how ive lived in Texas my whole life... it was traumatizing seeing everybody i know and dont know celebrate a championship i truly believed belonged to us.. steeler nation.

so this game meant everything to me... and how funny that this game along with almost every other game this year symbolized how truly difficult and adversity overcoming this single season would be.

i remember the steelers incredible comeback in the final minutes of this game.
i remember saying... we are not going to loose this game..
i remember how our defense rooosee to the occasion and how an old but faithful veteran put the game away... i remember i was sooo nervous i was throwing up... and how i tried to hide those tears of joy and relief from all the cowboy fans in the room after we took the lead in the final seconds, and how my towel never stopped twirling the whooole time.

one would think the cowboys won the war back in 95.. winning the superbowl and all... but no. that was just a battle they won... WE won the war... winning this game... and being the FIRST TO SIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

living in texas full of cowgirls was... i repeat... was a horrible thing for me to bare during the 90s... but thats all changed... and now one feels like he can take on the world. after all... isnt that... steeler football???

how true the words:
"THE HARDER THE CONFLICT... THE SWEETER THE VICTORY"
:tt03:

thumper
06-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I kind of got news for you: winning a Super Bowl vs. winning a regular season game _IS_ winning the war, not the battle. We won the latest battle vs. Dallas, but they won the latest war when it comes to head to head match ups.

Men of Steel
06-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I kind of got news for you: winning a Super Bowl vs. winning a regular season game _IS_ winning the war, not the battle. We won the latest battle vs. Dallas, but they won the latest war when it comes to head to head match ups.

lol i know that ! :flap: im just too dam passionate and hate the cowgirls soo much any victory over them is winnin a war... specially since WE HAVE SIX SUPERBOWLS and they DONT....

thing is.. u gotta live where i live to understand its a battle everyday... and every season we are succsesfull.. .and they arent... its like were winning a war... to me...

please please please dont take things too litterally!!!!! :banging:

thumper
06-26-2009, 02:42 PM
lol i know that ! :flap: im just too dam passionate and hate the cowgirls soo much any victory over them is winnin a war... specially since WE HAVE SIX SUPERBOWLS and they DONT....

thing is.. u gotta live where i live to understand its a battle everyday... and every season we are succsesfull.. .and they arent... its like were winning a war... to me...

please please please dont take things too litterally!!!!! :banging:

OK. I won't rain on your parade. In a way you are right: All they have is their early, mid-90s trophies and NO NO NO NO play off win since. We have had loads of good seasons since then PLUS two more rings, bringing our total higher than theirs.

Plus, the most recent win, head to head. So if you look at it that way, we are winning the WAR.

Not only that, with Jones still running the team and not allowing a REAL head coach to COACH the team, they will not have ultimate success in the near future. I thought when Jones hired Tuna he was finally ready to put winning ahead of his ego; but fact is, he couldn't take it and did bozo moves like signing TO without Tuna's consent. To make matters worse, once it because obvious TO was too much an ass, Jones chose TO over Tuna, AGAIN, serving his ego over the success of the team.

And to add to the enjoyment of Dallas failure, the talent collected (and they have a good deal of talent) will erode as that talent was collected by Tuna's wisdom and decision making. As they move forward, their talent chest will be torn down, just like it was when Jimmy Johnson left. Left on his own, Jones sucks at drafting.

He will burn picks and make foolish picks. Just remember how crappy his teams got as Johnson's picks went away. The latest infusion of talent was Tuna-produced.

Look at how worthless their draft was this year. Look at the drafts they had with Jimmy Johnson, then without, then with Tuna, then without. Notice anything? Jones drafts blow without a football man to run it.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/cowboys.html

Men of Steel
06-26-2009, 02:51 PM
very good points thumper :drink:

in other words... cowboys are still rolling all the way downhill.... and were at the TOP of the mountain :tt02:

hopefully we keep succeeding and Steel Roots keep producing a First Class Organization for many many many many many years to come.

Dino 6 Rings
06-26-2009, 04:26 PM
6 Rings to 5 Rings and a 2-1 Record in the Big Game. We are Still Winning The War.

SteelCityKing
06-26-2009, 05:04 PM
honestly, who do you think would win in a fight, a steel mill worker or a cowboy?

let's send a letter to Spike TV and see if they'll put it on "Deadliest Warrior." that's be ill. =)

NEPAsteeler
06-26-2009, 08:58 PM
honestly, who do you think would win in a fight, a steel mill worker or a cowboy?

let's send a letter to Spike TV and see if they'll put it on "Deadliest Warrior." that's be ill. =)

that show is awesome!

steel worker hands down.

Eff the Cowboys.

Psyychoward86
06-26-2009, 09:11 PM

Lol. Best thing I've heard all day. I love that show too!!!! :hug:

Rek
06-27-2009, 09:10 AM
The Cowboys are becoming a joke of a franchise. All glitz and glamor, no heart or dedication. The complete opposite of the Steelers.

Psyychoward86
06-27-2009, 12:24 PM

Way to burst a bubble. Didn't we ban u a long time ago?

LVSteelersfan
06-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Cowgirls suck. I lived in Texas years ago as a Steeler fan (in my military days) and I hated those people and their arrogance. I was there when the Steelers beat the Cowboys in Super Bowl XIII in 1979. That was so sweet listening to Cowboys fans lament that Super Bowl and insisting they lost on a bogus interference call against Lynn Swann late in the game. Sour grapes just like the Seasquawks.

rick723
06-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Agree with Thumper
Thumper, do You belong to the 3/4 site?

thumper
06-27-2009, 03:19 PM

I was gonna say, "Dallas has no cowboys in town" but doesn't Pgh have any steel workers left either? Since neither town has much of either, the question is more like "Would a typical Steeler fan beat up a typical Dallas fan?" I give the edge to the Steeler fan, big time. The ppl in Dallas are not a hearty sort.

thumper
06-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Way to burst a bubble. Didn't we ban u a long time ago?

No. I wasn't here a long time ago. If you can't take reality, that's your weakness.

thumper
06-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Agree with Thumper
Thumper, do You belong to the 3/4 site?

I don't think so. I don't even know what it is

Rek
06-27-2009, 03:54 PM
I was gonna say, "Dallas has no cowboys in town" but doesn't Pgh have any steel workers left either? Since neither town has much of either, the question is more like "Would a typical Steeler fan beat up a typical Dallas fan?" I give the edge to the Steeler fan, big time. The ppl in Dallas are not a hearty sort.

I think I'd rather watch these two battle it out...

http://thenationalevil.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/dallas-cowboys-cheerleader.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fHn-jgdR1SE/SVvbsB1neTI/AAAAAAAAAm0/UMqk6aTb9fM/s400/HOT-STEELERS-FAN.jpg

...But maybe that's just me.

thumper
06-27-2009, 04:04 PM
very good points thumper :drink:

in other words... cowboys are still rolling all the way downhill.... and were at the TOP of the mountain :tt02:

hopefully we keep succeeding and Steel Roots keep producing a First Class Organization for many many many many many years to come.

I like our chances. Tomlin is great. He knows how to NOT leg ego seep in and erode the team. Cowher screwed that part up. I was soooooooooo glad to see Cowher go.

As long as Pgh greatly values its draft picks, and does well at drafting, and has Ben around in one piece, they will remain a contender. Watch Dallas begin to become untalented in a short order. Their drafts sans Tuna have been horrid and that will catch up to them.

2009 1 3 5 69 Jason Williams LB Western Illinois
2 3 11 75 Robert Brewster T Ball State
3 4 1 101 Stephen McGee QB Texas A&M
4 4 10 110 Victor Butler DE Oregon State
5 4 20 120 Brandon Williams DE Texas Tech
6 5 7 143 DeAngelo Smith DB Cincinnati
7 5 30 166 Michael Hamlin DB Clemson
8 5 36 172 David Buehler K USC
9 6 24 197 Stephen Hodge DB Texas Christian
10 6 35 208 John Phillips TE Virginia
11 7 18 227 Mike Mickens DB Cincinnati
12 7 20 229 Manuel Johnson WR Oklahoma

They didn't have a 1st-round pick from Roy Williams trade. And they kept trading down to gain more picks. But volume hardy begets quality. I know it's impossible to tell how these players will pan out, but they have barely drafted a name I even recognize. History tells us a Jones-led draft will be a stinker. They always have.

2008 1 1 22 22 Felix Jones RB Arkansas
2 1 25 25 Mike Jenkins DB South Florida
3 2 30 61 Martellus Bennett TE Texas A&M
4 4 23 122 Tashard Choice RB Georgia Tech
5 5 8 143 Orlando Scandrick DB Boise State
6 6 1 167 Erik Walden DE Middle Tennessee State

Jones should be a good player. Jenkins looked like a rookie. Bennett is highly talented but raw and immature. Choice is an OK back up, nothing more.

2007 1 1 26 26 Anthony Spencer DE Purdue
2 3 3 67 James Marten T Boston College
3 4 4 103 Isaiah Stanback QB Washington
4 4 23 122 Doug Free T Northern Illinois
5 6 4 178 Nick Folk K Arizona
6 6 21 195 Deon Anderson RB Connecticut
7 7 2 212 Courtney Brown DB Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo

It's Spencer's make or break year; has been a disappointment so far. A lot of us thought Spencer was a better pick than Timmons. This will be the first season we will know; I think Timmons will prove highly more productive. Spencer has looked lost and ....unproductive. In contrast, the Tuna-drafted player, Ware, had 20 sacks to Spencer's 2.

Now let's look at the other "non-football man in charge" Jones drafts

2001 1 2 22 53 Quincy Carter QB Georgia
2 2 25 56 Tony Dixon DB Alabama
3 3 31 93 Willie Blade DT Mississippi State
4 4 27 122 Markus Steele LB USC
5 5 6 137 Matt Lehr G Virginia Tech
6 6 8 171 Daleroy Stewart DT Southern Mississippi
7 7 7 207 Colston Weatherington DE Central Missouri State
8 7 40 240 John Nix DT Southern Mississippi
9 7 42 242 Char-ron Dorsey T Florida State

Garbage draft. Carter was a failure. Dixon sucked. Blade lasted a mere few years doing not much of anything. Steele never did anything even though Dallas fans claimed it was a super pick. Short version: rubbish draft.

2000 1 2 18 49 Dwayne Goodrich DB Tennessee
2 4 15 109 Kareem Larrimore DB West Texas State
3 5 15 144 Michael Wiley RB Ohio State
4 6 14 180 Mario Edwards DB Florida State
5 7 13 219 Orantes Grant LB Georgia

Who? Abysmal draft. 3 DBs drafted and I don't know if any of them were any good. How long before every draft pick was out of football? That is a stinking draft class.

1999 1 1 20 20 Ebenezer Ekuban DE North Carolina
2 2 24 55 Solomon Page T West Virginia
3 3 24 85 Dat Nguyen LB Texas A&M
4 4 23 118 Wane McGarity WR Texas
5 4 37 132 Hundens Zellner DE Fort Valley State
6 6 24 193 MarTay Jenkins WR Nebraska-Omaha
7 7 23 229 Mike Lucky TE Arizona
8 7 37 243 Kelvin Garmon G Baylor

This one was decent for a Jones draft. Not great; but not bad for him. Ekuban hung around for a while, bouncing to Cleveland and then Denver. Page was a solid pick. Dat wasn't terrible but he's been gone for a while hasn't he? The rest is worthless.

1998 1 1 8 8 Greg Ellis DE North Carolina
2 2 8 38 Flozell Adams T Michigan State
3 4 8 100 Michael Myers DT Alabama
4 5 7 130 Darren Hambrick LB South Carolina
5 5 15 138 Oliver Ross T Iowa State
6 6 35 188 Izell Reese DB Alabama-Birmingham
7 7 34 223 Tarik Smith RB California
8 7 38 227 Antonio Fleming G Georgia
9 7 48 237 Rodrick Monroe TE Cincinnati

Ellis wasn't a bad pick but he was 8th over all, and if you screw up that high a pick something is seriously wrong. That being said, Randy Moss, Fred Taylor, Tra Thomas, Keith Brooking, Takeo Spikes, Kevin Dyson, etc. were still on the board. Adams was a good pick, but most of the rest was crap.

1997 1 1 22 22 David LaFleur TE Louisiana State
2 3 5 65 Dexter Coakley DB Appalachian State
3 3 23 83 Steve Scifres G Wyoming
4 3 34 94 Kenny Wheaton DB Oregon
5 4 5 101 Antonio Anderson DT Syracuse
6 4 31 127 Macey Brooks WR James Madison
7 4 33 129 Nicky Sualua RB Ohio State
8 6 24 187 Lee Vaughn DB Wyoming
9 7 23 224 Omar Stoutmire DB Fresno State

LaFleur picked too high. Coakley OK. The rest is junk.

1996 1 2 7 37 Kavika Pittman DE McNeese State
2 2 19 49 Randall Godfrey LB Georgia
3 3 6 67 Clay Shiver C Florida State
4 3 33 94 Stepfret Williams WR N.E. Louisiana
5 3 34 95 Mike Ulufale DT Brigham Young
6 5 25 157 Kenneth McDaniel G Norfolk State
7 5 35 167 Alan Campos LB Louisville
8 6 40 207 Wendell Davis DB Oklahoma
9 7 34 243 Ryan Wood RB Arizona State

Pittman too high. Godfrey OK. Rest junk.

1995s 1 3 0 0 Darren Benson DT Arkansas State
1995 1 2 14 46 Sherman Williams RB Alabama
2 2 27 59 Kendell Watkins TE Mississippi State
3 2 31 63 Shane Hannah G Michigan State
4 3 28 92 Charlie Williams DB Bowling Green
5 4 12 110 Eric Bjornson WR Washington
6 4 31 129 Alundis Brice DB Mississippi
7 4 32 130 Linc Harden LB Oklahoma State
8 5 32 166 Edward Hervey WR USC
9 5 34 168 Dana Howard LB Illinois
10 7 28 236 Oscar Sturgis DE North Carolina

Watkins OK. The rest worthless.

1994s 1 5 0 0 John Davis TE Emporia State
1994 1 1 23 23 Shante Carver DE Arizona State
2 2 17 46 Larry Allen G Sonoma State
3 3 37 102 George Hegamin T North Carolina State
4 4 6 109 Willie Jackson WR Florida
5 4 28 131 DeWayne Dotson LB Mississippi
6 6 30 191 Darren Studstill DB West Virginia
7 7 22 216 Toddrick McIntosh DT Florida State

Allen home run. Carver garbage. Same as rest.

Put it this way: If you are a Cowboy's fan, you have lots to be worried about with Jones running the drafts.

The_WARDen
06-29-2009, 07:34 AM
I think I'd rather watch these two battle it out...

http://thenationalevil.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/dallas-cowboys-cheerleader.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fHn-jgdR1SE/SVvbsB1neTI/AAAAAAAAAm0/UMqk6aTb9fM/s400/HOT-STEELERS-FAN.jpg

...But maybe that's just me.

Now THAT's a battle I wouldn't mind getting in the middle of...

:drink: