PDA

View Full Version : Burress not wanted

clevestinks
03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
East Rutherford, NJ - After meeting with free agent Plaxico Burress, the Giants have decided not to pursue the wide receiver.

?The New York Giants are no longer interested in free agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress and have withdrawn their offer,? general manager Ernie Accorsi said.

Burress, who played his first five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, arrived at Giants Stadium late Wednesday afternoon. He had dinner with members of the team?s coaching staff and front office in Manhattan last night, and returned to the Giants offices this morning. A determination was then made by the team?s decision-makers to go in another direction.

Just got this from nfl.com . running out of options

HinesWard4Life8682
03-10-2005, 03:49 PM
yeah heres the site if anybody is intrested in reading

http://giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=5952

BlitzburghRockCity
03-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I also posted this up in the Plax thread here on SF...

Steelersfan
03-10-2005, 11:48 PM
This is a quote I got from CBS Sportsline.

We said it last week and we'll say it again. Why some team hasn't signed free-agent receiver Plaxico Burress is mind-boggling. Burress did visit with the Giants this week, but the team said Thursday it will not sign him. There is talk, coming from his agent, that Burress might sign a one-year deal and then try free-agency again next year. That might not be a bad thing, particularly since there's word going through the league that the Steelers aren't exactly giving him high praise as he goes out the door. Burress is known as a moody, emotional player, but he isn't a bad guy. Where can you get a 6-6 receiver who averaged a league-high 19.9 yards per catch a year ago? The fact he isn't signed surprises some league personnel men as well. "He's big, he can go low to catch passes and he can make the deep ball a threat," said one NFC personnel director. "I don't know why he isn't signed. It has to be something the Steelers are telling people." If his price comes down next week, look for the Jaguars to possibly get involved. He's a good friend of Jaguars running back Fred Taylor.

Any ideas what the Steelers may be saying about him?

BlitzburghRockCity
03-10-2005, 11:54 PM
The truth...that he's an underachiever, that he's got all the physical tools in the world, but doesnt live up to expectations... that he'll make a spectacular catch, and follow it up with a dropped ball right into his hands.

But Ben likes him,and he draws alot of double coverage, which helps out Ward and El ALOT ! Still though double coverage or not, u gotta come up with the balls when they are thrown to you.

Steelersfan
03-10-2005, 11:59 PM
The truth...that he's an underachiever, that he's got all the physical tools in the world, but doesnt live up to expectations... that he'll make a spectacular catch, and follow it up with a dropped ball right into his hands.

But Ben likes him,and he draws alot of double coverage, which helps out Ward and El ALOT ! Still though double coverage or not, u gotta come up with the balls when they are thrown to you.

I was thinking his attitude and basically what you said is part of that (expectations). Kinda makes you wonder if he will sign back with the Steelers for that one year though and try and make a run at the SB and pad his stats a little more than last year.

ironcitychef
03-11-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't want to paint Burress as a bad seed, because I think he's alright. He is what he is. I think he just doesn't go all out on every play. If you want top money($10 million signing bonus) you have to show you will earn it on every play. I remember Ward cutting across the field, then almost running up a player to get in the end zone angainst PHI. Or Troy going towards every opening against CIN returning an int. That is the deal. Plax has a number he wants. NYG gave one offer then increased it. Plax said no. All other clubs got the signal that he wont negotiate. Plain and simple.

JerseySTEEL
03-11-2005, 12:49 AM
it wa sgreat know i hope he gets a 1 year deal somewere and suck ass so he cant get paid big bucks >:)

Steelersfan
03-11-2005, 02:06 AM
He is a #2 reciever but wants to get paid as a #1. That's too bad cause I thought the Giants offered him more than he should have got. He has had one great year and a couple of good years and he thinks he deserves a $10 million plus signing bonus?

JerseySTEEL
03-11-2005, 07:09 AM
ya hes a good num 2 but not a num1, he doenst have the speed nor the hands.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Looks like he's gonna meet w/ Tice and the vikings..

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_312298.html

clevestinks
03-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Yah he supposed to be in Minnesota today, for a contract??? or to buy suprebowl tix off Tice??

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2005, 07:10 PM
:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

clevestinks
03-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Those liitle green guys kill me :bouncy:

JerseySTEEL
03-13-2005, 01:01 AM
he left the viks without a offfer funny as hell.

clevestinks
03-13-2005, 07:26 AM
He did leave Minn already, teams are dwindling down.

JerseySTEEL
03-13-2005, 09:36 AM
there syaign egakles makign him offer that hell refuse he wouldnt want to behind TO lol.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2005, 11:49 AM
yup, grass isnt quite as green on the other side all the time, is it Plax ?? :rolleyes:

ironcitychef
03-14-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I don't get it. Fire your agent(again), then sign a deal to be a #2 receiver begind a bigger ball hawk than Ward? You think you can get enough touches behind Owens? Yeah that will make teams think you're a better receiver.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2005, 01:47 PM
The longer this goes on, the less and less money he's gonna be making. If Im drew rosenhaus, Im telling plax, look, swallow ur pride, come back to the Steelers for a 1 year deal, build up your numbers and look for a big payday in the 2006 offseason. He missed a month's worth of games this year, which didnt help his stats any, thats for sure. Not to mention the dropped balls too.

clevestinks
03-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Ageed swallow pride give us one more productive year, and play hard

JerseySTEEL
03-15-2005, 12:53 PM
as a steeler of course , as a person he can go screw himself.hehe

clevestinks
03-15-2005, 02:02 PM
If he`s not wearing Black and Gold then yes he can go screw himself

ironcitychef
03-16-2005, 02:53 AM
I don't get the logic. Original - wanted a good RB, WR team, QB, and TE.(don't we all!) then his choices are NYG and MIN (around 3 out of 4 wants). That doesn't work so now he wants MIA? No QB, No RB, no WR team, and McMichael will crush any receiving numbers you do make. Come on, if you want to play for one year, just suck it up and come back home. In fact I would bet Plax would become more popular if he came back. We would go nuts every time he scored, even if its only six times all year. Anywhere else he scores 6 times, they'll be saying they got robbed and he's a bust. But its all about those dead presidents.

madrax
03-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Come on, if you want to play for one year, just suck it up and come back home. In fact I would bet Plax would become more popular if he came back. We would go nuts every time he scored, even if its only six times all year. Anywhere else he scores 6 times, they'll be saying they got robbed and he's a bust. But its all about those dead presidents.

I think that after signing Cedrick "the Entertainer" Wilson there is zero to no chance of Burress coming back. I think whatever Wilson lacks in size compared to Plax he more than makes up in speed, hands and route-running.

I also believe we will all be pleasantly surprised by Wilson's production and by this time next year we'll be asking "Plax who....?"

Compare career numbers:

Player Rec Yds Avg YAC YAC Avg
================================================== =
Ward 505 6055 12.0 2121 4.2
Burress 261 4164 16.0 705 2.7
Wilson 97 1203 12.4 291 3.0

HinesWard4Life8682
03-17-2005, 04:56 PM
madrax what are you talking about. I would rather take a healthy burress than a wilson any day. Espacially with ben now

madrax
03-17-2005, 05:07 PM
madrax what are you talking about. I would rather take a healthy burress than a wilson any day. Espacially with ben now

Yes, BUT... at what price? Would you rather have Wilson at $2M per year or Plax at $5M per? is the difference in production worth it?

I would also rather have Ladanian Tomlinson than Duce Staley, or Champ Bailey over Willie Williams. What the Steelers did was acquire a reasonably priced substitute so that they can address other areas of the team.

What happens if it comes time to extend Ward's contract but the Steelers can't because they tied up all the WR money on Burress? You have to make decisions and make do with what's available.

I think Wilson will put up numbers comparable to Burress' for a whole lot less cash. That makes sense to me. And remember, Wilson's had Rattay, Dorsey and Jeff Garcia (while Owens was there) throwing him the ball. Who knows how he'll blossom with Ben as his QB. And on the flip side, it'll be interesting to see what Burress does with Fiedler or Frerotte tossin him the rock.

It's too early to tell on this deal, but based on what we know right now, to me it seems like a wise decision by the front office.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-17-2005, 06:37 PM
the production for wilson will more than likely be more than what plax did, or atleast equal to him. assuming he stays healthy. Where we will really miss plax is the jump balls, fades, and long passes down field where his size was a decisive advantage.

ironcitychef
03-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Well, its official(cause ESPN said so), but Plax is going to the Giants and he got 8.5 mil in bonus money, not the 10 he wanted but close. Now with Plax and Shockey, they can have two high priced 40 catch guys.

clevestinks
03-18-2005, 10:16 AM
I guess he was wanted?

ironcitychef
03-19-2005, 01:09 AM
NYG scares me. I've never seen so much mediocrity get so much money. Manning, Barber, Shockey, Toomer, Burress, Strahan. At least they invested in a kicker instead of taking the last man standing all the time.