PDA

View Full Version : AFC North Blibber-Blabber!

SteelCityKing
06-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Thought of the Day III

June 26, 2009 6:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

The AFC North blog called an audible this week.

Due to the tremendous and overwhelming response to our latest "Thought of the Day" topic on rooting for a rival team, we decided to stretch this conversation through Saturday to get in as many opinions as possible.

So here is another batch of perspectives from our busy AFC North inbox:

Roger from Skowhegan, ME writes: If it couldn't be the Steelers, I'd prefer the Ravens. At least losing to them is not shameful. If the Browns or Bungles are in the Bowl, the Steelers (and Ravens) must have suffered through a truly awful season. Also, if I'm to be denied the pleasure of watching the Steelers D [beat] some NFC patsy, at least you know the Ravens D would get after it in the same spirit.

Don from Coeur d'Alene, ID writes: I am a Steelers fan, always was and will be. That being said, if I were to choose a team other than mine (ouch), it would be the Cleveland Browns. I am a person who likes an underdog story, and I think the Browns, at this point, are that. They are also a franchise that has been around for so long and could possibly lose their team (again) at some point if things don't turn around.

Harvey "Mr. Steeler" Aronson from Jacksonville, Fla. writes: As a diehard Steelers fan, having grown up in Pittsburgh, it is impossible for me to root for any other NFL team or any other sports team outside of Pittsburgh. However, if I had to pick another team to win the AFC North, I'd have to go with Cincinnati. Sometimes you just have to feel bad for the Bungles. In some rights, they deserve a Super Bowl title.

Jack from Baltimore, Md. writes: James, I may be a Ravens fan but I'm not stupid. If any other team besides the Ravens to win a Super Bowl, it's going to be the Steelers whether I like it or not. There can be little debate that they are one of the elite teams of the last 5 years. If I had to choose a team that I hate the least to win the Super Bowl, it would be Cincy. I just can't find it in my heart to hate them the way I know I should hate a division rival. Maybe they need to beat us a few times for us to feel the animosity.

Ravens fan Joel from Hagerstown, MD writes: The Browns is the only team I would want to win. I just feel bad for them. They are called the Browns and their helmets aren't even brown. And they never win, or the Bengals. They are both terrible. Actually I hope the Bengals and Browns somehow tie because that would be the ultimate torture because they still wouldn't be the top team even in their best season. So close yet so far away.

Bobby from Mount Airy, Md. writes: If my Ravens didn't win the big game this year, I'd have to go with the Cleveland Browns. Now don't get me wrong I love having an easy 'W' 2 times a year, but at least for my sake it's not the Steelers. I also just like the players that they have. Brady Quinn, how can you not unless you're a USC fan? But there it is. Cleveland, get ready. Because you're my pick.

Jon from Fort Huachuca, Arizona writes: As a Browns fan this is simple. I eliminate the Steelers because, well, they're the Steelers. Aren't six enough already? I eliminate the Ravens because I still refuse to acknowledge the atrocity that was committed by Art Modell, and that leaves me with the Bengals. Simple enough I think.

Rob from Sydney, Australia writes: On your question of who I would prefer to win a Super Bowl if the Brownies weren't involved, I would have to say the Ravens. I sort of think of them as the 'Old Browns' even though they don't have any of the same players. I doubt if I would have rooted for them before Art Modell sold his ownership. I also have a soft spot for the Bengals, as they have been perennial underdogs for as long as I can remember.

Kevin from Columbus, Ohio writes: James, I don't know if one can possibly call themselves a fan loyal to their team if they can accept another team from the division winning the Super Bowl. That being said, as a Browns fan, I think the team that I would suffer least watching them hold the Lombardi would have to be the Ravens. Let me explain: Being that I reside in the Columbus area (about midway between Cincinnati and Cleveland, and coincidentally about the same distance away from Pittsburgh) I see and deal with a lot of fans of the Bengals and Steelers along with my fellow Browns fans. Rarely do I see a Ravens fan so far away from home (there just aren't all that many to begin with...). Whenever my Browns lose to the Bengals or Steelers, I have to hear about it for weeks. In the event of a championship I have to hear about it for even longer.

Andrew from Cleveland, Ohio writes: I suppose it's the Bengals by default. As I Browns fan I can't root for Baltimore or Pittsburgh, ever, for any reason (In Ravens/Steeler games I always root for a 0-0 tie). I may respect them but I would rather see them go 0-16 then win another Super Bowl. The Bengals are third on the list of rivals so it's gotta be them. Plus, at least then an Ohio team could win something to counter the Keystone State's recent sports success.

Thanks again for the continued response. Check in Saturday for an AFC North final say.

Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, Super Bowl, Thought of the Day

SteelCityKing
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
i smell a lot of jealousy and a lot of animosity. mmm...i like it. =)

RoethlisBURGHer
06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I would root for the NFC team, unless it's the Cowboys, then I would root for all the players to pull their hamstrings and the game gets canceled.

Psyychoward86
06-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd root for the U.S World Cup Soccer team. I'd pretty much give up on pro football if I couldnt root for the Steelers.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
06-27-2009, 12:59 AM
No offense to anyone on this forum, I respect your organization most of your fans and players..but I can't ever really root for Pittsburgh in anything for a couple of reasons:

1.) it's my Cleveland fan obligation to pull against the rivals in Michigan, New Yawk, The Chowds and especially Pittsburgh.

2.) No offense to anyone here as I'm sure you all are diehards and wouldn't quit even if you're team went 0-16 or something similar to that, but in my neck of the woods suddenly after you guys drafted big ben and went 15-1 and the Browns had another bad season (suprise, suprise), I noticed a sudden rush of brand new Steeler jersey's and Terrible towels with the price tags still on it. And believe me nothing gets old quicker than hearing some guy who just switched alliances or did it to be an a-hole continue to tell me how my team sucks and his team had 6 Super Bowls thus making him a better fan of the game, when the guy couldn't tell you the difference between Heinz Field and Hines Ward. And the excuses get more and more ridiculous and old "My Aunt's Godmother's Father is from Pittsburgh thus I'm a fan". Uh-huh?

And this isn't directed to anyone on the board or the folks who actually did grow up in PA or actually did have family who raised them to be a Steeler fan in the Buckeye state. I have no problems with you. You guys have loyalty like a lot of fans do, and the loyal fans on both our sides MAKE the rivalry. You guys stood up with us when our team was taken away, that how powerful the rivalry is. But I just wish the casual wishy-washy fans would go move to Canada or something.

Here's to reviving the good ol' fashioned hatred of my Browns to the Pittsburgh side and fighting for the power of the division year and year our while Baltimore and Cincy watch from the basement. :drink:

Men of Steel
06-27-2009, 01:46 AM
I'd root for the U.S World Cup Soccer team. I'd pretty much give up on pro football if I couldnt root for the Steelers.

amen. i second that..!!! football is just not football without our Steelers. :noidea: so what the hell... just move on to soccer... TEAM USA... underdogs all the way. :chuckle:

MACH1
06-27-2009, 02:17 AM
I'd get sloshed and forgot who won the next day.:noidea:

CantStop85
06-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I'd get sloshed and forgot who won the next day.:noidea:

This.

Galax Steeler
06-27-2009, 06:32 AM
I think I would find someone else to root for besides the Browns. I just couldn't make myself do it.

Rek
06-27-2009, 08:54 AM
amen. i second that..!!! football is just not football without our Steelers. :noidea: so what the hell... just move on to soccer... TEAM USA... underdogs all the way. :chuckle:

Team USA is sadly going to be slaughtered by Brazil in the Confederations Cup. Oh well. Here's to a possible upset. :drink:

mulldog24
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Sorry guys, I just don't see myself pulling for another team in any case.

LVSteelersfan
06-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry, I've said it before and will say it again. There is no other team but the Steelers. I hate the Crows, Bungles and Clowns with a passion. The only teams I hate more than the division rivals are the Patsies and Cowgirls. Most years once the Steelers are done I only halfheartedly watch football and don't really care who wins. (unless it is someone stomping the Patsies)

SteelCityKing
06-27-2009, 04:54 PM
rooting for another team who isn't the Steelers is pretty ignorant if you ask me. i don't think i could do it...period. that's like asking me to wear another teams jersey or go to an away game and the teams that are playing aren't even from Pittsburgh. i've been to away games when Pittsburgh was playing...but not a neutral team. i can't stomach that.

with that said, i always root for the team playing against any of our teams in the AFC North. if it's the Cowboys, Patriots, Jaguars, Seahawks, Raiders...i don't care...as long as they beat the AFC North rivals. and come our Bye week, i want every AFC North team to lose.

that's my story and i'm sticking to it. =)

Dino 6 Rings
06-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Thought of the Day III
Jon from Fort Huachuca, Arizona writes: As a Browns fan this is simple. I eliminate the Steelers because, well, they're the Steelers. Aren't six enough already? I eliminate the Ravens because I still refuse to acknowledge the atrocity that was committed by Art Modell, and that leaves me with the Bengals. Simple enough I think.

To answer the question...NO...Six Are Not Enough!!!

SteelCityKing
06-27-2009, 05:06 PM
To answer the question...NO...Six Are Not Enough!!!

Michael Jackson sang it best..."don't stop til' you get enough." haha!

i think the only thing you can have too much of are talk shows, pancakes, and any allergic reaction you may have. that's all. =)

Men of Steel
06-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Team USA is sadly going to be slaughtered by Brazil in the Confederations Cup. Oh well. Here's to a possible upset. :drink:

usa was supposed to have been slaughtered by egypt... and spain... and they woopd on both of them for a combined total of 5-0 goals.

sure u can argue brazil is somethin else.... but ... u just never know... :noidea:

getting back to the subject... GO STEELERS! haha :tt02:

CanadianSteel
06-28-2009, 11:04 PM
No offense to anyone on this forum, I respect your organization most of your fans and players..but I can't ever really root for Pittsburgh in anything for a couple of reasons:

1.) it's my Cleveland fan obligation to pull against the rivals in Michigan, New Yawk, The Chowds and especially Pittsburgh.

But I just wish the casual wishy-washy fans would go move to Canada or something.

Here's to reviving the good ol' fashioned hatred of my Browns to the Pittsburgh side and fighting for the power of the division year and year our while Baltimore and Cincy watch from the basement. :drink:

Dude there are many harcore Steeler Fans up here in Canada, many of us born and raised with the Balck & Gold. Now Browns fans are few and far between up here.. because Canadians are also pretty smart...:chuckle:

Indo
06-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's a question for all of you who have posted above who said they don't votefor/support ANY team if it's not the Steelers:

What if (and this has ACTUALLY happened in the past ) the Steelers aren't in the Superbowl (perish the Thought, but it HAS happened)?

What if it's the Cowboys? I would generally support the other team to preserve the Fact that we have Six and the Crygirls aren't that far behind.

What if it's the Cheatriots or the Baltimorons? I generally vote for the Other team because I HATE both of them.

Now here is a dilemma----What if the Crygirls are playing the Cheatriots? This is a tough one:
A) I hate both teams
B) I hate the Cheatriots more now that the Crygirls are sorta pathetic
C)I think I would rather be tied with the Crygirls for 6 than see the Cheatriots win at anything EVER AGAIN. The ensuing media knob-slobbing on Marcia Brady and the BS about how they are the Greatest team Ever would just about make me put a gun to my head, ask Myron Cope for forgiveness, and pull the trigger

thoughts?

Indo
06-29-2009, 11:16 AM
By the way,

Nothing in my last post matters anyway----it's all hypothetical because The Steelers Are Going To Repeat :tt03::tt03:

LVSteelersfan
06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Don't worry. There is no way the Cowgirls even sniff the playoffs, never mind the Super Bowl. And Brady is going down hard this year if the Patsies even make the playoffs. Don't count on him being 100% like all these moron announcers seem to think he will be. Unless the new rules handcuff all touching of the opposing QB (put a flag on them for criminees sake) Brady won't have those numbers like he has had in the past. Remember Carson Palmer. He hasn't been worth a crap since his knee injury in 2005. That is 4 years.

Here's a question for all of you who have posted above who said they don't votefor/support ANY team if it's not the Steelers:

What if (and this has ACTUALLY happened in the past ) the Steelers aren't in the Superbowl (perish the Thought, but it HAS happened)?

What if it's the Cowboys? I would generally support the other team to preserve the Fact that we have Six and the Crygirls aren't that far behind.

What if it's the Cheatriots or the Baltimorons? I generally vote for the Other team because I HATE both of them.

Now here is a dilemma----What if the Crygirls are playing the Cheatriots? This is a tough one:
A) I hate both teams
B) I hate the Cheatriots more now that the Crygirls are sorta pathetic
C)I think I would rather be tied with the Crygirls for 6 than see the Cheatriots win at anything EVER AGAIN. The ensuing media knob-slobbing on Marcia Brady and the BS about how they are the Greatest team Ever would just about make me put a gun to my head, ask Myron Cope for forgiveness, and pull the trigger

thoughts?

thumper
06-29-2009, 06:49 PM
I would almost say the Browns, but I know given ANYTHING to brag about at all, their fans would be crazy obnoxious. Just overbearing. I find myself rooting for them when they pool off upsets, like vs. NYG last year, because I am so familiar with the team, the area, etc. and the team and it's fans are so pathetic, but I find myself cheering for them in such instances.

But all that being said, if they were actually in the Super Bowl, I think I'd quickly root against them, as Browns fan would turn power obnoxious quick and remind me why I hate them.

I recall when the Ravens won, I was rooting for them (as I had $ on them for one thing and predicted a Raven blow out) and haven't felt at odds with that decision. I did root for Cinci when they were in the Super Bowl. Other than the days we play them, they don't bother me and I liked those teams with Boomer, Icky and James Brooks.