PDA

View Full Version : Talking extension with Clark

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
06-27-2009, 12:14 AM
This is great news... hopefully they can get 'er done. :tt02::applaudit:

Steelers, Clark Talking Contract Extension
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 26, 2009, 8:49 p.m.
profootballtalk.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers are interested in signing veteran safety Ryan Clark to a contract extension and have already started discussions with him, according to Jason La Canfora of NFL Network.

A deal could be in the offing prior to training camp, per the report.

Clark, who decked Baltimore Ravens running back Willis McGahee with a memorable, devastating hit in the AFC championship game, signed a four-year, $7 million contract to join the Steelers in 2006 after a stint with the Washington Redskins.

One day later after a short hospital stay for monitoring after suffering a concussion and briefly being knocked out, McGahee said that it was the hardest hit hes ever absorbed.

In 14 starts last season, Clark registered 87 tackles and one interception.

Clark is under contract through this season. Hes due a $1.7 million base salary for 2009.

The 29-year-old received a $1.65 million signing bonus from the Steelers in 2006.

In seven NFL seasons, the former undrafted free agent from LSU has recorded 342 career tackles and five interceptions.

Although hes only listed at 5′11, 205 pounds, Clark is an intimidating hitter capable of bringing down much bigger players.

MasterOfPuppets
06-27-2009, 12:42 AM
i'd like to see him get a new 3 year deal....

fansince'76
06-27-2009, 12:50 AM
i'd like to see him get a new 3 year deal....

Agreed - I'd love to see an extension for Clark in place before TC starts.

Preacher
06-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Glad that this is happening...

but we need a backup too. the way he plays, we need someone to back him up when he gets hurt.

HughC
06-27-2009, 01:20 AM
My first knee-jerk reaction was "get er done!"

Obviously it all depends on how much it costs, but unless his agent is completely unreasonable then he should get an extension. He's only 29 so he certainly has some very good years ahead of him, and he's done more than enough to merit a raise.

Get 'er done!

The Definiti0n
06-27-2009, 01:55 AM
As long as its a 3 year deal and we still resign Big Money MIller. That would only leave Reed right?

Men of Steel
06-27-2009, 02:53 AM
funny how when we first signed Clark off of the Redskins.. i thought " who? whyyyy are we doing this" why dont we just start Anthony Smith right! LOL stupid me.... :banging:

Fact is... Clark had a breakout season last year... and dont see him slowing down...
not only did he knock McGahee back to the First Grade... but remember what he did to sneaky " cant tackle me because i fall to the ground first" Wes Welker....

just look at my pik !!!!! .... need i say more? :chuckle:

wootawnee
06-27-2009, 04:37 AM
He is a big part of the Team.....And a big part of the success......Great posative attitude.....He is a leader by example........

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/01/19/sports/19mcgahee.xlarge1.jpg

stillers4me
06-27-2009, 06:30 AM
We just got a signed Ryan Clark picture of that McGahee hit. it's at Hobby Lobby right now being framed! Git 'r done, boys.......and I'm sure Troy is sayiing the same!

Texasteel
06-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Agreed - I'd love to see an extension for Clark in place before TC starts.

That would be great news. I remember when we signed Clark and some where asking " why do we keep signing these low talent cast offs". Answer? Our people know what the hell their doing. Usually!

Seems to me that even more than any other year th FO has a plan and is working hard at getting everything on that plan done. One right after the another.

It's great to be a Steelers Fan.

Galax Steeler
06-27-2009, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=Texasteel;620434]That would be great news. I remember when we signed Clark and some where asking " why do we keep signing these low talent cast offs". Answer? Our people know what the hell their doing. Usually!QUOTE]

I admit I was one of those people thinking that what are we doing. I can now say that I know why we are doing this. The man plays with passion and hits like a freight train. I hope we can get him signed before training camp starts.

Miller would also be on my list of people to be signed before training camp. If we get these two singed then I will be a happy man.:thumbsup:

StainlessStill
06-27-2009, 07:50 AM
BOOM

Here comes the

BO00OM

Ready or not.

Clark is an underrated Free Safety in this league. The guy is a complete STUD on the field. Get it done, FO!

lilyoder6
06-27-2009, 08:34 AM
would be nice to see clark get a nice lil extension to his contract..

another 2-3 yrs would be good to have

Rek
06-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Clark seems like a great all-around dude, both on and off the field, a family man, and a great hard-hitting compliment to Troy. One of the best FS/SS combos in the league IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBp78N1QpuM

(Personally, I think Ryan Clark had better form)

AllD
06-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Clark knocked McGahee out as the #1 RB for the upcoming season.

mulldog24
06-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I really love that we are getting these contracts done so we can keep our team together.I hope we can get clark,Miller,Reed,Kiesel,and Hampton done!!!!!!!!

7willBheaven
06-27-2009, 11:13 AM
As long as its a 3 year deal and we still resign Big Money MIller. That would only leave Reed right?

Reed, Keisel, Hampton and Parker....then also Colon who only signed a 1 yr tender...i could be missing someone though.

Out of these...i could see Hampton not returning...as long as we can draft or sign someone who in a yr or 2 can take over for Hoke i wouldnt have a problem with it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-27-2009, 11:17 AM

but we need a backup too. the way he plays, we need someone to back him up when he gets hurt.

Because of that...and because this is a contract year, I am keeping a very close eye on Mundy.

Psyychoward86
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Boy, if we get this done, we won't have a whole lot of our own guys to worry about in free agency. Outlook? Good! :thumbsup:

SteelCityMan786
06-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Good to hear that Clark wants an extension and the Steelers are willing to do it. Good Job on BOTH sides. GET R DONE!!!!

Fire Haley
06-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Tell him we'll trade him to Denver if he doesn't give us a hometown discount.

The Duke
06-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Mundy Mundy!! :tt:

plus a possible switch of deshea to backup safety....

Texasteel
06-27-2009, 12:29 PM

That has worried me too. I have always said Clark plays bigger that his body is, and as he gets older he won't recover from these hits as quickly.

Rotorhead
06-29-2009, 12:34 AM
I read somewhere that Deshea will be an option for backup for Clark if needed, which I like as Deshea is smart, solid tackler and always finds a way to impress when he is in the game. I hope get Clark signed and Mundy can fill the backup role. I am certainly happy with our depth at this position for sure.

SunshineMan21
06-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Glad to hear we're keeping Clark around--he shouldn't be terribly expensive either, and he's a quality guy. When he was out, the difference between him and Anthony Smith was noticeable.

Now we need to get Miller inked. I think we will--Hampton is the one I'm worried about, as it's so tough to find true 3-4 NTs and Hoke is getting up there in years.

Preacher
06-29-2009, 03:05 AM
That has worried me too. I have always said Clark plays bigger that his body is, and as he gets older he won't recover from these hits as quickly.

That's my thoughts as well. Both of our safeties play a game that punishes their bodies.

CanadianSteel
06-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Steelers get flack from media and fans sometimes for their lack of action in Free Agency. But Clark is one of those solid FA's that the Steelers have a knack for finding and making their carreres blossom much like James Farior mold !

grinch4227
06-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Just thought I'd put my two cents worth in on Clark's character. My nine year old son and I were in between baseball games hanging out at a mall in Butler a couple of weeks ago. We had no idea that Clark was there signing autographs, and we stumbled upon his booth just as he was leaving. Talk about sheer disappointment in the eyes of a nine year old. I was just heading into the, "you know sometimes in life, you just miss things . . ." dad speech for my son when he spotted Clark heading into a nearby store in the mall. I gave him the nod, and he went running in after him. I was a little apprehensive, thinking that this is a professional athlete, but what the hell, I thought, he isn't a cincinatti rapsheet bungle. Furthermore, we don't have prima donnas in pittsburgh. When my son came out beaming, he had two autographs from Clark, who had also shaken his hand and spent a couple of minutes talking to him. Yeah, I'd say he is a stand-up community guy. I hope we do sign him. It is veteran players in the Steelers locker room like this who have kept the community first, team first mentality that this team has had since I was a kid. I hope it continues. Not only that, he is a great safety!

Psyychoward86
06-29-2009, 01:29 PM

That should get him going :flap:

sherlock
06-29-2009, 01:48 PM
For what it`s worth he was my player of last season.:applaudit:

43Hitman
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM

:laughing: Well played sir, well played. :applaudit:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
06-29-2009, 04:11 PM

It would make more of an impact if we tell him he will be traded to ........
CLEVELAND. That ought scare the shit out of him. :chuckle: